Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #04

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #04

Be a Gift to the World

JULY IS ROTARY NEW YEAR MONTH

During July, Rotarians celebrate the new Rotary year with new leaders new plans and renewed focus on Service Above Self.  Have a great Rotary New Year!

DG Gary Roberts and Marilyn Roberts visit is on Monday 17th August.

Bring your goals and ideas along for this Rotary year.  Maybe write them down on coloured post notes for the DG’s wall!

Next Month is Rotary Membership Month let us set realistic goals on how we can increase our membership base.

Start by looking up this web site for ideas:

RI Membership.

MEETING MONDAY JULY 27th. 2015

Steven Grinter 1 (1)

Steven Grinter 1 (2)

Last night we had a good gathering with 4 guests and 10 members present.  Our guest speaker was Steven Grinter who spoke on volunteering in India.  Steven is a graduate of Wollongong University and spoke well of his experience in Bangalore.  Steven went with an organisation called 40K on a social impact programme for 4 weeks.

40K Volunteering.

Steven told us that the only other time he has traveled overseas was to Canada where he studied at McMaster University in Hamilton  Ontario.  The project that Steven worked on with his mates below was a project to empower women to become sustainable in small micro credit projects making such items as place mats, man bags, jewelry and the like.  They also had a lot of fun and visited places like Goa.

Steven in India

40K GLOBE IS ALL ABOUT YOUNG AUSTRALIAN’S getting a practical experience in an unfamiliar environment and culture. Globe sends you out to rural villages in India where we see enormous opportunity for young Australians to be creating real social impact. You will apply the skills you have learnt in your tertiary and professional life to be able to work on a social impact project that works through the stages of developing sustainable solutions surrounding the identified needs of the locals. We ensure that the projects are designed to help you learn new skills and that your new found skills are used to benefit the communities you work in.
 MOUNT KENYA ANZAC DAY 2015 CLIMB RESULTS TO DATE
John Glassford reported on the funds raised so far for the Mount Kenya ANZAC Day 2015 Climb.
Sumitt Email
On Saturday 25th July 2015 the Mount Kenya Team met in Temora for a post mortem on the results of the fund raising and to plan the future.
_DSC2166
John Glassford Coolamon, Chris Finkel Forbes, PDG Fred Loneragan Wagga Wagga Sunrise, Margaret Moore Griffith Avanti, Don Dyce Coolamon, Sally Farmer Coolamon, Mark Janetzki Henty, Lyn & Peter Sparks Griffith Avanti, Colin Wiese Lockhart and Kiprono Langat CSU Wagga Wagga.
Gross Result Funds Raised to Date:                       Cr $44,878.00

Expenses:

Mount Kenya 2015 Expenses                                       $  6,503.00

Net Proceeds for Distribution:

ORK Mathare Education Global Grant                       $  4,265.00

ORK RC Nairobi Hope Sponsorships                           $  4,265.00

ORK RC Nyeri Oloimugi School                                $  4,215.00

Coolamon House Hout Bay RC                                      $12,790.00

Legacy Australia                                                         $12,790.00

Diary Reminders

Monday August 3rd Meeting with Past AG Alan Sharp: Rotary Back to Basics

Monday 10th August Normal Meeting followed by Board Meeting.  All welcome to attend.

BINGO Roster Thursday August 13th:   Ian Jennings (Captain), Henk Hulsman, Don Dyce, John Nolte

*Monday August 17th DG Gary Roberts Official Visit.

Friday 21st August Hospital Trivia Night at the Coolamon Sports and Recreation Club details will follow.

*Monday 24th August Grahame Miles History of Liverpool England.

Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th September.  Canberra Australian Rotary Success Conference & Youth Summit 2015 At the Hellenic Club.

Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th April 2016 D9700 Conference in Wagga Wagga.

Saturday 28th May 2016 – Wednesday June 1st Seoul RICON South Korea  Seoul 2016

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

18243_10152858959138741_2552100910054980578_n

The Mule

A busy farmer needed some help with tending to the animals. His mother-in-law offered to spend some time on his farm, and being as busy as he was, the farmer had no choice but to accept her offer.

A few days later, the farmer’s mother-in-law was killed when his mule kicked her.

Thousands of people from town who had heard about the death came to the poor lady’s funeral, many that the farmer didn’t even know. A minister noticed this, came up to the farmer, and asked him, “Why are there so many people here?”

