Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #03

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #03

WELCOME TO THE NEW ROTARY YEAR 2014-2015

JULY IS ROTARY LITERACY MONTH

Rotary Aboriginal Oral Health Scholarships

The Rotary Club of Sydney has partnered with the Poche Centre for Indigenous Health at the University of Sydney to promote oral hygiene and dental care by developing a state wide indigenous dental assistant training program. The NSW Ministry of Health is supporting the program by providing matching funding for every dollar raised up to $200,000.

The program will focus on training Aboriginal people living in regional and remote areas of NSW in Dental Assisting and Oral Health Promotion. On completion of the course, students will be provided with a pathway to higher education such as Dental Therapy or Dentistry.

FULL STORY HERE

MEETING MONDAY JULY 21st. 2014

We had 12 members and one guest Helen Lewis attend last night’s meeting.

We had a great start to the meeting with a presentation by Teagan Leary from Run2Raise at the start of our meeting.  Run2Raise a Coolamon area initiative to look after those in the Coolamon Shire, are a group who are challenging themselves to run marathons and raise valuable funds for families or individuals in need due to health hardship.

Teagan advised the meeting that at the function held at the Coolamon Hotel $6,500 was raised for the project.  Several members attended the event last Saturday.  Our club has agreed to support Run2Raise and it was unanimous that we would offer our help and support this wonderful local community project.

Several members of Run2Raise have joined us as Friends of Rotary and we look forward to a mutually rewarding partnership.

One of the beneficiaries of the Run2Raise project is a young Coolamon girl Alice Bailey.

Alice Bailey is a 2 and a half; a beautiful little girl who was born with grade 5 cerebral palsy as a result of birth asphyxiation.  Alice also has an intellectual disability and at the age of 3 months was diagnosed with a form of epilepsy known as infantile spasms.  Alice starts therapy in August for intensive physio to try and get her moving, the cost of this therapy will cost her family $6000 for a base 3 week consultation.  The Raise2Run team wants to get behind this family and raise some funds to put towards this gorgeous little girls therapy.

President Garth encouraged all of our members to get behind this project.

Their next fund raising event is a half marathon to be held on the 17th August.  Details are on the Run2Raise Facebook page.

Run2Raise Facebook Page.

Tonight we also had a presentation on the very recent Sydney Convention or RICON.   Our club was represented by Garth Perkin and John Glassford in Sydney where we had a booth at the Billabong or House of Friendship.  We also had many volunteers from other clubs in our district who helped PDG Fred Loneragan, Garth Perkin and John Glassford manned the booth for the event that lasted 5 days.

This is a joint project of the Coolamon Rotary and Wagga Wagga Sunrise clubs.

Many new friends were made along with visits by old supporters of our Road MAPS to Africa projects.  Our booth was close to the Rotary stand and next to SheleterBox and opposite the School of St Jude’s booth.  Our booth was called Mount Kenya ANZAC Day 2015 Climb.  We were also visited by our Patron PRIP Bill Boyd.

PDG Fred Loneragan, Lorna Boyd, PRIP Bill Boyd and PP John Glassford.

MORE SYDNEY RICON PHOTOS HERE

Next RICON Sao Paulo Brazil 2015

Oloimugui Maasai Village Latest News on Coolamon’s Donation.

Last week our board decided to send $450 to the Oloimugi Maasai Traditional village to get a lap top computer to move the project along.  We also sent them $750 for a new water tank and toilets and here is an email received on the weekend thanking us for the donation.  It comes from Armicus their leader.  I would like to share it with you all here:

“A golden heart of a man who is fully determined to in all means,make shattered dreams re-unite,form and agglutinate back to life!!  A sense of transformation, weapon of hope and a strong pillar of example to a real human being,….Oloimugi, and the whole Maasai community recognizes you..the metamorphic, sedimentary, igneous and shinny rocks of Leshulugo hills even are chanting to the help, support and love you have offered..Our ancestors are rejoicing for we have suffered for long but now, hail be you!

