Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin # 9

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #9

MEETING August 27th. 2012

PRESIDENT PAUL WESTON’S REPORT

Monday’s meeting was a “member’s night” and featured John Burns recounting his life story.  It’s always interesting hearing the twists and turns that one’s life takes, and John’s story was no exception.  Although John grew up in the suburbs of Sydney, he has always identified more with country living, and is much more at home in Coolamon than in the Big Smoke.  We followed John’s progression from boyhood through professional life from industrial arts teacher to head of school, witnessing a variety of clothing styles ranging from 70’s chic through to contemporary, with varying amounts and length of hair.  John and Val’s two children are now married and starting families of their own, which has led to the empty nesters doing a bit of world travel.

One of the more surprising aspects of John’s life is his love of cars, a passion embodied by his restoration of a Datsun 240Z with his son a number of years ago.  John has been involved with service clubs over the years, and it’s great to have John on board as one of the newest members of Coolamon Rotary.  Thanks for sharing your life story, John!  Stay tuned for next month’s instalment, which is scheduled to be provided by Ian Durham (we’re working through the alphabet, and although Craig Corrigan is next on the list, his current leave of absence means we’ll hear his life story at a later data).

A few updates of interest.  Our next meeting with the business owners and shopkeepers in the shire will likely take place in mid-October.  Arrangements are being made to have an outside speaker make a presentation on marketing, so stay tuned.  MP Michael McCormack will be speaking on the 24th of September, which is expected to be a well-attended event.  Don’t forget to check the Bingo roster for next week, and keep the 30th of September in mind since we’ll be running our food van at the Scarecrow Festival organised by the Coolamon Men’s Shed.

That’s all for now.  Onward and upward!.

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

John Burns and Past President Marg Perkin with Past RI President Kalyan Banerjee.

REMINDERS

Monday 3rd September TO BE ADVISED.

Monday 10th September Business Meeting including Board Meeting Club Catering.

Thursday 13th September BINGO Rostered on: Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman, Dick Jennings, Neil Munro.

*Monday September 17th DG Greg Brown’s visit. Gilbert Catering.

Rotary Peace Conference Wagga Wagga September 21st. – 23rd.

*Monday 24th September 2012 Guest Speaker the Hon. Michael McCormack MP Federal Member for Riverina Gilbert Catering.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

President Sakuji Tanaka in Japan

I’m back in Japan for ten days before heading off to Brazil. This is the first time I’ve set foot in Japan since taking office in July, so I’m really enjoying these precious moments with my family. I will also attend the Japan-Korea Goodwill Conference being held in Tokyo on 31 August-1 September, an excellent opportunity to promote Peace Through Service.

会長就任以来初めて日本に帰国しました。今回はわずか10日間の滞在ですが、久しぶりに家族と過ごす時間を楽しんでいます。8月31日と9月1日に東京で開かれる日韓親善会議に出席後、地球の裏側ブラジルへと発つ予定です。

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

1st Blonde Joke This Year

A blonde walks by a travel agency and notices a sign in the window, “Cruise Special. $99!”

So she goes inside, lays her money on the counter and says, “I’d like the $99 cruise special, please.”

The agent says, “Yes, ma’am.”

He grabs her, drags her into the back room, ties her into a large inner tube, pulls her out the back door and downhill to the river bank, where he pushes her in and sends her floating down the river.

A second blonde comes by a few minutes later, sees the sign, goes inside, lays down her money, and asks for the $99 special.

She too is tied to an inner tube and sent floating down the river. Drifting into stronger current, she eventually catches up with the first blonde.

They float side by side for awhile before the first blonde asks, “Do they serve refreshments on this cruise”?

The second blonde replies, “They didn’t last year.”

Golfing’s Top 10 Caddy Replies

10.) Golfer: “Think I’m going to drown myself in the lake.”
Caddy: “Think you can keep your head down that long”?

9.) Golfer: “I’d move Heaven and Earth to break 100 on this course.”
Caddy: “Try Heaven, you’ve already moved most of the Earth.

8.) Golfer: “Do you think my game is improving”?
Caddy: “Yes sir, you miss the ball much closer now.”

