Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #02

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #02

JULY IS ROTARY’S NEW YEAR MONTH.

Sunday saw 5 Coolamon Rotarians attend the Rotary Club of Junee’s Change Over Dinner, well it was lunch on a Sunday.  Junee are growing and gathering excellent new members and Immediate Past President Peter Commens is one of them.  Peter handed the reins over to Doug Bell.  A good roll up of other clubs and a most enjoyable way to spend Sunday.

Past President Peter Commens hands over to President Doug Bell with our District Governor Geoff Tancred as the witness.

MEETING MONDAY 8th.  JULY

President Dick began the meeting by inducting Grahame Miles as our Membership Director.  Dick also announced that the raffle on our change over night raised close to $500 for ROMAC the project of our DG’s wife Bettye Tancred.

Our first meeting for 2013-2014 with President Dick Jennings at the wheel.  Dick conducted a lively and fun meeting with the highlight being a talk by PP Ted Hutcheon on his life.  Ted was the oldest son of one of our well respected members the late PP George Hutcheon.   Ted’s talk was amusing with no holds barred and at times gruesome.  Ted’s exploits as a pilot and a member of the fire brigade were memorable.  In his 19 years of service with the fire brigade Ted was never allowed to drive the fire engine!   Thanks Ted.

Ted Hutcheon

We had 14 members present tonight a great result.  The raffle of one dozen Golden Ganmain Pies was won by Dick Jennings. Volunteers to compile the 2014 Coolamon Rotary Telephone Book were called for and we have 5 volunteers to form the committee.  This is one of our major projects that we do every 3-4 years.

Dick asked for names of members who wish to attend the Lions meeting next Wednesday 17th July and so far we have 10 members going even though it is the decider of the State of Origin.  There were several points of interest including the make up of the Business and Shop Locally Meeting for the 5th of August.  Please put this one in your diary.  We have a busy year upcoming so keep an eye on the diary below.

Diary Reminders

July 11th 2013 BINGO Leslie Weston,  Paul Weston, Wayne Lewis, Ian Durham

Monday 15th July Business meeting followed by a Board Meeting ALL members are very welcome to attend the board meeting.

Wednesday 17th July Lions Meeting Coolamon Rotary is invited to hear their guest speaker Kylie Dunston from Regional Development Australia talking on the NBN roll out and what it means for the Coolamon Shire.  Dinner meeting 7.00 for 7.30 pm at the Coolamon Sports and Recreation Club.

Friday 19th July to Sunday July 28th 2013 Up-to-Date Art Exhibition.

Winner of the 2012 People’s Choice Award by artist Tim Morris. The award in 2013 will be sponsored by Treats & Treasures Antiques & Collectables.

*Monday 5th August Shop Locally Campaign Business Houses Meeting.  Two excellent guest speakers will be attending in Julian McLaren and Michael Reid.

Thursday 8th August BINGO: Garth Perkin, Grahame Miles, Don Dyce, Rodney Jarrett.

*Saturday 17th August Darkness to Light Dinner RC of Wagga Wagga BOOK NOW!

*Monday 30th September DG Geoff Tancred’s Visit.

Sunday 6th October Coolamon Scarecrow Festival.

Monday 7th October NO Meeting Labour Day Weekend.

Saturday 12th October Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital Fete IN Ganmain.

Saturday 26th October Street Raffle in Coolamon.

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

The new Rotary year: Changes you should know about

For three years, 100 districts have been testing Future Vision, a pilot of The Rotary Foundation’s new grant system, which was designed to increase Rotary’s effectiveness during the next century of service.

As the new Rotary year dawns, the future has begun. All districts begin using the simplified grant structure 1 July. Districts have already been completing the qualification process and qualifying their clubs. A number of clubs and districts have begun preparing and submitting grant applications.

There will be three types of grants: global, district, and packaged. You can learn about all three types, and get more details about the application process, on Rotary’s grant microsite .

