School of St Jude’s New Intake

Each year St Jude’s takes on 150 new students. They are selected because they are the poorest and brightest in the Arusha region. This video shows the day our newest 150 students received their brand new uniforms. See for yourself how happy the students and their parents are.

As you know our club has supported Gemma Sisia at the School of St Jude’s in the past. Gemma will be having a break out session at the RI Convention in June in Sydney.

This video is short to the point but very uplifting and well worth watching and sharing. I would put it in our bulletin but I cannot do that as yet, need new software. So call it a supplement for our bulletin!

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #31

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #31

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROTARY INTERNATIONAL 109 YEARS OLD

The first four Rotarians: Gustavus Loehr, Silvester Schiele, Hiram Shorey, and Paul P. Harris, Chicago 1905.

FEBRUARY IS WORLD UNDERSTANDING MONTH.

SUPPORT PEACE CENTERS

Through academic training, study, and practice the Rotary Peace Centers program develops leaders who are catalysts for peace and conflict resolution in their communities and around the globe. Graduates of the program are reintegrating refugees in Sudan, creating jobs for disadvantaged women in India, and supporting reconstruction in devastated regions of the world.

ROTARY PEACE CENTERS

Each year up to 100 Rotary Peace Fellows are chosen to participate in a master’s degree or certificate program at one of our partner universities. Fellows study subjects related to the root causes of conflict through a variety of lenses and explore innovative solutions that address real world needs. We have peace centers around the globe:

Chulalongkorn University, Thailand (certificate program)

Duke University and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, US

International Christian University, Japan

University of Bradford, UK

University of Queensland, Australia

Uppsala University, Sweden

Learn more about the Rotary Peace Fellowship

The University of Queensland is proud to partner with The Rotary Foundation to provide a tailored Masters Degree, aimed at potential world and community leaders, designed to have a practical effect on addressing international and regional conflicts.

R.I.P. PAST ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT

ROYCE ABBEY

P.R.I.P. Royce and Jean Abbey RC of Essendon

With great sadness that I inform you of the passing today of Royce Abbey AO. DCM, Past President Rotary International. Royce Abbey was RI President in 1988-89 and was a very popular and respected member of the Rotary Club of Essendon in District 9800.

Our friend, our Rotary Leader and Mentor to all who knew him, Royce will be sadly missed by all of us.

Royce has passed away following a short illness. The family have asked for privacy.

Regards,

David Bennett
Rotary Club of Brimbank Central
Rotary District 9800, Victoria, Australia.

One of Australian Rotary’s ‘national treasures’ was taken from us last Thursday with the passing of RI Past President Royce Abbey. Not just one of the great Rotarians of all time but also a distinguished businessman, decorated soldier, devoted family man and a magnificent leader in every way, Royce Abbey’s legacy to Rotary is enormous. He challenged Rotarians to ‘Put Life Into Rotary. Your Life’ as he led the Rotary world in 1988/89. Royce’s service above self provided an inspiration to many thousands of Rotarians in all parts of the world. His memory lives on …”Bob Aitken Past Editor of Rotary Down Under.”

MEETING MONDAY FEBRUARY 24th

We had 12 guests and 12 members attend the meeting last night.  President Dick Jennings welcomed all to this joint meeting between Wagga Wagga Sunrise and Coolamon.  Among our guests were Bill Thompson and Alex Thompson,  Bernadette Bodel from Ganmain, Mark Janetzki from Henty RC, Susan Glassford, Albert the dog whisperer from Coolamon, PP Barry Lillywhite and PP Ray Foley.  Representing Wagga Wagga Sunrise were PDG Fred Loneragan, President Peter Gissing, President Elect  Hendrik-Jan van Ieperen, Ndungi and Jeanette Mungai and  Kiprono Langat.

Last night PDG Fred Loneragan and John Glassford launched the Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day Climb.  Fred and John presented a slide show outlining the reasons for the adventure and showed photographs of  the second highest mountain in Africa Mount Kenya with her three peaks, Batian, Nelion and Point Lenana.  The date set for the summit is April 25th 2015.   So far there are 4 climbers joining the team from the Australian Army, all women who are training for Everest.

There is also a second team going as supporters who will go on safari during the time the other team is climbing.  We have not finalized the trip as yet however we will be visiting Hout Bay in South Africa on the way up to Kenya.  Hout Bay Rotary Club is our Rotary Centennial Twin Club.  Once in Nairobi we will be visiting one of the projects of the Rotary Club of Nairobi in Mathare for the Viara Junior Academy that we are supporting.

Some of the Wagga Wagga Sunrise members and Coolamon with a ring in from Henty at last night’s meeting.

The two clubs have joined forces for the Mount Kenya 2015 Adventure.  The presidents of Wagga Wagga Sunrise and Coolamon, Peter Gissing and Dick Jennings together with both incoming presidents Hendrik-Jan van Ieperen and Garth Perkin as well as the joint Mount Kenya team leaders PDG Fred Loneragan and John Glassford had a meeting prior to the talk and agreed to fomalise the partnership between our two clubs.

PETS YOUNG 2014

President Elect Garth Perkin gave a quick talk on the Presidents Elect Training Seminar held in Young on the weekend.  Garth will talk more on this in the weeks ahead.

Diary Reminders

Wednesday 26th February Hout Bay Rotary Club 28 years old party!  Happy birthday Hout Bay Rotary!

*Monday 3rd March Guest speaker Bill Fraser from the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Monday 3rd March Coolamon Rotary is 43 Years Old.

Monday March 10th Regular Meeting followed by a Board Meeting, all members very welcome to attend

Thursday March 13th BINGO Rostered ON: Henk Hulsman, Don Dyce, Neil Munro, Wayne Lewis

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Monday 17th March Internet Workshop Night with Paul Weston and John Glassford.  Bring your communication device with you, includes tablets, smart phones and lap tops.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Saturday 22nd March Music for Mates Concert in Coolamon.

*Monday 7th April Des Carmody Guest Speaker “Gallipoli Victory or Defeat?”