The farmer answered, “Oh, they’re not here for the funeral. They want to buy the mule.”

A man and his wife were sitting in the living room and he said to her,

“Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug.”
His wife got up, unplugged the TV and threw out all of his beer.

Stoned cow

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT

K.R. “RAVI” RAVINDRAN

Nigeria

Today marks one year since Nigeria’s last polio case. I want to thank you all for your contribution in the battle against this disease. To reach a polio-free Africa, we must maintain high-quality immunization activities and increase surveillance capacity. Donate today to help Rotary finish the fight: endpolio.org/donate

Rotary and Be a Gift to the World

DISTRICT GOVERNOR GARY ROBERTS D 9700

GR 01
 Young 2 Young

Young Rotary are developing a Heritage Walk.

Official opening August 15, come join the fun.

Available now on the D9700 Web Site.

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

This is BIG news from Rotary International and our polio plus campaign.

Today marks one year since Nigeria last reported a polio case caused by wild poliovirus, putting the country on the brink of eradicating the paralyzing disease.

The last case was reported on 24 July 2014 in the northern state of Kano. If no cases are reported in the coming weeks, the World Health Organization is expected to remove Nigeria from the list of countries where polio is endemic, leaving just two: Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Nigeria is the last polio-endemic country in Africa. The continent is poised to reach its own first full year without any illness from the virus on 11 August.

Today marks one year since Nigeria last reported a polio case caused by wild poliovirus, putting the country on the brink of eradicating the paralyzing disease.

The last case was reported on 24 July 2014 in the northern state of Kano. If no cases are reported in the coming weeks, the World Health Organization is expected to remove Nigeria from the list of countries where polio is endemic, leaving just two: Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Nigeria is the last polio-endemic country in Africa. The continent is poised to reach its own first full year without any illness from the virus on 11 August.

FULL STORY HERE

RICON 2016 SEOUL.

Seoul 2016

The 2016 Rotary Convention is your chance to meet Rotary members from around the globe. You’ll reconnect with old friends and make new ones while exploring different cultures and exchanging ideas for a better world.

Something for every Rotarian

Whether you’ve just joined Rotary or are a longtime club member, our annual convention will deepen your understanding and appreciation of Rotary. You’ll make personal connections on a global scale, discover new ideas for making positive change, and return to your club inspired and energized to take action. All this and the chance to explore Korea’s capital, Seoul.

The Seoul convention will be a unique experience highlighted by once-in-a-lifetime activities arranged by the Host Organization Committee:

• Tour Korea with local Rotary members
  • Enjoy stirring music and dance performances by local artists
  • Show off your talents at the Rotary Family Talent Contest

RICON 2016

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

One of the saddest results of poaching is the fact that the poachers are now using tranquilizers to sedate the victim before they cut off the horn.. They then leave the rhino to bleed to death not m,any survive this.  Tranquilizers are quiet versus a gun. Some like Hope do survive and then begins the traumatic work to mend the wounds.  This team of vets in South Africa are working so hard to save this rhino Hope.

Hope 1 Hope 2 Hope 3 Hope 4 Hope 5The Vets

Dr William Fowlds from the Chipembere Rhino Foundation on the right in the above photo is the rhino advisor and consultant to RAGES.  RAGES will be supporting the Chipembere team and their amazing work to protect and save rhinos.

JOIN RAGES HERE.

RAG-EndangeredSpecies_Standard logo (1)

RAGES WEB SITE

ONLY IN AFRICA

Baboon

Looking for Don Dyce heard he was here in Cape Town!

FOOTNOTE

The Up2Date Art Exhibition has come and gone and I am told a great success all round.  Congratulations to Marilyn Jennings and the committee.  Thank you to Christine Blair & Marilyn Jennings for all of their amazing work for the past 10 years! They created this event from scratch & have nurtured it into the incredible regional event that our community is so proud of today.

During Marilyn’s talk there was a shock announcement of their retirement from the event. It was however re-assured that the event would continue as a community run exhibition with Coolamon Shire Council as a supporting role.

Up2Date 8

Here are some photos from the week:

Up2Date 1 Up2Date 2 Up2Date 3 Up2Date 4 Up2Date 5 Up2Date 6 Up2Date 7

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2014 -2016

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species
Don’t  forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran

Governor of District 9700 Gary Roberts

Coolamon Club President  Wayne Lewis

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #03

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #03

Be a Gift to the World

During July, Rotarians celebrate the new Rotary year with new leaders new plans and renewed focus on Service Above Self.  Have a great Rotary New Year!