John James Glassford and Coolamon Rotary Club…we pray and hope that we continue working together….! thank you ! Ashe oleng!  Aramicus Mayan Olesentoria. Oloimugi Traditional Maasai Village,  Kenya.”

Diary Reminders

* Monday 28th July Guest Speaker Wayne Lewis “White Line Fever”.

Saturday 9th August Coolamon Street Raffle

Monday 11th August Board Meeting all members welcome to attend.

Thursday 14th August BINGO Roster:  Grahame  Miles (Captain), Paul Weston, Dick Jennings, Leslie Weston

Sunday 17th August Run2Raise Half Marathon.

Thursday -Saturday 12-14th September Rural Womens Conference and Workshops in Coolamon.

*Monday 29th September 2014 DG David Kennedy’s Visit

Saturday 4th October Scarecrow Festival by the Coolamon Men’s Shed

* Tuesday October 7th Joint Foundation Meeting at Junee with PDG Ian Simpson D9700 DRFC.  In lieu of Monday Meeting N.B.

Monday 11th November AGM.

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT GARY HUANG

Dr. Leehter Yao, the president of the National Taipei University of Technology, conferred Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang with an Honorary Doctorate Degree of Business Administration.

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang poses for group photos with the Major of Taipei, Hou Lung-bing (front row, third from left); RI Director-elect Frederick Lin (front row, second from left); and Rotary leaders in Taiwan.

RI President Gary C.K. Huang is urging all Rotary members to Light Up Rotary by organizing a Rotary Day in 2014-15. The concept is simple: hold a fun, informal event in your community to introduce the public to your club and Rotary. You’ll not only improve Rotary’s image in your community, you’ll also boost interest in joining your club.

Host a Rotary Day

Any club, big or small, can host a Rotary Day. Neighboring clubs can pool their resources and co-host an event — even entire districts can come together for a large-scale Rotary Day. Here are some ideas for your Rotary Day:

• An outdoor picnic or barbecue
  • A sporting event or concert
  • An event associated with a public parade or festival
  • An event at a museum, art gallery, or cultural center
  • A reception or buffet dinner

Find more tips for planning a Rotary Day in the Rotary Days brochure.

Read more about Rotary Day

DISTRICT GOVERNOR DAVID KENNEDY D 9700

DG David Kennedy

Here is a report on the  Boorowa Annual Change over Dinner from DG David Kennedy.

Immediate Past President Darrell Hanns, Past District Governor, Ian Tooke and President Sina Banks.

During the evening the club was presented with three Rotary International and one District award for membership growth. The club is strong and working well in Boorowa.

President Sina, in her acceptance speech, invited fellow Rotarians and interested people to join her and husband, Alan, on a three week working holiday to The School of St Jude in Tanzania in 2015, to work at the school, visit students and their families and enjoy the beautiful sightseeing.

Boorowa News Article

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Bible Salesman

This door-to-door entrepreneur became rather bored with his job of selling Bibles, so he decided to become a boss, hiring three people to sell Bibles for him. He interviewed three people. The first came in and said, “I want to sell Bibles for you.” “OK, you’re hired. Here’s your kit; go sell!”

The second came in and said, “I want to sell Bibles for you.” “OK, you’re hired! Here’s your kit; go sell!”

The third came in and said, “I- i – I wa – wa- wa-want t-t-t-t-to s-s-s-s-ell to sell, to sell, to sell, Bi – bi – bi – Bibles, sell Bi -Bibles f-f-f-fo-for y-y-y-y you Bibles for you!”

“No,” shouted the man, ” this will never work! You can’t sell Bibles for me!” The applicant replied, “B-b-b-b-but I r-r-r-eall, but I really, really, n-n-n-n-need th-th-th-this, really need tthis job!”

As there were no other applicants, he man said, “OK, I’ll give you one shot at this, but I expect you to PRODUCE!”