Thursday April BINGO Rostered ON: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Ted Hutcheon

Saturday 19th April EASTER MARKETS in Coolamon.

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos.

Thursday May 8th BINGO Rostered ON: Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

Thursday June 12th BINGO Rostered ON: John Glassford, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman

Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 June Wagga Wagga Book Fair.

Saturday 28th June D9700 Change Over Dinner in Orange.

*Monday July 7th 2015 ANNUAL CHANGE OVER DINNER

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Rotary International Ron Burton thanked staff for supporting the decisions and plans of Rotary members for a stronger and more sustainable #Rotary Foundation through Future Vision, which is now the new Rotary grants.

Learn more about Rotary grants atwww.rotary.org/myrotary/en/apply-grants.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Centipede

A man goes into a pet shop and tells the owner that he wants to buy a pet that can do everything.

The shop owner suggests a faithful dog.

The man replies, “Come on, a dog?”

The owner says, “How about a cat?”

The man replies, “No way! A cat certainly can’t do everything. I want a pet that can do everything!”

The shop owner thinks for a minute, then says, “I’ve got it! A centipede!”

The man says, “A centipede? I can’t imagine a centipede doing everything, but okay… I’ll try a centipede.” He gets the centipede home and says to the centipede, “Clean the kitchen.”

Thirty minutes later, he walks into the kitchen and… it’s immaculate! All the dishes and silverware have been washed, dried, and put away the counter-tops cleaned the appliances sparkling the floor waxed. He’s absolutely amazed.

He says to the centipede, “Go clean the living room.”

Twenty minutes later, he walks into the living room. The carpet has been vacuumed the furniture cleaned and dusted the pillows on the sofa plumped, plants watered.

The man thinks to himself, “This is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. This really is a pet that can do everything!”

Next he says to the centipede, “Run down to the corner and get me a newspaper.”

The centipede walks out the door. 10 minutes later… no centipede.

20 minutes later… no centipede. 30 minutes later… no centipede.

By this point the man is wondering what’s going on. The centipede should have been back in a couple of minutes. 45 minutes later… still no centipede!

He can’t imagine what could have happened. Did the centipede run away? Did it get run over by a car? Where is that centipede?

So he goes to the front door, opens it… and there’s the centipede sitting right outside.

The man says, “Hey!!! I sent you down to the corner store 45 minutes ago to get me a newspaper. What’s the matter?!”

The centipede says, “I’m goin’! I’m goin’! I’m just puttin’ on my shoes!”

The Genie

A woman was cleaning her attic with her cat by her side for company. Amongst the boxes and old papers she found a little lamp. She picked it up and wiped it off with her apron, when “POOF” out popped Genie. “I will grant you three wishes” proclaimed the Genie.

The woman thought for a moment and said “I wish I was the most beautiful 20 year old woman in the world, I wish I had more money than I knew what to do with, and I wish you would turn my cat into the most handsome prince around.”

The Genie nodded and after a huge cloud of dust cleared, the Genie was gone and so was the lamp.

The woman looked at herself and she was certainly beautiful. She was surrounded with scads of money in Large Bills. She flung an armful in the air and watched it flutter down around her. She giggled with delight at the mountains of cash.

Then she turned to look where her adoring cat once stood. There in the feline’s place stood a tall, dark, handsome man with chiseled features, a washboard stomach, broad shoulders, and a soccer-players-tush. She walked over to him, he put his arms around her, brushed his hand upon her cheek, looked deep into her eyes and whispered softly, “Now, aren’t you sorry that you had me neutered?

ROTARY INFORMATION

ROTARY RELEASES US$35.9 MILLION TO FIGHT POLIO IN AFRICA AND ASIA

EVANSTON, Ill., USA (18 February 2014) — The continued fight to eliminate polio gets an additional $36 million boost from Rotary in support of polio immunization activities and research to be carried out by the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, which aims to end the disabling viral disease worldwide by 2018.

The funding commitment comes at a critical time as the eradication initiative focuses on stopping polio in the three countries where the virus remains endemic: Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan. Stopping polio in those countries is crucial in order to halt the recent spate of outbreaks in countries where the disease had previously been beaten and where mass immunizations of children via the oral polio vaccine must continue until global eradication is achieved.

The Rotary grants include $6.8 million for Afghanistan, $7.7 million for Nigeria and $926,000 for Pakistan. Grant amounts are based on requests from eradication initiative partners UNICEF and the World Health Organization, which work with the governments of polio-affected countries to plan and carry out immunization activities.

FULL STORY HERE

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

Bruce Leslie and Killer… South African National Parks special operations K-9 unit!  Interesting choice of weapon though …the famous para-troopers FN  7.62 as used by the selected troops in the Rhodesian war!  Now used to protect rhinos and elephants from the  poachers.  In 2013 1,004 rhinos poached in South Africa alone.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Neema Monyancha from Nakuru Kenya
“I met with Neema’s mother, Naomi today and her’s is a heart breaking story.  The family fled Kericho at the height of the post election violence in January of 2008.  Neema’s father was a businessman in the town and was doing well for his family and Naomi was a stay at home mom.
During the violence, their business, home and property were burnt down and they fled with only the clothes on their backs.  The family stayed briefly with relatives in Nakuru and both Naomi and her husband found odd jobs to support their family.  Things have not been easy for this family that was not officially recognized as IDPs since they did not live in an IDP (Internally Displaced People), camp and so did not receive any support from the government.
They have struggled to put 3 other children through high school, feed, cloth and house them. The husband is now psychologically affected and may need professional help, leaving only the mother to work and take care of the family and the burden is too heavy for her. As a mother, I feel her pain when her children cannot have the very basic of needs met.
Jaine Kamau
PE Rotary Club of Nakuru Kenya.”
This is a job for Rotary and would any of you reading this post please contact me and we will start a project to raise the funds for her schooling which is around $900 per annum.