Other changes for 2013-14:

• Rotarians will be allowed to form satellite clubs, whose members meet at a different time and location from their parent clubs. The change, approved by the Council on Legislation in April, is intended to make it easier for members to develop the core for a new club.
  • Districts will be able to form an unlimited number of e-clubs. The Council removed a limit of two e-clubs per district. The change is designed to bring in new members and appeal to young professionals, who may be less able to meet in person weekly.
  • The name of Rotary’s fifth Avenue of Service will change from “New Generations Service” to “Youth Service.” This change was also approved by the Council. In 2010, this avenue of service joined Club Service, Vocational Service, Community Service, and International Service.
  • The dues Rotary clubs pay Rotary International will increase US$1 to $53 per member.
  • A redesigned Rotary website will be launched in late summer.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Statue

A woman was in bed with her lover when she heard her husband opening the front door.

“Hurry!” she said. “Stand in the corner.” She quickly rubbed baby oil all over him and then she dusted him with talcum powder. “Don’t move until I tell you to,” she whispered. “
“What’s this, Honey?” the husband inquired, as he entered the room.

“Oh, it’s just a statue,” she replied nonchalantly. “The Smiths bought one for their bedroom. I liked it so much, I got one for us too.”

No more was said about the statue, not even later that night when they went to sleep.  Around two in the morning, the husband got out of bed, went to the kitchen and returned a while later with a sandwich and a glass of milk.

“Here,” he said to the ‘statue’., “Eat something. I stood like an idiot at the Smith’s for three days and nobody offered me so much as a glass of water.”:)

The Worms

Mr. Will was trying to teach his son the evils of alcohol so he would never touch it….

He put a worm in a glass of water & another worm in a glass of whiskey.

The worm in the water lived while the one in the whiskey curled up & died instantly.

“All right, son,” Said Will, “what did u understand from this?”

“Well dad, it shows that if you drink alcohol you will not have worms…so we should drink lots and lots of alcohol to kill the worms..

20 Years

A woman awakes during the night to find that her husband is not in their bed. She puts on her robe and goes downstairs to look for him. She finds him sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in front of him.

He appears deep in thought, just staring at the wall. She watches as he wipes a tear from his eye and takes a sip of coffee. “What’s the matter, dear?” she whispers as she steps into the room. “Why are you down here at this time of night?”

The husband looks up, “Do you remember 20 years ago when we were dating, and you were only 17?” he asks solemnly. The wife is touched, thinking her husband is so caring and sensitive. “Yes, I do,” she replies. The husband pauses.

The words are not coming easily. “Do you remember when your father caught us in the backseat of my car?” “Yes, I remember,” says the wife, lowering herself into a chair beside him. The husband continues, “Do you remember when he shoved a shotgun in my face and said, “Either you marry my daughter, or I will send you to jail for 20 years!” “I remember that too,” she replies softly.

He wipes another tear from his cheek and says, “I would have gotten out today!”

Bad bad idea!

ROTARY INFORMATION

Not engaging Rotary is killing clubs

Please read this story, I know it is from America but it makes sense!

Martin “Marty” Postic, Jr. 

By Martin “Marty” Postic, Jr., past governor of District 5750 (Oklahoma, USA) and a member of the Rotary Club of Oklahoma City Midtown, Oklahoma, USA

I am proud to say that I consider RI President Ron Burton a friend. One of my first Rotary Club make up meetings in 1985 was at a small club that had bad food, a bad program, REALLY bad singing and (surprise!) very few members. However, as I sat down, a man reached his hand across the table and said, “Hi! I’m Ron Burton from the Norman Rotary Club” and introduced me to a Rotarian guest he had brought.

Over the years, Ron and I became good friends. So much so that, one day in 1989 we had breakfast together in Norman while discussing some pending legislation in our state (Ron and I are both attorneys). As you might expect our conversation that morning eventually turned to Rotary. I was preparing to “move up the ladder” in my club to be president in a few years. Ron had already been District Governor and held other positions in Rotary and with The Rotary Foundation.

I had a desire to someday be our district governor and sought advice from him. After listening to his advice, I then asked, “Ron where do you want to go in Rotary?” He said, with a very overt confidence, “Marty, I’m going to be president of Rotary International someday.” His demeanor and his “swagger” told me this was not just a pipe dream. It would be a reality. As of 1 July, Ron Burton is the president of Rotary International – only the second one from my State of Oklahoma.