7.) Golfer: “Do you think I can get there with a 5 iron”?
Caddy: “Eventually.”

6.) Golfer: “You’ve got to be the worst caddy in the world.”
Caddy: “I don’t think so, sir. That would be too much of a coincidence.”

5.) Golfer: “Please stop checking your watch. It’s too much of a distraction.”
Caddy: “It’s not a watch, it’s a compass.”

4.) Golfer: “How do you like my game”?
Caddy: “Very good, sir, but personally, I prefer golf.”

3.) Golfer: “Do you think it’s a sin to play on Sunday”?
Caddy: “The way you play, sir, it’s a sin on any day.”

2.) Golfer: “This is the worst course I’ve ever played on.”
Caddy: “This isn’t the golf course. We left that an hour ago.”

1.) Golfer: “That can’t be my ball, it’s too old.”
Caddy: “It’s been a long time since we teed off, sir.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

SHELTERBOX

This week we look at one of the very best Rotary projects in the world today:

ShelterBox was founded by Tom Henderson OBE, a Rotarian and former Royal Navy search and rescue diver.

He saw that the aid response to most disasters was in the form of food and medicine to help people survive the immediate aftermath.

Little or no assistance was given in terms of proper shelter to help them through the first few days, weeks and months as they tried to rebuild their lives. ShelterBox was launched to fill that void.

In 1999, Tom started researching the idea, sourcing equipment and twisting arms to get the project off the ground. His persistence paid off in April 2000 when ShelterBox was launched and the Rotary Club of Helston-Lizard in Cornwall adopted it as its millennium project. Little did they know that it would become the largest Rotary club project in the world, with an ever-growing number of international affiliates.

The first consignment of 143 boxes was sent to earthquake victims in the Indian state of Gujarat in January 2001. Over the next three years the project matured and by the end of 2004 nearly 2,600 boxes had been dispatched, following 16 major disasters. On 26 December 2004, news came of the devastating Indian Ocean Tsunami and ShelterBox faced its most significant challenge, one that would change its course forever. Donations and volunteers poured in and we were able to ramp up our operations on a scale unimaginable just six months earlier.  More below:

SHELTERBOX WEB SITE

TOO CUTE

At the Melbourne Zoo

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Governor of District 9700  Greg Brown

Coolamon Club President  Paul Weston

Coolamon Club Secretary  John Glassford

Coolamon Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Rotarians For Fighting AIDS AUSTRALIA: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Shelterbox in The Philippines August 2012

ShelterBox Response Teams (SRTs) have been in the Philippines over the past month delivering much needed aid to families whose homes were flooded by Tropical Storm Haikui.

Dams on nearby rivers broke and the monsoon storm poured 30 centimetres of rain on the capital Manila, the worst downpour it had seen in three years, causing floodwaters to rise and damage to infrastructure.

‘It’s like a water world,’ said Benito Ramos, the head of the country’s disaster response agency.

ShelterBox has been working in and around Manila providing emergency shelter and other non-food items to families in need, including towns around Lake Laguna.

Fionn McKee is a ShelterBox Operations Coordinator who has been helping coordinate ShelterBox’s response in country and speaks about the deployment from Manila:

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin # 8

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #8

MEETING August 20th. 2012

Dick Thompson and Neil Munro

Tonight we had the pleasure of listening to Dick Thompson, brother of Bill Thompson a well known local identity.  Dick has lived in Yorkshire for the past 24 years after leaving Coolamon.  Dick like his brother Bill is a lawyer and practices in a small town about 40 minutes drive to Leeds and Sheffield.  Dick met his wife Chris a Yorkshire lass when he went to Alice Springs to play football.   They decided to live in Yorkshire and have two daughters.  Dick gave a lively and most interesting talk on his life as an ex pat living in the Yorkshire couintry side which he describes as being out of an episode of All Creatures Great and Small.

We had 10 members in attendance with our guests Val Burns, Maureen Hulsman, Maree Jennings and Bill Thompson.

The Yorkshire Dales

REMINDERS

Monday 27th August members meeting Club Catering John Burns Talking.

Monday 3rd September 2nd Meeting re Promoting the Coolamon Shire.