DG Gary Roberts and Marilyn Roberts visit is on Monday 17th August.

Bring your goals and ideas along for this Rotary year.  Maybe write them down on coloured post notes for the DG’s wall!

MEETING MONDAY JULY 20th. 2015

We had several guests including our speaker Dr Jane Quinn from Charles Sturt University.  In all 13 members attended with some potential new members.  Daryl Breust, John Franklin, John Bond, Andrew Quinn and Helen Lewis.

President Wayne Lewis welcomed everyone and we got straight down to business.  There is a fund raising at the Allawah Lodge on August 1st for Nepal.  Contact Annette on 0428 560 082.

Dick Jennings informed us that the cut off for donations ot the Operation Hope appeal is set for Monday 27th July.

John Glassford reminded members that there is a Mount Kenya Climb Post Mortem on Saturday at 11.00 am in Temora at the Ex-Services Club.

Dr Jane Quinn gave a very interesting talk on toxicity in some of our plants grown in the area.  Jane said that the toxic plants cost upwards of $180 million in stock losses annually in the Southern region some of these plants are the panicum species such as Hairy Panic.  Grazing hairy panic causes severe liver damage.

Jane went on to describe a toxicological detective story on a case where the poisoning was not diagnosed correctly until they traced the movement of the animals. In this case it was due to grazing on the amaranthus plant found in a paddock where the animals only stayed for a short period the property was near Uranquinty.

Monday 21 August 01 Monday 21 August 02 Monday 21 August 03

Grazier PE Don Dyce presents Jane with our Kangaroo Money Pouch.

Diary Reminders

Saturday July 25th Mount Kenya Post Mortem Meeting Temora Ex Services Club 11.00 am.

*Monday July 27th.  Guest Speaker Steven Grinter Coolamon on INDIA Hands on Volunteering.

Monday August 3rd Meeting with Past AG Alan Sharp: Rotary Back to Basics

Monday 10th August Normal Meeting followed by Board Meeting.  All welcome to attend.

BINGO Roster Thursday August 13th:   Ian Jennings (Captain), Henk Hulsman, Don Dyce, John Nolte

Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th September.  Canberra Australian Rotary Success Conference & Youth Summit 2015 At the Hellenic Club.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Fishing

The Bagpipes

Enjoy every moment of life. As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper’s cemetery in the Nova Scotia back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn’t stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight.
There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.

I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I’ve never played before for this homeless man

And as I played “Amazing Grace”, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head was hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, “I never seen nothing like that before and I’ve been puttin’ in septic tanks for more than twenty years…………….”

James Pond

K.R. “RAVI” RAVINDRAN

Ravi in Hawaii

I traveled to Hawaii to take part in the centennial celebrations of the Rotary Club of Honolulu. While there, Vanathy and I visited the Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii, where the Rotary Club of Honolulu is modernizing their gym as part of their centenary project.

GR 01

DG GARY AND HIS GIFT WALL

DG Wall

At District Changeover I requested all guests to write on a post it note their Gift To The World.  I was amazed at the responses and have created a “Gift Wall” in my Rotary office at home. I find them inspirational, gifts included, love, time, enthusiasm leadership, New Rotarians, New Clubs.

Marilyn and I are looking forward to meeting as many club members and partners as possible. The program for my visits will focus on making our clubs “The Place To Be” and inclusion of our partners in Rotary.

Please encourage all to come and bring their partners.  I promise an interesting program and Marilyn will assist with a presentation to your partners. It will not be a dull D.G visit but hopefully inspiring and uplifting as we talk about Peace, Youth Programs and Business in Rotary.

I look forward to “breaking the mould” and bringing new life to Rotary D9700 at Coolamon on Monday August  17th.

D9700 E Directory

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

AUSTRALIAN STUDENTS TAKE OPPORTUNITY BY THE HORNS

The rules of the Shaftesbury Rodeo Academy are simple: no school, no rodeo. It’s a message that teenagers who attend school at Bisley Farm, most of whom have never attended any school regularly, take seriously. Because come Friday night, these aspiring rodeo heroes want to join their friends to ride bulls for a heart-stopping eight seconds, if they last that long.

