Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #1819 – 21

NOVEMBER IS ROTARY FOUNDATION MONTH

Meeting – November 26th, 2018

President Daryl welcomed 13 members & guests Barry Lillywhite, Anne B, Asta Doongarna & Helen Lewis

Apologies from John Bond, Ian Jennings, John Nulty, John Glassford, Dave McKinley, Paul Weston, Steve Exton, Bruce Hamilton, Dick Jennings & Neil Munro.

Catering at Steve Exton’s Clearing sale this Saturday

8 – 9.30am   – Daryl, Howard & Anne, Anne R

9.30 – 11am  – Alex T, Don D, Ted H & Henk H

Invitations to school presentation nights; please consider if you can represent our Club at one of these not committed

Ganmain Tuesday, 4 Dec.  – Bern & Myffy

Ganmain St. Brendan’s,   – Bern & Myffy

Marrar Thursday, Dec 6,  – Alex, Chez & Ted

Matong Tuesday, Dec 11, –  member needed

Coolamon Central Thursday Dec 13,  – Daryl B

Coolamon St. Michaels,   – Wayne & Helen

Ardlethan Tuesday Dec 18,  – member needed

Beckom School on Friday, 14th Dec, – Howard & Ann

Wayne announced some great news:

President Elect for 2020-2021 will be Howard Atkinson;   Congratulations Howard

Because it is our DG’s District Conference, we should all be supporting it if we can. Bulk booking accommodation for District Conference at Griffith was brought up for discussion. If you would like to be included in the bulk booking in onsite cabins please let Grahame know.

Trainee doctor Asta, who is working with our Doctor Amir for 2 weeks and is staying with Howard & Anne, gave a brief talk on her life & goals.  President Daryl presented her with a gift for her presentation

See the Quote of the week & Club Diary below

Who famously made this quote? – To win a  raffle ticket

‘A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself’

Please email your answer to Grahame at   [email protected]

or to  Paul at  [email protected]

DIARY

Saturday,  1st December –  Clearing Sale at Steve Exton’s.  Details to be announced

Monday December  10th Last Meeting for 2018

Thursday,  December 13th – Bingo.  Community Centre Hall, 6.45 – 10:00.      Grahame (Captain), Bern M,, Myffy C &  Alex T

* Saturday, 15th December – Christmas Party. Residence of Daryl & Jan Breust. Details to be finalised.

Wednesday, 16th January, 2019 – Board meeting.  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 7:00 pm.

Monday, 21st January – First Dinner meeting for 2019.  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Saturday 2nd March 09.15-17.00 PETS Young President Elects 2019-2020 DGE John McKenzie

Saturday 2nd March 14.00-16.30 D9700 District Leadership Team Training Young DGE John McKenzie

Saturday 2nd March 19.00 PETS Dinner Young President Elects 2019-2020 DGE John McKenzie

Sunday 3rd March 09.30-15.00 PETS Young President Elects 2019-2020 DGE John McKenzie

Sunday 28th April 10.00-16.00 DisTec 19 I.T. Young DGE John McKenzie

Sunday 26th May 2019 09.30-15.00 District Assembly Young DGE John McKenzie

Friday 29-31 March 2019 D9700 Conference Griffith DG JG D9700

Saturday 1st -5th June 2019 RI CONVENTION HAMBURG

* denotes partner & guest night

UPCOMING EVENTS

ROTARY DISTRICT 9700 CONFERENCE GRIFFITH 2019

BRIEF BIO OF ONE OF OUR SPEAKERS FEATURING:

PATRICIA GARCIA A.O. SYDNEY AUSTRALIA

National Program Manager UN Sustainable Development Goals

Rotary Peace Scholar Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok Thailand.

“Over 20 years experience working in the world’s conflicts including Afghanistan, Sudan, South Sudan, Bosnia and Burma I have managed humanitarian aid and development programmes to assist refugees and IDPS. I have been engaged as Programme Manager and Director with international NGOs and UN agencies (Oxfam, Peace Winds Japan, German Agro Action, Norwegian Church Aid UNOPS, and UNHCR) and with Austcare and Act for Peace in Australia. I have recently completed a short term consultancy with Concord is International as their Sudan Country Director.

I continue to be actively engaged in humanitarian advocacy and research and training in peacebuilding and human rights with a focus on gender based violence and disarmament issues.