Monday 10th September Business Meeting including Board Meeting Club Catering.

Thursday 13th September BINGO Rostered on: Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman, Dick Jennings, Neil Munro.

*Monday 24th September 2012 Guest Speaker the Hon. Michael McCormack MP Federal Member for Riverina Gilbert Catering.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

Before the Bud Billiken Parade set off, I had the distinct honor of putting my “Peace through Service” pin on the renowned civil rights leader, Rev. Jesse Jackson, with District 6450 Assistant Governor J.N. Settles Sr. looking on. I also got to present my pin to Illinois Governor Pat Quinn. It was a day filled with humbling and inspiring encounters.

Sakuji Tanaka and Jesse Jackson

The Bud Billiken® Parade and Picnic is an annual parade and picnic in Chicago, Illinois, and is the oldest and largest African-American parade in the United States. Since 1929, it has always been held the second Saturday in August. The idea for the parade came from Mr. Robert S. Abbott, the founder of the Chicago Defender. The focus of the parade is education and sounds the clarion call for “Back to School” to our children. It is currently the second largest parade in the United States. The 82d Annual Parade took place on August 13, 2011, and was televised on WLS-TV as well as nationally on WGN-TV and viewed by over 25 million viewers. In August 2012, the second Saturday falls on August 11, 2012. The focus on the parade continues to be the betterment of Chicago’s youth.

Those in attendance at Monday’s meeting were treated to a very interesting talk by Dick Thompson, brother of Bill and a Coolamon resident currently residing in Yorkshire, England.  Dick described how a two-year stay in Alice Springs 24 years ago turned into a continuing life adventure in England after he met his wife, a pom who was doing a volunteer service gig in Tennant Creek.  One thing led to another and Dick is now living and working in Yorkshire.  Dick considers himself an Aussie, and has made sure his daughters (now in their twenties) make regular visits to Coolamon to spend time with their grandparents.  Although Dick still considers himself a true blue Aussie, he pointed out that he has spent nearly as much of his life in England as in Australia (but he still has a fair dinkum Aussie accent!).  It was a very interesting perspective on living in another country while trying to retain as much of one’s culture and heritage as possible, and sharing that with one’s children.

Next week will provide an opportunity for John Burns to share his life story with the club.  We’ll also spend a bit of time at the meeting reflecting on where we are as a club and where we want to be in the future, so come prepared to do a bit more brainstorming.

The Shop Locally campaign is regaining some momentum, with plans for a voucher book taking shape in time for the Christmas shopping season.  An upcoming weekly meeting will focus specifically on the Shop Locally campaign, and will involve local shop owners; watch this space in the near future for specifics.

That’s all for now.  Onward and upward!.

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Artificial Elephant

The Great Artificial Elephant !
This is a robotic miracle…made from 45
tons of recycled materials, measuring
12 meters high and 8 meters wide. It
can carry up to 49 passengers

Moses Freestyle

A barber runs out of his shop and down to the nearest corner where a policeman is standing.
“Officer,” he asks, “have you seen a man run by here in the last few minutes?”
“No, I haven’t. What’s the problem?”
“The lousy cheat ran out of my shop without paying me!”
“Does this fellow have any distinguishing features?” the officer asked.
“Well, yes,” the barber replies. “He’s carrying one of his ears in his left hand.”

YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2012 when…

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.

2 You haven’t played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don’t have e-mail addresses / facebook / twitter.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your mobile phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.

7 Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the screen.

8. Leaving the house without your mobile phone, which you didn’t have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.

10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee.

ROTARY INFORMATION

RAWCS (Rotary Australia World Community Service)

Volunteers are the lifeblood of RAWCS Projects. Being a RAWCS Volunteer can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life; you can make new friends in other countries and you will form very close bonds with your team members.

Rotary International is an organisation of people who serve their communities around the world in a  range of volunteer roles.

The projects listed on this website are all being managed by members of sponsor Rotary Clubs volunteering their time to do this important community work.

Participation by other Rotarians and by members of the public is also welcome.

If you like to sew or knit, you might like to make dolls for orphans in Africa.  You could sort books as part of a literacy program. Or knit a knee rug for the Wheelchair For Kids Project.  There’s any number of other projects you could volunteer some of your time towards –  a number of RAWCS projects even provide opportunities for volunteers to travel to the project country and work directly on the project.

