Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #05

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #05

JULY IS ROTARY’S NEW YEAR MONTH.

ATTENTION MONDAY AUGUST 5th MEETING!

President Dick Jennings would like to continue Coolamon Rotary’s support of local businesses.

With this in mind we are inviting you to a dinner meeting on Monday evening, August 5th 2013, with two guest speakers.

Michael Reid is a banker with much experience in business banking.  His presentation will concentrate on finance in the business sector.

Julian McLaren is a Wagga City Councillor, President of Wagga Business Chamber and an investment consultant.  Julian’s presentation will focus on “where to now” in relation to present day factors such as low consumer confidence, meeting the competition from Internet retailers and the drop in the Australian dollar.

Both speakers will be given time to answer questions from the floor.

WHERE: Coolamon Sport and Recreation Club

WHEN: 6:30pm Monday 5 August

COST: $20.00 (tax deductible)

RSVP: by Friday August 2nd to Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157, Henk Hulsman on 02 6927 3486 or Leslie Weston on 0417 293 262.

Congratulations Patrick! – Rotary Coolamon awards a Paul Harris Sapphire

President John Routley Hout Bay RC pins the PHF Sapphire on Patrick McLaughlin.

Last Tuesday’s main event (Hout Bay Rotary Weekly Meeting) was kept a close secret from all but the very select.  Patrick’s sapphire to his Paul Harris.  So very well deserved and awarded by Rotary Coolamon in honour of Patrick’s unstinting work within the Health Forum and the Clinic.  Particularly his heroic efforts in organising and running the Rotary Family Health Day held recently in Hout Bay.  John Glassford and his crew let me in on this intended award a while back and after physically sending the award to our current President John, this was presented last Tuesday. T he photographs show the huge surprise and pleasure on Patrick’s face. John Routley played out a video recorded by RC Coolamon to one surprised Patrick and the assembled membership.

Patrick’s response in part-via email:

“In my 31 years of Rotary, and probably in my life as a whole, no such a great thing happened to me in Rotary. I shall treasure that surprise until the going down of the sun.

This must have cost your club a bloody fortune. I am embarrassed. We, the team in Hout Bay, Butch, Allan, Don, everybody, just did “our thing” but I thank you from my heart. This award came at a good time in my life and I feel so proud.”

Patrick.

REPORT MEETING MONDAY 29th.  JULY

We had 15 members attend tonight’s club assembly and board meeting.

Major decisions included getting the Rotary Telephone Book published in 2014.  Committee:  Ian Durham Chair, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson, Miffy Collette, Bernadette Milne, Paul Weston, Ted Hutcheon and Dick Jennings.

Catering for the Trike Convention in Wagga Wagga in March 2014 with the proceeds going to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.  Between 150-200 Trikers will be attending the Friday night dinner.  Committee includes John Glassford, Wayne Lewis, Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Craig Corrigan and Susan Glassford.

Part of the proceeds from Bingo will go to buy a special bed for the Allawah Lodge to accommodate special patients at a cost of $2,800.

We will cater for the steam train arriving at the Coolamon Railway Station on Friday August 30th for morning tea.

We will support the Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital fete with a bed race in Ganmain.  Details to be confirmed.

All in all an excellent meeting and below is the latest diary.

Diary Reminders

*Monday 5th August Shop Locally Campaign Business Houses Meeting.  Two excellent guest speakers will be attending in Julian McLaren and Michael Reid.

Thursday 8th August BINGO: Garth Perkin, Grahame Miles, Don Dyce, Rodney Jarrett.

Monday 12th August NO MEETING

*Tuesday 13th August Joint Meeting with Junee in Junee Featuring the Wagga Wagga Male Rugby Choir.  Numbers to Christine Atkinson 0427 880 158.

*Saturday 17th August Darkness to Light Dinner RC of Wagga Wagga BOOK NOW!

*Monday 19th August Honeywell Science Presentation and Guest Speaker TBA.

*Monday 26th August John Franklin Guest Speaker .  Times and life living in the Northern Territory.

Friday August 30th Steam Train in Coolamon Morning Tea.  Volunteers required.

*Monday 2nd September Guest Speaker Colleen Wilson Lord OAM.

Tuesday 3rd September Memory, Movement and Motivation Information Day Coolamon  by Colleen Lord OAM Health and Wellness Day at the Allawah Community Centre. Contact Clare Munro: 6927 3548.

Thursday 12th September BINGO:  Christine Atkinson, Mark Reardon, Dick Jennings, Neil Munro

*Monday 30th September DG Geoff Tancred’s Visit.

Sunday 6th October Coolamon Scarecrow Festival.

Monday 7th October NO Meeting Labour Day Weekend.

Thursday 10th October BINGO:   Ian Jennings, John Glassford, Grahame Miles, Ted Hutcheon

Saturday 12th October Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital Fete IN Ganmain.

Saturday 26th October Street Raffle in Coolamon.

Late November early December date TBA: Early Pre-Christmas Rotary Community Market Day in Coolamon.

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd February PETS in Young

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

RI President Ron Burton visited the New York Stock Exchange with Rotarians to commemorate that NYSE Euronext joined the United Nations’ Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE) initiative. This will explore how exchanges can work together with investors, regulators, and companies to enhance corporate transparency on Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) issues and encourage responsible long-term approaches to investment.