At the end of the day, the first applicant comes back and reports, “I sold 8 Bibles today.” The second reports: “I sold 11 Bibles today. The third worker reports, “To-to-to-to t-t-today, I-i-I so- so, I so-, I so-, I so- I sold 28 Bi- bi- b- bibles!” “Great,” says the man. “However, I want you to sell lots more Bibles than that, so get out there tomorrow and MAKE ME SOME MONEY!”

At the end of the first day, the first worker comes in and reports, “Today, I sold 32 Bibles.” The second worker reports, “I sold 44 Bibles today” The third worker reports, “To-to-to t-today, I-i-I so- so, I so-, I sold 79 Bi-bi-bi- sold 79, sold 79 Bibles.”

“Fantastic,” said the man, “since you’re doing so well, so much better than these other two bums, why don’t you tell them what your sales technique is.” Replied the worker, “I-i-I j-j-j-j-ju-ju-ju-just wa, wa, wa, just wal- wa- wa- walk, just walk up to up to up to just walk up to them and and ask, them and ask, them and ask if th-th-th-th ask if they w-w-w-w-w- wa- ask if they want t-t-t-t-o-o- if they want to b–b-b-b-b if they want to buy a Bi-bi – want to buy a Bi–b–a – a- abi – buy a to buy a Bi-bi-bible, or d-d-d-d-d do th-th-they do they w-w-w-ant me to READ it to ’em?”

ROTARY INFORMATION

RICK BURNS’ THOUGHTFUL APPROACH TO IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN

Humanitarian Rick Burns,  “We really want to make the world a better place,” says Burns, “but if we don’t consider the outcomes of these projects, we can cause more damage than good. “Burns hopes to take advantage of a vocational training team through Rotary to further the mentoring relationship.

One of 15 women participating in the Goats for Afghan Families project organized by Karadah Project International. Photo Credit: Safi Haidari.
Humanitarian Rick Burns, a retired civil affairs officer in the U.S. Army, has been helping people in the war-torn countries of Afghanistan and Iraq since 2003. He’s seen a lot of good, but he’s also seen what happens when good intentions go awry.

“I’d been whining and complaining for so long, I thought that it’s time I do something,” says Burns, who is a member of the Rotary Club of Atlantic, Iowa, in the U.S.

The organization helps communities in Afghanistan and Iraq create international partnerships to help solve such pressing problems as hunger, poverty, and disease.

FULL STORY HERE

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

MOUNT KENYA 2015 ANZAC DAY CLIMB

This will be a permanent section for the next 12 months in our weekly bulletin and I will update stories to this article as and when we get them.   The Australian Commonwealth Department of Veterans Affairs have approved our application to be part of the Centenary for ANZAC and we are allowed to use the logo below with some rules on it’s use:

The Mount Kenya 2015 web site can be found here on clicking the banner below:

The third team that we are taking to Kenya is made up of our supporters and partners.  We have called them the Gin and Tonic Safari Team.

Meanwhile one of our ideas is to visit the Oloimugi Traditional Maasai Village just North of Mount Kenya and here is a description of what we can expect there.  This comes from our Maasai Moran Armicus who we are helping with this project.

Mzungus learning Maasai culture at Oloimugi.

“Meanwhile, I think we could explore the possibility of organizing camel rides for the safari team,bush walks,traditional dance and a huge showcase of what we do at Oloimugi when you guys visit us.I could plan with you so that we have something like a party that day,decorated by our Maasai warriors at night.If we manage to get tents by then,it will be very fine.”  Armicus Mayan Olesentoria.

FOOT NOTE

In case you missed the Up2Date Art Exhibition here are a few reminders of what a great show that is going on there this week.

More photos were published to the web site this week.

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2014 -2015

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species

RAGES WEB SITE

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Gary Huang

Governor of District 9700 David Kennedy

Coolamon Club President  Garth Perkin

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#