Current RAWCS Projects

Click on the image below to read all about this project in East Timor:

D 9700 GSE Team to Kansas

A farewell dinner for the GSE team traveling to Kansas in September was held at the home of Paul and Judy Cox in Orange. Almost 50 guests enjoyed a dinner prepared by Judy and the members and wives of the Rotary Club of Orange Calare. Special guests included DG Greg Brown and Lyn, PDG and GSE Chair Neal Fogarty and Barbara and AG John McKenzie and Lynne.

The GSE team performed a dress rehearsal of their presentations prepared for the Rotary Clubs in Kansas. The night rounded off with a Skype hook up with Arlen Honts GSE coordinator in Wichita Kansas who looked very fresh considering it was 5:30 am in Wichita The team depart for Kansas on August 31st.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin # 7

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #7

BUSINESS MEETING August 13th. 2012

We had 9 members present tonight.  It was a combined business and board meeting.  President Paul welcomed us and said how pleasing it was to have had such a succesful meeting last week with Linda Tilman and 63 present at that meeting.  A follow up meeting will be held on Monday 3rd September and those who were invited on the 3rd will recieve a return invitation to workshop ideas on how to improve their own business in the Coolamon Shire.

We welcomed back Neil Munro from his fact finding trip to the USA in particular Arizona.  Neil gave a short talk on the adventure and was impressed by the the tour that was organised with visits to John Deere factories which covered 100 acres.  Neil was also impressed with the Grand Canyon.  Neil said that the USA is in the grip of a drought which is affecting this year’s wheat and corn harvest.  The positive side to this drought is that wheat prices are going up and up.

John Deere Web Site

REMINDER THAT THE HON. MICHAEL McCORMACK IS OUR GUEST ON 24th SEPTEMBER

SASA DESIGNS KENYA

This one of the best projects that I have seen lately.  Sasa Designs are run by an organisation called DOOR and it is to give hope to deaf women in Nairobi.  Unemployment is at a high 60% rate in Kenya and if you are impaired in anyway there is no hope to get work and hence live.  A young Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar Megan MacDonald works with Sasa Designs which in Swahili means now.  We met Megan at the Los Angleles Rotary Convention and have stayed in touch ever since.  Megan studied at the University of Nairobi in economics for micro credit projects.

Here is Megan’s Blog and Megan writes beautifully.  There She Goes

Rotarian Megan MacDonald

Here are some of the beautiful jewellery made by the deaf ladies at Sasa Designs.

We hope to have some of these items in Wagga Wagga soon for sale at Uneke.

SASA Designs

Rotary International 2012-13 President Sakuji Tanaka

Dear fellow Rotarians,

During August, Membership and Extension Month in Rotary, I’m asking all Rotarians to send a unified message about what Rotary is and why they joined. If we convey our passion for Rotary to others I’m convinced that membership will increase.

So please share your special Rotary Moment with someone and help promote Rotary’s humanitarian mission and our goal to achieve Peace Through Service.

8月は会員増強・拡大月間です。自分がなぜロータリアンとなったのかを私たち全員が考え、ロータリーへの情熱を人々と分かち合うことによって、さらに多くの仲間と共に奉仕を通じて平和を築いていけることを願っています。

I was delighted to be able to join Consul General of Japan Okamura, District Governor Merriweather, and other Rotarians from District 6450 on the Rotary Float in the 83rd Annual Bud Billiken Day Parade. The cheers from the crowd brought huge smiles to our faces as we raised our hands together for peace.

Sakuji Tanaka
President, Rotary International

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

This ought to make you feel better about your computer skills!

Real recorded conversations!

From
Jesse Tanchanco
RC Loyola Heights
RID 3780
Quezon City, Philippines

Tech  support:    What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: A  white one.

Tech support:   Click on the ‘my computer’ icon on to the left of the screen.

Customer:    Your left or my left?

Customer:    Hi, good afternoon, this is Martha, I can’t print. Every time I try, it says, ‘Can’t
find  printer.’  I’ve even lifted the printer and placed it in front
of the monitor, but the computer still says he can’t find it.