The words of our incoming president during his theme speech, Engage Rotary, Change Lives, at the International Assembly truly hit the proverbial nail on the head in summarizing what should be our motivation to make Rotary successful. Too many times, clubs and Rotarians focus only on bringing the bodies into Rotary. Sadly, we don’t also bring their hearts. It is easy to fill a room with members of a Rotary Club. However, unless and until we turn those members into Rotarians, they have no motivation to stay.

The most defining moment in the development of the Oklahoma City Midtown Rotary Club was when, after getting a grant to purchase some tools for a local high school’s drama department, several club members went to deliver the tools. Most of our members were shocked by the reaction of the teachers and the students who were overly appreciative of our club’s gift – so much so that some were crying. I sensed that experience affected the Midtown members to a point where they wanted to do more. As the Midtown Club was chartered, it consisted of all younger people (their average age was around 32) with no former Rotary experience. However, almost all of the members of that club now “get it.” They understand the value of service. They understand the need to help. They ARE Rotarians!

The club where I first met Ron Burton eventually “went out of business” a few years later. Their members were not engaged in Rotary, they were “engaged” in a coffee klatch. Those clubs that are identified in the community as a “lunch club,” a “breakfast club,” or – even worse – an “old man’s club” will fail. They won’t grow.

However, the community where I first met President Ron did start a new club a few years later. It is dynamic, active and engaged. I sincerely doubt that new club could have grown out of the shell of the former club. It needed to start anew.

Where is your club? Are you already marked with the “tattoo” of the “old man’s club”? Or are you more like the Oklahoma City Midtown club? It’s not too late to remove the tattoo, and engage Rotary.

– Adapted with permission from Marty Postic’s blog, Rotary Membership Revival – The New Club Project.

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK

RUMI:  Be a lamp, or a lifeboat or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Raising $300K for Timor-Leste Health Project

EastTimora

Rotary Club of Sydney – President’s Project

Isin-Di’ak Fund – A Timor-Leste Health Project

The Sydney Rotary Club will be supporting the University of Sydney’s Isin-Di’ak Fund.  This new fund has been set up with the overall objective of improving health outcomes in Timor-Leste.  The Governor of NSW, Prof Marie Bashir AC is the patron of the fund.

One of the first major projects of the fund will be the elimination of lymphatic filariasis, a very nasty, mosquito transmitted, parasitic disease.  This is the disease that causes elephantiasis – the gross swelling of limbs and other parts of the body.  It is very debilitating but quite preventable! A 5 year program involving mass treatment of the population annually with two anti-parasitic drugs should eliminate the disease. This will also eliminate another nasty parasite – intestinal worms (e.g. hookworms) which affect more than 60% of Timor-Leste children and cause anemia and malnutrition.

The key to the success of this program will be the training and education of the Timorese in the delivery of the drugs and the monitoring of the results.  A base line study has recently been completed which has confirmed the extent and severity of these problems.  Elimination of the diseases will make a substantial difference to the well being and quality of life for many Timorese.

The Rotary Club of Sydney is hoping to raise at least $300,000 in support of this very worthwhile project.

Please help us by DONATING HERE

ROTARY CLUB OF SYDNEY WEB SITE

Also from East Timor via the Rotary Club of Cairns Sunrise is an appeal for funds to help with the recent floods there.

Approximately 1000 people were flooded out of their homes, 5 deaths, 3 schools inoperable.
What we are trying to so is collect some $$$ and then we will send to Daryl Mills the Resident RAWCS Liaison person in Dili.  He will then buy Mosquito nets, blankets and cooking pots.
Our District Treasurer Col Lawson will get the money together for transfer.  We have sent some funds but as usual too much need so we are asking outside of our District.
Money is the best way of helping and Shelterbox was not involved.
All the best, 

Susanne Rea
PP O8/09 Rotary Club of Cairns Sunrise
Promotions and Development Co-ordinator RAWCS NR
2009- current
End Polio Now Chair D9550 2013-16

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford