Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #29

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #29

Be a Gift to the World

Peace 02

FEBRUARY IS ROTARY’S

Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution Month

banner-04

The University of Queensland is proud to partner with The Rotary Foundation to provide a tailored Masters Degree, aimed at potential world and community leaders, designed to have a practical effect on addressing international and regional conflicts.

banner-2

MEETING MONDAY FEBRUARY 22nd. 2016

Last night we celebrated two birthdays that of Rotary and that of our Secretary and PP Dr. Paul Weston.

111 05 - Copy

111 09

We had a great night with three guests Helen Lewis, Chez Post and Susan Glassford.  As well we had our Group 5 Assistant Governor Bryan Short from the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga visit us.  16 members attended to celebrate Rotary and Paul’s birthday.

111 04 - Copy111 03 - Copy

The very lovely birthday cake made by Marie Jennings, many thanks Marie it was very much appreciated by all.

President Wayne Lewis welcomed all and some reminders:

• Saturday street raffle roster.
  • Friendship exchange billets April 25th-27th.  Don Dyce coordinating.
  • Easter markets committee meeting 25th Feb at the Sports Club 7.30 pm.
  • March 3rd The Lady in the Van movie night meet at the Thirsty Crow from 6.00 pm movie starts at 7.00 pm.
  • Next Monday Vocational Visit with Wagga Wagga Sunrise meet in Cave Street Ganmain at 6.30 pm sharp.

There was a short slide show on the history of the birth of the Rotary Club of Chicago and Rotary International.

The first four Rotarians:

The first four Rotarians: Gustavus Loehr, Silvester Schiele, Hiram Shorey, and Paul P. Harris, circa 1905-1912.

Gustavus Loehr, Silvester Schiele, Hiram Shorey, and Paul P. Harris.

The first Rotary meeting took place on 23 February 1905 Harris, Gustavus Loehr, Silvester Schiele, and Hiram Shorey gathered at Loehr’s office in Room 711 of the Unity Building in downtown Chicago.

As of October 2015 Rotary has grown and now boasts:

ROTARY Members  1,228,076   ROTARY Clubs  35,221

ROTARACT Members      194,028  ROTARACT Clubs    8,436

INTERACT Members     429,203  INTERACT Clubs  18,661

PAUL HARRIS FELLOWS   >1,200,000

Women in Rotary:

Until 1989, the Constitution and Bylaws of Rotary International stated that Rotary club membership was for males only. In 1978 the Rotary Club of Duarte, California, invited three women to become members. The RI board withdrew the charter of that club for violation of the RI Constitution. The club brought suit against RI claiming a violation of a state civil rights law which prevents discrimination of any form in business establishments or public accommodations.

polio2

1 July 2008, Catherine Noyer-Riveau, of Paris, France, Zone 11, elected to serve as the first woman on the Rotary International board.

Women in Rotary

Women in Rotary Web Site.

PRIVP (Past Rotary International Vice President) Anne L. Matthews the first woman elected as a VP for Rotary.  Anne is also a RAGES Board member.  We look forward to the first woman becoming world President of Rotary.

Diary Reminders

Saturday 27th February Street Raffle from 6.30 am – 11.00 am.

6.30-8.00 Daryl Breust and Ted Hutcheon

8.00-9.30 Garth Perkin and Wayne Lewis

9.30-11.00 Myffy Collette and Paul Weston

*Monday 29th February Joint Vocational Service Meeting with WW Sunrise in Ganmain at Huff ‘n’ Puff Constructions.  START 6.30 pm in Cave Street Ganmain.

*Thursday March 3rd Polio Plus Film Night in Wagga Wagga. “The Lady in the Van”. Meet at The Thirsty Crow at 6.00 pm movie starts at 7.00 pm.

Wednesday 8th March Board Meeting.

BINGO: Thursday March 10th Grahame Miles (Capt) Dave McKinley, Myffy Collette, Bernadette Milne.

Sunday April 10th District Assembly Club Directors Training at Grenfell High School 9.00 am start.

Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th April 2016 D9700 Conference in Wagga Wagga.

*Saturday May 14th International Night at the Ganmain Hall in aid of RAGES Inc.

Saturday 28th May 2016 – Wednesday June 1st Seoul RICON South Korea  Seoul 2016

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Bagpipes in hell

Joke 6

Woamn and tractor

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT

K.R. RAVINDRAN “RAVI”

2015-16 RI President K.R. "Ravi" Ravindran

I would personally like to invite you all to join me in Rome, Italy on 30 April as we celebrate the Jubilee of Rotarians, a special event hosted by Rotary District 2080 and the Vatican. His Holiness Pope Francis will celebrate a Jubilee mass at St. Peter’s Square, where we will have 8,000 seats reserved for Rotarians, as well as friends and family.

For more information and to register by the 15 March deadline:  http://buff.ly/1ovjNIG

https://www.facebook.com/RotaryPresident/videos/1116121235086569/

Pope Jubilee RI

DISTRICT GOVERNOR GARY ROBERTS D 9700

GR 01

Peace Felllow

Muyatwa Sitali (Duke-UNC 2012-14) has teamed up with Rotarians to provide basic resources to communities recovering from violence.

Read more about Sitali’s work providing clean water: http://on.rotary.org/peacesitali

Creating Sustainable Peace.

Knowledge can open doors for these Akha hill tribe children piling onto a truck returning to the Akha Training Centre in Mae Suai, Thailand after attending a local Thai school. In 2005 the center housed 300 children from 27 Akha villages and is located in northern Thailand's area known as the "Golden Triangle" where drug trafficking and civil unrest along the Laos and Myanmar (Burma) border caused many various hill tribes to flee into Thailand. These insular villages of subsistence farm families then became a source, especially, for young girls to be sold into Thailand's commercial sex industry. Among other things, the center teaches Akha children English and Thai languages which allows them to then be educated at Thai schools making them less vulnerable and more adept in Thai society. Rotarians from Australia, Singapore, Thailand, USA and Canada have volunteered and/or provided donations to the Akha Training Centre. Appeared in "The Rotarian," June 2006, p. 12-13.

