Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #1617-30

Week of 20 March

What a ripper of an evening!  A large number of Rotarians (including many visiting from other clubs) and guests filled the restaurant at the Sport & Rec Club to witness the re-induction of former member Bruce Hamilton and hear some interesting and inspirational presentations by several exchange students and Judith Hall, chair of the District 9700  youth exchange program.  Special guests on the night included DGE George Weston and his wife, Carol, along with AG Bryan Short and his wife, Sally. Following Bruce’s induction, we heard some truly inspirational talks by a current exchange student from Denmark who is finishing up a year in Leeton as well as an exchange student from D9700 who spent a year in Belgium several years ago.  Both students commented on how their experience abroad has changed their lives for the better, how their self-confidence has been boosted, and how they now have friends and family on both sides of the planet!  We also heard from Jackson Wykes, a Coolamon secondary student whom our club is supporting in his quest to be the next exchange student from D9700.  We wish Jackson the best in the interview process and hope he gets the chance to go abroad next year. 

On the lighter side

St Paddy’s Day Reverie

Two men were sitting next to each other on St. Patrick’s Day at Murphy’s Pub in London.  After awhile, one bloke looks at the other and says, “I can’t help but think, from listening to you, that you’re

from Ireland.”

The other bloke responds proudly, “Yes, that I am!”

The first one says, “So am I! And where about from Ireland might you be?”

The other bloke answers, “I’m from Dublin, I am.”

The first one responds, “So am I!”

“Mother Mary and begora. And what street did you live on in Dublin?”

The other bloke says, “A lovely little area it was.  I lived on McCleary Street in the old part of town.”

The first one says, “Faith and it’s a small world! So did I! And to what school would you have been going?”

The other bloke answers, “Well now, I went to St. Mary’s, of course.”

The first one gets really excited and says, “And so did I! Pray tell, what year did you graduate?”

The other bloke answers, “Well now, let’s see.  I graduated in 1964.”

The first one exclaims, “The Good Lord must be smilin’ down upon us! I can hardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same place tonight. Can you believe it, I graduated from St. Mary’s in 1964 my own self!

At about this time, Vicky walks up to the bar, sits down and orders a drink.

Brian, the barman, walks over to Vicky, shaking his head and mutters, “It’s going to be a long, long night.”

Vicky says, “Why do you say that, Brian?”

“The Murphy twins are drunk again.”

The puzzler

You start walking north and you walk in a straight line for two kilometers. When you look at the map, you discover that you actually walked one kilometer north and one kilometer south. How is this possible?

Answer to the last Puzzler:

Three hens will lay one dozen eggs over 6 days. Explanation: An egg and a half laid by a hen and a half over a day and a half is equivalent to one egg laid per hen over a day and a half.  Thus, one hen will lay 4 eggs over 6 days, and thus three hens will lay 12 eggs over 6 days.

Diary

Monday, 27 March: Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Monday, 3 April: Club assembly. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Saturday, 15 April: Easter markets. Up-To-Date Store, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm.

Sunday, 30 April: District 9700 Assembly (All Directors). West Wyalong High School 9:00 am.

10-14 June, 2017: Rotary International Convention, Atlanta, GA, USA.

*Partners and Guests Night

Apologies for Monday meetings: call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12:00 pm.