Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #40

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #40

NEW WEB SITE FOR MOUNT KENYA 2015

APRIL IS ROTARY MAGAZINE MONTH.

MONDAY MEETING APRIL 28th 2014

Monday night we had as our guest speaker Deborah Braines from Ronald MacDonald House in Wagga Wagga. Deborah is also a member of the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga Sunrise.  The evening was in response to the Trike Club Catering that we organised and conducted in Wagga recently.  The proceeds from the catering went to Ronald MacDonald House.  Craig Corrigan organised the 140 or so Aussie Trikers to visit and stay in Wagga Wagga for the AGM.  The catering raised $2,100 and the raffles and head shaving a further $3,900 a total of $6,000 for the event.

Ronald MacDonald House is all done by volunteers and they rely on donations from the public and conducting fund raising projects to keep the house going 24 hours a day.  The house is manned by volunteers and they do a wonderful job.

John Glassford presenting the cheque of $2,100 from the catering done in the main by the three ladies in the photo above with Deborah.  Left to Right Bernadette Milne, Myffy Collette and far right Susan Wingate-Pearse.

Other matters discussed last night included a report on the Easter Markets by Grahame Miles which showed a profit of $1,121 well done all round and President Dick thanked all those who volunteered and Paul Weston will be writing a letter of thanks to all involved.

Ian Durham brought us up to date with the telephone book and Ian asked all of those who had a proof reading job to please complete it asap.  John Glassford brought us all up to date on the Kenyan Night in Ganmain and called for volunteers to help on the Friday set up, Saturday with the event and Sunday clean up.   The night is fully booked and John requested those who have not paid as yet to do so asap to save time on the night.

As you all know Max Chapman was a member of our club and is now a member of the Wagga Wagga Sunrise Club.  Sue and Max are having an Open Garden Day at their home in Wagga Wagga.

SATURDAY MAY 17th 2014 Afternoon.

3 Olearia Place LAKE ALBERT

Live Music by Cross Country

Finger Food and BYO Poetry Readings

Funds raised go to the RC of Wagga Wagga Sunrise cost of entry $35 per person.

Please support Wagga Wagga Sunrise and call Joan Skewes on 6925 1702 to make your booking.

You will not be disappointed as Sue has done an amazing job on this their new home garden.

Diary Reminders

Sunday 4th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Monday May 5th Libby Cruikshank Guest Speaker Community Health.

Thursday May 8th BINGO Rostered ON: Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos and elephants.

Monday May 12th Regular meeting followed by a Board Meeting.

Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 May Wagga Wagga Book Fair.

Saturday 17th May Sue and Max Chapman Garden Tour and Live Music in Wagga Wagga.

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Saturday May 31st to Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

Saturday June 7th and Sunday June 8th Brad’s Fight for Life at the Coolamon Showground Volunteers needed.

Wednesday June 11th Meeting of the 2014-2015 Board at PE Garth Perkin’s Home.

Thursday June 12th BINGO Rostered ON: John Glassford, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman

Saturday 28th June D9700 Change Over Dinner in Orange.

*Monday July 7th 2015 ANNUAL CHANGE OVER DINNER

Saturday 9th August Coolamon Street Raffle

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ROTARY INFORMATION

ALUMNI AWARD WINNERS TURN HEADS WITH UNIQUE ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Maya Ajmera visits a shelter for abandoned girls in Chennai, India. The Global Fund for Children, which she founded, provides seed funding to organizations that educate children and protect their rights.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of  Maya Ajmera

Maya Ajmera founded the Global Fund for Children in 1993 to provide seed money to community-based organizations that help at-risk children across the world. Since then, GFC has awarded more than $32 million in grants to over 600 organizations in 80 countries, improving the lives of millions of children – from educating AIDS orphans in Uganda to conducting so-called curbside classrooms for waste pickers in Cambodia.

“Education is the key to getting human beings out of poverty,” says Ajmera, whose studies at St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai were sponsored by the Rotary Club of China Lake in California. “Community-based organizations are probably the most creative in being able to find the most marginalized children and provide education that is meaningful and makes sense in their lives.”

In recognition of her work, Ajmera was chosen by The Rotary Foundation Trustees to receive the 2013-14 Rotary Foundation Global Alumni Service to Humanity Award. She will receive the honor at the Rotary International Convention in Sydney on 3 June.

FULL STORY HERE

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Freezer

1st woman: Hi! My name is Wanda.

2nd woman: Hi! I’m Sylvia. How’d you die?

1st woman: I froze to death.

2nd woman: How horrible!

1st woman: It wasn’t so bad. After I quit shaking from the cold, I began to get warm & sleepy, and finally died a peaceful death. What about you?

2nd woman: I died of a massive heart attack. I suspected that my husband was cheating, so I came home early to catch him in the act.

But instead, I found him all by himself in the den watching TV.

1st woman: So, what happened?

2nd woman: I was so sure there was another woman there somewhere that I started running all over the house looking.