Daily Nation Kenya

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

Gemma Sisia, Australian author and founder of the St. Jude’s School in Tanzania, has confirmed her participation in the ‪#‎ricon14‬ breakout program on Monday, 2 June from 15:30-17:00.. She was a plenary speaker in Brisbane (2003).

Gemma is a countrywoman from New South Wales, Australia who had grit and determination to build St Jude’s in East Africa, to help children break out of the cycle of generational poverty. Through her travels, she met and married a Tanzanian, Richard Sisia and her father-in-law gave them land on which to develop a school.

On returning from Africa to Australia, she sought the help of local Rotary Clubs to make her dream come true. Her first donor gave her ten dollars and generous Rotarians pitched in, donating thousands of dollars and supplies towards the project. They even travelled over to Arusha to lend a hand and build classrooms.

In 2002, St Jude’s began with only three students and one teacher and it now gives a free, high quality education to more than 1,800 children. It is remarkable how far the school has progressed over a decade, with well-stocked classrooms, three campuses, boarding rooms and playing fields.

Gemma is eternally grateful to Rotarians, donors, sponsors and supporters who are helping St Jude’s fight poverty through education. She is a proud mother to her four children, Nathanial, Jacob, Isabella and Louisa.

SOME ATTRACTIONS IN AND AROUND SYDNEY

The Hunter Valley a 2 hour drive from the centre of Sydney.

THE HUNTER VALLEY

Photos by Matt Lauder Photography

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

The programme Click to Enlarge:

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION PORTLAND 1911

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the history of conventions:

Convention History:

This photo was acquired by Jack M. B. Selway and donated to the Rotary International Archives Dept. It is a rare picture of the 1911 Portland convention delegates.

Until the Houston convention in 1914, Rotary had celebrated all its conventions in August. After the convention in Buffalo, 18-21 August 1913, the dates of the Houston convention were changed to 22-26 June 1914. Subsequently, the conventions of San Francisco (1915)and Cincinnati (1916) were celebrated in July. At that point, Rotary established a tradition, programming the convention for a date near the end of the Rotary year, in May or June.

Although the present practice to identify the salient president of Rotary International with the convention that is celebrated at the end of his or her year of office, does not necessarily apply to the conventions celebrated during the term of office of Frank L. Mulholland, 1914-15.  He was chosen by the delegates of the Houston convention, and he participated in the convention of San Francisco, 18-23 July 1915. Russell Greiner, 1913-14, and Arch Klumph, 1916-17, celebrated two conventions during their terms in office; they shared these conventions with their predecessors and successors.

Trivia: The smallest convention was the first, 1910, with 60 attendees. The largest registration number, to date, was 43,381 at the 2004 convention in Osaka, Japan

FOOT NOTE

One of the Rotary Clubs that we receive their weekly bulletin is the Rotary Club of Sandy Springs in Atlanta.  PDG Barry Smith from Sandy Springs has joined RAGES and gave a presentation to a joint meeting of the Sandy Springs RC and the RC of Emory Druid Hills also in Atlanta.  The presentation has resulted in several new members of RAGES from that talk by PDG Barry.  Here are some photos and a link from that meeting:

Thanks Barry!

ROTARY CLUB OF SANDY SPRINGS BULLETIN

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2013 -2014

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #30

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #30

ROTARY AMBASSADORIAL SCHOLAR MEGAN MACDONALD FROM CALIFORNIA AND KENYA.

Current Work:

Megan is responsible for managing Sasa Designs by the Deaf – DOOR’s Kenyan job creation program for women creating unique jewelry for international export. Sasa Designs employs between 8-12 women at a time providing skills and leadership training alongside a fair wage. Megan is working to create market linkages with buyers in the US and Europe to allow Sasa Designs to reach further into Kenya’s slums to employ even more Deaf women in dire need of healthy incomes and opportunities for themselves and their children. In addition, proceeds after expenses go to help reach the Deaf in Africa with the Gospel through DOOR’s Africa Deaf Bible Training and Translation Center operation in Nairobi, Kenya.

History:

Megan traveled to Kenya for the first time as a ten year old, and the people and country left an indelible mark on her heart. Over the years as she explored her faith, she felt called to return to the continent that first inspired her to seek to serve in an international context. In 2007, she left a career in public service to volunteer with a mission serving in Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa where she worked at a children’s center and managed an HIV/Aids prevention grant. On the heels of that work she was blessed with a grant to study abroad as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar, finally returning to Kenya in 2008.

During her first two years in Kenya, Megan began to understand the factors affecting both country and personal development in a country that continues to be plagued by poverty. Over time, she realized that job creation and education are the most important opportunities that anyone hoping to support the people of Kenya can help provide. Megan’s research during her M.A. program focused on ethical artisans (i.e. following fair trade principles), accessing international markets via the Internet.

When she learned about Sasa Designs, she knew it was for a reason, and quickly joined the team! Having lived in Kenya since 2008, Megan knows how challenging it can be to find opportunities for work and spiritual enrichment if a person suffers from physical impairments. Further, she has learned during her time here how important employing women is – it is through positive employment that women ensure their children go to school, have healthy foods and the best opportunities possible. Working with DOOR to serve the deaf is a way for Megan to ensure her energy and blessings are invested in those most in need.

Megan studied Sociology at Chapman University in Orange, CA and holds a M.A. in Development Studies from the University of Nairobi.

Editor’s Note: I first met Megan MacDonald in Los Angeles at the Rotary International Convention in 2008.  Megan was on her way to Kenya to study at the University of Nairobi as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar.  Megan has kept a blog on her activities and some of her posts are truly remarkable.

Megan’s Blog

MEETING MONDAY 17th FEBRUARY 2014

Our guest speaker tonight was Simon Playfair from Planet Power in Wagga Wagga.  In all we had 20 members and their guests attend a lively and very informative night.  Simon is well known to many in our club.

Simon Playfair addresses our members and PP Mark Reardon thanks Simon for his talk.