Photo from left: Christian Rietzke, president of the Rotary Club of Metro New York City; President Burton; Matts Ingemanson, district governor of District 7230; and Stefan Jekel, past president of Rotary Club of Metro New York City.
Photo courtesy of NYSE/Ben Hider

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Pool.

Once there was a millionaire, who collected live crocs. He kept them in the pool in back of his mansion.

The millionaire also had a beautiful daughter who was single.

One day, the millionaire decides to throw a huge party, and during the party he announces:

“My dear guests, I have a proposition to every man here.  I will give one million dollars, or my daughter, to the man who can swim across this pool full of crocs and emerge unharmed!”

As soon as he finished his last word, there was the sound of a large splash in the pool.  The guy in the pool was swimming with all his might, and the crowd began to cheer him on. Finally, he made it to the other side of the pool unharmed.

The millionaire was impressed. He said, “That was incredible! Fantastic! I didn’t think it could be done! Well, I must keep my end of the bargain. Do you want my daughter or the one million dollars?” The guy catches his breath, then says:

“Listen, I don’t want your money! And I don’t want your daughter! I want the mongrel who pushed me in the pool!”

The Bridge:

A man was walking along a California beach and stumbled across an old lamp. He picked it up and rubbed it and out popped a genie!

The genie said, “OK. You released me from the lamp, blah, blah blah. This is the fourth time this month and I’m getting a little sick of these wishes. So you can forget about getting three wishes. You only get one wish.

The man sat down on the beach and thought about it for awhile.  Then he said, “I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii; but I’m scared to fly and I get very seasick. Could you build me a bridge to Hawaii so that I can drive over there to visit?”

The genie laughed and said, “That’s impossible! Think of the logistics of that! How would the supports ever reach the bottom of the Pacific? Think of how much concrete… how much steel…! No. Think of another wish.”

The man tried to think of another wish. Finally, he said, “I’ve been married and divorced several times. My wives always said that I don’t care and that I’m insensitive.

So I wish that I could understand women… know how they feel inside and what they’re thinking when they give me the silent treatment know why they’re crying…know what they really want when they

say, ‘Nothing’…know how to make them truly happy….”

The genie said, “You want that bridge two lanes or four?”

– ERIC VAN SOEST.

ROTARY INFORMATION

Children with congenital heart defects, such as this young patient, receive treatment from doctors at the Ukrainian Children’s Cardiac Center in Kyiv. The facility was founded by Dr. Illya Yemets, a charter member of the Rotary Club of Kyiv. It was the first project the club undertook, in 1992.

The way Olena Ichnatenko tells it, her daughter has two fathers – her birth father and the doctor who gave her a second chance at life at the Ukrainian Children’s Cardiac Center.

She was 10 days old when doctors operated to correct a congenital defect. Ichnatenko remembers the early days after her daughter was born in a different hospital: “We were told there that our child was dying and that is it.” Only after she took Yaroslava to the cardiac center did she feel a bit of hope for her daughter’s life. Yaroslava, who celebrated her ninth birthday this year, is one of the facility’s many success stories.

Dr. Illya Yemets, a charter member of the Rotary Club of Kyiv, founded the center in 2003, but its beginnings trace back to the 1990s, starting with a visit from Australian Rotarians led by Past District Governor Jack Olsson. They had stopped in Kyiv on a trip to develop exchanges in non-Rotary countries and learned of the need to train surgeons specializing in pediatric heart conditions. In 1991, Olsson arranged for Yemets to train at a children’s hospital in Sydney.

FULL STORY HERE

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

THE BUTTER FLY TREE CHARITY ZAMBIA

The Butterfly Tree Charity supports rural communities in Zambia decimated by the HIV and AIDS pandemic-providing safe water, safe feeding programmes, improved health and education facilities and an  ORPHAN SPONSORSHIP programme- all funds go directly to the cause and all of the members are volunteers.

A donation will make a huge difference to those who only need the essentials in life…

THE BUTTERFLY TREE CHARITY WEB SITE

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY CONCERT AT THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE

Sydney-Opera-House2
Where: The Sydney Opera House
When: 8pm, 2 June 2014
Price: $70

Experience an extraordinary performance at the famous Sydney Opera House with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. With its grand setting, gorgeous wooden panelling and cathedral‐like ambience, the world‐renowned Concert Hall is Sydney Opera House’s most prestigious and majestic space. Immerse yourself here, in a Classical‐Romantic Symphonic performance by this acclaimed 65‐piece orchestra. You will enjoy a performance to remember.

Details

Further details to be provided in the coming months

Inclusions

One ticket to the concert at the Sydney Opera House. Free transport provided using free public transport pass provided courtesy of NSW Government.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

PHF Sapphire to Hout Bay

On Monday night our club presented a PHF Sapphire pin to PP Patrick McLaughlin via video and with the help of the members of our centennial twin club Hout Bay. President John Routley form Hout Bay organised the presentation and from all accounts it went down very well. Here in Patrick’s words are his feelings on receiving this award form Coolamon:

“In my 31 years of Rotary, and probably in my life as a whole, no such a
great thing happened to me in Rotary. I shall treasure that surprise until
the going down of the sun.