Building sustainable peace projects requires holistic thinking and a community-driven approach.  Rotarians are uniquely positioned to foster healthy, resilient and more peaceful communities.

Violent conflict can devastate a country’s society, economy and political governance. Coordinating projects that prevent or resolve conflict requires a tailored, sensitive approach. Rotarians can play a vital role in the peace building process by galvanizing members of their communities to identify and address the underlying causes of conflict. While the types of projects Rotarians develop vary greatly, the following examples may help your club or district identify action-oriented approaches to building and sustaining peace:

FULL STORY HERE

9700 DISCON

This year the RIPR is PRIP Kaylan Banaerjee.

Kalyan
Also a wonderful bonus is that PRIP Bill Boyd will be a key note speaker on WASRAG as Chair of the Water and Sanitation RAG.
16 RICON

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

WHAT IT’S LIKE TO GO TO JAIL FOR YOUR BELIEFS … AND FORGIVE YOUR CAPTORS

Peace x the-rotarian-what-its-like

Illustration by Gwen Keraval

Naing Ko Ko

Rotary Peace Fellow

University of Queensland, Australia, 2012-13

In 1988, when I was 16, I began to protest with other students for democracy, human rights, and social justice in my home country of Burma, now called Myanmar. Four years later, I was arrested and tortured for two months in an interrogation camp. I was shackled and beaten. I was not allowed to sleep. They put a cloth over my eyes and a hood over my head, so I could not tell the day from the night. They asked me the same questions over and over. It was quite similar to George Orwell’s 1984. After this, I was sent to a special court. I was given no lawyer, just sent directly to prison.

They did not want us to learn in prison, but I had a dream to go and study overseas when I was released. I convinced a guard to smuggle books to me. I received a dictionary to learn English and books on economics and philosophy. I dug a hole in the wall of my cell and hid the books and covered the hole with an image of the Buddha. I studied English at night and in the day I slept.

FULL STORY HERE

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

elephants

Please click on the link below and me know if you are unable to view the video.

Elephant Family Pays their Respects by Sir David Attenborough  

This is simply amazing and tells us that he elephants have a developed brain and family structure way ahead of us humans. 

RAG-EndangeredSpecies_Standard logo (1)

Dr. Dame Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots 25th Birthday.

RAGES is celebrating the 25th anniversary of one of the best education and wildlife conservation programmes established by Jane Goodall.  We are honouring Jane with the Say No poster second edition:
First to sign is Sir Peter Blake:
Sir Peter Blake
What an honour to have Sir Peter Blake open up our new Say No poster in celebration of Dr. Jane Goodall’s 25th anniversary of Roots & Shoots.
Sir Peter Thomas Blake, CBE, RDI, RA is an English pop artist, best known for co-creating the sleeve design for the Beatles’ album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Sgt_Peppers_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band

During the late 1950s, Blake became one of the best known British pop artists. His paintings from this time included imagery from advertisements, music hall entertainment, and wrestlers, often including collaged elements. Blake was included in group exhibitions at the Institute of Contemporary Arts and had his first solo exhibition in 1960.

In the ‘Young Contemporaries’ exhibition of 1961 in which he exhibited alongside David Hockney and R.B. Kitaj, he was first identified with the emerging British Pop Art movement. Blake won the (1961) John Moores junior award for Self Portrait with Badges. He came to wider public attention when, along with Pauline Boty, Derek Boshier and Peter Phillips, he featured in Ken Russell’s Monitor film on pop art, Pop Goes the Easel, broadcast on BBC television in 1962.

From 1963 Blake was represented by Robert Fraser placing him at the centre of swinging London and brought him into contact with leading figures of popular culture.

RAGES WEB SITE       JOIN RAGES HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA

Africa Hotel

A 5 Star Hotel on the Ivory Coast.

FOOTNOTE

RI WORLD AUSTRALIAN PRESIDENTS;

AngusMitchellPicture

1948-1949 Sir Angus Mitchell  RC of Melbourne

clem renouf

1978-1979 Sir Clem Renouf  RC of Nambour

Royce-Abbey-Rotarian-July-1988

1988-1989 Royce Abbey  RC of Essendon

kinross1997

1997-1998 Glen  Kinross  RC of Brisbane

2017-18_RI_President_Ian-Riseley_3

2017-2018 Ian Riseley  RC of Sandringham

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Yours in Rotary 

John Glassford Chair 2014 -2016

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species
Don’t  forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran

Governor of District 9700 Gary Roberts

Coolamon Club President  Wayne Lewis

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Street Raffle Saturday February 27th.

Coolamon Treats Treasures

Coolamon Street Raffle Saturday 27th February:

The following have volunteered to man the street raffle in Coolamon on Saturday 27th February:

6.30 am – 8.00 am Ted Hutcheon and Daryl Breust

8.00 am – 9.30 am Steve Exton and Heather McKinley

9.30 am – 11.00 am Myffy Collette, Wayne Lewis and Paul Weston

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #28

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #28

Be a Gift to the World

Peace 02

FEBRUARY IS ROTARY’S

Peace 2

SOCCER BALLS FOR PEACE

Soccer Hollywood

Mac Miller and President Valerie Lord RC of Hollywood

Mac Miller, an Aussie, was a presenter at the recent Rotary World Peace Conference in California on January 15-16th.  mac also presents at Rotary clubs and has done a TEDx talk, amazing for a 10 year old soccer player!