Simon was honest in his presentation and outlined some of the major benefits of switching to solar power as well as saying that solar power had it’s limitations.  Simon encouraged us to send him our last power bills and he would reply with am honest appraisal.  He feels that an average size solar panel system of around 3 Kw would cost around $5,000  and would pay for itself in a few short years.  Simon answered many questions from an interested audience.

Planet Power Web Site

Rotarian Bernadette Milne reported  on the afternoon and evening at the Ganmain Bowling Club for young Jake Underwood (5 y.o.) who is about to go into a 2 year treatment for Leukemia.  The Ganmain Community came to the party and the total raised in one day is fast approaching $80,000 and they are still counting.  Well done Ganmain.  Those who do not know Ganmain and who read this bulletin Ganmain has a population of around 560 a small village with a huge heart.  Three members of Coolamon Rotary live in Ganmain.  We are sure to hear more on Jake and Jake will need on going support which will be forthcoming.

President Dick Jennings reminded all that next week PDG Fred Loneragan and John Glassford will be launching the Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Centenary Climb.

Diary Reminders

Thursday 20th February Wollundry Rotary Club Polio Plus Movie Night in Wagga Wagga and this year the movie  is Las Vegas with Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, and Kevin Kline.  It has been reviewed as a great comedy and good fun … that everyone in the audience will enjoy.

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd February PETS in Young

Sunday 23rd February Rotary’s Birthday 109 years old.

*Monday 24th February Guest Speakers PDG Fred Loneragan and John Glassford Mount Kenya 2015.  Partners welcome.

*Monday 3rd March Guest speaker Bill Fraser from the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Monday March 10th Regular Meeting followed by a Board Meeting, all members very welcome to attend

Monday 17th March Internet Workshop Night with Paul Weston and John Glassford.  Bring your communication device with you, includes tablets, smart phones and lap tops.

Thursday March 13th BINGO Rostered ON: Henk Hulsman, Don Dyce, Neil Munro, Wayne Lewis

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Thursday April BINGO Rostered ON: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Ted Hutcheon

Thursday May 8th BINGO Rostered ON: Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

Thursday June 12th BINGO Rostered ON: John Glassford, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

On 11 February, in recognition of India marking three years without a new case of #polio#Rotary President Ron Burton joined Indian President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi, to commend the health workers, volunteers, and partners who helped to make it possible.

Read about this milestone at www.rotary.org/myrotary/en/india-celebrates-three-years-without-polio.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Traffic Camera

A man was driving when he saw the flash of a traffic camera.

He figured that his picture had been taken for exceeding the limit, even though he knew that he was not speeding.

Just to be sure, he went around the block and passed the same spot, driving even more slowly, but again the camera flashed.

Now he began to think that this was quite funny, so he drove even slower as he passed the area again, but the traffic camera again flashed.

He tried a FOURTH TIME with the same result.

He did this a FIFTH TIME and now was laughing when the camera flashed as he rolled past, this time at a snail’s pace.

Two weeks later, he got FIVE tickets in the mail……for driving WITHOUT A SEAT BELT.

Speeding Husband

A police officer pulls over a speeding car. The officer says, “I clocked you at 80 miles per hour, sir.”

The driver says, “Gee, officer I had it on cruise control at 60, perhaps your radar gun needs calibrating.”

Not looking up from her knitting the wife says: “Now don’t be silly dear, you know that this car doesn’t have cruise control.”

As the officer writes out the ticket, the driver looks over at his wife and growls, “Can’t you please keep your mouth shut for once?”

The wife smiles demurely and says, “You should be thankful your radar detector went off when it did.”

As the officer makes out the second ticket for the illegal radar detector unit, the man glowers at his wife and says through clenched teeth, “Darn it, woman, can’t you keep your mouth shut?”

The officer frowns and says, “And I notice that you’re not wearing your seat belt, sir. That’s an automatic $75 fine.”

The driver says, “Yeah, well, you see officer, I had it on, but took it off when you pulled me over so that I could get my license out of my back pocket.”

The wife says, “Now, dear, you know very well that you didn’t have your seat belt on. You never wear your seat belt when you’re driving.”

And as the police officer is writing out the third ticket the driver turns to his wife and barks, “WHY DON’T YOU PLEASE SHUT UP??”

The officer looks over at the woman and asks, “Does your husband always talk to you this way, Ma’am?”

“Only when he’s been drinking.

ROTARY INFORMATION

EMBRACE SPONTANEITY TO SPARK IDEAS FOR YOUR CLUB

Every Thursday evening, members of the Rotary Club of San Luis Obispo, California, USA, gather at a local cigar shop owned by a member of the club for an informal get-together, sparking ideas for service projects.
Photo Credit: Photo by Kim Lisagor

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs told his biographer, Walter Isaacson, that creativity is the result of spontaneous meetings and random discussions. “You run into someone, you ask what they’re doing, you say ‘wow,’ and soon you’re cooking up all sorts of ideas.”

Rotary club meetings tend to be structured for efficiency. A certain amount of casual dialogue happens as members trickle in, but it often ends when the official meeting begins. With a bit of effort, though, we can create opportunities for the sort of interactions that may inspire the next great idea.

IN YOUR MEETINGS

Your club’s physical meeting place can make a big difference, as can the arrangement of furniture. The Rotary Club of Newcastle Enterprise, Australia, had traditionally arranged the dinner tables in a large “U” formation, which helped club members see the guest speaker but limited dinner conversations. “Some members always chose to sit next to a particular friend, meaning they only spoke to one other person,” says club president Julia Brougham. The club boosted discussion by adding smaller round tables where members can chat with six people at once.

FULL STORY HERE

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

Happy Belated Valentines Day to all our readers!!

Thandi had her horn hacked off by poachers and survived thanks to the skills of Dr. William Fowlds.

The Story of Thandi

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

SEND MAGGIE TO UNIVERSITY

Margaret Wanjiku “Maggie”.

