Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #27

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #27

JANUARY IS ROTARY AWARENESS MONTH.

NO MEETING MONDAY 27th. JANUARY 2014

Wayne Lewis and Dick Jennings selling raffle tickets.

Carole from Ganmain picks the winning ticket

However we still provided a street raffle for the community on Saturday 25th January.  Thanks go to all those members who volunteered to sell tickets.  We made a clear profit of $486.00.  The prize was won by Keith O’ Halloran of Coolamon and Keith donated the prize of $60 cash back to our club, thanks Keith.

AUSTRALIA DAY 26th JANUARY 2014

Congratulations to our Coolamon Shire Australia Day Award winners! Pictured from left to right with our Australia Day Ambassador Anupam Sharma & MP Michael McCormack are:
Young Citizen of the Year -Hayden Minchin
Community Event of the Year – Ganmain P&C Triathlon (accepted by Jason Hamblin)
Citizen of the Year – Graham Stinson
Shane Till Memorial Award for Sporting Achievement – Murray Stephenson
Young Sporting Achievement Award – Claire Donoghue

Thank you to the Matong Committee for organising such a fantastic celebration!

Mark Saddler, who performed a wonderful Acknowledgement to Country at the Australia Day Ceremony, is pictured here shaking hands with Mayor John Seymour.

Bernadette’s Birthday

One of our Rotarains from Ganmain celebrated her special birthday last Saturday, Bernadette had a great day and was supported by her many relatives and friends.  Congratulations Bernadette many more to come!

Diary Reminders

*Monday 3rd February Junee Rotary Combined Meeting with Guest Speaker Gayle Commens.  Venue Coolamon Sports and Recreation Club Gilbert Catering.  Partners Night.

Monday 10th February Regular Meeting followed by a Board Meeting.

Thursday 13th February BINGO Dick Jennings, Rodney Jarrett, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd February PETS in Young

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Saturday 22nd March Music for Mates Concert in Coolamon.

Saturday 19th April EASTER MARKETS in Coolamon.

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos.

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Rotary International President Ron Burton will be onwww.facebook.com/RotaryPresident for an hour on Monday, 27 January, at 10 a.m. CT (Chicago) with the chair-elect forRotarians on Social Networks Fellowship (ROSNF) talking about how to raise #Rotary awareness.  Tune in on Monday, 27 January, at 10 a.m. Central Time (Chicago) when Rotary President Ron Burton talks with Past Rotary District 7190 Governor Melissa Ward, chair-elect for Rotarians on Social Networks Fellowship (ROSNF), about how #Rotary members can raise Rotary awareness.

The Q&A will be on this Facebook page using the comments section.

You also can sign up for it as an event atwww.facebook.com/events/635823073145430/

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Deuncle

A woman who is 3 months pregnant falls into a deep coma.

6 months later she awakes and asks the doctor about her baby.

Doctor: You had twins, a boy and a girl, and they are both fine.

Luckily, your brother named them.

Woman: Oh no, not my brother!

He’s an idiot! What did he name the girl?

Doctor: Denise.

Woman: Well that isn’t too bad, and what did he name the boy?

Doctor: Denephew

Last Wish

An elderly man, 82, just returned from the doctor’s only to find he didn’t have long to live. So he summoned the three most important people in his life to tell them of his fate.

1.His Doctor
2.His Priest
3.His Lawyer

“Well, today I found out I don’t have long to live. So I have summoned you three here, because you are the most important people in my life, and I need to ask a favor. Today, I am going to give each of you an envelope with $50,000 dollars inside. When I die, I would ask that all three of you throw the money into my grave.”

After the man passed on, the 3 people happened to run into each other. The doctor said, “I have to admit I kept $10,000 dollars of his money, he owed me on lots of medical bills. But, I threw the other $40,000 in like he requested.”

The priest said, “I have to admit also, I kept $25,000 dollars for the
church. It’s all going to a good cause. I did, however, throw the other $25,000 in the grave.”

Well, the lawyer just couldn’t believe what he was hearing! “I am surprised at you two taking advantage of him like that. I wrote a check for the full amount and threw it all in!”