“I’ve had a great time at the Rotary Club of Hollywood today. Thanks for making me feel so welcome. The club donated US$200 for soccer balls (this is AUS $300).”

At the age of 9 Mac was inspired to send soccer balls to kids in need around the world.  In the past three years Mac has built a website; raised funds; arranged for the Australian soldiers to take soccer balls to Afghanistan; met the Governor of Queensland; won a United Nations Association of Australia award; delivered soccer balls to the children of refugees in Australian refugee immigration detention centres, as well as over 4000 soccer balls to kids in 22 countries including Cambodia, Uganda, the Solomon Islands, Nepal, Tibet and the Maldives.

Mac has also written a book called ‘Football – Play It Forward.  A 10 Year Old’s Goal of Peace Through Soccer Balls’, which is already an Amazon #1 Best Seller.

Mac is a leader in the making. He spends his free time writing letters asking for support and speaking at events such as Rotary to raise money and awareness of the plight of children who have not had the same opportunities as him to play sport.

Last year Mac completed speaking tours of India and China.   As a guest of the Rotary, Mac has spoken to 33 schools and over 11,000 students about why he thinks soccer balls can be an instrument for peace.  He was invited back to Shanghai to complete a TEDx Talk.

Just recently Mac has been awarded a Paul Harris Fellow by a local Rotary Club in his home town of Brisbane.

Mac, now aged 12, is a talented soccer player who one day wants to play for the Australian Socceroos and Manchester United.

This is a great peace project to get behind.  A PHF at the age of 9.  Mac has been on National TV on The Project and the Today Show.

MEETING MONDAY FEBRUARY 15th. 2016

valentine 3

Trust that you all had a great Valentine’s Day last Sunday.

Last night was a Club Assembly for February.  19 members present another great turn out.  It was a lively meeting with many subjects under discussion:

• Henk advised all members that the half yearly funds are now due.
  • Ian Durham has two candidates for RYLA both are of a high quality and both are to be supported.
  • Reminder to pay Wayne asap for the Polio Plus movie night on March 3rd.
  • Neil reported on a  quiet bingo night with a small profit.
  • Myffy spoke on teh proposed Coolamon Shire monthly newspaper.  This was well received and a major project to be undertaken by our club, all systems go and it is looking good, very good.
  • Reminders for the D9700 Assembly and Club Directors training to be held at the Grenfell High School on Sunday April 10th starting at 9.00 am.  It is highly recommended that all of our incoming directors attend.
  • New street raffle set for Sunday 27th February starting at 6.30 am.  The roster will be sent round to all members.
  • Book now for the D 9700 Conference, always a great event to learn about Rotary.  The costs are very reasonable and being in Wagga this year easy to get to.
  • Change over night 2016 dates to consider are Monday 27th June or Monday 4th July.
  • Huff ‘n’  Puff Vocational visit with Wagga Wagga Sunrise so far 28 members and guests are booked in.  Sunrise will have their numbers this week.  Meet at 6.30 pm in Cave Street at the big white straw bale building.  Tour of all 14 straw bale buildings then dinner in the Ganmain Hall followed by a presentation on straw bale buildings and fellowship.  BYO.
  • RAGES news included the Borneo challenge for the orangutans.

All in all  a great night of club business  and fellowship.

Our best wishes to Leslie as Leslie recovers from her recent operation.

Next Monday night we will have a birthday party for Rotary 111 years old.  It will also be Paul’s birthday.  Not Paul Harris, Paul Weston.

Diary Reminders

*Monday 22nd February.  Celebrate the 23rd February ROTARY’S 111th BIRTHDAY

111 2

Saturday 27th February Street Raffle from 6.30 am – 11.00 am.

*Monday 29th February Joint Vocational Service Meeting with WW Sunrise in Ganmain at Huff ‘n’ Puff Constructions.

*Thursday March 3rd Polio Plus Film Night in Wagga Wagga. “the Lady in the Van”.

BINGO: Thursday March 10th Grahame Miles (Capt) Dave McKinley, Myffy Collette, Bernadette Milne.

Sunday April 10th District Assembly Club Directors Training at Grenfell High School 9.00 am start.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Fireworks

Engineer Accidentally Gets Sent To Hell By Mistake…

An engineer dies and reports to the pearly gates. St. Peter checks his dossier and says, “Ah, you’re an engineer — you’re in the wrong place.”

So, the engineer reports to the gates of hell and is let in. Pretty soon, the engineer gets dissatisfied with the level of comfort in hell, and starts designing and building improvements. After awhile, they’ve got air conditioning and flush toilets and escalators, and the engineer is a pretty popular guy.

One day, God calls Satan up on the telephone and says with a sneer, “So, how’s it going down there in hell?”

Satan replies, “Hey, things are going great. We’ve got air conditioning and flush toilets and escalators, and there’s no telling what this engineer is going to come up with next.”

God replies, “What??? You’ve got an engineer? That’s a mistake — he should never have gotten down there; send him up here.”

Satan says, “No way. I like having an engineer on the staff, and I’m keeping him.”

God says, “Send him back up here or I’ll sue.”

Satan laughs uproariously and answers, “Yeah, right. And just where are YOU going to get a lawyer?”

Lego

K.R. RAVINDRAN “RAVI”

Las Vagas 86

One of my favorite Rotary convention memories was my first convention in Las Vegas in 1986. I was amazed by the opening ceremony. Share your favorite convention memory and join our gallery:

http://on.rotary.org/RotaryGallery

I entered this photo from Chicago RICON 2005 where I put our Coolamon club banner in the time capsule together with a history of our club and the members at the time.