FROM MEGAN MACDONALD’S BLOG (see story on Megan top of bulletin)

“Maggie has become a friend and a bit of a teacher to me. She has told me of her experience during the post election violence, about growing up in a combination of Mathare slum and the HCI children’s home. Of being sidelined by pneumonia during her upper class years in high school, and then again this year as she prepared for the coming exams that will determine her academic fate. Her performance will dictate whether she gets a treasured spot in the public University system with fees paid – but less than 10% do.

We already have a couple yearly commitments – woohoo! We are looking to raise the additional $4900 for year one.  I BELIEVE IN THIS WOMAN AND WHAT SHE CAN DO IN HER FUTURE.”

Megan MacDonald

Ambassadorial Scholar 2008-09, Kenya

Rotarian, Rotary Club of Hurlingham 2010 to current, Nairobi

Director of Global Enterprise, Sasadesignsbythedeaf.com

HELP MAGGIE FINISH UNIVERSITY.

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

THURSDAY 29th May at the SCG

SYDNEY SWANS VERSUS GEELONG CATS

AUSSIE ROTARY RULES TICKETS

The Blue Mountains a 2 hour drive from the centre of Sydney.

THE BLUE MOUNTAINS

Photos by Matt Lauder Photography

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION PORTLAND 1911

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the history of conventions:

Convention History:

This photo was acquired by Jack M. B. Selway and donated to the Rotary International Archives Dept. It is a rare picture of the 1911 Portland convention delegates.

Until the Houston convention in 1914, Rotary had celebrated all its conventions in August. After the convention in Buffalo, 18-21 August 1913, the dates of the Houston convention were changed to 22-26 June 1914. Subsequently, the conventions of San Francisco (1915)and Cincinnati (1916) were celebrated in July. At that point, Rotary established a tradition, programming the convention for a date near the end of the Rotary year, in May or June.

Although the present practice to identify the salient president of Rotary International with the convention that is celebrated at the end of his or her year of office, does not necessarily apply to the conventions celebrated during the term of office of Frank L. Mulholland, 1914-15.  He was chosen by the delegates of the Houston convention, and he participated in the convention of San Francisco, 18-23 July 1915. Russell Greiner, 1913-14, and Arch Klumph, 1916-17, celebrated two conventions during their terms in office; they shared these conventions with their predecessors and successors.

Trivia: The smallest convention was the first, 1910, with 60 attendees. The largest registration number, to date, was 43,381 at the 2004 convention in Osaka, Japan

FOOT NOTE

Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library has established a great partnership with ‪#‎Rotary‬ and just launched the Imagination Library in Australia this week. This follows very successful trials with our local #Rotary Clubs and a strong partnership with United Way.

Look out for more on this in the April edition of Rotary Down Under! Find out what’s been happening and how your club can get involved.

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

AUSTRALIAN ROTARY HEALTH

Message from DGE David Kennedy who will be our District Governor from July 1st 2014.

PDG John Egan in hi role as Board member for ARH wishes for it to be known that two positions exit for members within our District who may have an interest in Australian Rotary Health.

The first position will be as District Representative for ARH. The second as a District Committee person.

The District also wish to thank Mary-Ann Kelly who is stepping down from the role of District Rep. for her service to the District over an extended period of time and wish her well with future endeavours.

To express you interest in on of these positions contact John Egan on his email at johnandmariaeganATgmail.com or call him on 040204880349.

“All current District Representatives have been provided with all the necessary promotional material, DVDs, speech notes, training  programme, newsletters, etc., that will assist them in their role.  lf a new District Representative is appointed, a similar pack will be provided.”

DGE David Kennedy

Australian Rotary Health Web Site

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #29

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #29

MALALA IS ONE OF US

Malala Yousafzai was shot in October 2012 for defying the Taliban by speaking out for girls’ education.
Photo Credit: ©Niall Carons-PA Wire.
The Swat Valley of northern Pakistan, in the highlands between Kashmir and the Khyber Pass, was once a lush, peaceful place. It was ruled by Miangul Abdul Haq Jahanzeb — the Wali, or absolute monarch, of Swat. A modernizer, the Wali built schools for his subjects — girls as well as boys — and toured remote regions where no one had ever seen an automobile.
You have probably heard of Malala Yousafzai. Only 15 at the time, Malala was a star student at the Khushal School and College in the Swat Valley town of Mingora. A voracious reader of everything from Pashto poetry to the Twilight saga, she wore a navy blue school uniform to her classes in science, math, Islamic studies, English, and Urdu, the language in which she wrote a blog about life under threat from the Taliban. She blogged about battles between Pakistan’s army and the Taliban (“The night was filled with the noise of artillery fire”), about helicopter gunships buzzing overhead, about book shortages, her dreams, her favorite pink dress, and about the possible end of her schooling:

“The Taliban have issued an edict banning all girls from attending school.”

Her father was doing his part to keep the traditions of Swat alive. In 2010, after Pakistan’s army restored partial order in Mingora, he helped his Rotary club stage the first public musical performance in the town since the Taliban takeover. “We Rotarians were proud to arrange such a show. It was a brave thing to do, since the Taliban influence was still there,” says Yousafzai, a member of the Rotary Club of Mingora Swat. “Things were uncertain, with many threats and frequent assassinations. But we put on a good show.”

That’s Malala’s goal too. The other day her father, reflecting on his family’s remarkable trajectory, said he hoped to go home someday.

“I dream of a time when we will go back to Swat, our dream valley,” Yousafzai says. “And I will ask Malala to join our Rotary club.”

FULL STORY ON MY ROTARY HERE.

MEETING MONDAY 10th FEBRUARY 2014

We had our monthly board and planning meeting last night and among the decisions made were:

• Telephone Book Close of entries on February 28th.
  • We need volunteers to work with the Lions on Saturday 22nd March  Music for Mates in Coolamon.
  • RYDA in Wagga Wagga Coolamon on Friday 21st March 2 Volunteers.
  • 2014 Scarecrow Festival tentative support subject to several conditions.

We had 11 members present last night and the meeting went very well under our new format.

Reminder 1 that we have Bill Fraser from the Royal Flying Doctor Service on Monday 3rd March.