I ran up into the attic and searched,and down into the basement. Then I went through every closet and checked under all the beds.

I kept this up until I had looked everywhere, and finally I became so exhausted that I just keeled over with a heart attack and died.

1st woman: Too bad you didn’t look in the freezer—we’d both still be alive.

The Library

A blonde stormed up to the front desk of the library and said, “I have a complaint!”

“Yes, Ma’am?” said the librarian looking up at her.

“I borrowed a book last week and it was horrible!”

Puzzled by her complain the librarian asked “What was wrong with it?”

“It had way too many characters and there was no plot whatsoever!” said the blonde.

The librarian nodded and said, “Ahhh. So you must be the person who took our phone book.”

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Rotary International President Ron Burton visited last week with financial services staff from all of Rotary’s seven International Offices and Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland (RIBI).

There were at Rotary International for a Finance manager training seminar.

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

The Chipembere Rhino Foundation

Exciting news for all our supporters!! A big thanks to Elise of Stop Rhino Poaching.com and Milissa of Bushstraps for the fantastic effort in getting the Chipembere Rhino Foundation Bushstraps developed. We will keep you all posted when our first shipment of stock is available for purchase.

One of the two beneficiaries of our Kenyan Night in Ganmain on May 10th.

One of the items that are needed are GPS tracking leg collars for their rhinos.

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

You will only be able to register online or on site. The fees have increased since April 1st.

Entertainment in the Billabong will feature top Australian artists and musicians.

The Billabong (House of Friendship) will be opened by RI President Ron Burton at 9.30 Saturday May 31 with a traditional Aboriginal smoking ceremony. This ancient ceremony has its origins in the Dreamtime** and is not to be missed. Saturday performers will include the fabulous Delltones, an iconic vocal group synonymous with the 60′s and famous on stage and TV, plus the stirring Royal Australian Navy Band.

Sunday will showcase the NSW Police Band plus the first of three performances by none other than Kamahl, an icon in Australian Showbiz and famous for his rendition of The Gettysburg Address dedicated to President Obama.

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

SYDNEY RICON 2014

One of the highlights at the Billabong House of Friendship at ‪#‎ricon14‬ will be a diverse display of Australian Aboriginal Art and Culture curated byTali Galleryhttp://www.taligallery.com.au/

Strictly Ballroom | Sydney 2014 Rotary International Convention Offer

Take advantage of this special offer! 

Rotarians and partners are invited to take advantage of this special offer!

Book an Adult A-Reserve ticket for selected performances during your stay in Sydney for the Sydney 2014 Rotary International Convention and save!

For Tuesday – Thursday evening performances pay the special price of only $100* – a saving of up to $20!* Or, book for a Friday evening or Sunday and pay the special price of only $120* – a saving of up to $10!*

Arriving at the Sydney Lyric Theatre in March 2014, STRICTLY BALLROOM THE MUSICAL will tango, sashay and bogo pogo its way onto the stage thanks to the original creative team behind the classic 1992 Australian film, including director and co-writer Baz Luhrmann, set and costume designer Catherine Martin, choreographer John “Cha Cha” O’Connell and co-writer Craig Pearce.

STRICTLY BALLROOM THE MUSICAL is the inspiring story of a championship ballroom dancer who defies all the rules to follow his heart.

This uplifting and courageous tale originated as a stage play that Baz Luhrmann devised with a group of other students at the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) in 1984, before dancing into the hearts of audiences world wide as the award winning feature film.

In a brand new theatrical production, STRICTLY BALLROOM THE MUSICAL will bring this iconic story to life on stage. It will feature break-into-song numbers created from original classics from the film, Love is in the Air, Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps and Time After Time as well as newly composed songs.

Be a part of history and experience the drama, the humour, the romance in the sparkling, sequined spectacular that inspired the world to dance.

Great Aussie BBQ

Where: Sydney Olympic Park, Homebush
When: 12pm – 3pm, Sunday 1 June 2014 – between the two Convention Opening Sessions
Price: Free

To kick off the Convention, join us for the “Great Aussie BBQ”. Australian Rotary clubs are famous for their traditional Aussie barbecues. This event will be held at the conveniently located Cathy Freeman Park, in Sydney Olympic Park, close to the main plenary hall, Allphones Arena. The Great Outdoor Barbecue will be held between the two opening ceremonies on Sunday, June 1, and will provide wonderful fellowship opportunities.

Details

The Great Aussie BBQ will be held in Cathy Freeman Park in Sydney Olympic Park, close to the main plenary hall, AllPhones Arena. Please Book Now to assist catering. We need to know how many snags* to order.

Event Information

The programme Click to Enlarge:

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION

WE HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED BOOTH #229 IN THE BILLABONG

If you are going to Sydney and can help us man our booth # 229  please let us know.

THANKS!

FOOT NOTE

COLOURS OF AFRICA

As we prepare for our Kenyan Night in Ganmain here are some stunning colours from Kenya:

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2013 -2014

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#