Currently, I am a Casual Academic and Visiting Scholar at the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney. My languages in addition to English are Spanish and French. In 2011 I received an Australian Federal Government award for services to the overseas humanitarian sector.

In 2014 I was selected as one of the subjects for the UNSW Australian Human Rights Centre Faculty of Law photographic exhibition project entitled “Positively Remarkable People Ending Violence Against Women” (www.positivelyremarkable.wordpress.com).

I was awarded the 2016 State Finalist Australian of the Year and have recently joined the group of inspirational speakers at Celebrity Speakers.

http://www.celebrityspeakers.com.au/patricia-garcia/

I received the Queen’s Birthday Honours Award of Officer of the General Division of the Order of Australia (AO) on 13th June 2016. In November 2016 I received a Rotary Peace Fellowship for professional development study at the Rotary Peace Centre at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok Thailand.”

RI CONVENTION 2019

HAMBURG

Join us in Hamburg for the Rotary Convention! Don’t miss the early registration deadline on 15 December.

Important deadlines

27 June 2018: Last day for special promotional discount

15 December 2018: Last day for early-registration discount

31 March 2019: Last day for preregistration discount

30 April 2019: Last day to request to cancel registrations or tickets

5 June 2019: Last day for online registration

HAMBURG 2019

FOOTNOTE

ROTARY CLUB OF COOLAMON Inc. 2018-19

Chartered March 3rd, 1971; Sponsoring Club Narrandera Rotary Club

President: Daryl Breust 0409 551 140
President-Elect: Wayne Lewis 6927 3501
Service Projects: vacant
Secretary: Paul Weston  6927 2972
Treasurer: Henk Hulsman 6927 3486
Rotary Foundation Director: Neil Munro 6927 3156
Club Admin Director:  Daryl Breust 0409 551 140
Youth Director: Dave McKinley 6927 8553
Membership Director: Wayne Lewis 6927 3501
Public Image Directors: Myffy Collette 6927 6313 / Bernadette Milne
Immediate Past President: Paul Weston  6927 2972
Sergeant @ Arms: Ted Hutcheon 6927 3349

Bulletin Editor: Sarah Collins 0448 118 003 and Grahame Miles

Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #1819 – 20

AGM Meeting – November 19th, 2018

President Daryl Breust welcomed 17 members & guests Barry Lillywhite & Helen Lewis

Apologies from John B, Henk H, Paul W, Don D, Steve E, Bruce H, Dick J & Neil M

Great news announced by Daryl that we were successful in grant application for storage shed for Food Van which will be located on the showground site.

Invitations to school presentation nights; please consider if you can represent our Club at one of these

Ganmain Tuesday, 4 Dec.

Marrar Thursday, Dec 6,

Matong Tuesday, Dec 11,

Coolamon Central Thursday Dec 13

Ardlethan Tuesday Dec 18

Letter from NSW Health asking our Club to cater for Opening of Ambulance Station from 9.30 to 11.30 on Friday, December 7th. Members agreed to cater at this event.

AGM 2018

President Elect Wayne Lewis was elected to chair the AGM

He explained the possibility of having a buddy system to assist those elected to director positions

Stand-in secretary John Glassford read out minutes of last year’s AGM 2017

Financial report read out by President Daryl Breust

Board Positions nominated & voted

President: 2019-2020: Wayne Lewis

Immediate Past President & Vice President: Daryl Breust

Secretary: John Glassford

Treasurer: Henk Hulsman

Club Admin: Dave McKinley

Service Projects: Howard Atkinson

Youth: Sarah Collins

Foundation: Neil Munro

Public Relations: Grahame Miles

Membership: Paul Weston with buddy Dick Jennings

Bulletin Editor: Grahame Miles & Sarah Collins

Sergeant-at-Arms: Ted Hutcheon & buddy Alex Thompson

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Which famous musician made this quote? – To win a raffle ticket

‘With our love, we could save the world’.

Please email your answer to Grahame at [email protected]

or to Paul at [email protected]

DIARY

Saturday,  1st December –  Clearing Sale at Steve Exton’s.  Details to be announced

Sunday 9th December 10.00-16.00 DisTec18 I.T. Young DGE John McKenzie

DisTec 18 Postponed to Sunday April 28th 2019

Thursday,  December 13th – Bingo.  Community Centre Hall, 6.45 – 10:00.      Grahame (Captain), Bern M,, Myffy C &  Alex T

* Saturday, 15th December – Christmas Party. Residence of Daryl & Jan Breust. Details to be finalised.