Reminder 2 Des Carmody is our guest on 7th April subject “Gallipoli Victory or Defeat?”

Reminder 3 Bingo this Thursday night in Coolamon.

Reminder 4 Contact Christine Atkinson by Friday each week if you are NOT attending Monday meeting.

Diary Reminders

Thursday 13th February BINGO Dick Jennings, Rodney Jarrett, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson

Saturday 15th February Ganmain Fundraiser for Jake Underwood Ganmain Bowling Club.

Monday 17th February Regular Meeting Guest Speaker Simon Playfair “Solar power production and financial incentives!” Gilbert Catering.

Thursday 20th February Wollundry Rotary Club Polio Plus Movie Night in Wagga Wagga and this year the movie  is Las Vegas with Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, and Kevin Kline.  It has been reviewed as a great comedy and good fun … that everyone in the audience will enjoy.

*Monday 24th February Guest Speakers PDG Fred Loneragan and John Glassford Mount Kenya 2015.  Partners welcome.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

From left: RI Director Celia Elena Cruz de Giay; Consul General of the Argentine Republic Marcelo Suarez; 2013-14 RI President Ron Burton; and 1996-97 RI President Luis Vicente Giay at a reception for consuls general at Rotary world headquarters.

2013-14 RI President Ron Burton and Deputy Counsul General of Japan Keiko Yanai at the reception for consuls general at Rotary world headquarters.

On The Lighter Side

Two Parrots.

A lady goes to her priest one day and tells him, ‘Father, I have a problem.

I have two female parrots,

But they only know to say one thing’

‘What do they say?’ the priest asked.

They say, ‘Hi, we’re hookers! Do you want to have some fun?’

‘That’s obscene!’ the priest exclaimed,

Then he thought for a moment……

‘You know,’ he said, ‘I may have a solution to your problem. I have two male talking parrots, which I have taught to pray and read the Bible…

Bring your two parrots over to my house, and we’ll put them in the cage with Francis and Peter.

My parrots can teach your parrots to pray and worship,

And your parrots are sure to stop saying… That phrase… In no time.’

‘Thank you,’ the woman responded, ‘this may very well be the solution.’

The next day, She brought her female parrots to the priest’s house…. As he ushered her in,  she saw that his two male parrots were inside their cage holding rosary beads and praying..

Impressed, She walked over and placed her parrots in with them…

After a few minutes, The female parrots cried out in unison:

Hi, we’re hookers! Do you want to have some fun?’

There was stunned silence…

The one male parrot looked over at the other male parrot and said,

‘Put the beads away, Frank,

Our prayers have been answered!

The Ostrich

A man walks into a restaurant with a full-grown ostrich behind him.The waitress asks them for their orders.The man says, “A hamburger, fries and a coke,” and turns to the ostrich, “What’s yours?””I’ll have the same,” says the ostrich.

A short time later the waitress returns with the order. “That will be $9.40 please.” The man reaches into his pocket and pulls out the exact change for payment. The next day, the man and the ostrich come again and the man says, “A hamburger, fries and a coke.”

The ostrich says, “I’ll have the same.”

Again the man reaches into his pocket and pays with exact change.

This becomes routine until the two enter again. “The usual?” asks the waitress.”No, this is Friday night, so I will have a steak, baked potato and a salad,” says the man.”Same,” says the ostrich.Shortly the waitress brings the order and says, “That will be $32.62.”Once again the man pulls the exact change out of his pocket and places it on the table.

The waitress cannot hold back her curiosity any longer. “Excuse me, sir. How do you manage to always come up with the exact change in your pocket every time?”

“Well,” says the man, “several years ago I was cleaning the attic andfound an old lamp. When I rubbed it, a Genie appeared and offeredme two wishes. My first wish was that if I ever had to pay for anything,I would just put my hand in my pocket and the right amount of moneywould always be there.”

“That’s brilliant!” says the waitress. “Most people would ask for a million dollars or something, but you’ll always be as rich as you want
for as long as you live!”

“That’s right. Whether it’s a gallon of milk or a Rolls Royce, the exactmoney is always there,” says the man.

The waitress asks, “What’s with the ostrich?”

The man sighs, pauses and answers, “My second wish was for a tall chick with a big ass and long legs who agrees with everything I say..”

ROTARY INFORMATION

Every woman deserves education, access to health care

By Divya Gopisetty, president of the Interact Club of Oakwood High School, Morgan Hill, California

I am amazed at all Rotary is able to accomplish. Each of you, members of Rotary, has an unyielding passion for change, a kind heart, and a determined spirit. You have discovered the importance of taking action instead of merely acknowledging issues exist. You are role models for the rest of the world.

Because of your enormous success and drive, I propose a new project for Rotary clubs to undertake. “Every Woman, Every Right” would not only build schools in poorer parts of developing countries, but also advance the security of women, and aid in providing health care where people can’t afford hospitals or treatment.

Unequal power relationships between men and women, social norms that decrease education and paid employment opportunities, and physical and verbal harassment are just a few of the conditions that prevent women and girls around the world from attaining the best possible level of health and education.

In the past few decades, the maternal mortality rate has decreased globally by about 40 percent. But on average, 800 women still die every day due to complications in pregnancy and childbirth. Women need significantly better access to quality family planning and other reproductive health services, skilled midwives, emergency obstetrics, and postnatal care.

FULL STORY HERE

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Ganmain rallies for 5 yo battling leukaemia

Jake Underwood from Ganmain

We urge you all in Rotary to get behind young Jake.

As A Ganmain boy and his family prepare for the fight of their lives against leukaemia, the Ganmain community are rallying the troops to bolster their spirits.

Just two weeks ago five-year-old Jake Underwood was excited about heading off to “big school” at St Brendan’s.

That dream however was quickly put on hold when tests revealed he had laeukemia, a blood cancer, which has seen him begin rounds of chemotherapy at the Sydney Children’s Hospital.