The school in rural Queensland, Australia, also teaches the boys, who are of the Wakka Wakka Aboriginal people, basic academics and farming skills, including how to care for crops and livestock. It’s a fairly common form of schooling in Australia, an alternative education for students with troubled backgrounds. For many of them, Bisley Farm is the best chance for them to improve their lives.

FULL STORY HERE

RICON 2016 SEOUL.

Seoul 2016

The 2016 Rotary Convention is your chance to meet Rotary members from around the globe. You’ll reconnect with old friends and make new ones while exploring different cultures and exchanging ideas for a better world.

Whether you’ve just joined Rotary or are a longtime club member, our annual convention will deepen your understanding and appreciation of Rotary. You’ll make personal connections on a global scale, discover new ideas for making positive change, and return to your club inspired and energized to take action. All this and the chance to explore Korea’s capital, Seoul.

The Seoul convention will be a unique experience highlighted by once-in-a-lifetime activities arranged by the Host Organization Committee:

RICON 2016

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

This bouncing bundle of energy is the calf of poaching survivor Thandi.

Read more about Thandi’s story.

Rhino are known to be able to reach speeds of 48 – 64 km per hour (30 – 40 miles per hour), something that our young Thembi is working very hard to achieve! A rhino calf will more than likely never meet its father but rhino mothers have a very nurturing nature. Thandi will be close to her calf Thembi for the next 2.5 years to keep an eye on her and protect her.

Did you meet Thandi and Thembi while on safari at Kariega? We would love to hear about your encounters with this inspiring pair.

Thembi playing with the wildebeests.
905 Thandi

Thembi and her mum Thandi taken by JJG May 2015 at Kariega.

Russell

Next to Say NO!

JOIN RAGES HERE.

RAGES WEB SITE

ONLY IN AFRICA

scardy cats

King of the jungle??

FOOTNOTE

Shark

Shark Sprongbok

Don’t  forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #02

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #02

Be a Gift to the World

NYRotary

Yes we have New Rotary Year Resolutions!

MEETING MONDAY JULY 13th. 2015

Group 1
Last night we had a general meeting followed by a board meeting.  15 members attended a good roll up especially as it was a very cold night.  Myffy Collette gave a 3 minute presentation on her life which was most enjoyable.
Myffy was born in Yorkshire and went to a boarding school.  At 19 Myffy was working as a beauty consultant for Elizabeth Arden where she met an Australian girl and decided to migrate to Australia.  5 weeks on a boat and Myffy arrived in Sydney.  Myffy eventually met and married Dr Brian Clarke and they went for the country lifestyle starting in the Blue Mountains.
Myffy and Brian eventually settled in Ganmain and are a wonderful asset to our community.  President Wayne presented Myffy with a bouquet of flowers.
Myffy
Some reminders:
1.  DG Gary Roberts visit is on Monday August 17th.
2.  New Bingo roster out shortly.
3.  Get your working with children certificates.

RAGES Makes News.

Last week Rotary International published a story on the formation of RAGES the Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species:

New action group unites leaders to protect endangered species

Jane Goodall joins the Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species’ “Say No!” campaign to promote animal conservation. Photo courtesy of RAGES

By Philip Merritt, vice chair of the Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species and a member of the Rotary Club of Mabalacat Clark, Pampanga, Philippines

About three years ago, Rotary member John Glassford sent a message to the Rotarians on the Internet (ROTI) Fellowship’s discussion list asking if anyone had any ideas on how we could help stop the poaching of elephants. I responded: “Why don’t we start a Rotarian Action Group (RAG)?”, and from that point forward, it was a long journey to finally get the Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species (RAGES) recognized by the RI Board in January.

Diary Reminders

Monday July 20th Jane Quinn from CSU “Pasture Innovations”

Friday July 17th -25th Up2Date Art Exhibition Opening Night Details Follow.

Postcard Postcard2

*Monday July 27th.  Guest Speaker Steven Grinter Coolamon on INDIA Hands on Volunteering.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

No worries

Poker

Six Irish men were playing poker when one of them played a bad hand and died.

The rest drew straws to see who would tell his wife. One man draws the shortest straw and goes to his friend’s house to tell the wife.

The man says to her, “Your husband lost some money in the poker game and is afraid to come home.”

The wife says, “Tell him to drop dead!”

The man responds, “I’ll go tell him.”

Greece

A couple from Henk Hulsman most of them cannot be published here, thanks Henk.

Angela Merkel arrives at Passport Control in Athens airport.
“Nationality?” asks the immigration officer.
“German,” she replies.
“Occupation?
“No, just here for a few days.”