Saturday 2nd March 09.15-17.00 PETS Young President Elects 2019-2020 DGE John McKenzie

Saturday 2nd March 14.00-16.30 D9700 District Leadership Team Training Young DGE John McKenzie

Saturday 2nd March 19.00 PETS Dinner Young President Elects 2019-2020 DGE John McKenzie

Sunday 3rd March 09.30-15.00 PETS Young President Elects 2019-2020 DGE John McKenzie

Sunday 28th April 10.00-16.00 DisTec 19 I.T. Young DGE John McKenzie

Sunday 26th May 2019 09.30-15.00 District Assembly Young DGE John McKenzie

UPCOMING EVENTS

BRIEF BIO OF ONE OF OUR SPEAKERS FEATURING:

STEPHANIE WOOLLARD SEVEN WOMEN NEPAL

Above STEPHANIE WOOLLARD with DG John Glassford 

Rotary Peace Scholar & Member of the Rotary Club of Melbourne

• Nominee for Australian of the Year 2016
  • Rotary International Peace Fellow, Recipient of the Rotary International Responsible Business Award presented at the United Nations in NY in 2016
  • Moral Fairground’s National ‘Most Ethical Enterprise Award 2014’, La Trobe Uni. Young Achiever Alumni of the Year Award 2016
  • Masters in Peace & Conflict Research from Uppsala University, Sweden

Stephanie Woollard began Seven Women at 22 after meeting seven disabled women working in a tin shed in Kathmandu.

These seven women were struggling to make a living in the face of harsh discrimination. With her last $200, Steph paid for a trainer to teach the women how to produce products for sale locally and abroad – and Seven Women was born.

Since 2006 Steph has built up the Seven Women team and launched an Australian arm for fundraising and a sales channel for our ever growing operation in Nepal.

12 years after her meeting in a tin shed that started it all, over 5,000 women have been educated, trained and employed by Seven Women.

Seven Women is empowering Nepali women, transforming their lives and their communities.

Seven Women Trailer

RI CONVENTION 2019

HAMBURG

Join us in Hamburg for the Rotary Convention! Don’t miss the early registration deadline on 15 December.

HAMBURG 2019

FOOTNOTE

Bunnings OH&S Onions on the bottom!!!

Dear Presidents

I’m aware that Bunnings have slipped in some cruel standards for how we serve our sausages, which is causing some of our long-standing ‘expert’ BBQers some angst!

I have been asked to make an executive ruling as to whether we need to obey these harrowing standards which are being imposed upon us. From what I understand, Bunnings have, because of OHS issues, proclaimed that we must put the onions on the bottom of the sandwich with the sausage on top.

More info available just message me!

DG Sue Hayward D9675

BREAKING NEWS:

Reports Suggest. Local Bunnings Warehouse has suspended operations due to a near fatal onion slipping incident.
Multiple rescue helicopters were called in to help local chippie Dazza when he slipped a little bit on an onion but recomposed himself like a champion.

Bunnings elf in an apron and manager Trevor said “we aren’t taking chances with Dazza … it could have been 10 times worse”.

Dazza can be seen in the photo being winched to safety and is currently on route to Westmead Hospital for scans and a hug. Dazza could be heard shouting “ Mate I’m alright it was just a bit of a slip and I was more upset about the lack of BBQ sauce.”

Local Orange RSPCA have taken Dazza’s kelpie who witnessed the incident to the local animal shelter for psychological tests as the animal showed signs of stress.

Two other people were flown out in separate helicopters due to gluten intolerance.
Several vegans were also counselled at the scene as they found it too traumatic.

Local member Andrew Whizz will petition parliament for an “Onion Buy Back Scheme” on Monday sighting the potential for onions to be a major cause of injury to the general public shopping for hardware. 😂

Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #1819 – 19

“Lest we forget”

Meeting of 12th November, 2018

President Daryl welcomed 15 members & guest Minnie, Helen L  & Russell B

Apologies from John B, Sarah C, Neil M, Anne R, John N, Don D, Steve E, Bruce H & Dick J

We all enjoyed a beaut Chinese feed.