With mother and father Kelly and Daniel still trying to wrap their heads around Jake’s condition, close friends of the couple have been hard at work with fundraising plans to ensure they don’t need to worry about financial constraints.

Next Saturday a family fun night will be held at the Ganmain Bowling Club with the aim of raising funds to help the Underwoods cover medical expenses and the everyday living costs of needing to be in Sydney.

The family night will include kids entertainment and a mega auction including holidays to the Gold Coast and Bermagui, fishing charters, signed guernseys, AFL tickets, a guitar signed by Shannon Noll, gym memberships and beauty and pamper packages.

What: Fundraiser for Jake Underwood

When: Saturday, February 15 from 4pm

Where: Ganmain Bowling Club

Info: Kids entertainment, monster goods and services auction, dinner is available for $10 adults, $5 children or $25 family.

Can’t attend? Still want to help?

Visit the Jake Underwood Fundraiser event page on Facebook for auction item details and how to bid.

Alternatively, make a donation to the family at the following account.

Persons donating are asked to use their names as references.

Ganmain Memorial Bowling Club

BSB: 805-022

Account number: 38712837

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

For our American friends.  Australia is a BIG country.

Bronte Beach not as famous as Bondi.

Rhinos at the Sydney Opera House.

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION LISBON 2013

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the 2013

Convention in Lisbon (remember to click on the thumb nails to get a larger photo):

FOOT NOTE

THE PRINCE OF WALES AND PRINCE WILLIAM HAVE A MESSAGE:

LINK TO VIDEO

Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge record video as part of their mission to save elephants, rhino and other animals from extinction

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #28

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #28

Past RI President Luis Giay (left), Past RI President Sakuji Tanaka (centre), and Past Rotary Foundation Trustee Chair Wilfrid J. Wilkinson (right) placed wreaths in Hiroshima Memorial Park during the third Rotary Global Peace Forum 17 May 2012 . Giay served as chair and convener of the forum.

Rotary has a long-standing commitment to peace. At the grassroots level, members have worked to address the underlying causes of conflict and violence, such as hunger, poverty, disease, and illiteracy. Ten years ago, Rotary decided to take a direct approach to promoting world understanding by providing future leaders with the tools they need to “wage peace” on the global stage.

Since 2002, Rotary clubs have annually sponsored up to 110 scholars who embark on one to two years of study, earning either master’s degrees or professional certificates in peace and conflict resolution at Rotary Peace Centers at universities around the world. Seventy peace fellows have graduated from the Rotary Peace Center in Tokyo at International Christian University, and another 21 are currently enrolled; 25 peace fellows from Japan have studied abroad at Rotary Peace Centers.

MEETING MONDAY 3rd. FEBRUARY 2014

{Secretary Paul Weston reminded all directors to have their reports in by Wednesday for next week’s board meeting.}

Gail Commens receiving a vote of thanks from PP Ian Jennings.

Tonight we enjoyed a combined meeting with the Junee Rotary Club held in Coolamon.  President Dick Jennings and President Doug Bell welcomed all 28 members and their guests to the meeting.  It was a good night of fellowship and networking.  Our guest speaker tonight was Gail Commens from Junee.  Gail spoke on her recent trip to India with the CWA (Country Womens Association).  Gail attended the Associated Country Women of the World (ACWW) Triennial Conference in Chennai, India last September.  CWA of NSW is one of over 460 member societies of ACWW, which represents over 9 million women in more than 70 countries worldwide.

There were almost 350 women at the conference, they were all from different countries, different races, different languages, different social backgrounds, different life experiences. There was a princess, a queen mother, villagers from the highlands of New Guinea, farmer’s wives from outback NSW, but at ACWW they are all women working together. The unofficial song of ACWW is “A Song of Peace” which includes “but other hearts in other lands are beating, with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine”, despite their many differences there are many things that they all want that are the same.

One of the highlights of the conference was to see  Ruth Shanks AM, from Dubbo, be elected as the World President of ACWW.  Ruth is inspiration to many, she is a past state president, secretary and international officer of CWA of NSW. Ruth is seen in the above photo with members of the hosting association – Daughters of Mary Immaculate.

Gail spoke well of her trip to India and Sri Lanka.  Gail did say that the CWA and Rotary have a lot in common and that one day we should work together on serving our community both local and international.  Gail has been a member of the CWA for 43 years and has been the State Vice-President and currently the State International Officer.

A number of resolutions were also discussed and passed in Chennai, these covered such topics as:

• encouraging  maternal health education,
  • registration of all births without prejudice,
  • putting a stop to female genital mutilation,
  • improving the situation of victims of violence,
  • banning the use of Bisphenol A
  • acting on UN Security Council resolution 1325, regarding women & children in conflicts.

Well done CWA and thank you Gail!

Diary Reminders

Monday 10th February Regular Meeting followed by a Board Meeting.

Thursday 13th February BINGO Dick Jennings, Rodney Jarrett, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson

Thursday 20th February Wollundry Rotary Club Polio PLus Movie Night in Wagga Wagga and this year the movie  is Las Vegas with Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, and Kevin Kline.  It has been reviewed as a great comedy and good fun … that everyone in the audience will enjoy.

Saturday 28th June D9700 Change Over Dinner in Orange. *Partners and Guests Night.

In a speech at the Organization of American States, President Ron Burton said, “Young people are not our future, they are our now.” Ron Burton met the Swedish Ambassador as well as representatives from the Organization of American States — in Washington, DC, United States on January 30th 2014.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Little Johnny

Little Johnny and Jenny are only 10 years old, but they just know that they are in love.

One day they decide that they want to get married. So Johnny goes to Jenny’s father to ask him for her hand. Johnny bravely walks up to him and says “Mr. Smith, me and Jenny are in love and I want to ask you for her hand in marriage.”

Thinking that this was the cutest thing, Mr. Smith replies, “Well Johnny, you are only 10. Where will you two live?”

Without even taking a moment to think about it, Johnny replies “In Jenny’s room. It’s bigger than mine and we can both fit there nicely.”