Tech  support:    What’s on your monitor now, ma’am?
Customer:    A teddy bear my boyfriend bought for me at the 7-11.

Customer:   My keyboard is not working anymore.
Tech  support:   Are you sure it’s plugged into the computer?
Customer:   No. I can’t get behind the computer.
Tech  support:    Pick up your keyboard and walk 10 paces back.
Customer: OK!
Tech support:   Did the  keyboard come with you?
Customer: Yes.
Tech support:   That means the keyboard is not plugged in.

Customer:   I can’t get on the Internet.
Tech support:    Are you sure you used the right password?
Customer:   Yes, I’m sure. I saw my colleague do it.
Tech  support:    Can you tell me what the password was?
Customer:   Five dots.

Tech  support:    What anti-virus program do you use?
Customer: Netscape.
Tech support:   That’s not an anti-virus program.
Customer:   Oh, sorry… Internet Explorer…

Customer: I have a huge problem. A friend has placed a screen saver on my computer, but
every time I move the mouse, it disappears.

Tech support:    How may I help you?
Customer:   I’m writing my first email.
Tech support:    OK, and what seems to be the problem?
Customer:   Well, I have the letter ‘a’ in the address, but how do I get the little circle around
it?

This one and the next are our personal favorites!
A woman customer called the Canon help desk with a problem with her printer.
Tech support:   Are you running it under windows?
Customer:   ‘No, my desk is next to the door, but that is a good point. The man sitting in the cubicle
next to me is under a window, and his printer is working fine.’

And last but not least!
Tech  support: ‘Okay Bob, let’s press the control and escape keys at the same time. That brings up a task list
in the middle of the screen.. Now type the letter ‘P’ to bring up the Program  Manager.’
Customer:   I don’t have a P.
Tech  support:   On your keyboard, Bob.
Customer:   What do yo
mean?
Tech support: ‘P’……on  your keyboard, Bob.
Customer:   I’M NOT GOING TO DO THAT!

ROTARY INFORMATION

MEMBERSHIP IDEAS FOR RECRUITING NEW MEMBERS

The Rotary Club of Cotonou Ifê, Benin, celebrates Rotary’s anniversary with a cake in February. The club is one of several formed recently in Benin

Eight years ago, Géné Villaça-Crestia was asked by her district governor to start a new Rotary club in her country, Benin.

She had been a Rotarian for only four years and didn’t really know where to begin. But she had a few things working in her favor: Villaça-Crestia is extremely passionate about Rotary, and she doesn’t take no for an answer.

“I don’t hesitate to drive to people’s places and come back again,” says Villaça-Crestia of her recruitment style. “I don’t wait for them to get back to me and tell me they don’t have time. I insist and go after them until they understand what Rotary is all about and the good it will do them to join.”

Villaça-Crestia’s techniques have been extremely effective. Within three months of her district governor’s request, she helped launch the Rotary Club of Cotonou Rive Gauche, Benin, and became the charter president. During the next two years, she helped form three other clubs, including two composed almost entirely of younger Rotarians.

MORE HERE

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Rotarians For Fighting AIDS AUSTRALIA: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Huang is choice for 2014-15 RI president

Gary Huang and his wife, Corinna Yao

Gary C.K. Huang, a member of the Rotary Club of Taipei, Taiwan, is the selection of the Nominating Committee for President of Rotary International in 2014-15. Huang will become the president-nominee on 1 October if there are no challenging candidates.

Huang says his vision for Rotary is to increase membership to more than 1.3 million.

“To increase our membership, we must go beyond borders to wherever we see growth potential, such as the countries of China, Mongolia, and Vietnam. I will put an emphasis on increasing female and younger members,” Huang says. “I will also encourage former Rotarians to once again be part of our Rotary family.”

Huang has served as the chair of Taiwan Sogo Shinkong Security Co., Ltd., Shin Kong Life Real Estate Service Co., and P.S. Insurance Agency, Inc. and director of Federal Corporation and managing director of Taipei Life-Line Association.