I saw my mate Charlie this morning, he’s only got one arm bless him.
I shouted – Where you off to Charlie?
He said, I’m off to change a light bulb.
Well I just cracked up, couldn’t stop laughing, then said,
– That’s gonna be a bit awkward isn’t it.
– Not really. he said. I still have the receipt, you insensitive bastard.

K.R. “RAVI” RAVINDRAN

Ravi 03

RI President Ravi works outside the family cottage in the Kelburne Mountains in Sri Lanka.

K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran is CEO and founder of Printcare PLC, a publicly listed printing, packaging, and digital media solutions company. It is arguably the world’s largest supplier of tea bag packaging, catering to nearly every major tea brand, with manufacturing facilities in Sri Lanka and India. Printcare is the winner of national and international awards of excellence. Ravindran has been a featured speaker at several international print and packaging forums.

PRESIDENTIAL CITATION FOR ROTARY CLUBS

You can help strengthen your club and Rotary’s reputation for doing good by taking part in the Presidential Citation program. All activities must be completed and verified in Rotary’s database by 1 April 2016.

MANDATORY ACTIVITIES

MORE INFORMATION AND DOWNLOADS HERE.

GR 01
 Aunty Flo

WIRADJURI elder Aunty Flo Grant has been named a Rotary Inspirational Woman of the Year.

The Wagga woman was presented with her award at a recent changeover dinner for Rotary District 9700.

Aunty Flo said she felt absolutely amazed to receive the recognition.  “I can’t believe you get such a wonderful award for doing what you like doing,” she said.

A submission prepared by the Kooringal Rotary Club said Aunty Flo’s innovative contributions and demonstrated leadership among her people and in the general community have established her as a significant and powerful role model. The submission said Aunty Flo had contributed significantly to an understanding of Australian history from an Aboriginal perspective.

Rotaract Griffith

Griffith Rotaract Club Charter Night.
Thanks to everyone that attended and supported our Charter Night Maternity Ward Fundraiser, it was a great night and with everyone’s generosity we managed to raise over 2000 dollars for the Griffith Base Maternity Ward. Well done to all, Watch this space!

D9700 E Directory

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

Isabeli Fontana

Happy Birthday to our Polio Ambassador Isabeli Fontana! Thank you for your support of Rotary and our fight to end polio. Find out more about her work with Rotary: Isabeli Fontana

RICON 2016 SEOUL.

Seoul 2016

RICON 2016

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

WHEN GIANTS FALL A TRAILER

Africa Elephant Census

The Great Elephant Census is halfway through and there is good news

Beginning in February 2014, the project is an independent, 2 year survey that deploys research planes over Africa to get up-to-date data on the latest elephant figures. This data will equip governments and scientists with a better sense of poaching trends. Four nations—Botswana, Gabon, Namibia, and Uganda—have actually seen increases in their elephant populations.

Read more: http://bit.ly/1IEHapL

JOIN RAGES HERE.

RAGES WEB SITE

ONLY IN AFRICA

Cow

Close

He came this close taken in Sibuya Reserve near Port Elizabeth (JJG Photographer).

FOOTNOTE

10419468_10155874063845393_183607021837287470_n

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #01

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #01

Be a Gift to the World

Here are some photos from the RI Presidents change over in Evanston:

RI CO 1

At the changeover ceremony, Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang thanked Rotary headquarters staff for their hard work during his year as president.

RI CO 4

RI President Huang, along with guest speaker and Past RI President MAT Caparas and RI President-elect K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran.

RI CO 5

RI President “Ravi” Ravindran and his wife Vanathy (far left), Past RI President MAT Caparas, Immediate Past RI President Gary Huang and his wife Corinna, and RI President-nominee John Germ and his wife Judy (2nd from right).

Photo by Monika Lozinska.