Still thinking this is just adorable, Mr. Smith says with a huge grin, “Okay then how will you live? You’re not old enough to get a job. You’ll need to support Jenny.”

Again, Johnny instantly replies, “Our allowance – Jenny makes 5 bucks a week and I make 10 bucks a week. That’s about 60 bucks a month, and that should do us just fine”

By this time Mr Smith is a little shocked that Johnny has put so much thought into this. So, he thinks for a moment trying to come up with something that Johnny won’t have an answer to.

After a second, Mr.Smith says, “Well Johnny, it seems like you have got everything all figured out. I just have one more question for you. What will you do if the two of you should have little ones of your own?”

Johnny just shrugs his shoulders and says “Well, we’ve been lucky so far………”

C.I.A. Interview

A man and a woman are applying for a job at the CIA…

They both get to the end of the interview process when they are told there is only one test left. They are brought into a room where the interviewer says to the man:

“Through this door is your wife, I need you to take this gun, go in there and shoot her.”

So the man goes through the door… and about a minute later he comes out saying, “I couldn’t do it i love her to much.”

Now it’s the Woman’s turn. The interviewer says: “You have the same test, i need you to take this gun, go in there and shoot him”

So she goes in the door… and about a minute later they here two loud bangs, some yelling, a couple thuds, and then a body hitting the floor.

When the woman comes out the interviewer asks what happens, she says: “Some idiot loaded the gun with blanks, so i had to beat him to death with the chair!”

ROTARY INFORMATION

Marion Bunch, founder and CEO of Rotarians for Family Health and AIDS Prevention, speaks about our partners in service during plenary session 8. International Assembly, 17 January 2014, San Diego, California The Rotary Family Health Days (RFHD) are a signature programme of the Rotarians For Family Health & Aids Prevention, Inc. (RFHA), who initiate, coordinate and manage this program with the other partner organizations.

Rotary Family Health Days (RFHD) are a comprehensive, holistic offering of free health care services over three days across South Africa for parents, children, grandparents, friends and all the family. The RFHD will be carried out at 180 sites across the country, and will include the following services:

• HIV counseling and testing
  • TB testing
  • Diabetes and blood pressure screening
  • Polio and measles vaccination
  • Deworming
  • Vitamin A tablets

RFHA WEB SITE

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

The Victoria Falls are considered to be one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.

Also known as Mosi-o-Tunya (the smoke that thunders) the spray from the falls is visible for up to 50 km away. As a popular tourist destination the Falls provide breathtaking views and many different activities for tourists enjoy. Ranging from sightseeing to bungee jumping there is something to suit all tastes.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

THE SCHOOL OF ST JUDE’S

Gemma is heading to Australia in March to spread the word about St Jude’s! She is keen to meet with our supporters and others who are passionate about fighting poverty through education. If you’d like more information or are interested in hosting an event, you can contact us via [email protected].

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION 2014

ROTARY DOWN UNDER

“I  always wanted to be a cover girl! at this age I’m grateful for any cover I can get, and attempting to set a Guinness World Record with 450 #Rotarians waving 200 world flags from the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge on 30th May is going to test our event planning/engagement and communication skills to the m-a-x over the coming months.

We’ll be raising money to help End Polio Now which is so far eradicated from all but 3 countries. This event, when fully articulated (as the vision has it) has the potential to immunize over 200,000 children asBridgeClimb Sydney will donate 50% of ticket sales to the cause.”  Bob Aitken Former Editor of RDU.

Human Nature — Entertainment at Opening Plenary Session

Brothers Andrew and Mike Tierney, and high school friends Phil Burton and Toby Allen celebrate the impressive milestone of 25 years together this year as Australia’s most successful male vocal group, Human Nature. They are one of the great Australian music success stories; releasing 10 albums, 5 of which reached the #1 spot, over 24 platinum awards, 18 Top 40 hits, ARIA Award winners, and with album sales in well excess of 2 million in Australia alone.

For the past 5 years the group have performed 5 nights a week in Las Vegas becoming the first Australian musical group to secure a residency in the entertainment mecca. This year will see them surpass the equally impressive milestone of 1000 shows performed in Las Vegas Strip at the Venetian Casino & Resort.

www.humannaturelive.com.

The Host Organising Committee for the Rotary International Convention 2014 looks forward to welcoming you to Sydney, Australia’s beautiful harbour city and host of the 2000 Olympic Games. The Rotary International Convention 2014 will be held at Sydney Olympic Park from Sunday 1st June to Wednesday 4th June 2014.

There will be plenty of exciting and interesting things going on during the Sydney Convention, only some of which will be at the convention itself. We invite you to get out and explore our wonderful city and experience our Aussie culture first hand. This section of our site will help you uncover what’s on in Sydney and around our island nation during the 2014 Sydney Convention.

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION LISBON 2013

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the 2013

Convention in Lisbon (remember to click on the thumb nails to get a larger photo):

FOOT NOTE

RAGES Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species.

We are looking for more members to join this proposed Rotarian Action Group.   We have received some encouraging news from Rotary International and we will be re-applying to RI for approval at the RI Board meeting in June in Sydney.

Our advice from Evanston included the following offer of help:

“Please note that this is an atypical approach to an application, but I want to ensure that it succeeds, as I believe deeply that RAGES can be part of the movement to stem the tide of species loss around the world. Let’s have a short back and forth via email regarding these answers, and I’ll be sure to take them back to the RAGs Committee con gusto.”

To join us go to our web site:

RAGES

RIP SIR FABIAN 26 JANUARY 2014

Cape Town – A seven-year-old white rhino bull, Sir Fabian – known by visitors for his unlikely friendship with a pug puppy – has been killed by poachers at a Garden Route reserve.

FULL STORY HERE

The Nyaru Game Lodge near Mossel Bay had sold the rest of their rhinos in an attempt to keep poachers at bay, but kept Sir Fabian because of his popularity with visitors.

We need ACTION.

Websites of Interest