Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #24

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #24

FEBRUARY IS ROTARY WORLD UNDERSTANDING MONTH.

MEETING MONDAY FEBRUARY 4th.

It was good to be back for 2013.  Tonight we had a meeting in three parts.  First we conducted our business as usual and enjoyed a Chinese banquet by Gilbert.  We also had three guests join us in Sandra West, Merrin Glasgow and Wayne Lewis all from Coolamon.

The second part was a presentation to our members of a silver tray given to Sandra West’s father, Keith West, on his appointment as our first club President in 1971.  Sandra and Merrin are looking at joining our Friends of Rotary membership.  PP Keith West was the main instigator in forming our club under the sponsorship of our sponsor club Narrandera.

PP Neil Munro presented a certificate of appreciation to President Paul from the Coolamon Hospital Auxiliary, this is for all the work that we do to help our local hospital.

PP Neil Munro presents the certificate to President Paul Weston

The third part was a presentation by PP Ian Durham on his life to date.  Ian is a proud Aussie Returned Soldier from the Vietnam War.  We all enjoyed Ian’s talk and learned more about his life.

Next Monday we meet at President Paul and Leslie’s home for a pizza night and business including a board meeting.  All members are welcome to attend.  Please advise Paul of your attendance.

DIARY REMINDERS

Saturday 9th February Street Raffle in aid of Australian disasters including the Bush Fires and Floods.

Monday 11th February Business and Board Meeting Club catering Venue: Paul and Leslie Weston’s home.

Thursday 14th February VALENTINES DAY BINGO rostered on are: Neil Munro, Garth Perkin (for Christine Atkinson), Dick Jennings & John Glassford (for Rod Jarrett).

*Monday 18th February Guest Speaker TBA with Gilbert catering.

Saturday February 23rd and Sunday February 24th PETS at Young. (President Elect Training).

*Monday 25th February Club Member Night John Glassford Out of Africa.  Club catering

Monday March 4th David Jenkins Guest Speaker Gilbert catering.

Monday 11th March Business and Board Meeting Club catering.

*Monday 18th March Guest Speaker Ross Sinclair Gilbert catering.

*Monday 25th March Club Member Night Henk Hulsman.  Club catering.

Friday 19th to Sunday 21st April 2013   D9700 Conference Leeton.

Saturday June 8th Coolamon Rotary Street Raffle.

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

*Monday July 1st our 42nd Change Over Night.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

I want to thank everyone for welcoming me so warmly during my trip to Africa. Everywhere I saw successful and amazing Rotary service projects at work. As you can tell by my smile, I’m proud to be the president of an organization that does so many great things and helps so many wonderful people around the world. I truly believe we are achieving Peace Through Service.

District 9200 has an excellent website chock-full of Rotary news and information. Congratulations on a fine job spreading the word about Rotary. And thank you for your hospitality during my trip to Africa.   http://bit.ly/QXfsoG

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Australian Tourism: questions answered- Obviously the answers came from fellow Aussie’s just having a laugh

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, so how do the plants grow? (UK)
A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you’ve been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney – can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it’s only three thousand miles, take lots of water…

Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
A: What did your last slave die of?

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not… oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

Q: Which direction is north in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 90 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we’ll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys’ Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is…oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
A: You are a British politician, right?

Q: Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
A: Yes, gay nightclubs.

Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
A: Only at Christmas.

Q: Are there killer bees in Australia? (Germany)
A: Not yet, but for you, we’ll import them.

Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilisation of vegan hunter gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
A: Rattlesnakes live in America which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It’s a kind of bear and lives in trees.(USA)
A: It’s called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by covering yourself with Vegemite before you go out walking.

Q: I was in Australia in 1969 on R+R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
A: Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour.

ROTARY INFORMATION

ROTARY AUSTRALIA WORLD COMMUNITY SERVICE {RAWCS}

A model orphanage organised and constructed the the Rotary Clubs of Surfers Sunrise, Goondawindi, and Apia Samoa

The House of Hope, Apia, Samoa

One good reason to join Rotary travel to places like Samoa and get involved in serving the International Community.

RAWCS WEB SITE

BUCKET LIST

CABLE BEACH BROOME WESTERN AUSTRALIA

BROOME PEARLS FOR VALENTINES DAY

BROOME ROTARY CLUB WA

The Rotary Club of Broome holds its weekly breakfast meetings on Wednesday mornings at the Mangrove Resort Hotel. We assemble at the Mangrove from 6:30am for breakfast, with the meeting getting underway at 7:00am. On the last Wednesday of each month, instead of the usual breakfast meeting, we have an evening social get-together. Please contact the Rotary Club of Broome for details.

Broome Rotary Club meets at the Mangrove Hotel

Mangrove Resort Hotel

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Governor of District 9700  Greg Brown

Coolamon Club President  Paul Weston

Coolamon Club Secretary  John Glassford

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.