This must have cost your club a bloody fortune. I am embarrassed. We, the
team in Hout Bay, Butch, Allan, Don, everybody, just did “our thing” but I
thank you from my heart. This award came at a good time in my life and I
feel so proud.”

Patrick.

Here is the video that we “sent” to Hout Bay.

CONGRATULATIONS PATRICK!

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #04

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #04

New Rotary year also brings new changes at the top.

As Rotary clubs continue to promote diversity in their membership, Rotary is marking a milestone. Anne L. Matthews, a Rotarian from South Carolina, USA, began her term on 1 July as the first female vice president of Rotary International.

“Women have contributed significantly to Rotary initiatives, and will continue to do so,” says Matthews, who is also the first woman to serve as both a Rotary Foundation trustee and an RI director. “No doubt, the unfortunate and sometimes misleading image of ‘an old boys’ club’ will be buried for good.

Anne L. Matthews, a Rotarian from South Carolina, USA, began her term on 1 July as the first female vice president of Rotary International. Monika Lozinska/Rotary International

Photo: copyright Ian Jennings

Coolamon Blue Grass Great Night!  Great music well done Merin and Philip.

MEETING MONDAY 22nd.  JULY

Members present 10.  Guests included PDG Fred Loneragan, PP David Benn, Helen Lewis and Susan Wingate-Pearse.

President Dick Jennings called a Club Assembly for Monday next the 29th July.  Would ALL members please attend as we have some issues to resolve at this meeting.

Grahame Miles requested that the club through it’s Bingo proceeds purchase a BIG Bed for the Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital.  Grahame on behalf of Neil Munro reported that bingo had made over $6,000 during the past 18 months.

Tonight we also had a talk on the formation of the proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species or RAGES.  The talk was given by John Glassford who is the foundation Chair of this proposed Rotarian Action Group.  The application will be lodged with Rotary International for the board to consider in their upcoming meeting in September/October.   It is a difficult process however RAGES has filled the criteria required to apply in the first place with over 25 members from 7 countries.

This group will be dedicated to the protection of Endangered Species with initially a special emphasis on the plight of African Rhinos, Elephants and Mountain Gorillas.  Other species will follow as more Rotarians join up.

Why the rhino, elephant and mountain gorilla?  Because they are keystone species.

Such species are described as playing a critical role in maintaining the structure of an ecological community, affecting many other organisms in an ecosystem and helping to determine the types and numbers of various other species in the community.

The role that a keystone species plays in its ecosystem is analogous to the role of a keystone in an arch. While the keystone is under the least pressure of any of the stones in an arch, the arch still collapses without it. Similarly, an ecosystem may experience a dramatic shift if a keystone species is removed, even though that species was a small part of the ecosystem by measures of biomass or productivity.

Click on the logo below for the RAGES web site and join us.

Diary Reminders

Monday July 29th CLUB ASSEMBLY ALL members are requested to attend.  Club catering.

*Monday 5th August Shop Locally Campaign Business Houses Meeting.  Two excellent guest speakers will be attending in Julian McLaren and Michael Reid.

Thursday 8th August BINGO: Garth Perkin, Grahame Miles, Don Dyce, Rodney Jarrett.

Monday 12th MOVED TO Tuesday in Junee.

*Tuesday 13th August Joint Meeting with Junee in Junee Featuring the Wagga Wagga Male Rugby Choir.

*Monday 26th August John Franklin Guest Speaker .  Times and life living in the Northern Territory.

Thursday 12th September BINGO:  Christine Atkinson, Mark Reardon, Dick Jennings, Neil Munro

Sunday 24th November Rotary Market Day in Coolamon.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

Rotarians from RI President Ron Burton’s Rotary club in Norman and other clubs visited him at RI headquarters

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Smart Phone.

I love this vision of the future of the smart phone from 1930. They not only got the face time right, but the whole culture: sitting at a table, ignoring your friend, and looking into your phone.

The KKK

An Alabama pastor said to his congregation, “Someone in this congregation has spread a rumour that I belong to the Ku Klux Klan.

This is a horrible lie and one which a Christian community cannot tolerate. I am embarrassed and do not intend to accept this.

Now, I want the party who said this to stand and ask forgiveness from God and this Christian family. “No one moved.

The preacher continued, “Do you have the nerve to face me and admit this is a falsehood?

Remember, you will be forgiven and in your heart you will feel glory. Now stand and confess your transgression.”

Again, all was quiet.

Then, slowly, a drop-dead gorgeous blonde with a body that would stop a Runaway train rose from the third pew.

Her head was bowed and her voice quivered as she spoke, “Reverend there has been a terrible misunderstanding. I never said you were a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

I simply told a couple of my friends that you were a wizard under the Sheets.”

The preacher fell to his knees, his wife fainted, and the congregation Roared.

~ Life is Short, Smile While You still have Teeth.

The Pirate

A pirate walked into a bar, and the bartender said, “Hey, I haven’t seen you in a while. What happened ? You look terrible.”

“What do you mean?” said the pirate, “I feel fine.”

“What about the wooden leg? You didn’t have that before.”

“Well,” said the pirate, “We were in a battle, and I got hit with a cannon ball, but I’m fine now.”

The bartender replied, “Well, OK, but what about that hook? What happened to your hand?”

