Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #17

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #17

OCTOBER IS VOCATIONAL SERVICES MONTH.

• Start a career counselling or vocational training programand invite non-Rotarian community members to attend.
  • Organise a discussion or workshop on workplace ethics and invite local non-Rotarian business leaders to attend.
  • Sponsor a career day in which club members bring young people to their places of business to inform them about career opportunities.
  • Nominate a member of your community for the District 9700 Vocational Service Excellence Award (nominations close with Peter Gissing on 31 October).

THE NEW ROTARY LOGO LAUNCHED on the 26 August 2013

MONDAY MEETING  28th. October 2013

AGM 2013.

Tonight we had our Annual General Meeting for 2013.  We had two guests Christine Lorraine and Richard Parker, a cousin of Dick Jennings.  We also had 15 members in attendance.   All round an excellent turn out for the AGM.

The AGM followed our regular meeting and we discussed several items including the Christmas push for our Shop Locally Campaign  with a marketing campaign.

President Dick Jennings sent our condolences to Sharon Reardon on the loss of her mother and the club sent flowers to Sharon.

Next Monday 4th November will be a regular meeting followed by the November board meeting.

Monday 11th November Col Paterson will be our guest speaker.

Ian Jennings had several of our members model the proposed new T shirts and business shirts for our club.

Good news from Neil Munro who is now home recovering from his recent operation, take it easy Neil!

All our members wished Garth and Marg Perkin a safe and enjoyable trip to India where Garth and Marg will be on an eye camp with Dr Alok Sharma assisting in the Darkness to Light project.

Garth Perkin in his Indian Shirt

THE AGM

We held our AGM immediately following the regular meeting and the following positions were filled for 2014-3015:

President Elect 2014-2015 Garth Perkin

President Elect Nominee 2015-2016 Wayne Lewis

Secretary Paul Weston

Treasurer Henk Hulsman

Club Administration Director Ian Jennings

Service Projects Director Wayne Lewis

Vocational Services Director Don Dyce

Membership Director Leslie Weston

Foundation Director John Glassford

International Services Director Ted Hutcheon

Youth Services Director Ian Durham

Public Relations Director Grahame Miles

Vice-President {Immediate Past President) Dick Jennings

S@A Dick Jennings and Christine Atkinson

Bulletin Editor and Web Master John Glassford and Paul Weston

Two special resolutions were passed to approve the changes to our Club Constitution and Club By-laws following the Rotary International Council On Legislation 2013 deliberations.

PP Paul Weston and Treasurer Henk Hulsman furnished their reports to be included in the annual audit and submission to the NSW Department of Fair Trade as required for our continued Incorporation.

Congratulations and thanks go to all who put their hands up to serve our club and community.

Diary Reminders

Monday 4th November regular Meeting followed by the November Board Meeting all members welcome to attend.

Saturday 9th November Rotary Club of  Cootamundra Bike Festival.

*Monday 11th November Guest Speaker Col Paterson from Coolamon on the Scarecrow Festival.

Thursday 14th November BINGO Henk Hulsman, Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Bernadette Milne.

Wednesday 27th November Music for Mates Meeting

Thursday 12th December BINGO Garth Perkin,  Miffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

Saturday January 25th Coolamon Street Raffle.

Thursday 13th February BINGO Dick Jennings, Rodney Jarrett, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd February PETS in Young

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Saturday 22nd March Music for Mates Concert in Coolamon.

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos.

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Rotary International President Ron Burton visited Malcolm Elliott, of the Rotary Club of Adelaide, South Australia. Malcolm has been the driving force — until he recently retired — behind the weekly 30-minute Voice of#Rotary program on Radio RPH in Adelaide and Sydney.

The president was the interviewee for the station’s 1,000th program.

Sydney is hosting the 2014 RI Convention (#ricon14) in June. Learn more at www.riconvention.org.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

An oldie but a good one.

The Light Bulb.

A doctor of psychology was doing his normal morning rounds when he entered a patient’s room.

He found Patient #1 sitting on the floor, pretending to saw a piece of wood in half.

Patient #2 was hanging from the ceiling, by his feet.

The doctor asked patient number 1 what he was doing.

The patient replied, “Can’t you see I’m sawing this piece of wood in half?”

The doctor inquired of Patient #1 what Patient #2 was doing.

Patient #1 replied, “Oh. He’s my friend, but he’s a little crazy. He thinks he’s a lightbulb.”

The doctor looks up and notices Patient #2’s face is going all red.

The doctor asks Patient #1, “If he’s your friend, you should get him down from there before he hurts himself”

Patient #1 replies, “What? And work in the dark?”

Farmer John

Farmer John lived on a quiet rural highway. But, as time went by, the trafic slowly built up at an alarming rate. The traffic was so heavy and so fast that his chickens were being run over at a rate of three to six a day.

