Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #05

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #05

JULY IS ROTARY’S NEW YEAR MONTH.

ATTENTION MONDAY AUGUST 5th MEETING!

President Dick Jennings would like to continue Coolamon Rotary’s support of local businesses.

With this in mind we are inviting you to a dinner meeting on Monday evening, August 5th 2013, with two guest speakers.

Michael Reid is a banker with much experience in business banking.  His presentation will concentrate on finance in the business sector.

Julian McLaren is a Wagga City Councillor, President of Wagga Business Chamber and an investment consultant.  Julian’s presentation will focus on “where to now” in relation to present day factors such as low consumer confidence, meeting the competition from Internet retailers and the drop in the Australian dollar.

Both speakers will be given time to answer questions from the floor.

WHERE: Coolamon Sport and Recreation Club

WHEN: 6:30pm Monday 5 August

COST: $20.00 (tax deductible)

RSVP: by Friday August 2nd to Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157, Henk Hulsman on 02 6927 3486 or Leslie Weston on 0417 293 262.

Congratulations Patrick! – Rotary Coolamon awards a Paul Harris Sapphire

President John Routley Hout Bay RC pins the PHF Sapphire on Patrick McLaughlin.

Last Tuesday’s main event (Hout Bay Rotary Weekly Meeting) was kept a close secret from all but the very select.  Patrick’s sapphire to his Paul Harris.  So very well deserved and awarded by Rotary Coolamon in honour of Patrick’s unstinting work within the Health Forum and the Clinic.  Particularly his heroic efforts in organising and running the Rotary Family Health Day held recently in Hout Bay.  John Glassford and his crew let me in on this intended award a while back and after physically sending the award to our current President John, this was presented last Tuesday. T he photographs show the huge surprise and pleasure on Patrick’s face. John Routley played out a video recorded by RC Coolamon to one surprised Patrick and the assembled membership.

Patrick’s response in part-via email:

“In my 31 years of Rotary, and probably in my life as a whole, no such a great thing happened to me in Rotary. I shall treasure that surprise until the going down of the sun.

This must have cost your club a bloody fortune. I am embarrassed. We, the team in Hout Bay, Butch, Allan, Don, everybody, just did “our thing” but I thank you from my heart. This award came at a good time in my life and I feel so proud.”

Patrick.

REPORT MEETING MONDAY 29th.  JULY

We had 15 members attend tonight’s club assembly and board meeting.

Major decisions included getting the Rotary Telephone Book published in 2014.  Committee:  Ian Durham Chair, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson, Miffy Collette, Bernadette Milne, Paul Weston, Ted Hutcheon and Dick Jennings.

Catering for the Trike Convention in Wagga Wagga in March 2014 with the proceeds going to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.  Between 150-200 Trikers will be attending the Friday night dinner.  Committee includes John Glassford, Wayne Lewis, Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Craig Corrigan and Susan Glassford.

Part of the proceeds from Bingo will go to buy a special bed for the Allawah Lodge to accommodate special patients at a cost of $2,800.

We will cater for the steam train arriving at the Coolamon Railway Station on Friday August 30th for morning tea.

We will support the Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital fete with a bed race in Ganmain.  Details to be confirmed.

All in all an excellent meeting and below is the latest diary.

Diary Reminders

*Monday 5th August Shop Locally Campaign Business Houses Meeting.  Two excellent guest speakers will be attending in Julian McLaren and Michael Reid.

Thursday 8th August BINGO: Garth Perkin, Grahame Miles, Don Dyce, Rodney Jarrett.

Monday 12th August NO MEETING

*Tuesday 13th August Joint Meeting with Junee in Junee Featuring the Wagga Wagga Male Rugby Choir.  Numbers to Christine Atkinson 0427 880 158.

*Saturday 17th August Darkness to Light Dinner RC of Wagga Wagga BOOK NOW!

*Monday 19th August Honeywell Science Presentation and Guest Speaker TBA.

*Monday 26th August John Franklin Guest Speaker .  Times and life living in the Northern Territory.

Friday August 30th Steam Train in Coolamon Morning Tea.  Volunteers required.

*Monday 2nd September Guest Speaker Colleen Wilson Lord OAM.

Tuesday 3rd September Memory, Movement and Motivation Information Day Coolamon  by Colleen Lord OAM Health and Wellness Day at the Allawah Community Centre. Contact Clare Munro: 6927 3548.

Thursday 12th September BINGO:  Christine Atkinson, Mark Reardon, Dick Jennings, Neil Munro

*Monday 30th September DG Geoff Tancred’s Visit.

Sunday 6th October Coolamon Scarecrow Festival.

Monday 7th October NO Meeting Labour Day Weekend.

Thursday 10th October BINGO:   Ian Jennings, John Glassford, Grahame Miles, Ted Hutcheon

Saturday 12th October Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital Fete IN Ganmain.

Saturday 26th October Street Raffle in Coolamon.

Late November early December date TBA: Early Pre-Christmas Rotary Community Market Day in Coolamon.