The pirate explained, “We were in another battle. I boarded a ship and got into a sword fight. My hand was cut off. I got fitted with a hook but I’m fine, really.”

“What about that eye patch?”

“Oh,” said the pirate, “One day we were at sea, and a flock of birds flew over. I looked up, and one of them …. in my eye.”

“You’re kidding,” said the bartender. “You couldn’t lose an eye just from bird poo.”

“It was my first day with the hook.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

DISTRICT 9700 FRIENDSHIP EXCHANGE PROGRAMME

July 22nd 2013

The Friendship Exchange Programme is an International exchange programme for Rotarians and Rotary couples that provide participants with the opportunity to experience other cultures by staying in the homes of Rotarians, visiting their clubs and participating in the lifestyle/activities of their communities. The goals of the exchange are to advance international understanding and peace through visits across borders, as well as promote inter club relationships, fellowships and service projects. The Rotarians participating gain the opportunity to make long lasting friendships while exploring different areas of the world.

Friendship Exchange in District 9700 is well and truly alive.

A team has just arrived home from District 6200 in Louisiana USA .  The hospitality shown by the Rotarians in Louisiana was amazing and from all accounts a wonderful time was had by all.  The team from Louisiana will arrive in our District in October and Narrandera, Forbes, Orange and Boorowa clubs are busy arranging for their visit.July 22nd 2013

The Friendship Exchange Program is an International exchange program for Rotarians and Rotary couples that provide participants with the opportunity to experience other cultures by staying in the homes of Rotarians, visiting their clubs and participating in the lifestyle/activities of their communities. The goals of the exchange are to advance international understanding and peace through visits across borders, as well as promote interclub relationships, fellowships and service projects. The Rotarians participating gain the opportunity to make long lasting friendships while exploring different areas of the world.

Friendship Exchange in District 9700 is well and truly alive.

A team has just arrived home from District 6200 in Louisiana USA .  The hospitality shown by the Rotarians in Louisiana was amazing and from all accounts a wonderful time was had by all.

The team from Louisiana will arrive in our District in October and Narrandera, Forbes, Orange and Boorowa clubs are busy arranging for their visit.

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

SAVE OUR RHINO

Following on with this week’s talk on Endangered Species, here are the details of the Rotary Club of Kenton-on Sea’s project Save The Rhino.

Kenton-on-Sea had a booth at the recent Lisbon Convention and one of the projects they support is the:

Chipembere Rhino Foundation.

The Chipembere Rhino Foundation (CRF) is a privately run, registered Non-Profit and Public Benefit Organization comprising of a dedicated team of conservation specialists committed to assisting in the protection and conservation of Africa’s rhino. Assisted by our donors unwavering support CRF has made an impactful difference to the safety and security of Rhino and the Anti-Poaching Units that are dedicated to protecting this iconic flagship species. The commitment by all involved has led to CRF providing tangible equipment, intelligence, technology, education and relocation assistance to Rhino custodians who show a conservation ethic that is shared by the foundation.

The technical and practical experience acquired by the trustees over the past 10 years of Rhino conservation has equipped us in dealing with the Rhino crisis in the most informative and decisive manner. Our partnership with Rhino custodians and the support from donors will help CRF to maintain and constantly improve its efforts in Rhino conservation thereby staying true to its methodical approach of making a difference on the ground – where it counts!

Pictured is the GPS “JULES” Satellite Collar funded by Julia Murray of JuMu Rhino Fund. This collar is now in Chipembere’s emergency action toolbox. In the event that we are called upon to assist with monitoring a particular rhino that could do with this technology we will not have the 3 week manufacturing delay.

Leg collar fitted for satellite tracking.

Kenton Rotary Club meets Jane Goodall – Jane came over especially to meet them and see their stand! Kenton Rotary presented Jane with their limited edition of their SAVE OUR RHINO shirts! What an honour & privilege!

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY CONCERT AT THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE

Sydney-Opera-House2
Where: The Sydney Opera House
When: 8pm, 2 June 2014
Price: $70

Experience an extraordinary performance at the famous Sydney Opera House with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. With its grand setting, gorgeous wooden panelling and cathedral‐like ambience, the world‐renowned Concert Hall is Sydney Opera House’s most prestigious and majestic space. Immerse yourself here, in a Classical‐Romantic Symphonic performance by this acclaimed 65‐piece orchestra. You will enjoy a performance to remember.

Details

Further details to be provided in the coming months

Inclusions

One ticket to the concert at the Sydney Opera House. Free transport provided using free public transport pass provided courtesy of NSW Government.

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #03

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #03

The new Rotary Year started last Saturday for the Rotary Club of Nairobi.  Here is a photo on this unique induction of David Hastie as President of the RC of Nairobi.

What an induction dinner see these dancers in action:

Nairobi Change Over Dinner Dance

Road MAPS to Africa, Coolamon’s International project, is supporting the RC of Nairobi’s education programme for the children of the Mathare slums.