Chicago Time

Join me in Seoul:

Seoul

GR 01

50th Birthday

This large cake-shaped display commemorated Rotary’s 50th anniversary at the 1955 convention. Rotary’s 111th anniversary is 23 February 2016. Learn more about Rotary’s past and explore history resources at:
 If you know anyone 18-28 years old who would be interested in attending the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards in April please contact anyone in the Club or the Chair, John Willing on 0418 223007 or [email protected].

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

COUNCIL ON LEGISLATION 2016

COL

I have a copy if you need one of the Legislation to be considered by the 2016 Council on Legislation

Every three years, members from Rotary districts across the globe gather in Chicago to review and vote on proposed legislation. The Council on Legislation is an essential part of Rotary’s governance. Learn more about the and review , as well as .

The Council will start with a training and opening session on Sunday, 10 April, at 15:00. After that, sessions will begin daily at 09:00 and end at 17:30. Check the schedule in the registration book for details.

the Council on Legislation

The 2016 Council on Legislation is drawing near. In anticipation of this event, this book containing all legislation to be proposed at the Council has been prepared for your review. The Constitution of Rotary International provides that the Council on Legislation meet every three years at a site determined by the RI Board of Directors. In 2016, the Council on Legislation is scheduled to meet from 10-15 April in Chicago, Illinois, USA.

D9700 will be represented by PDG Irene Jones.  2009-2010.

DG Irene Jones Visit

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

Black Mamba LogoBush Babies

Black Mambas

The Black Mambas Say NO!

RAGES is looking to endorse the Black mambas and their community outreach programme “The Bush babies Programme”

The Lesser bushbaby (Galago moholi) symbolises and defines the external environmental education awareness program, where learners are regarded as babies learning about the bush or environment.

The Bushbabies Program is interlinked into the curriculum of local schools which builds on the children’s interests and should explore the subject matter in a multi-disciplinary manner; therefore we should enhance a child’s skills and build on their present ideas about conservation through a program that provides for a multitude of opportunities for the child’s growth and development.

The objectives of this program are to bring knowledge to life, raise awareness of their surrounding environment, give a better understanding of conservation, lead to sustainable use of resources and install environmental problem-solving skills and ultimately installing an ethical ethos in our future generations.

The Bush Babies Environmental Education Program is an environmental awareness program that is conducted at primary schools in the communities surrounding Greater Kruger National Park.

Details here:

RAGES Proposal Black Mambas

Black Mambas 03
Black Mambas 01 Black Mambas 02  Black Mambas 04

RAGES WEB SITE

JOIN RAGES HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA  AUSTRALIA

Baby snake spider

Griffith daddy long legs kills baby brown snake!

Hanging on a Weethalle farm near West Wyalong “like a trophy”, a brown snake appears to have met its fate after slithering into enemy territory.

But this wasn’t any typical bush predator.

According to farmer Patrick Lees, the snake was killed by a garden variety daddy longlegs – the fangless, venomless “underdog” of the spider world.

“It’s typical Australia,” Mr Lees said.

“I saw it from a distance and thought ‘someone is going to be a hero here’. There’s a few redbacks around, but I wasn’t expecting it to be a daddy longlegs.”

Mr Lees said the snake has been hanging in the same position since Saturday.

“I can’t take down his trophy; he’s earned it,” he said.

FOOTNOTE

Trump at Rotary New Hampshire

Following our meeting where Paul and Leslie Weston gave us a wonderful insight into the USA Presidential election here is a photo of Donald Trump speaking at a New Hampshire Rotary club recently.

Yours in Rotary 

Don’t  forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #27

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #27

Be a Gift to the World

Gong Xi Fa Cai

2016 The Year of The Monkey: Gong Xi Fa Cai

Peace 02

FEBRUARY IS ROTARY’S

Peace RI

Above:  Actress and humanitarian Sharon Stone gives the peace sign after speaking at the Rotary World Peace Conference on 15 January in Ontario, California, USA.

On 2 December, a terrorist attack killed 14 people and wounded more than 20 others in San Bernardino, California.

Less than two months later, an event nearby focused on peace: the Rotary World Peace Conference. The two-day meeting on 15-16 January brought together experts from around the world to explore ideas and solutions to violence and conflict.

The conference was the first of five planned for this year.

San Bernardino County official Janice Rutherford, a member of the Rotary Club of Fontana, California, told attendees at the opening general session that the conference couldn’t be timelier.

“Now more than ever, we need to come together and create peace and reduce human suffering,” said Rutherford, who declared 15 January 2016 Rotary World Peace Day and a Day of Peace for San Bernardino County. “We appreciate your commitment to exploring these options and taking them back to your community and the rest of the world.”

MEETING MONDAY FEBRUARY 8th. 2016

USA Flag 1

Tonight we had the pleasure of having our own members Leslie and Paul Weston, give a very informative and enjoyable presentation on how the USA Presidential election works.

19 members attended an excellent turn out and we had one Guest Marilyn Jennings.

President Wayne Lewis welcomed all and raised an invitation to our club to be hosts for the District 5610 Friendship Exchange .  The 12 members (6 couples) arrive in Wagga on the 25th April straight after the D9700 DISCON.  The committee is looking for 6 hosts for the three nights in Coolamon.   Please let PE Don Dyce if you can host one or more couples for that period, 25th, 26th and 27th April.

Final Dist 5610 info pages (1)

The return trip to District 5610 will take place in August/Sept. Some of our members maybe interested.

Polio Plus movie night in Wagga Wagga March 3rd The Lady in the Van, we now have 30 names so those going please pay Wayne $20 per person.

Joint Vocational Services visit to Huff n Puff in Ganmain, with Wagga Wagga Sunrise.  Catering by St. Brendan’s School Ganmain with dinner to be served in the Ganmain Hall following the visit to Huff ‘n’ Puff Constructions.  Names to Dave McKinley.