ROTARY INFORMATION

INTERNATIONAL ASSEMBLY

Our incoming District Governors for the next Rotary year go to San Diego each year for their training as a District Governor.  DGE David Kennedy from our District 9700 was there. 12-18 January 2014 Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego San Diego, California, USA The International Assembly is more than just a training meeting for the incoming class of district governors. It’s your opportunity to gain inspiration, exchange ideas, and discover new perspectives as you prepare for your term. In addition to being the first to learn the RI president’s plans for the next year, you’ll also have the chance to share your own district’s goals and activities with your fellow classmates.  It’s an exciting, fun, and informative week that will motivate you for the work ahead. “I had the knowledge. The difference is that now I know how to use it and I have the motivation to use it.” – Syed Shahab Balkhi (District 3271), describing his International Assembly experience. Get a preview of the International Assembly. Learn more about the role of district governor.

RI President-nominee Ravi Ravindran, RI President-elect Gary Huang, 2013-14 RI President Ron Burton, and their spouses watch the Grand March.

Brazilian District Governors-elect and their spouses enjoy the Grand March.

Grand March participants helped represent leaders from some of the 537 Rotary districts worldwide.

Ed Futa, master of ceremonies and past Rotary general secretary, hosts the International Festival Talent Night.

RI President-elect Gary C.K. Huang performs during International Festival Talent Night.

© Rotary International. All Rights Reserved.

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

Best photo bomb.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

DAVID SHELDRICK WILDLIFE TRUST

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust embraces all measures that compliment the conservation, preservation and protection of wildlife. These include anti-poaching, safe guarding the natural environment, enhancing community awareness, addressing animal welfare issues, providing veterinary assistance to animals in need, rescuing and hand rearing elephant and rhino orphans, along with other species that can ultimately enjoy a quality of life in wild terms when grown.

WEB SITE DSWT

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION 2014

SOME ATTRACTIONS IN AND AROUND SYDNEY

BONDI BEACH SYDNEY

The Host Organising Committee for the Rotary International Convention 2014 looks forward to welcoming you to Sydney, Australia’s beautiful harbour city and host of the 2000 Olympic Games.

The Rotary International Convention 2014 will be held at Sydney Olympic Park from Sunday 1st June to Wednesday 4th June 2014. There will be plenty of exciting and interesting things going on during the Sydney Convention, only some of which will be at the convention itself. We invite you to get out and explore our wonderful city and experience our Aussie culture first hand. This section of our site will help you uncover what’s on in Sydney and around our island nation during the 2014 Sydney Convention.

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

The programme Click to Enlarge:

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION CHICAGO 2005

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the 2005 Chicago my first Convention (remember to click on the thumb nails to get a larger photo):

FOOT NOTE

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Gates Foundation Annual Letter

This annual letter from Melinda and Bill Gates is well worth reading in it’s  entirety.   They go to dispell a few myths about helping those in need.  They also have a very positive attitude and outlook for the future.

Gates Foundation Annual Letter

By almost any measure, the world is better than it has ever been. People are living longer, healthier lives. Many nations that were aid recipients are now self-sufficient. You might think that such striking progress would be widely celebrated, but in fact, Melinda and I are struck by how many people think the world is getting worse. The belief that the world can’t solve extreme poverty and disease, isn’t just mistaken. It is harmful. That’s why in this year’s letter we take apart some of the myths that slow down the work. The next time you hear these myths, we hope you will do the same.

– Bill Gates

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #26

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #26

JANUARY IS ROTARY AWARENESS MONTH.

POLIO PLUS CAMPAIGN

The Global Polio Eradication Initiative is a public-private partnership led by national governments and spearheaded by the World Health Organization (WHO), Rotary International, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). Its goal is to eradicate polio worldwide.

MEETING MONDAY 20th. JANUARY 2014

Tonight our special guest speaker was our own PP and PE Garth Perkin and PP Marg Perkin went to India to work with Dr Alok Sharma from the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga on Alok’s project Darkness to Light.  We had several guests tonight including Mary Ann Kelly from the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga who was also on the trip to India with Garth and Marg.  Other guests were Marilyn Jennings, Helen Lewis, Susan Glassford and past member Ray Foley and Maria.  16 of our members attended well done!!