MEETING MONDAY 15th.  JULY

Tonight was a board meeting the first of the new Rotary Year.  Some of the many subjects discussed included:

• BINGO going very well with a reported $4,000 made in 2012-2013.  Last week’s bingo had a good turn out of 25 players and thanks go to Wayne Lewis, Leslie Weston, Dick Jennings and Neil Munro.
  • School breakfast initiative support requested by our club and agreed to.
  • Markets set for Sunday 24th November.  Markets committee of Paul Weston, Ian Durham, Ian Jennings, Garth Perkin and Leslie Weston will be responsible.
  • AGM Set for Monday the 28th October.  Start considering putting your hand up to join the board for 2014-2015.
  • Telephone Book.  The committee of Ian Durham, Neil Munro, Ted Hutcheon, Paul Weston, Christine Atkinson, Dick Jennings, Miffy Collette and Bernadette Milne will meet to elect a Chair and start on the 2014 or 2015 Rotary Community Telephone Book.
  • Dinner badges for partners discussed.  Grahame Miles to contact partners of members to see what they would like in a dinner badge.
  • Trike Convention Catering.  March 14th 2014 in all we agreed that we could do the dinner for up to 200 trike members in Wagga Wagga.  Some questions need to be answered by the organisers before we go ahead.
  • We agreed to fund the fees for one student from Coolamon, Thomas Graham, to go to the Honeywell Rotary Engineering Summer School in Sydney next summer.
  • Saturday October 12th. Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital fete in Ganmain, volunteers required.

All in all a busy night.  Next week our regular Monday meeting will have a talk on Endangered Species by John Glassford.  This is an initiative of 5 Rotarians from 5 countries around the world in setting up a proposed Rotarian Group for Endangered Species, RAGES,  such as the rhino, elephant and mountain gorilla.

RAGES Logo: rhino crying by Paula Wiegmink.

Diary Reminders

Wednesday 17th July Lions Meeting Coolamon Rotary is invited to hear their guest speaker Kylie Dunston from Regional Development Australia talking on the NBN roll out and what it means for the Coolamon Shire.  Dinner meeting 7.00 for 7.30 pm at the Coolamon Sports and Recreation Club.

Friday 19th July to Sunday July 28th 2013 Up-to-Date Art Exhibition.

Winner of the 2012 People’s Choice Award by artist Tim Morris. The award in 2013 will be sponsored by Treats & Treasures Antiques & Collectables.

*Monday 22nd July John Glassford speaking on Endangered Species “What Rotary is doing to save the rhino.”  Gilbert Catering.

Monday 12th August Board Meeting.

Sunday 24th November Rotary Market Day in Coolamon.

Join new Rotary International President Ron Burton and more than 32,000 supporters in the World’s Biggest Commercial to support the fight to end polio!

The World’s Biggest Commercial

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Three Legged Chook

A man was driving along a rural road one day when he saw a three legged chicken. He was amused enough to drive along side it for a while, as he was driving he noticed the chicken was running 30 mph. Pretty fast chicken, he thought, I wonder just how fast it can run. So he sped up and the chicken did too!

They were now moving along the road at 45 mph! The man in the car sped up again, to his surprise the chicken was still running ahead of him at 60 mph!!! Suddenly the chicken turned off the road and ran down a long driveway leading to a farmhouse. The man followed the chicken to the house and saw a man in the yard and dozens of three legged chickens.

The man in the car called out to the farmer “How did you get all these three legged chickens?” The farmer replied, “I breed ’em. Ya see it’s me, my wife and my son living here and we all like to eat the chicken leg. Since a chicken only has two legs, I started breeding this three legged variety so we could all eat our favorite piece.” “That’s amazing!” said the driver “How do they taste?”

“Don’t rightly know, can’t catch ’em.”

God is missing

A couple had two little boys, ages 8 and 10, who were excessively mischievous. The two were always getting into trouble and their parents could be assured that if any mischief occurred in their town their two young sons were in some way involved. The parents were at their wits end as to what to do about their sons behavior. The mother had heard that a clergyman in town had been successful in disciplining children in the past, so she asked her husband if he thought they should send the boys to speak with the clergyman.

The husband said “We might as well. We need to do something before I really lose my temper!”

The clergyman agreed to speak with the boys, but asked to see them individually. The 8 year old went to meet with him first. The clergyman sat the boy down and asked him sternly, “Where is God?” The boy made no response, so the clergyman repeated the question in an even sterner tone, “Where is God?” Again the boy made no attempt to answer. So the clergyman raised his voice even more and shook his finger in the boys face, “WHERE IS GOD?” At that point the boy bolted from the room and ran directly home, slamming himself in the closet.

His older brother followed him into the closet and said, “What happened?”

The younger brother replied, “We are in BIG trouble this time. God is missing and they think we did it.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

British ophthalmologist receives top Foundation alumni award

Dr. Harminder Singh Dua receives the 2012-13 Rotary Foundation Global Alumni Service to Humanity Award at the Rotary International Convention in Lisbon, Portugal. At right is 2012-13 Rotary Foundation Trustee Chair Wilfrid J. Wilkinson. Photo by Monika Lozinska/Rotary International

Dr. Harminder Singh Dua, an Indian-born ophthalmologist in Nottingham, England, received the 2012-13 Rotary Foundation Global Alumni Service to Humanity Award at the Rotary International Convention in Lisbon, Portugal, in late June. He was nominated for the award by District 3030 (Maharashtra, India).