Secretary Paul Weston read out the board’s resolutions from the last Board meeting including a yearly donation to the Coolamon Shire Emergency fund which was well received by the members.  Among other resolutions the Board decided to support the formation of a Coolamon newspaper with Myffy Collette and Bernadette Milne in charge.

Reminder that next week 15th February will be a Club Assembly followed by the meeting on the 22nd February to celebrate Rotary’s 111th Birthday.

Leslie&PaulAdelong

Guest Speakers Leslie and Paul Weston. “The USA Presidential Race.”

We learned so much tonight!

1. Caucus is (in North America and New Zealand) a meeting of the members of a legislative body who are members of a particular political party, to select candidates or decide policy.
  2. Primaries a primary is a state-level election where party members vote to choose a candidate affiliated with their political party. Party candidates selected in a primary then run against each other in a general election. Thirty-four U.S. states conduct primary elections.

There are 50 States in the USA.

Senate and House of Representatives elections too complex to describe here go to:

USA Senate Elections.

USA House of Representatives

USA Electoral College

The Electoral College is a process, not a place. The founding fathers established it in the Constitution as a compromise between election of the President by a vote in Congress and election of the President by a popular vote of qualified citizens.

The Electoral College process consists of the selection of the electors, the meeting of the electors where they vote for President and Vice President, and the counting of the electoral votes by Congress.

The Electoral College consists of 538 electors. A majority of 270 electoral votes is required to elect the President.

The above notes were explained by Paul and Leslie and some of the highlights of the talk were:

The Iowa Caucus and the New Hampshire primaries are an important make or break start to the ultimate goal of electing the President of the USA.  The New Hampshire primaries are held today, Tuesday 9th February.

A PAC is a Political Action Committee and a Super PAC is a group of PACs and they raise funds for their candidate of choice. Technically known as independent expenditure-only committees, super PACs may raise unlimited sums of money from corporations, unions, associations and individuals, then spend unlimited sums to overtly advocate for or against political candidates.

So a complex system which goes on for 18 months before the actual election of the President on Tuesday November 8th 2016.  Voting is not compulsory in the USA.  The Electoral College elects the President who needs 270 electoral votes to become President.  Paul says that it always is on a knife edge and can swing either way as shown by the election of George W. Bush in 2000 when only 567 votes out of 6 million, cast in Florida, decided the outcome and hence the war in Iraq and the subsequent rise of ISIS today.

Many questions asked of Leslie and Paul and Paul was  asked to say who he felt would win his answer:

Senator Ted Cruz.

Sincere thanks to Paul and Leslie for a wonderful insight into the election of the most powerful person in the world.

While all this is going in in the USA they held the Super Bowl where the Denver Broncos became World Champions. One of the highlights was the advertising and here is one of them which we can all relate to.  It took 3 days 40 sheep two dogs and one human in it’s making.  Just brilliant!

Denver

Diary Reminders

*Tuesday 9th February The Healthy Town Challenge at the Up-to-Date Store Contact Bronwyn Hatty 0427 536 456.

BINGO: February 11th 2016 Neil Munro (Capt) Wayne Lewis, Ted Hutcheon, Dick Jennings.

Monday 15th February.  Club Assembly and Fellowship Night.

Monday 22nd February.  Celebrate the 23rd February ROTARY’S 111th BIRTHDAY

*Monday 29th February Joint Vocational Service Meeting with WW Sunrise in Ganmain at Huff ‘n’ Puff Constructions.

*Thursday March 3rd Polio Plus Film Night in Wagga Wagga. “the Lady in the Van”.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Unicorrn

AMERICAN TRIVIA ABOUT CUISINE: FOOD, FOOD ORIGINS, BEVERAGES, AND RECIPES

A honey bee must tap two million flowers to make one pound of honey.

An etiquette writer of the 1840’s advised, “Ladies may wipe their lips on the tablecloth, but not blow their noses on it.”

Astronaut John Glenn ate the first meal in space when he ate pureed applesauce squeezed from a tube aboard Friendship 7 in 1962.

Aunt Jemima pancake flour, invented in 1889, was the first ready-mix food to be sold commercially.

Caffeine: there are 100 to 150 milligrams of caffeine in an eight-ounce cup of brewed coffee, 10 milligrams in a six-ounce cup of cocoa, 5 to 10 milligrams in one ounce of bittersweet chocolate, and 5 milligrams in one ounce of milk chocolate.

California’s Frank Epperson invented the Popsicle in 1905 when he was 11 years old.

Capsicum, which makes hot peppers “hot” to the human mouth, is best neutralized by casein, the main protein found in milk.

Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), a natural substance that is reputed to stimulate the same reaction in the body as falling in love.

Chocolate manufacturers currently use 40 percent of the world’s almonds and 20 percent of the world’s peanuts.

During the Alaskan Klondike gold rush, (1897-1898) potatoes were practically worth their weight in gold. Potatoes were so valued for their vitamin C content that miners traded gold for potatoes.

During World War II, bakers in the United States were ordered to stop selling sliced bread for the duration of the war on January 18, 1943. Only whole loaves were made available to the public. It was never explained how this action helped the war effort.

Fortune cookies were invented in 1916 by George Jung, a Los Angeles noodle maker.

Goulash, a beef soup, originated in Hungary in the 9th century AD.

Haggis, the national dish of Scotland: take the heart, liver, lungs, and small intestine of a calf or sheep, boil them in the stomach of the animal, season with salt, pepper and onions, add suet and oatmeal. Enjoy!

Hostess Twinkies were invented in 1931 by James Dewar, manager of Continental Bakeries’ Chicago factory. He envisioned the product as a way of using the company’s thousands of shortcake pans which were otherwise employed only during the strawberry season. Originally called Little Shortcake Fingers, they were renamed Twinkie Fingers, and finally “Twinkies.”

Stone age

K.R. RAVINDRAN

Ravi in USA

On 13 January, Vanathy and I joined the Rotary Club of Downtown Dallas during their meeting. Always enjoy getting to participate in local club meetings.

Ravi Cricket

RI President K R Ravindran inaugurated Senior Citizens’ Home, a Project organized by Rotary Orchard, Bangalore, India (District 3190) costing more than $ 2 Million. Syed Kirmani, former wicket keeper of Indian cricket team and a member of this club, presenting a memento to the RI President

Photo Courtesy: RID Manoj Desai

GR 01

Paul Harris Plaque 1

Whilst walking the Extra Mile in Washington, guess whose plaque I came across in the pavement. Paul Harris is acknowledged along with other distinguished Americans just near the Whitehouse.

Gary in power

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

The Importance of the Peace Centers – Caterina Becorpi

Caterina Becorpi (Bradford 2013-15) spoke about her work in Africa and Haiti at the recent Rotary International Assembly. “The Rotary Peace Fellowship put me back on track and provided me with the skills and network I needed to achieve my dream of becoming a catalyst of peace.”

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

Another giant has left us: the Sumatran rhino is extinct in the wild

This March 2012 photo released by the International Rhino Foundation, shows Ratu, a Sumatran Rhinoceros, at the Way Kambas National Park in Indonesia. Ratu has been pregnant for 16 months and her calf is expected to arrive any time in the next two to three weeks, a rare event that has only happened three times in the last century, experts said on June 22, 2012. = RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / International Rhino Foundation / Bill Konstant" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS =

In the Malaysian state of Sabah there are no Sumatran rhinos left in the wild, the Environment Minister says.

The eastern Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis harrissoni), also known as the Bornean rhino, is the world’s smallest rhino, a subspecies of the Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis), and is a shy and lone creature that inhabits Bornean forests.

Or better, it inhabited. In fact, according to the Environment Minister Masidi Manjun, there are no Sumatran rhinos left in the wild in the Malaysian state of Sabah. In 2008, about 50 rhinos lived in the wild, 5 years later there were only 10 individuals left, and today they are likely to be extinct.

The decline of this species is mainly linked to 2 factors: poaching for rhino’s horn(the horn actually doesn’t have any medical benefit, contrary to many people’s beliefs), and habitat loss due to deforestation, mainly carried out to make place to oil palm plantations, and to human settlements.

MORE HERE

As this is an American based bulletin this one enRAGES me:

trump-sons-go-hunting

Real estate mogul Donald Trump’s sons, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, have come under fire after some gruesome photos showing them posing with a dead leopard and holding a severed elephant tail were released online (see them all here). The photos were taken during a hunting trip in Zimbabwe and originally posted on the Hunting Legends website. They were quickly denounced by PETA and other animal rights and conservation groups.

RAGES WEB SITE

JOIN RAGES HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA  AUSTRALIA

11951104_10153162534577993_7972558761814428991_n roo tits

FOOTNOTE

THE MAASAI CRICKET TEAM IN SYDNEY

The Maasai cricket team from Laikipia in Kenya played a game against the Primary Club at the SCG here are some photos.  They are promoting the end of FGM in Maasai women in Kenya.  (Female Genital Mutilation).

Maasai cricket 1Maasai cricket 2 Maasai cricket 3 Maasai cricket 4 Maasai cricket 5 Maasai cricket 6

Yours in Rotary 

Websites of Interest

Soul of the Elephant

Jouberts

Beverly and Dereck Joubert “Soul of the elephant”.

Soul of the Elephant

Despite living in the wild in Botswana for 30 years, filming, researching and exploring the world they have come to know so well, award-winning filmmakers and conservationists Dereck and Beverly Joubert say they are often still surprised by what they come across on their journeys. Such was the case when the couple were exploring the backwaters of the bush one day and stumbled upon the skulls of two large bull elephants with their ivory tusks intact. To the Jouberts, this is always cause for celebration because it means the giants died of natural causes and not, for example, from poaching, snares or bullets.

Filmmaker Dereck Joubert (left foreground) filming a herd of elephants from the water in Botswana. Beverly Joubert/© Wildlife Films
Filmmaker Dereck Joubert (left foreground) filming a herd of elephants from the water in Botswana.  Beverly Joubert/© Wildlife Films.

Jouberts Say NO!

Dereck and Beverly Joubert are award-winning filmmakers from Botswana who have been Explorers-in-Residence for over four years. Their mission is the conservation and understanding of the large predators and key African wildlife species that determine the course of all conservation in Africa.

They have been filming, researching, and exploring in Africa for over 25 years. Their coverage of unique predator behaviour has resulted in 22 films, 10 books, six scientific papers, and many articles for National Geographic magazine. This body of work has resulted in five Emmys, a Peabody, the World Ecology Award, and the recent induction into the American Academy of Achievement. With their stunning cinematographic storytelling they bring the very essence of our beautiful nature to life.

Thank you Dereck and Beverly.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #26

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #26

Be a Gift to the World

Peace 02

FEBRUARY IS ROTARY’S

PEACE FELLOWSHIPS

WHAT ARE ROTARY PEACE FELLOWSHIPS?

Each year, Rotary selects up to 100 individuals from around the world to receive fully funded academic fellowships at one of our peace centers. These fellowships cover tuition and fees, room and board, round-trip transportation, and all internship and field-study expenses.

In just over a decade, the Rotary Peace Centers have trained more than 900 fellows for careers in peace building. Many of them go on to serve as leaders in national governments, NGOs, the military, law enforcement, and international organizations like the United Nations and World Bank.

to see where our alumni are creating positive change.