Full story here:

Huang is choice for 2014-15 RI president

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin # 6

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin # 6

DINNER MEETING August 6th. 2012

We had 12 members and partners present with some 51 guests from Coolamon and Ganmain attend Monday night’s meeting.  This was an exceptional night with Linda Tilman from Coolamon speaking on marketing the Coolamon Shire.  Coolamon and Ganmain business leaders, shop keepers and those interested in Linda Tilman’s talk enjoyed a Chinese banquet and good fellowship.  President Paul Weston welcomed all the guests and spoke about our Rotary club and what we do for our community and for Africa.

Linda Tilman then presented the goals and activities for Coolamon Shire and the plans that are in place to encourage people to shop locally and for tourism to prosper in our Shire.  Above all Linda placed a huge emphasis on marketing your own business through the Internet and using social media such as Facebook, and Twitter.  Linda pointed out two key targets to achieve these aims which are local residents, their families and friends and day trippers to our Shire.

The presentation by Linda was well received and there was a lengthy question time with just about everyone having a say and asking meaningful questions. Bill Thomnpson one of Coolamon’s leading lights thanked our Rotary club for putting this evening together.  Leslie Weston thanked Linda on behalf of our club and presented Linda with our Kangaroo money bag pouch.

All in all a very successful night and one enjoyed by all with President Paul calling for a follow up meeting in one month’s time.

VISIT US IN THE COOLAMON SHIRE.

Our banners now flying in Coolamon with more to go up in Ganmain in the near future.

Ethiopian President Girma Woldegioris and President Tanaka

Dear fellow Rotarians,

What is Rotary? When I ask Rotarians this question, they often give vague answers. And when I asked myself this question, I had to think about it. August is Membership and Extension Month in Rotary, and I want all Rotarians to be able to send a unified message about what Rotary is and why they joined.

The key to increasing membership is for every Rotarian to be convinced that it’s good to be a Rotarian, and to convey that passion to others. In Rotary, we have a tendency to be humble and keep our achievements to ourselves. But we must share them with those around us and with the world.

Every Rotarian has a specific moment that stands out and has a special meaning. Some people refer to this as their “Rotary Moment.” I believe it is very important to share this moment with others. Facts and numbers can only go so far, but sharing a personal experience can open doors and build friendships.

That’s why I decided to create some sample messages that I call “Rotary Moments.” You can use these one-minute and three-minute messages to answer the question “What is Rotary?” in a way that is most personal to you. They will help you talk about the projects you’ve been involved in, how they’ve helped your community, and what’s been most meaningful to you.

To strengthen Rotary, we need more members. But unless those members are convinced of the benefits of the organization and can share that passion with others, expanding Rotary won’t be meaningful.

If every Rotarian is happy about being a Rotarian and spreads the word with a clear, unified message – if every Rotarian around the world can be his or her own PR department – the combined, collective effect will be enormous. These sample messages will help us all clearly communicate our enthusiasm to others. This will lead to an increase in new membership and in member retention.

The messages are available for free download at www.rotary.org, and Rotarians can buy other membership materials at shop.rotary.org.

I believe that the purpose of every life is to help others and contribute to society. Once Rotarians begin using these samples, the world will become more aware of how Rotary is helping people live that way. I encourage you to share your Rotary Moment with other Rotarians as well as non-Rotarians.

Sakuji Tanaka
President, Rotary International

What a night!  We saw a great turnout of local business owners/operators and other guests on Monday night to hear Linda Tillman lay out her marketing plan for promoting the Coolamon Shire.  After a bountiful Chinese banquet prepared by Gilbert and staff, Linda described the two-pronged approach to boosting business and tourism in the shire, one focused on encouraging local residents to shop locally and the other catering to day-trippers and visitors.  A number of initiatives and promotions have been started to alert out-of-towners to the unique charms and quirky shops of Coolamon and other towns in the shire.  A spirited question and answer session followed, highlighting the passion of local business operators for our shire and its future.  Leslie closed the session with a warm vote of thanks for Linda and a promise of future dinner meetings to further progress the programs that Linda and Rotary have initiated.  The evening concluded with the raffle draw, with a plentiful meat tray prepared by Coolamon Butchery, a lovely bottle of shiraz donated by John Glassford, and a $50 voucher to Phoenix Cards ending up in the hands of three lucky guests on the night.  A good time was had by all.