Coolamon Rotary 2015-2016:

The new board:

President: Wayne Lewis 6927 3501
President Elect:  Don Dyce 6929 1215
Secretary: Paul Weston  6927 2972
Treasurer: Henk Hulsman 6927 3486
Rotary Foundation Director: John Glassford 6926 6027
Club Admin Director: Dick Jennings  6927 3074
Service Projects Director: Don Dyce 6929 1215
Youth Services Director:  Ian Durham 6927 3900
Vocational Services Director: Dave McInley 6927 8553
Membership Director: Leslie Weston 6927 2972
Public Relations Director: Myffy Collette 6927 6313
Immediate Past President: Garth Perkin 6927 3377
Sergent @ Arms: Ted Hutcheon 6927 3349
Bulletin Editor and Web Master: John Glassford 6927 6027

MEETING MONDAY JULY 6th. 2015

Tonight we kicked off the new Rotary year with our guest speaker John Franklin from Coolamon speaking on the 25 years he worked in the Northern territory.
We had 14 members present to welcome President Wayne Lewis into the hot seat.  We also had 5 guests including Marilyn Jennings, Helen Lewis, Maureen Franklin and Christine Lorraine along with our guest speaker John Franklin.
President Wayne outlined some upcoming events and other items of interest including:
1.  That there will be a 3 minute talk based on alphabetical order each week form one of our members on their life!  Next Monday it will be Myffy Collette.
2.   We need to keep a record of our community hours, local, national and international.
3.  Wayne  passed around a list of Rotary Fellowships.
4.  We also discussed getting accredited to work with children.
5.  Myffy reported on the Coolamon Networking Meeting organised by Bronwyn Hatty.
6.  Thanks to Ted Hutcheon and Bernadette Milne for donating the prizes for the raffles at our change over night which raised $303.
6.  A request for all members to support the late Christine Atkinson’s container for Africa.
Dick Jennings put out a call for the following items to go to Bathurst to fill a container for our recently departed Christine Atkinson.  Unknown to us Christine was supporting an orphanage in Kenya before her untimely death.  Please bring items to next Monday night’s meeting as we need to fill a trailer.
“exercise books, mathematics books, reading books, textas, stickers, maps, posters, scissors, rulers, shoe laces, paintbrushes, paint, play dough, any craft bead items, marbles, matchbox cars, puzzles, cards, games, balls, hand washers, material, cottons, wool, knitting needles, elastic, buttons, ribbons, CD’s, dress up clothes, skipping ropes, black shoe polish, The schools colours are navy, brown and maroon and school uniform items, (red polo shirts, navy shorts, navy trousers, brown slacks and black shoes).
 John Franklin 1
John Franklin Guest Speaker
John gave an excellent narrative of his time in the Northern Territory as a Pastoral Officer.  Tonight John concentrated on Aboriginal Culture in the Northern Territory.  The Aboriginal community of the NT comprise 25% of the population of which 50% are gainfully employed.  25% are stay at home with home schooling for the children. 25% of the population are on welfare.  Herein lies the major problem facing them with the major drug of choice being alcohol.
John went on to describe many different problems facing the community due to alcohol and the reliance on welfare.  John was also very passionate about these people and feels that if left alone to make their own decisions on what is needed for their people and culture things would be far better off.  It was at times a controversial talk but most enlightening and thought provoking.
John Franklin 2
PP Garth Perkin presents John Franklin with a coolamon.
Helen Lewis and John Glassford won the raffles.  S@A Ted Hutcheon had a good time with the fines session.

Diary Reminders

Thursday July 9th BINGO: Roster Paul Weston Capt., Steve Exton, Rod Jarrett and Leslie Weston. 

Monday July 13th Fellowship Meeting followed by a Board Meeting.

Friday July 18th Up2Date Art Exhibition Opening Night Details Follow.

Postcard Postcard2

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Art Parking Ticket

Parking Ticket? Answer below!

7 Days in Australia

In the beginning God created day and night. He created day for footy matches, going to the beach and barbies. He created night for going prawning, sleeping and barbies. God saw that it was good.

Evening came and morning came and it was the second Day.

On the Second Day God created water – for surfing, swimming and barbies on the beach. God saw that it was good. Evening came and morning came and it was the Third Day.

On the Third Day God created the Earth to bring forth plants – to provide tobacco, malt and yeast for beer and wood for barbies. God saw that it was good. Evening came and morning came and it was the Fourth Day

On the Fourth Day God created animals and crustaceans for chops, sausages, steak and prawns for barbies. God saw that it was good. Evening came and morning came and it was the Fifth Day.

On the Fifth day God created a bloke – to go to the footy, enjoy the beach, drink the beer and eat the meat and prawns at barbies. God saw that it was good. Evening came and morning came and it was the Sixth Day.

On the Sixth Day God saw that this bloke was lonely and needed someone to go to the footy, surf, drink beer, eat and stand around the barbie with. So God created Mates, and God saw that they were good blokes. God saw that it was good. Evening came and morning came and it was the Seventh Day.