In 1981, Dua travelled from India to Pennsylvania, USA, as a member of a Group Study Exchange team, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Nagpur South, Maharashtra. Recalling the flight that began his trip, from Bombay (now Mumbai) to New York, he said, “Travelling with the sun, we had 24 hours of daylight. Isn’t that a wonderful thought: Let there be no darkness. I had unwittingly captured, at least in part, the spirit of Rotary and the spirit for which I would work for the rest of my life.”

Dua, who is chair and professor of ophthalmology at the University of Nottingham, Queen’s Medical Centre, has treated patients in the United Kingdom, India, and the United States and has shared his skills with students and colleagues around the world. Renowned as an authority on corneal disorders, he performs advanced surgeries.

While living in India, Dua performed thousands of free operations on poor patients with cataracts and glaucoma at free eye clinics sponsored by Rotarians and non-governmental organizations.

FULL STORY

Reminds me of the Darkness to Light project of Dr. Alok Sharma!

* Darkness to light is a RAWCS (Rotary Australia World Community Services) project.   Rotarian Dr. Alok Sharma PHF, an Eye specialist & member of The Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga will head a team of Rotarians in November 2013 to visit India to treat about 2,000 patients and perform up to 300 cataract operations and to provide free glasses to needy. all free of cost.  Our own Garth and Marg Perkin will be going to India with Alok in November.  We have a few going to the dinner from our club and if you want to join us call Marg Perkin.

Dr. Alok Sharma

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK

There is a force within that gives you life – Seek that.  RUMI.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

NEPAL FRIENDSHIP PROJECT

ROTARY CLUB OF ORANGE DAYBREAK.

President of the Rotary Club of Orange Daybreak, Murray Paterson, reports:

The 2013 Team has returned Maidi and Dhola Areas, of the Dhading District, Nepal – mostly intact! Dr David Watkins is sporting a “moon boot”, a consequence of stepping out at night without torchlight!

The rest of the Team showed they were seasoned travellers. David is also of course an inveterate and veteran world traveller himself! But he will always take a torch now on his way to the … well you know!!

A successful training program was again conducted in the Amarawati Secondary School in the Dhading District, Nepal. This time the training scope was increased – not just teaching but building, health and mental health as well.

Congratulations to all the intrepid travellers and to all our colleagues in Nepal – a job well done.”

The local Nepali people have extended their thanks to everyone who has contributed to this program. And they want and need us back again they say.  As Dr Arun Jha (a senior Nepalese psychiatrist) noted  –

“For me, it was an extraordinary experience to be with so many people from Australia staying in the tents and offering so many programmes to local people at the same time. I thoroughly enjoyed the work, but not the toilet facility!”

It would seem both Dr Jha and Dr Watkins have something to remember!!

That is the essence of our work – working together to build local capacity with the advice and direction of those who know best, our Nepali friends.”

Would you like to join us as we continue to adventure in the Himalayas?

Why not join us in April or in November 2014. Visit the villages, the mental health rehabilitation centre, have dinner with the local Rotary President, trek in Bhutan, ride an elephant in Chitwan; in November shop in New Delhi and meet the Tibetan community in the Indian Himalayas.

ROTARY CLUB OF ORANGE DAYBREAK

Websites of Interest

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

Malala Day at the UN

In her first speech since the Taliban in Pakistan tried to kill her for advocating education for girls, Malala Yousafzai celebrated her 16th birthday on Friday at the United Nations, appealing for compulsory free schooling for all children.

Wearing a pink head scarf which had belonged to the murdered Pakistani politician Benazir Bhutto – the country’s first female Prime Minister – Yousafzai told UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and nearly 1,000 students from around the world attending a Youth Assembly at UN headquarters in New York that education was the only way to improve lives.

“On the 9th of October 2012, the Taliban shot me on the left side of my forehead. They shot my friends too. They thought that the bullet would silence us.
“But they failed.”

RC of Nairobi Induction Dinner

The induction dinner or change over dinner for the RC Of Nairobi and new President David Hastie.  We are working with the RC of Nairobi this year on the Viara Junior Academy in Hurumu.

Congratulations David and to your board form the RC of Coolamon.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #02

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #02

Sunday saw 5 Coolamon Rotarians attend the Rotary Club of Junee’s Change Over Dinner, well it was lunch on a Sunday.  Junee are growing and gathering excellent new members and Immediate Past President Peter Commens is one of them.  Peter handed the reins over to Doug Bell.  A good roll up of other clubs and a most enjoyable way to spend Sunday.

Past President Peter Commens hands over to President Doug Bell with our District Governor Geoff Tancred as the witness.

MEETING MONDAY 8th.  JULY

President Dick began the meeting by inducting Grahame Miles as our Membership Director.  Dick also announced that the raffle on our change over night raised close to $500 for ROMAC the project of our DG’s wife Bettye Tancred.

Our first meeting for 2013-2014 with President Dick Jennings at the wheel.  Dick conducted a lively and fun meeting with the highlight being a talk by PP Ted Hutcheon on his life.  Ted was the oldest son of one of our well respected members the late PP George Hutcheon.   Ted’s talk was amusing with no holds barred and at times gruesome.  Ted’s exploits as a pilot and a member of the fire brigade were memorable.  In his 19 years of service with the fire brigade Ted was never allowed to drive the fire engine!   Thanks Ted.