Onward and upward!

Yours in Rotary,

Paul.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Up the creek with a paddle

WHY SOME MEN HAVE A DOG AND NO WIFE

1. The later you are, the more excited your dogs are to see you.

2. Dogs don’t notice if you call them by another dog’s name.

3. Dogs like it if you leave a lot of things on the floor.

4. A dog’s parents never visit.

5. Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across.

6. Dogs find you amusing when you’re drunk.

7. Dogs like to go hunting and fishing.

8. A dog will not wake you up at night to ask, “If I died, would you get another dog?”

9. If a dog has babies, you can put an ad in the paper and give them away.

10. A dog will let you put a studded collar on it without calling you a pervert.

11. If a dog smells another dog on you, they don’t get mad. They just think it’s interesting.

And last, but not least:

12. If a dog leaves, it won’t take half of your stuff.

To test this theory:

Lock your wife and your dog in the garage for an hour. Then open it and see who’s happy to see you.

ROTARY INFORMATION

ROTARIAN ACTION GROUPS

Rotarian Action Groups provide assistance and support to Rotary clubs and districts in planning and implementing service projects in their respective areas of expertise. They are autonomous, international groups organized by committed Rotarians, Rotarians’ spouses, and Rotaractors who have expertise in and a passion for a particular type of service.  We looked briefly at the new Future Vision last week from our Foundation.   RAGs will play a pivotal part in the implementation of the Future Vision;  for example one of the new Rotarian Action Groups is the Water and Sanitation Rotarian Action Group or WASRAG.  WASRAG will work in the Water and sanitation area of focus and here is their web site:

WASRAG

Full list of Rotarian Action Groups RAG

Water Carriers

Click on the images above for a larger photo and note the yellow cans in the open drain where these people collect their water from.

President of Rotary International  Sakuji Tanaka

Websites of Interest

Rotarians For Fighting AIDS: http://www.rffa.org

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Diary 6th August 2012

Monday 13th August Business Meeting includes Directors Club Catering
Monday 20th August Glibert Catering
Monday 27th August members meeting Club Catering John Burns Talking
Monday 10th September Business Meeting including Board Meeting Club Catering
Thursday 13th September BINGO Rostered on: Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman, Dick Jennings, Neil Munro
Monday 1st October NO MEETING Public Holiday
*Tuesday 2nd October Joint Meeting with Junee Rotary Club TBC. in Junee.
*Monday in October (29th) Social Night at Ian and Marilyn Jennings’s House.
Sunday November 25th. Rotary Markets.
Peace Ceremony in Coolamon maybe February 2013.

*PARTNERS NIGHT.

Dick Jennings is now the Food Manager so all bookings and apologies to Dick for Club Catering on 0427 273 074 or at home on 6927 3074.  It was also decided that when Gilbert is catering that apologies and invited guests must be phoned into Gilbert on 6927 1253 as normal.  Your weekly diary will show what nights Gilbert is catering for as above.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin # 5

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin # 5

DINNER MEETING JULY 30th. 2012

We had 27 members, guests and visiting Rotarians attend tonight’s meeting.

Hannah Bushell and Jarrod McPherson

President Paul Weston welcomed all our visiting guests to our meeting.  We had the pleasure of two guest speakers tonight:  Jarrod McPherson and Hannah Bushell, Jarrod’s fiancee.  Jarrod and Hannah are from Narrandera and spent 12 months in Laos during 2011- 2012.  Jarrod works with Narrandera Fisheries and has been with them for the past 7 years.  Hannah worked with the Lao Disabled People’s Association.  Jarrod and Hannah gave us all a very detailed account of the 12 months they spent there.   It was a most enjoyable and very interesting talk by both of them.  Thank you Dick Jennings for introducing these two great Aussie ambassadors to our club and guests.

Some facts given to us by them on Laos:

Population 6.5 million of which 80% are reliant on agriculture subsistence.

Land locked country.

The Mekong River flows through Laos and holds 1200 species of fish of which 2.2 million tonnes are caught on an annual basis or 2% of the world’s total catch.

