Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #1617-6

Club Assembly, 8 August

This week’s meeting was a club assembly, so not much exciting to report but a number of important items nonetheless:

Trevor Parkes update – Trevor is still in hospital with no diagnosis.  A second opinion is being sought.

Working with Children – members need to register.  Please see the separate item in this bulletin.

Hospital Fete – The date has been set for 22 October.  We’ve been asked to help again, so members please save the date.

Youth programs – Director Dick would like assistance from another member to run the youth programs of the club.  Contact Dick directly if interested.

Shop Locally campaign – The campaign has lost a bit of puff, so it’s time to strategise for the future of the campaign.  In the meantime, members are urged to shop locally whenever possible to set a good example for the rest of the community.

District Convention 2019 – DGN John G would like to schedule a committee meeting sometime for the coming fortnight.  Committee members are asked to keep an eye out for an announcement soon.

Telephone Directory 2017 – It’s time to start organising the next directory.  Let Directory chair Ian D know if you’re interested in serving on this important committee.

Membership – Director Leslie is looking for a new member for her committee, preferably one of the newer members of the club.  Leslie has some ideas to generate interest in the club, including holding a Trivia Night and having club outings in lieu of some regular meetings.  In that vein, Leslie is organising a Field Day (evening) at her research plots at the CSU farm on Prices Road.  The date is tentatively set for 26 September, weather permitting.  The Easter Markets will go forth on Easter Saturday, and will feature a variety of vintage cars (and the Tesla!) from various clubs and individuals.

Moo Poo – The project will start up soon, as soon as weather permits.  Look for a call for help bagging the product in the coming weeks.

Working with Children

WWCAll club members who are involved with projects involving youth (that’s the entire club!) are required to undergo a Working With Children (WWC) check with the government of NSW.  The process begins with completing a form online (at https://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/working-with-children/working-with-children-check, or simply google WWC NSW).  After completing the form, you will receive an e-mail (or snail mail) with a confirmation number that must be taken to Roads and Maritime Services (formerly RTA) in Wagga.  There, you simply present the number and your driver’s licence as proof of identity, and you’re done!  Once the process is completed, please forward your WWC number and date of birth to Secretary Steve (the numbers need to be kept on file with the secretary).  The confirmation number is good for five years, and all members need to undergo the check, so do it today if you haven’t already done so.

On the lighter side

When Bill and Hillary first got married Bill said, “I put a box under the bed. You must promise never to look in it.” In all their 30 years of marriage, Hillary never looked. On the afternoon of their 30th anniversary, curiosity got the best of her and she lifted the lid and peeked inside. In it were 3 empty beer cans and $81,874.25 in cash.

She closed the box and put it back under the bed. Now that she knew what was in the box, she was doubly curious as to why there was such a box and with those contents. That evening, they were out for a special anniversary dinner. After dinner, Hillary could no longer contain her curiosity and she confessed, saying, “I’m so sorry, Bill. For all these years, I kept my promise and never looked into the box under our bed. However, today the temptation was too much and I gave in. But now I need to know, why do you keep the 3 beer cans in the box?”

Bill thought for a while and said, “I guess after all these years you deserve to know the truth. Whenever I was unfaithful to you, I put an empty beer can in the box under the bed to remind myself not to do it again.”

Hillary was shocked, but said, “Hmmm, Jennifer, Paula and Monica. I’m disappointed and saddened by your behavior; however, since you are addicted to sex I guess it does happen and I guess 3 times is not that bad considering your problem.”

Bill thanked her for being so understanding. They hugged and made their peace.  A little while later Hillary asked Bill, “So why do you have all that money in the box?”

He answered, “Well, whenever the box filled up with empty cans, I took them to the recycling center.”

A puzzler for you

If Teresa’s daughter is my daughter’s mother, what is my relationship to Teresa?

a) Grandmother, b) Mother, c) Daughter, d) Granddaughter, e) I am Teresa, f) Father.

Answer to last week’s puzzler

The cost of the ball was 5 cents.

Diary Reminders

Monday, 15 August: Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club. Guest speaker: Greg Higgins, “Heart Attacks and Stroke”.  Partners welcome.

Wednesday, 17 August: Board meeting. Don Dyce residence, 7 pm.

Thursday, 25 August: Australian Rotary Health Indigenous Australian Medical Scholarship Informational Program, Wagga Mercure, 6:30 pm start. Answer to riddle: wholesome!

Monday, 12 September: Regular meeting and visit by DG Michael Millston. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club.

Saturday, 17 September: Kindra Forest Multipurpose Trail Opening.

Saturday, 17 September: Coolamon Cheese Factory Grand Opening.

Monday, 26 September: CSU Field Day (in lieu of weekly meeting).  Stay tuned for details.

Sunday, 2 October: Gears & Beers. Stay tuned for details!

Sunday, 16 October: President’s Forum and D9700 AGM, Young.

Saturday, 22 October: Hospital Fete. Details to come.

Saturday, 26 November: Street Raffle.

*Partners and Guests Night

Apologies for Monday meetings: call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12:00 pm.