Ted Hutcheon

We had 14 members present tonight a great result.  The raffle of one dozen Golden Ganmain Pies was won by Dick Jennings. Volunteers to compile the 2014 Coolamon Rotary Telephone Book were called for and we have 5 volunteers to form the committee.  This is one of our major projects that we do every 3-4 years.

Dick asked for names of members who wish to attend the Lions meeting next Wednesday 17th July and so far we have 10 members going even though it is the decider of the State of Origin.  There were several points of interest including the make up of the Business and Shop Locally Meeting for the 5th of August.  Please put this one in your diary.  We have a busy year upcoming so keep an eye on the diary below.

Diary Reminders

July 11th 2013 BINGO Leslie Weston,  Paul Weston, Wayne Lewis, Ian Durham

Monday 15th July Business meeting followed by a Board Meeting ALL members are very welcome to attend the board meeting.

Wednesday 17th July Lions Meeting Coolamon Rotary is invited to hear their guest speaker Kylie Dunston from Regional Development Australia talking on the NBN roll out and what it means for the Coolamon Shire.  Dinner meeting 7.00 for 7.30 pm at the Coolamon Sports and Recreation Club.

Friday 19th July to Sunday July 28th 2013 Up-to-Date Art Exhibition.

Winner of the 2012 People’s Choice Award by artist Tim Morris. The award in 2013 will be sponsored by Treats & Treasures Antiques & Collectables.

The new Rotary year: Changes you should know about

For three years, 100 districts have been testing Future Vision, a pilot of The Rotary Foundation’s new grant system, which was designed to increase Rotary’s effectiveness during the next century of service.

As the new Rotary year dawns, the future has begun. All districts begin using the simplified grant structure 1 July. Districts have already been completing the qualification process and qualifying their clubs. A number of clubs and districts have begun preparing and submitting grant applications.

There will be three types of grants: global, district, and packaged. You can learn about all three types, and get more details about the application process, on Rotary’s grant microsite .

Other changes for 2013-14:

• Rotarians will be allowed to form satellite clubs, whose members meet at a different time and location from their parent clubs. The change, approved by the Council on Legislation in April, is intended to make it easier for members to develop the core for a new club.
  • Districts will be able to form an unlimited number of e-clubs. The Council removed a limit of two e-clubs per district. The change is designed to bring in new members and appeal to young professionals, who may be less able to meet in person weekly.
  • The name of Rotary’s fifth Avenue of Service will change from “New Generations Service” to “Youth Service.” This change was also approved by the Council. In 2010, this avenue of service joined Club Service, Vocational Service, Community Service, and International Service.
  • The dues Rotary clubs pay Rotary International will increase US$1 to $53 per member.
  • A redesigned Rotary website will be launched in late summer.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Statue

A woman was in bed with her lover when she heard her husband opening the front door.

“Hurry!” she said. “Stand in the corner.” She quickly rubbed baby oil all over him and then she dusted him with talcum powder. “Don’t move until I tell you to,” she whispered. “
“What’s this, Honey?” the husband inquired, as he entered the room.

“Oh, it’s just a statue,” she replied nonchalantly. “The Smiths bought one for their bedroom. I liked it so much, I got one for us too.”

No more was said about the statue, not even later that night when they went to sleep.  Around two in the morning, the husband got out of bed, went to the kitchen and returned a while later with a sandwich and a glass of milk.

“Here,” he said to the ‘statue’., “Eat something. I stood like an idiot at the Smith’s for three days and nobody offered me so much as a glass of water.”:)

The Worms

Mr. Will was trying to teach his son the evils of alcohol so he would never touch it….

He put a worm in a glass of water & another worm in a glass of whiskey.

The worm in the water lived while the one in the whiskey curled up & died instantly.

“All right, son,” Said Will, “what did u understand from this?”

“Well dad, it shows that if you drink alcohol you will not have worms…so we should drink lots and lots of alcohol to kill the worms..

20 Years

A woman awakes during the night to find that her husband is not in their bed. She puts on her robe and goes downstairs to look for him. She finds him sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in front of him.

He appears deep in thought, just staring at the wall. She watches as he wipes a tear from his eye and takes a sip of coffee. “What’s the matter, dear?” she whispers as she steps into the room. “Why are you down here at this time of night?”

The husband looks up, “Do you remember 20 years ago when we were dating, and you were only 17?” he asks solemnly. The wife is touched, thinking her husband is so caring and sensitive. “Yes, I do,” she replies. The husband pauses.

The words are not coming easily. “Do you remember when your father caught us in the backseat of my car?” “Yes, I remember,” says the wife, lowering herself into a chair beside him. The husband continues, “Do you remember when he shoved a shotgun in my face and said, “Either you marry my daughter, or I will send you to jail for 20 years!” “I remember that too,” she replies softly.

He wipes another tear from his cheek and says, “I would have gotten out today!”

Bad bad idea!

ROTARY INFORMATION

Not engaging Rotary is killing clubs

Please read this story, I know it is from America but it makes sense!

Martin “Marty” Postic, Jr. 

By Martin “Marty” Postic, Jr., past governor of District 5750 (Oklahoma, USA) and a member of the Rotary Club of Oklahoma City Midtown, Oklahoma, USA

I am proud to say that I consider RI President Ron Burton a friend. One of my first Rotary Club make up meetings in 1985 was at a small club that had bad food, a bad program, REALLY bad singing and (surprise!) very few members. However, as I sat down, a man reached his hand across the table and said, “Hi! I’m Ron Burton from the Norman Rotary Club” and introduced me to a Rotarian guest he had brought.