50 % of the Lao people’s diet is fish.

10% of the population are disabled due to the bombing from 1964 -1973 80 million tonnes of bombs were dropped on Laos and many bombs lie in the fields unexploded.

Read more about Hannah’s work here, heart breaking work and most needed for these people:

LDPA

Read more about Jarrod’s work here, just excellent work being done:

Lao Fish Ways

Ian Jennings Thanks our Speakers

Garth and Marg Perkin

President Sakuji Tanaka visited a school located in the village of Enkusero Sampu in southern Kenya. A solar-powered water pump provided through a Rotary club project sponsored by District 5340 in California, USA and three districts in Japan supplies the school’s water. Sakuji was glad to see that Rotary is having a positive impact on the community.

President Sakuji Tanaka

We’ve had a couple of interesting meetings over the past two weeks.  Thanks to Christine Atkinson for sharing a condensed version of her life story with us last week—it’s amazing what you can find out about someone when they’re given the opportunity to speak!  We’ll be continuing this new tradition of having club members share their life stories with us on the 4th Monday of the month.  Next up: John Burns on 27 August.

Following Christine’s talk, we had the first of our discussions regarding the reshaping of our club for the future.  It was just a beginning, but it was evident that our members are keen to make changes to keep our club vibrant and a positive force for change in our community and the world.  We’ll continue the discussion at a meeting in the near future, so watch this space.

Last night’s meeting was focused solely on fellowship, with a sumptuous Chinese buffet and two very engaging talks by Jarrod McPherson and Hannah Bushell.  Jarrod (Dick Jennings’ nephew) and Hannah (Jarrod’s fiancée) shared their experiences living and working in Laos for a year.  It was very interesting hearing their different perspectives on their experiences (Jarrod was involved with assisting the fisheries industry, while Hannah worked with improving the lives of disabled and disadvantaged Laotians).  The life-changing experiences and challenging living conditions they described made everyone in attendance appreciate the little things we take for granted (such as turning on the tap and not wondering if you’re going to come down with some gut-wrenching gastric affliction!).  Thanks again to a great presentation, Jarrod and Hannah, and to members who brought along the many guests which made for a lively evening.

Our next meeting (6 August) is likely to be an even bigger affair as members and guests will be packing the house to hear Linda Tillman present her vision for enhancing the profile of Coolamon Shire as a place to visit and do business.  Many of the proprietors of local businesses are expected to attend what should be a landmark dinner meeting for our club.  Garth has been hard at work lining up a stellar line-up of dinner speakers, so if you can’t make Monday’s meeting, you should have other opportunities to hear stimulating talks by influential members of our community and the region.

Onward and upward!

Yours in Rotary,

Paul.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

COWBOY TOMB STONE

Headstone of Russell J. Larsen in the Logan City Cemetery , Logan , Utah !

I wonder if he died knowing he won the ‘Coolest Headstone’ contest?

His five rules for a happy life are at the bottom.

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW FOR A HAPPY LIFE:

1. It’s important to have a woman who helps at home,

cooks from time to time, cleans up, and has a job.

2. It’s important to have a woman who can make you laugh.

3. It’s important to have a woman who you can trust, and doesn’t lie to you.

4. It’s important to have a woman who is good in bed, and likes to be with you.

5. It’s very, very important that these four women do not know each other or you could end up dead like me.

{submitted by an anonymous Rotarian who goes by the monica H3}.

Great gift idea

ROTARY INFORMATION

Rotary’s Future Vision

Over the next few months we will look at how the Rotary Foundation is changing from July 1st 2013.  The programme is called Future Vision and over the past 3 Rotary years including this one 100 districts have been involved in the trail of Future Vision.  There are some changes that will not please everyone including the end of Group Study Exchange or GSE.  GSE will be replaced by Vocational Training Teams or VTT we will have an in depth look at VTTs as they do offer an exiting new way to travel within your vocation to another country.

Here is a brief outline of what Future Vision will look like with 6 areas of focus:

6 Areas of Focus

{Click on the image above for a larger version so you can read it!}

President of Rotary International  Sakuji Tanaka

Websites of Interest

Rotarians For Fighting AIDS: http://www.rffa.org