Garth put together a good selection of slides from the trip and it was obvious that Garth and Mary Ann are passionate about the work being done by the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga under the leadership of Dr. Alok Sharma.  During this eye clinic some:

•2,500 attended camp

•1,200 registered to attend
•269 cataract operations over 3 days (70 were to be done in following days)
•427 sets of glasses (70 more issued in following week)
•1,200 medicines dispersed
•500 glasses within a 25 km radius of Yamuna Nagar to be distributed (175 had been distributed to 3 schools at the time)
•Over the following 2 months after camp, 52 schools will be visited for glasses distribution
The funds that were raised by the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga at the dinner last August in Wagga Wagga, where Ajoy Joshi from Nilgiri’s Indian Restaurant in Sydney donated all the food and his time and the dinner was plentiful and delicious.  Over $25,000 was raised that night for the 2013 Eye Camp.

Some of the team of 13 that went to India for Darkness to Light in 2013.

Diary Reminders

Saturday January 25th Coolamon Street Raffle.

Monday 27th January NO MEETING. Australia Day Holiday.

*Monday 3rd February Junee Rotary Combined Meeting with Guest Speaker Gayle Cummins.  Venue Coolamon Sports and Recreation Club Gilbert Catering.  Partners Night.

Monday 10th February Regular Meeting followed by a Board Meeting.

Thursday 13th February BINGO Dick Jennings, Rodney Jarrett, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

2013-14 RI President Ron Burton speaking at the International Assembly, 13 January.

Ron D. Burton retired as president of the University of Oklahoma Foundation Inc. in 2007. He is a member of the U.S. Supreme Court Bar, the Oklahoma Bar Association, and the Cleveland County Bar Association. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the ABA Section of Taxation Exempt Organizations Committee, and the ABA Section of Real Property, Probate, and Trust Committee on Charitable Organizations. He was vice president of the Last Frontier Council of the Boy Scouts of America and received the Silver Beaver Award. He also received the Norman United Way and Junior League Volunteer of the Year Civic Award.

A Rotarian since 1979, Burton has served RI as director, president’s aide, RI president’s representative, committee and task force member, Rotary information counselor, zone trainer, International Assembly group discussion leader and moderator, Council on Legislation representative, and district governor. He also chaired the 2011 New Orleans Convention Committee. As director, he served as chair of the Executive, Administration, and Audit Committees.

His extensive service to The Rotary Foundation includes vice chair and member of the Foundation Trustees, vice chair of the Future Vision Committee, and member of the International PolioPlus Committee and PolioPlus Speakers Bureau. Other service includes national adviser for the Permanent Fund Initiative, member of Permanent Fund Leadership Team, and consultant to the Development Committee. In addition, he has served as a regional Rotary Foundation coordinator and moderator of the regional Rotary Foundation coordinator training program.

Burton has received the RI Service Above Self Award and the Foundation’s Citation for Meritorious Service, Distinguished Service Award, and International Service Award for a Polio-Free World. He and his wife, Jetta, are Paul Harris Fellows, Benefactors, Major Donors, and members of the Paul Harris, Bequest, and Arch C. Klumph Societies.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Tickle Me Elmo:

There is a factory in Northern Minnesota which makes the Tickle Me Elmo toys. The toy laughs when you tickle it under the arms. Well, Lena is hired at The Tickle Me Elmo factory and she reports for her first day promptly at 8:00 AM.

The next day at 8:45 AM there is a knock at the Personnel Manager’s door. The Foreman throws open the door and begins to rant about the new employee. He complains that she is incredibly slow and the whole line is backing up, putting the entire production line behind schedule.

The Personnel Manager decides he should see this for himself, so the 2 men march down to the factory floor. When they get there the line is so backed up that there are Tickle Me Elmo’s all over the factory floor and they’re really beginning to pile up. At the end of the line stands Lena surrounded by mountains of Tickle Me Elmo’s.

She has a roll of plush red fabric and a huge bag of small marbles. The 2 men watch in amazement as she cuts a little piece of fabric, wraps it around two marbles and begins to carefully sew the little package between Elmo’s legs.