Over the years, Ron and I became good friends. So much so that, one day in 1989 we had breakfast together in Norman while discussing some pending legislation in our state (Ron and I are both attorneys). As you might expect our conversation that morning eventually turned to Rotary. I was preparing to “move up the ladder” in my club to be president in a few years. Ron had already been District Governor and held other positions in Rotary and with The Rotary Foundation.

I had a desire to someday be our district governor and sought advice from him. After listening to his advice, I then asked, “Ron where do you want to go in Rotary?” He said, with a very overt confidence, “Marty, I’m going to be president of Rotary International someday.” His demeanor and his “swagger” told me this was not just a pipe dream. It would be a reality. As of 1 July, Ron Burton is the president of Rotary International – only the second one from my State of Oklahoma.

The words of our incoming president during his theme speech, Engage Rotary, Change Lives, at the International Assembly truly hit the proverbial nail on the head in summarizing what should be our motivation to make Rotary successful. Too many times, clubs and Rotarians focus only on bringing the bodies into Rotary. Sadly, we don’t also bring their hearts. It is easy to fill a room with members of a Rotary Club. However, unless and until we turn those members into Rotarians, they have no motivation to stay.

The most defining moment in the development of the Oklahoma City Midtown Rotary Club was when, after getting a grant to purchase some tools for a local high school’s drama department, several club members went to deliver the tools. Most of our members were shocked by the reaction of the teachers and the students who were overly appreciative of our club’s gift – so much so that some were crying. I sensed that experience affected the Midtown members to a point where they wanted to do more. As the Midtown Club was chartered, it consisted of all younger people (their average age was around 32) with no former Rotary experience. However, almost all of the members of that club now “get it.” They understand the value of service. They understand the need to help. They ARE Rotarians!

The club where I first met Ron Burton eventually “went out of business” a few years later. Their members were not engaged in Rotary, they were “engaged” in a coffee klatch. Those clubs that are identified in the community as a “lunch club,” a “breakfast club,” or – even worse – an “old man’s club” will fail. They won’t grow.

However, the community where I first met President Ron did start a new club a few years later. It is dynamic, active and engaged. I sincerely doubt that new club could have grown out of the shell of the former club. It needed to start anew.

Where is your club? Are you already marked with the “tattoo” of the “old man’s club”? Or are you more like the Oklahoma City Midtown club? It’s not too late to remove the tattoo, and engage Rotary.

– Adapted with permission from Marty Postic’s blog, Rotary Membership Revival – The New Club Project.

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK

RUMI:  Be a lamp, or a lifeboat or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Raising $300K for Timor-Leste Health Project

EastTimora

Rotary Club of Sydney – President’s Project

Isin-Di’ak Fund – A Timor-Leste Health Project

The Sydney Rotary Club will be supporting the University of Sydney’s Isin-Di’ak Fund.  This new fund has been set up with the overall objective of improving health outcomes in Timor-Leste.  The Governor of NSW, Prof Marie Bashir AC is the patron of the fund.

One of the first major projects of the fund will be the elimination of lymphatic filariasis, a very nasty, mosquito transmitted, parasitic disease.  This is the disease that causes elephantiasis – the gross swelling of limbs and other parts of the body.  It is very debilitating but quite preventable! A 5 year program involving mass treatment of the population annually with two anti-parasitic drugs should eliminate the disease. This will also eliminate another nasty parasite – intestinal worms (e.g. hookworms) which affect more than 60% of Timor-Leste children and cause anemia and malnutrition.

The key to the success of this program will be the training and education of the Timorese in the delivery of the drugs and the monitoring of the results.  A base line study has recently been completed which has confirmed the extent and severity of these problems.  Elimination of the diseases will make a substantial difference to the well being and quality of life for many Timorese.

The Rotary Club of Sydney is hoping to raise at least $300,000 in support of this very worthwhile project.

Please help us by DONATING HERE

ROTARY CLUB OF SYDNEY WEB SITE

Also from East Timor via the Rotary Club of Cairns Sunrise is an appeal for funds to help with the recent floods there.

Approximately 1000 people were flooded out of their homes, 5 deaths, 3 schools inoperable.
What we are trying to so is collect some $$$ and then we will send to Daryl Mills the Resident RAWCS Liaison person in Dili.  He will then buy Mosquito nets, blankets and cooking pots.
Our District Treasurer Col Lawson will get the money together for transfer.  We have sent some funds but as usual too much need so we are asking outside of our District.
Money is the best way of helping and Shelterbox was not involved.
All the best, 

Susanne Rea
PP O8/09 Rotary Club of Cairns Sunrise
Promotions and Development Co-ordinator RAWCS NR
2009- current
End Polio Now Chair D9550 2013-16

Websites of Interest

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

The Future is Here

After years of planning and a three-year pilot program, Rotary has launched its new grant model.The three new types of grants — district, global, and packaged grants — are part of the Future Vision Plan. Rotary received a 2013 silver Edison award for this plan.All qualified clubs and districts could start applying for grants and packaged grants in February, so some Rotarians will have a jump start this month, when they start receiving funds.