Two types of peace fellowships are available.

MEETING MONDAY FEBRUARY 1st. 2016

We held a club assembly last night and we had a very good roll up of our members.  Among the subjects discussed were:

• New Year’s Eve results a profit of $1,422 from the night and excellent result.
  • Healthy Town Challenge at the Up-to-Date Store on the 9th Feb at 6.00 pm.
  • RYDA (Rotary Youth Diver Awareness) meeting in Wagga Wagga Tuesday (tonight) at 5.15 pm.
  • Can Assist night guest speaker to be invited.
  • Shire Emergency Fund to be discussed at tomorrow night’s Board meeting.
  • Easter markets to be held on Saturday 26th March in conjunction with an art battle on stage.
  • Music Trivia Night to be organised for September at the Ganmain Hall.
  • Vocational visit to Huff n Puff a joint Club meeting with Wagga Wagga Sunrise.
  • RYLA Candidates called for.
  • International Night in Ganmain May 14th.

So we have plenty on in the near future and to this end we list the current sub-committees below.  Any member who wishes to join a sub-committee is welcome, very welcome,  to share the workload.  At the moment we have the following sub-committees in action:

President Wayne Lewis is  a member of each sub-committee.

1.  Easter Markets: Chair Leslie Weston with Paul Weston, Ian Durham, Ian Jennings, Don Dyce and Grahame Miles.
  2. Membership: Chair Leslie Weston with Bernadette Milne, Myffy Collette, John Glassford, Mark Reardon.
  3. Vocational Visit: Huff ‘n’ Puff: Chair Dave McKinley with John Glassford, Alex Thompson, Paul Weston, Don Dyce, Susan Glassford.
  4. Club Service: Chair Dick Jennings with Trevor Parkes, Ian Jennings, Ted Hutcheon, John Nulty.
  5. Youth Service: Chair Ian Durham, Steve Exton.
  6. Coolamon & District Newspaper: Chair Myffy Collette, Bernadette Milne and Paul Weston.
  7. Bike Track: Chair Ian Jennings, Dick Jennings, Garth Perkin.
  8. Bingo: Chair Grahame Miles, Neil Munro.
  9. International Night: Chair John Glassford with PDG Fred Loneragan, Ndungi Mungai, Alex Thompson, Don Dyce, Wayne Lewis.
  10. 2016-2017: Chair Don Dyce with the 2016-2017 Board members.

You will note some  names keep cropping up on various sub-committees so put you r hands up and join one or more of the teams above.

Reminder next week’s meeting is very topical and Leslie and Paul Weston will talk on the upcoming USA Presidential race to the White House.  It will be a very interesting talk and should be fascinating to get Leslie and Paul’s insight on this important event in 2016 which ultimately affects the whole world.  Bring your partner and guests.

Diary Reminders

Wednesday 3rd February Board Meeting at the Sports Club 7.00 pm.  (No dinner).

*Monday 8th February  The USA 2016 Presidential Elections explained by Leslie and Paul Weston.  Really looking forward to this talk by Leslie and Paul. 

donald trump sarah palin 2

Tuesday 9th February The Healthy Town Challenge at the Up–to-Date Store Contact Bronwyn Hatty 0427 536 456.

BINGO: February 11th 2016 Neil Munro (Capt) Wayne Lewis, Ted Hutcheon, Dick Jennings.

Monday 15th February.  T.B.A.

Monday 22nd February.  T.B.A.

Tuesday 23rd February ROTARY’S 111th BIRTHDAY

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Last selphie

Joke 02 (2)

Key Cleaner

K.R. RAVINDRAN

PRESIDENT 2015-16

FEBRUARY 2016

In life, sometimes the experiences that matter the most are the briefest. They pass in the blink of an eye: a few days, a few hours, a few moments. They are the experiences that illuminate the landscape of our memory, shining brightly even years later. They are the moments in which we see, suddenly, something we had not seen; we understand something we had not understood; we forge a connection we had not expected.

For me, this has been a Rotary year like no other. I have been around the world, traversing countries and continents. I have been to places I had never seen before, and I have returned to familiar places and seen them, as for the first time, through the lens of Rotary.

When you travel for Rotary, you travel with a different sense of perspective and a different sense of purpose. There is an awareness of being part of something larger than yourself. When you board a plane or a train, or leave your home in the dark hours of early morning, you may be leaving for lands unknown – but at your destination, there will be no strangers. There will be Rotarians, waiting and welcoming. There will be work to do, something to learn, and perhaps something to teach.

FULL MESSAGE HERE.

GR 01

Put the above dates in your diary and let us have a good roll up from Coolamon.  Always a good weekend of fellowship and learning about Rotary.  I have been to the past 12 DISCONS and highly recommend this one to you in Wagga Wagga.

DISCON Chair Michael Knight   Wagga Wollundry  6922 3164 (home) [email protected] 0412 376 570

More details on the programme will be available soon.

Let us get as many of our members to the 2016 DISCON.
DG in NYC 3

DG in NYC 2DG In NYC

Above: DG Gary and Marilyn are in New York visiting their daughter Heidi and visited the United Nations to learn more about Peace in our time and Rotary at the UN.

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

The Rotary Foundation has been improving lives since 1917. Learn about our work and help us celebrate 100 years of doing good in the world.

TRF_Centennial_lockup

The Rotary Foundation

This not-for-profit organization works to advance world understanding, goodwill and peace. Using Rotary Foundation grants, Rotary’s 34,000 clubs across the globe develop and carry out sustainable humanitarian projects and provide scholarships and professional training opportunities.

One of its biggest initiatives aims at eradicating polio through its PolioPlus program, launched in 1985. Since then, Rotary and its partners, including the World Health Organization and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, have immunized more than 2.5 billion children, reducing the incidence of polio by 99 percent and eradicating it from all but three countries.