The Personnel Manager bursts into laughter. After several minutes of hysterics he pulls himself together and approaches Lena. “I’m sorry,” he says to her, barely able to keep a straight face, “but I think you misunderstood the instructions I gave you yesterday…”

“Your job is to give Elmo two test tickles.”

Visit to the Doctor.

A woman accompanied her husband to the doctor’s office.

After his checkup, the doctor called the wife into his office alone.

He said, “Your husband is suffering from a very severe stress disorder.

If you don’t do the following, your husband will surely die.”

“Each morning, fix him a healthy breakfast. Be pleasant at all times.

For lunch make him a nutritious meal.

For dinner prepare an especially nice meal for him. Don’t burden him with chores.

Don’t discuss your problems with him, it will only make his stress worse. No nagging. And most importantly, make love with your husband several times a week.

If you can do this for the next 10 months to a year, I think your husband will regain his health completely.”

On the way home, the husband asked his wife. “What did the doctor say?”

“He said you’re going to die!”

ROTARY INFORMATION

ROTARY RECEIVES $1.85 MILLION FROM SAN DIEGO BUSINESS LEADER

EVANSTON, Ill. (Jan. 15, 2014) — San Diego businessman and Rotary club member Terrence Caster and his wife Barbara have donated $1.85 million to Rotary in support of the humanitarian service group’s polio eradicationand peace studies programs.

“Barbara and I are blessed to be fruitful in our family business A-1 Self Storage, and we’ve always felt it is important to give back and help others,” said Caster, the company’s founder and a member of the Rotary Club of La Mesa. “As a result, we are involved in numerous charities. But as a Rotarian, I can think of no cause more worthy than Rotary’s work to end polio and promote world peace.”

The donation, announced during an annual conference of Rotary leaders in San Diego, is among the largest single gifts ever made to the organization by an individual Rotary club member.

FULL STORY HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA

MOUNT KENYA 2015

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

DARKNESS TO LIGHT

Ajoy Joshi and Dr Alok Sharma

CONTACT THE ROTARY CLUB OF WAGGA WAGGA TO DONATE TO DARKNESS TO LIGHT. WEB SITE:

WAGGA WAGGA ROTARY CLUB

SYDNEY HARBOUR CIRCULAR QUAY

The Host Organising Committee for the Rotary International Convention 2014 looks forward to welcoming you to Sydney, Australia’s beautiful harbour city and host of the 2000 Olympic Games.

The Rotary International Convention 2014 will be held at Sydney Olympic Park from Sunday 1st June to Wednesday 4th June 2014. There will be plenty of exciting and interesting things going on during the Sydney Convention, only some of which will be at the convention itself. We invite you to get out and explore our wonderful city and experience our Aussie culture first hand. This section of our site will help you uncover what’s on in Sydney and around our island nation during the 2014 Sydney Convention.

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION CHICAGO 2005

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the 2005 Chicago my first Convention (remember to click on the thumb nails to get a larger photo):

FOOT NOTE

GLOBAL GRANT PROGRESS

David Hastie RC of Nairobi and James Kabau of the KTTC sign the MoU in Nairobi last week.

The saga continues with our global grant for the children of Mathare in Nairobi.  We are now in partnership with the Rotary Club of Nairobi and President David Hastie.  The application is now ready for signing off and lodging to the Rotary Foundation following the signing of a memorandum of agreement between Rotary Nairobi and the Kenya Technical Teachers College.

This means that the $25,000, one third of the Kilimanjaro 2007 Climb will now be matched by the Rotary Foundation with a sum of $20,000 bringing the total to $45,000 aprox.  This depends on the Foundation being happy with the application and give their approval.  It has been a complex and frustrating journey but we are close to a final outcome.

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Update on ShelterBoxes to The Philippines

‘This tent is our home’

‘We are so happy with the ShelterBox tent because when we came out of the midwife’s house we didn’t have a house anymore to go back to,’ explained Hazel. ‘Now this tent is our home.’
The interior is immaculate. The family have built a beautiful wooden bench for the tent, hung curtains to give Hazel some privacy while she is breastfeeding Yole, set up a neatly organised pantry for their food as well as a dresser with decorations and family momentos. Shoes are never allowed inside and the kids know they are not allowed to play in the tents. Many other families on the island follow suit and beautify their tents into real homes knowing that it may take some time to rebuild their houses again.

FULL STORY HERE.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #25

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #25

JANUARY IS ROTARY ROTARY AWARENESS MONTH.

Today, India marks three years since its last case of polio. Long considered the hardest place on earth to end polio, India’s triumph over polio is a significant public health achievement, leaving a lasting impact on children’s health in India and around the world.

Join Rotary in the fight to end polio and together we can create a polio-free world.http://www.endpolio.org/

MEETING MONDAY 13th. JANUARY 2014

We have begun the year with a board meeting and 12 of our members attended.  This was a 100% attendance of the board, well done.

President Dick wants to start the year off with a bang and away we go.  Some of the decisions made last night included:

1.  Combined meeting with Junee Rotary Club on Monday 3rd February in Coolamon with the guest speaker from Junee Gayle Commins.  Gayle will be talking on her recent trip to India.

2.  Reminder that the 6 monthly membership fees are now due.

3.  Committee formed to look at Rotary taking over the Coolamon Scarecrow Festival in October.  The committee is made up of Henk Hulsman, Garth Perkin (Chair), Ian Durham, Leslie Weston and John Glassford.

4.  Neil Munro reported on bingo and Grahame Miles requested that e purchase a trolley for the Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital from the proceeds of bingo.  Aprox. $4,000 will be required to invest in such a trolley fully equipped these trolleys are life saving.

5.  Trike Club Catering.  Another committee was formed to get on with the planning for this event on March 14th in Wagga Wagga.

6.  Ian Jennings handed out our new club shirts most impressive.

President Dick has asked that all of our members attend our first regular meeting for 2014 next Monday night.

Next Board Meeting Monday 10th February.

Diary Reminders

Monday 20th January Regular Meeting all members are requested to attend our first meeting for 2014.  Hope to see you all there.

*Monday 3rd February Junee Rotary Combined Meeting with Guest Speaker Gayle Cummins.  Venue Coolamon Sports and Recreation Club Gilbert Catering.  Partners Night.

We often talk about Rotary as an extended family, with all of its branches and generations. We value our youth program participants and alumni as important members of the Rotary family, and we place a special emphasis on service to children and families. We do this because we know that for any family, the youngest generation is the future. That is absolutely true for us in Rotary.

We know that it is essential for us to bring in a new generation of younger Rotary members. We’ve spent a lot of time talking about how to attract young professionals to Rotary – but perhaps we haven’t talked enough about why they don’t stay.

MORE ON THIS STORY

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Young Doctor

A young doctor had moved out to a small community to replace a doctor who was retiring.

The older gent suggested the young one accompany him on his rounds so the community could become used to a new doctor.

At the first house a woman complained, “I’ve been a little sick to my stomach.”

The older doctor said, “Well, you’ve probably been overdoing the fresh fruit. Why not cut back on the amount you’ve been eating and see if that does the trick?”

As they left the younger man said, “You didn’t even examine that woman. How’d you come to your diagnosis so quickly?”

“I didn’t have to. You noticed I dropped my stethoscope on the floor in there? When I bent over to pick it up, I noticed a half dozen banana peels in the trash. That was what was probably making her sick.”

“Huh,” the younger doctor said, “Pretty sneaky. I think I’ll try that at the next house.”

Arriving at the next house, they spent several minutes talking with an elderly woman.

She complained that she just didn’t have the energy she once did. “I’m feeling terribly run down lately.”

“You’ve probably been doing too much work for the church,” the younger doctor told her. “Perhaps you should cut back a bit and see if that helps.”

As they left, the elder doc said, “Your diagnosis is almost certainly correct, but how did you arrive at it?” “Well, just like you at the last house, I dropped my stethoscope. When I bent down to retrieve it, I noticed the preacher under the bed.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

HUANG ENCOURAGES CLUB MEMBERS TO ‘LIGHT UP ROTARY’

RI President-elect Gary C.K. Huang chose Light Up Rotary as his theme for 2014-15. Huang was inspired by the teachings of Chinese philosopher Confucious who said: “It is better to light a single candle, than to sit and curse the darkness.”

FULL STORY HERE

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

Gentle Tim one of the last remaining giant tuskers in Amboseli National Park last week.  Join us in April 2015 when we go back to Kenya to climb Mount Kenya and visit Tim in Amboseli.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

In recognition of THREE years polio free in India please support our Foundation’s Polio Plus programme:

END POLIO NOW

Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney.

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION LOS ANGELES  2008

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the 2008 Los  Angeles Convention (remember to click on the thumb nails to get a larger photo):

FOOT NOTE

STAY COOL THIS WEEK

Websites of Interest

New Rotary Theme 2014-2015

RI President-elect Gary C.K. Huang chose Light Up Rotary as his theme for 2014-15. Huang was inspired by the teachings of Chinese philosopher Confucious who said: “It is better to light a single candle, than to sit and curse the darkness.”
“There are so many problems in the world, so many people who need help. Many people say, ‘There’s nothing I can do.’ So they sit there doing nothing. Meanwhile everything stays dark,” Huang told the 537 district governors and their spouses and partners who are attending the 2014 International Assembly in San Diego, California.
“The Rotary way is the Confucius way. The Rotary way is to light a candle. I light one, you light one, 1.2 million Rotarians light one. Together, we light up the world,” said Huang, who is a member of the Rotary Club of Taipei in Taiwan.
After announcing his theme at the opening session of the five-day training meeting, Huang urged club members to Light Up Rotary in the coming year by hosting a Rotary Day in their community and including local Rotaract and Interact members in their service projects.
“How you Light Up Rotary is up to you,” Huang said. “You know where you are strong, you know what your community needs, and you know how you can help.”

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #24

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #24

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OUR READERS.

President Dick Jennings and all our members wish all of our friends who read our bulletin a great year ahead for yourselves, your family and our Rotary Family.  Happy New Year!

JANUARY IS ROTARY ROTARY AWARENESS MONTH.

Most of us who read this bulletin are Rotarians or connected to Rotary and we are well aware of what Rotary means to us and what work we do locally and internationally.  One way to create awareness of Rotary is to let our extended family and friends know about Rotary.  One area that does attract people to volunteer is the ability to work overseas with an organisation such as Rotary.

Let everyone know about the very recent help that Rotary via ShleterBox is doing right now in The Philippines after the typhoon.  In order for you to do that you need to know what has been done via ShleterBox and here is the latest news from ShelterBox:

ShelterBox Reponse Team members Alice Jefferson (left-centre) and Ayeasia Macintyre (right) among Australian Naval staff. Photo courtesy of the Australian Navy.

Australian Forces have been providing logistical support for ShelterBox in the Philippines, as the international disaster relief charity continues to bring emergency shelter and other vital aid to Typhoon Haiyan survivors in hard to reach areas of the Asian country.

The Australian Navy’s HMAS Tobruk transported over 300 ShelterBox disaster relief tents, vital water purification devices and mosquito nets to North Cebu, Central Visayas, helping ShelterBox continue to support those suffering most after the typhoon.

READ MORE HERE

NEW YEAR’S EVE 2013

Our members ran the Rotary Caravan from 6.00 pm until 9.30 pm.  The Kranskis went before we started and the hot dogs were popular however the lamb rolls were a great hit, thanks to Paul Weston!  Thanks go to all of our members who gave up part of NYE to help feed the hungry.  The night in Coolamon was hailed as another great success and here are some photos taken early into NYE 2013.

Diary Reminders

***Monday 13th January Board Meeting .  Club catering.***

Monday 20th January Regular meeting Possible Guest speaker TBA.

Above is a reminder that we have to plan for this event in March and get a committee working asap.  Please contact me JG on 6927 6027 or email!

*****STOP PRESS RI Convention early bird discount of $100 extended to January 16th.

Jetta and Rotary International President Ron Burton getting ready to ride the train on New Year’s Day. All aboard!

Happy New Year’s! May your year be filled with happiness as you Engage Rotary, Change Lives! Thank you for all you do for Rotary and making a difference and taking action in communities worldwide.