Paul gave an overview of the dog shows they went to in Victoria, where they had a great deal of success. Paul had an experience of having trouble distinguishing between the fuel of unleaded & diesel; maybe it should have been written in American gas terms!

Items of interest:

• We have some invites from local schools to attend presentation nights, if some of you could find the time to represent our club.
  • Board meeting on Wednesday evening.
  • Coolamon Rotary AGM – Monday, 19 November.
  • 19th-20th November – the Rotary-sponsored Men’s Health Educational Rural Van will be at Bunnings, for those who’d like to have a general health check up for free.

See the Quote of the week & Club Diary below.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?

DIARY

Wednesday, 14th November – Board meeting.  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 7:00 pm.

Monday, 19th NovemberAGM. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Sunday 9th December 10.00-16.00 DisTec18 I.T. Young DGE John McKenzie

Sunday 26th Mat 2019 09.30-15.00 District Assembly Young DGE John McKenzie

COMMUNITY EVENTS

1. RYLA UPDATE.

Email to PDG George Weston from Lyndall McGrath RYLA D9710 Chair

Hi George

It was good to hear from you.  As of the closing of the Early Bird applications I have 15 RYLArians (5 from D9700 and 10 from D9710).  This number is up from this time last year.  Leaving things to the last minute seems to be a very hard habit for people to break – even with a financial incentive. Last year ¾ of my applications came in the last week of November so I’m confident we will receive 40+ from the two Districts but the cut-off date.

Last year I systematically telephoned all the Club Presidents in D9710 after the Early Bird cut off.  There always seems to be a percentage of Rotarians that respond better to telephone calls than emails.  I am planning to telephone D9710 Presidents early next week.

I hope the combined YE weekend was a success.  I’m sure it would have been a wonderful time.  I am putting together another newsletter for the RYLA committee and mentors that I will cc you into for your information.

Regards

Lyndall McGrath

District Chair RYLA 2018/19

Rotary Youth Leadership Awards

Link to D9710 RYLA Website with all relevant downloads

https://www.rotaryd9710.org.au/projects/vocational/ryla.html

Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #1819 – 17/18

Meeting of 29th October, 2018

President Daryl welcomed members & guests and our special  special guest speakers  David Byfield and Phil McIntosh from Wolundry Rotary and Janice Menzies from Do it for Drought affected kids (DDAK).

We sat down to a delicious roast meal on Monday night. Club business was minimal, with a number of thank yous for participating in various events including

• A big thank you went to Dave, Miffy, Alex and Sharon from Howard and Anne to those who helped out at the garage sale held at the convent. Proceeds from the sale went to Rotary with $250 dollars being raised.
  • A thank you to those that helped out with the cooking for the the bird watchers and those that helped with the cooking at the Spring Market event at the Sport & Rec Club.
  • Correspondence from Coolamon Central School thanked Rotary for the driver simulator which provided an educational experience on the effects of drink driving and texting while driving for students from year 10 to 12. An invite was also extended to the club to attend the school’s presentation evening.
  • Reminder that Steve Exton’s clearing sale will be 1st December. Club members will be needed to man the food van.

With the meal finished and general business complete we all turned our attention to the Guest speakers.

Guest speakers

Gear and Beers wrap up

Image may contain: bicycle, sky, outdoor and nature

David Byfield and Phil McIntosh from Wollundry Rotary gave us a wrap of the Gears and Beers held this year and took club members’ feedback and suggestions to make the event better and safer in the years to come. There were 2514 entries this year, which is 800 more than last year, with 750 riders participating in the Dirty 130, many of whom came from the major cities and some as far away as New Zealand.  The feedback from rider participating this year was fantastic; points of note by participating riders were: 

• The ANZAC biscuits were a major hit and numerous riders disappointed they missed out on them. 
  • The reversal of direction of the Dirty 130 made the ride more of a challenge, which was appreciated by many.
  • Dead Camel Lane was a big hit with many riders enjoying the challenge despite numerous flat tires.
  • The hospitality of the town residents was a big highlight for most riders.