So one day Farmer John called the sheriff’s office and said, “You’ve got to do something about all of these people driving so fast and killing all of my chickens.”

“What do you want me to do?” asked the sheriff. “I don’t care, just do something about those crazy drivers!” So the next day he had the county workers go out and erected a sign that said:

SLOW:

SCHOOL CROSSING

Three days later Farmer John called the sheriff and said, “You’ve got to do something about these drivers. The ‘school crossing’ sign seems to make them go even faster.” So, again, the sheriff sends out the county workers and they put up a new sign:

SLOW:

CHILDREN AT PLAY

That really sped them up. So Farmer John called and called and called every day for three weeks. Finally, he asked the sheriff, “Your signs are doing no good.. Can I put up my own sign?”

The sheriff told him, “Sure thing, put up your own sign..”

He was going to let the Farmer John do just about anything in order to get him to stop calling everyday to complain.

The sheriff got no more calls from Farmer John. Three weeks later, curiosity go the best of the sheriff and he decided to give Farmer John a call. “How’s the problem with those drivers.

Did you put up your sign?” “Oh, I sure did. And not one chicken has been killed since then. I’ve got to go. I’m very busy.”
He hung up the phone.

The sheriff was really curious now and he thought to himself, “I’d better go out there and take a look at that sign… it might be something that WE could use to slow down drivers…”

So the sheriff drove out to Farmer John’s house, and his jaw dropped the moment he saw the sign. It was spray-painted on a sheet of wood:

NUDIST COLONY

Go slow and watch out for chicks!!

ROTARY INFORMATION

Last Thursday was World polio day but for Rotarians it is world Polio Day every day!

Rotary’s chief role is fundraising, advocacy, and mobilizing volunteers. Other partners in the Global Polio Eradication Initiative are the World Health Organization, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Bill & Melinda Gates FoundationUnited Nations Foundation, and UNICEF, along with world governments.

Every dollar Rotary raises (up to US$35 million a year) will be matched 2-to-1 by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for polio eradication efforts through 2018.

ONLY IN AFRICA

Moving House African Style

OUT OF AFRICA

Multi tasking shopping, baby minding mango carrier.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

This week I received this email from one of the students in Mathare that we have sponsored.

“Hello,

I believe you are doing fine I have some good and bad news this time round.

I will start with the good one: I was able to see Tracy at her school and she is doing fine it was their career day and she wants to be a Lawyer or a Teacher.

I will send pictures of her through drop box.

The bad news: My house got burnt down on Saturday at around 1pm around here houses catch fire really fast and we lost most of our stuff though we were able to recover some before the angry fire destroyed everything. We thank God nobody died in the inferno or got injured we are currently staying with my uncle who lives around.

I will also send pictures of the place we used to call home which is now burnt down to ashes.

All for now
Your friend

Quinter

{Click on the thumb nail photos below to enlarge them}.

I intend to do something to help Quinter, her mother and brother.  Tracy, her sister we sponsor at the moment to a boarding high school in Kisumu.  This is also or was Tracy’s home.

The Rotary Club of Nairobi is going to advise us on what is needed to re house Quinter and her family.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

Register early for Sydney convention and save

Register early for the 2014 Rotary International Convention in  Sydney, Australia, 1-4 June, and pay US$100 less than the on-site  registration fee. Rotary’s annual convention is a wonderful way to experience the true internationality of Rotary, as you connect with leaders, exchange ideas, and get inspired to take action to benefit communities worldwide.

The programme Click to Enlarge:

THE INVITATION

Discover the stories, history and magic of Sydney Opera House with an incredible guided tour taking you underneath the world famous sails.

http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/whatson/soh_tour_english_2013.aspx

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

FOOT NOTE

SYDNEY ROTARY CLUB are having a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch, we should do the same!

On Tuesday 5th November, the Sydney Rotary Club will be starting off the Melbourne Cup Day celebrations with a Champagne Breakfast, a Calcutta and a Competition for the fanciest hat (male or female).

The Castlereagh Hotel will be serving a Grand Melbourne Cup Breakfast with an equine theme – Horseshoe Pastries, Flemington Fizz, and substantial cooked items to set you up for the day ahead.

This special Breakfast will be held on the 4th Floor Grand Dining Room of the Castlereagh Hotel (169 Castlereagh Street), commencing at 7:30am.  Cost for the delicious meal and drinks will be $40.00.

Please ensure you enter into the spirit of the day by dressing for the occasion – you could win one of the prizes. 

Judges for the best hats on the day, male and female, will be judged by Julie Fish and Bob Chen.

Please book online, or send an email.

Best wishes. 

Tony Benner, Communications Director,

Rotary Club of Sydney

Tel. 0407 366 140