Rotary has awarded Her Majesty The Queen this week with the Rotary International Award of Honour to celebrate the 60th anniversary of her Coronation. Since 1990, the Rotary International President has granted the this award to a few deserving individuals including the late Nelson Mandela, Pope Benedict XVI, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, Her Majesty Queen Noor of Jordan and the late King Hussein of Jordan. Read more: http://bit.ly/1gDUInU

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Listen to the Sound of Silence

There once was a farmer who discovered that he had lost his watch in the barn. It was no ordinary watch because it had sentimental value for him.

After searching high and low among the hay for a long while; he gave up and enlisted the help of a group of children playing outside the barn.

He promised them that the person who found it would be rewarded.

Hearing this, the children hurried inside the barn, went through and around the entire stack of hay but still could not find the watch.

Just when the farmer was about to give up looking for his watch, a little boy went up to him and asked to be given another chance. The farmer looked at him and thought, “Why not? After all, this kid looks sincere enough.”

So the farmer sent the little boy back in the barn. After a while the little boy came out with the watch in his hand! The farmer was both happy and surprised and so he asked the boy how he succeeded where the rest had failed.

The boy replied, “I did nothing but sit on the ground and listen. In the silence, I heard the ticking of the watch and just looked for it in that direction.”

Moral :

A peaceful mind can think better than a worked up mind. Allow a few minutes of silence to your mind every day, and see, how sharply it helps you to set your life the way you expect it to be!

The soul always knows what to do to heal itself.. The challenge is to silence the mind…

ROTARY INFORMATION

A DANGEROUS IDEA OFFERS HOPE FOR GIRLS IN AFGHANISTAN

More than 400 girls, including these seven-year-old best friends, attend the Zabuli Education Center outside Kabul. Razia Jan (far right), a U.S. Rotarian who returned to her native Afghanistan, opened the school in 2008.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of Razia’s Ray of Hope Foundation

In 2005, Razia Jan came up with a dangerous idea: to start a free private school for girls in her native Afghanistan. The Taliban were using extreme violence to keep girls from learning. In 2008, the year she opened the school, terrorists in the country — armed with bombs, poison gas, guns, grenades, and acid — killed 149 teachers, students, and employees in Afghan schools.

But Jan did not intend to let terrorists stop her. She approached Afghan Ministry of Education officials and persuaded them to donate a piece of land in a village 30 miles outside Kabul. Today, the Zabuli Education Center is in its sixth year and has a roster of more than 400 girls in kindergarten through ninth grade………………

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

2014 starts a 14 month adventure as we plan to go back to Africa to climb Mount Kenya.  This is the third in a trilogy of African mountains that we will have hiked and climbed.  I will use this section to highlight our plans and aspirations as we head towards the 25th April 2015.  We will also have a web site designated to the Mount Kenya 2015 Adventure.

If your club would like PDG Fred Loneragan and I to make a presentation to your club we will be delighted to do so.

Mount Kenya 2015.

The Road to Mount Kenya 2015 begins in Ganmain, Coolamon, Wagga Wagga, Henty…..so far!

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

I would like to extend my invitation as the Chair of RAGES, a proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species, to you all to join our group.  You can join us on line here:

RAGES MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION.

Our current board will be applying to Rotary International with more information (that RI requested), for us to be approved as  a Rotarian Action Group.  We hope for a positive answer at the next RI Board Meeting in June.

*****EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15th 2014!
The early bird registration deadline has been extended to January 15th!  So if you have been having trouble registering, don’t worry! The cheapest registration fee is still available.
RI President Ron Burton extended the early registration deadline to 15 January for the 2014 Rotary convention (#ricon14), saving US$100 off the registration fee. Register now atwww.riconvention.org/en/2014/Register/Pages/ridefault.aspx. 

Read more at www.rotary.org/myrotary/en/discounted-early-registration-extended-2014-rotary-international-convention

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION LOS ANGELES  2008

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the 2008 Los  Angeles Convention (remember to click on the thumb nails to get a larger photo):

FOOT NOTE

WE ARE READY TO POUNCE INTO 2014!

Websites of Interest

Happy New Year 2014

Happy New Year to all our members and to all of you who read our bulletins and access our web site.  We look forward to a great year of Rotary work and fun!  From your bulletin and web site editor, JG.