Gears and  Beers in now taking on a life of its own, with minimal advertising needed this year, much of it being done via social media. A big part of the success of Gears and Beers is attributed to the hospitality of the residents in the townships that the riders visit as well as the commitment to keeping the event true to it roots, despite big offers from commercial interest to take part in the event. It is the intention of Wollundry Rotary to keep it this way.  The 2018 Gears and Beers was predicted to have raised $4 million for the region, with all the hotels booked out for a week or more as many riders took the time to tour the region after the day. The NSW government, via Destination NSW, also donated $20,000 to promote and record the event. The footage captured on the day will be used to promote future Gears and Beers.

Positive feedback is still coming in a month or more after the even and a 7 day registration window was opened up for the 2019 Gears and Beers with 350 registrations for the Dirty 130 already in, some of who will be coming from as far away as London.

David and Phil thanked Coolamon Rotary members for helping out on the day, insisting that it not would be possible without the Coolamon club. They then handed over a check of $6000 to the Coolamon club to be used for our local events and charities. President Daryl thanked the Wollundry Club for the efforts  with Gears and Beers in return, speaking for everyone that Coolamon was more than happy to help.

Daryl accepted a check for $6000 for the Coolamon club as part of the proceeds from the Gears and Beers of 2018

Doing It for Drought-Affected Kids

Janice Menzies came and spoke to the Coolamon Rotary Club about the initially small suggestion she had to help the kids for the School of the Air that are doing it tough in the drought along with their families. Janice had via the Facebook group ‘One day Closer to Rain’ suggested sending care packages to the 163 children who attend the School of the Air. Before she knew it, she was being inundated with offers to help, however she was not equipped to do the job effectively without assistance. It was recommended to her that Rotary may be able to help.

Janice outlined her plan of having a couple of donation days in both the Wagga and Albury regions to collect toys and other suitable items that could be put together for the children and their siblings. These items would then need to be sorted and packaged before being sent on a truck to Broken Hill for the February School of the Air meet up, where the families all get together for things like a swimming carnival. This would be a perfect opportunity to distribute the care packages and make the day a real event for the kids and their families so they could put aside their troubles for a time. Janice has much of the organisation well in hand but needs help with the legal side of thing and the manpower needed for the collection day and is asking Coolamon for some assistance. President Daryl and club members agreed that it was a very worthwhile charity that the club would be interested in and agreed to look into ways that the club could support her with her efforts to help out country kids and their families.

Daryl thank Janice for all her efforts to support the children of the School of the Air in these difficult times and agreed to look into how Coolamon Rotary can support her.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Image result for bike riding meme
A least he will never get a flat

Meeting of 29th October, 2018

President Daryl welcomed 13 members & no guests. Apologies from many members; Ian J, Dick J, Paul & Leslie W, Dave McK, Howard A, Don D, Steve E, Neil M, John N & Bruce H

We had a general meeting for the evening . Points of discussion included:

• Chloe Parr interested in being a RYLA participant
  • Daryl reminded us some upcoming events which are listed in the club diary.

After a delicious meal of cutlets & salad, DG John Glassford was asked to give a talk on his plans for the next 8 months of his governorship. He spoke and gave out some programs for the district conference, which will be held in Griffith on the last week of March next year.  

He asked for some assistance and support from our club in its planning, etc. Club members are asked to give some thought as to how we could help out, even if it is to attend the district conference and man the Coolamon Rotary tent at the conference.   

John also spoke on the planning and the route for the cycling event, the Polio Plus bike relay, which is aimed to make people aware of Rotary and to raise funds to eradicate polio in the world and how we could help out in the cycle leg from Wagga to Coolamon. Once again he would like to form a committee of 5 members, so we can make it a successful event.   

Because John has spent so much time with planning the distribution of the funds given to our district for drought relief, which also generated much discussion from the floor, he has decided to put off to the following year his plans for the time capsule, which was to support Legacy.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Which famous person made this quote? 

“I won’t be a rock star. I will be a legend”.

John Glassford correctly answered the quote of the week from 2 weeks ago, which was Barry Gibb.

DIARY

Monday, 12th November – Regular meeting.  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Wednesday, 14th November – Board meeting.  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 7:00 pm.

Monday, 19th NovemberAGM. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

COMMUNITY EVENTS

REMINDERS

Annual subscription fees are due.

Please get your working with children check completed and give the number and expiry date to the secretary ASAP. Failure to do so may mean you are not covered insurance wise when you volunteer at events.

President-Elect: Wayne Lewis 6927 3501
Service Projects: vacant
Club Admin Director:  Daryl Breust 0409 551 140