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd February PETS in Young

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

RI President Ron Burton visited the New York Stock Exchange with Rotarians to commemorate that NYSE Euronext joined the United Nations’ Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE) initiative. This will explore how exchanges can work together with investors, regulators, and companies to enhance corporate transparency on Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) issues and encourage responsible long-term approaches to investment.

Photo from left: Christian Rietzke, president of the Rotary Club of Metro New York City; President Burton; Matts Ingemanson, district governor of District 7230; and Stefan Jekel, past president of Rotary Club of Metro New York City.
Photo courtesy of NYSE/Ben Hider

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Pool.

Once there was a millionaire, who collected live crocs. He kept them in the pool in back of his mansion.

The millionaire also had a beautiful daughter who was single.

One day, the millionaire decides to throw a huge party, and during the party he announces:

“My dear guests, I have a proposition to every man here.  I will give one million dollars, or my daughter, to the man who can swim across this pool full of crocs and emerge unharmed!”

As soon as he finished his last word, there was the sound of a large splash in the pool.  The guy in the pool was swimming with all his might, and the crowd began to cheer him on. Finally, he made it to the other side of the pool unharmed.

The millionaire was impressed. He said, “That was incredible! Fantastic! I didn’t think it could be done! Well, I must keep my end of the bargain. Do you want my daughter or the one million dollars?” The guy catches his breath, then says:

“Listen, I don’t want your money! And I don’t want your daughter! I want the mongrel who pushed me in the pool!”

The Bridge:

A man was walking along a California beach and stumbled across an old lamp. He picked it up and rubbed it and out popped a genie!

The genie said, “OK. You released me from the lamp, blah, blah blah. This is the fourth time this month and I’m getting a little sick of these wishes. So you can forget about getting three wishes. You only get one wish.

The man sat down on the beach and thought about it for awhile.  Then he said, “I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii; but I’m scared to fly and I get very seasick. Could you build me a bridge to Hawaii so that I can drive over there to visit?”

The genie laughed and said, “That’s impossible! Think of the logistics of that! How would the supports ever reach the bottom of the Pacific? Think of how much concrete… how much steel…! No. Think of another wish.”

The man tried to think of another wish. Finally, he said, “I’ve been married and divorced several times. My wives always said that I don’t care and that I’m insensitive.

So I wish that I could understand women… know how they feel inside and what they’re thinking when they give me the silent treatment know why they’re crying…know what they really want when they

say, ‘Nothing’…know how to make them truly happy….”

The genie said, “You want that bridge two lanes or four?”

– ERIC VAN SOEST.

ROTARY INFORMATION

Children with congenital heart defects, such as this young patient, receive treatment from doctors at the Ukrainian Children’s Cardiac Center in Kyiv. The facility was founded by Dr. Illya Yemets, a charter member of the Rotary Club of Kyiv. It was the first project the club undertook, in 1992.

The way Olena Ichnatenko tells it, her daughter has two fathers – her birth father and the doctor who gave her a second chance at life at the Ukrainian Children’s Cardiac Center.

She was 10 days old when doctors operated to correct a congenital defect. Ichnatenko remembers the early days after her daughter was born in a different hospital: “We were told there that our child was dying and that is it.” Only after she took Yaroslava to the cardiac center did she feel a bit of hope for her daughter’s life. Yaroslava, who celebrated her ninth birthday this year, is one of the facility’s many success stories.

Dr. Illya Yemets, a charter member of the Rotary Club of Kyiv, founded the center in 2003, but its beginnings trace back to the 1990s, starting with a visit from Australian Rotarians led by Past District Governor Jack Olsson. They had stopped in Kyiv on a trip to develop exchanges in non-Rotary countries and learned of the need to train surgeons specializing in pediatric heart conditions. In 1991, Olsson arranged for Yemets to train at a children’s hospital in Sydney.

FULL STORY HERE

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

THE BUTTER FLY TREE CHARITY ZAMBIA

The Butterfly Tree Charity supports rural communities in Zambia decimated by the HIV and AIDS pandemic-providing safe water, safe feeding programmes, improved health and education facilities and an  ORPHAN SPONSORSHIP programme- all funds go directly to the cause and all of the members are volunteers.

A donation will make a huge difference to those who only need the essentials in life…

THE BUTTERFLY TREE CHARITY WEB SITE

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY CONCERT AT THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE

Sydney-Opera-House2
Where: The Sydney Opera House
When: 8pm, 2 June 2014
Price: $70

Experience an extraordinary performance at the famous Sydney Opera House with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. With its grand setting, gorgeous wooden panelling and cathedral‐like ambience, the world‐renowned Concert Hall is Sydney Opera House’s most prestigious and majestic space. Immerse yourself here, in a Classical‐Romantic Symphonic performance by this acclaimed 65‐piece orchestra. You will enjoy a performance to remember.

Details

Further details to be provided in the coming months

Inclusions

One ticket to the concert at the Sydney Opera House. Free transport provided using free public transport pass provided courtesy of NSW Government.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.