On the Seventh Day God looked around at the twinkling barbie fires, heard the hiss of opening beer cans and the raucous laughter of all the Blokes, smelled the aroma of grilled chops and sizzling prawns and God saw that it was good. well almost good. God saw that the blokes were tired and needed a rest.

So God created Sheilas – to clean the house, bear children, wash, cook and clean the barbie. God saw that it was not just good, it was better than that, it was bloody great! IT WAS AUSTRALIA

5 Rules

ONE FOR THE LADIES

A fairy tale for the assertive woman of the 21st century

Once upon a time, in a land far away, a beautiful, independent, self-assured princess happened upon a frog as she sat, contemplating ecological issues on the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle.

The frog hopped into the princess’ lap and said, “Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince, until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however, and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that I am and then, my sweet, we can marry and set up housekeeping in your castle with my mother, where you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children, and forever feel grateful and happy doing so.”

That night, as the princess dined sumptuously on a repast of lightly sautééd frog legs seasoned in a white wine and onion cream sauce, she chuckled and thought to herself:

“I don’t think so.”

Art Parking Ticket 2

An overzealous traffic cop in Karlsruhe, Germany, is living up to his profession’s reputation for being merciless by slapping a ticket on a Mercedes-Benz truck.

But this is not just any Mercedes-Benz truck, it’s an art installation.

K.R. “RAVI” RAVINDRAN

Ravi 02

The family of 2015-16 RI President K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran at his home in Colombo, Sri Lanka 10 January 2015. From left, his son Krishna Ravindran, Krishna’s wife Neesha, his wife Vanathy, President K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran, his daughter Prashanthi Ravindran and her husband Nicolas Mathier.

JULY 2015

We in Rotary aspire to great deeds. We admire those who gave great gifts to humanity: Abraham Lincoln, who gave the gift of human dignity to the downtrodden; Mother Teresa, who gave the gift of compassion to the forgotten; Mahatma Gandhi, who gave the gift of peaceful change to the oppressed. Their very lives became gifts to the world.

We can be inspired by their example. We can be inspired to ask, how can I, in the life that I live – without neglecting the responsibilities that are so dear to me – how can I, too, become a gift to the world? As I considered my theme, I thought of the lessons I have learned through my Hindu faith. I thought especially of the story of Sudama.

Sudama was a poor child and a bosom friend of Krishna, who was born in a royal lineage as an avatar – an incarnation of the divine. As the two boys grow up, they drift apart, and while Krishna becomes a military leader and king of great repute, Sudama remains a humble villager.

FULL STORY HERE.

GR 01
 New-DG430
 2015-16 District Governor Gary Roberts congratulates Immediate Past District Governor David Kennedy at the District Changeover Dinner on Saturday evening June 27th. 
 DG Gary 01
 DG Gary and Marilyn Roberts and family.

ROTARY INFORMATION

Seoul 2016

RICON 2016

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

RAGES have also changed over to the new Rotary year with a new board of directors for 2015-2016.

EXECUTIVE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

CHAIR 2014-2016 PP John Glassford  RC of Coolamon.  District 9700 AUSTRALIA

VICE-CHAIR  PP Philip Merritt  RC Mabalacat Clark.  District 3790 THE PHILIPPINES

Rtn. Jo Wilmot                           RC of Kenton-on-Sea.  District  9370 SOUTH AFRICA

PDG Barbara Shayeb-Helou    RC of Pleasantberg.  District 7750 USA

PDG Fred Loneragan               RC of Wagga Wagga Sunrise District 9700 AUSTRALIA

PRIVP Anne Mathews              RC Columbia East. District 7770 U.S.A.

IPDG Bimal Kantaria                   RC Nairobi Industrial Area. District 9212 KENYA

President Elect RIBI PDG Eve Conway RC Redbridge District 1130 ENGLAND

Our latest board member is RIBI President Elect 2016-2017.  RIBI Rotary International Britain and Ireland, seen signing the Say No poster below:

eve conway (2)

RAGES WEB SITE

ONLY IN AFRICA

Funeral

FOOTNOTE

STOP PRESS

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd signs the RAGES SAY NO! Poster:

Dave Gilmour Pink Floyd

pink floyd the dark side of the moon 1680x1050 wallpaper_www.wallpaperhi.com_74

Websites of Interest