DISTRICT LEADERS SET TO CELEBRATE FOUNDATION’S CENTENNIAL

Rotary Foundation Trustee Chair Ray Klinginsmith asked district governors in training at the International Assembly to lead the celebration of the year, 2016-17.

“You are the primary contacts between the Foundation and our 34,000 Rotary clubs in the world. The success of the centennial celebration is largely in your hands,” said Klinginsmith at a 19 January general session. “Catch the spirit and spread the word about the importance of celebrating our success.”

Since the Foundation was established in 1917, it has spent more than $3 billion on programs and projects to improve the lives of millions worldwide, said Klinginsmith.

The centennial celebration officially kicks off in May at the Rotary Convention in Korea and culminates at the 2017 convention in Atlanta.

DISTRICT PLANS FOR THE CENTENNIAL

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

*** EXCLUSIVE - VIDEO AVAILABLE *** KENYA, AFRICA - OCTOBER 27: Distressed elephant tries to protect her unconscious baby in a heartbreaking display of motherly love on October 27, 2015 in Kenya. A DISTRESSED elephant tries to protect her unconscious baby in a heartbreaking display of motherly love. The dramatic footage shows a calf being darted by a compassionate veterinary team after it was injured by a poacher's snare. The traumatic scenes took place at the Olaro Motorogi Conservancy in South West Kenya, after a call came through reporting a calf dragging a snare on his hind leg. But when the SkyVets from David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and Kenya Wildlife Service tried to treat the two-year-old, the protective mother tried to rouse her baby from the anaesthetic - before also being darted to ensure her parental instincts did not interfere with the rescue effort. Rob Brandford, Executive Director of the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (UK), spoke about the emotional footage, which was shot in October of last year. PHOTOGRAPH BY THE DWTS / Barcroft Media UK Office, London. T +44 845 370 2233 W www.barcroftmedia.com USA Office, New York City. T +1 212 796 2458 W www.barcroftusa.com Indian Office, Delhi. T +91 11 4053 2429 W www.barcroftindia.com

*** EXCLUSIVE - VIDEO AVAILABLE *** KENYA, AFRICA - OCTOBER 27: SkyVet treat several elephants suffering from horrendous wounds caused by snares on October 27, 2015 in Kenya. A DISTRESSED elephant tries to protect her unconscious baby in a heartbreaking display of motherly love. The dramatic footage shows a calf being darted by a compassionate veterinary team after it was injured by a poacher's snare. The traumatic scenes took place at the Olaro Motorogi Conservancy in South West Kenya, after a call came through reporting a calf dragging a snare on his hind leg. But when the SkyVets from David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and Kenya Wildlife Service tried to treat the two-year-old, the protective mother tried to rouse her baby from the anaesthetic - before also being darted to ensure her parental instincts did not interfere with the rescue effort. Rob Brandford, Executive Director of the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (UK), spoke about the emotional footage, which was shot in October of last year. PHOTOGRAPH BY THE DWTS / Barcroft Media UK Office, London. T +44 845 370 2233 W www.barcroftmedia.com USA Office, New York City. T +1 212 796 2458 W www.barcroftusa.com Indian Office, Delhi. T +91 11 4053 2429 W www.barcroftindia.com

DSWT Elephant Rescue

The dramatic footage shows a calf being darted by a compassionate veterinary team after it was injured by a poacher’s snare.

The traumatic scenes took place at the Olaro Motorogi Conservancy in South West Kenya, after a call came through reporting a calf dragging a snare on his hind leg.

But when the SkyVets from David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and Kenya Wildlife Service tried to treat the two-year-old, the protective mother tried to rouse her baby from the anaesthetic – before also being darted to ensure her parental instincts did not interfere with the rescue effort.

Tanzania elephant poachers kill British helicopter pilot

Pilot

Vet Chopper

A British helicopter pilot has been shot dead by elephant poachers in Tanzania, the conservation charity for which he was working has said.

The Friedkin Conservation Fund said Roger Gower had been tracking poachers on Friday in the Maswa Game Reserve when they fired on his helicopter.

One of his colleagues said he had been shot as he flew near the carcass of one of three elephants killed by poachers.

Charity founder Dan Friedkin said the organisation had lost “a dear friend”.

The Foreign Office has confirmed the death of a UK national in Tanzania and said it was providing assistance to the family.

1/2/2016 Just In

Photographs of the crashed helicopter showed apparent bullet holes in the fuselage. A spokesman from Tanzania National Parks, Pascal Shelutete, said: “Three elephant carcasses that were found indicated that whoever shot the chopper down was on a serious illegal hunting spree.” He added that poachers can be “heavily armed with sophisticated military weaponry”.

Three men have been arrested by Tanzanian police. The natural resources and tourism minister, Jumanne Maghembe, said: “The suspects are in the hands of police. They are cooperating, and soon more people making up the poaching gang will be netted and brought to justice.”

RAGES WEB SITE

JOIN RAGES HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA

giraffe

The Elephants that came to dinner | Mfuwe Lodge, Zambia

You will enjoy this video a must visit one day.

FOOTNOTE

Space Banner

The banner of a Hampshire based rotary club has been put on display in space.

The Rotary Club of Locks Heath Banner is taking pride of place in a window of the International Space Station (ISS).

It’s all thanks to astronaut Major Tim Peake, who is part way through a six month mission on the ISS.

Major Peake’s godmother is a member of the Locks Heath club.

When fellow member John Hopwood found out, he asked if an approach could be made to see if Major Peake would take the banner and display it.

Mr Hopwood, who is the club’s publicity relations chairman, was taken aback when the answer was yes.

Yours in Rotary 

Websites of Interest