Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #23

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #23

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OUR READERS.

DECEMBER IS ROTARY FAMILY MONTH.

INTERACT

Interact is a club for youth ages 12-18 who want to connect with others in their community or school. Interact club members have fun while carrying out service projects and learning about the world. Interact clubs organize at least two service projects a year: one that benefits their community and one that encourages international understanding. While Interact clubs receive guidance from individual Rotary clubs, they govern and support themselves.

HOW CAN PARTICIPATE IN INTERACT?

Follow Interact on Facebook and visit Interact’s YouTube channel to see what Interact clubs are doing around the world.

To find an Interact club in your area, contact your local Rotary club.

INTERACT

CHRISTMAS BINGO 2013

Grahame Miles reports on the best bingo night for 2013 with some 36 players yielding a profit of $580 thanks to all the volunteers who support bingo through the year.

MONDAY MEETING 16th December 2013

COOLAMON ROTARY CHRISTMAS PARTY

This year our Christmas Party was at Maree and President Dick Jennings’s property “Bradshaws”.  Maree and her helpers put on a great meal enjoyed by the 32 guests present including most of the 20 members of our club and their partners.

Thank you Maree and Dick for your generosity and hospitality.

A reminder to all our members that the first meeting for 2014 will be on Monday January the 20th in Coolamon.

Our club will be catering with our food van for the Coolamon New Year’s Eve party and volunteers will be needed to help.  Contact Paul Weston on (0429 318 570).  We’ll be setting up at 5:30 pm and packing up at 9:30 (after the fireworks).

Some photos from last night click on the thumb nail for a bigger photo:

Diary Reminders

Tuesday December 31st NYE Coolamon Street Party Rotary Van in action volunteers needed.

Monday 20th January Regular meeting followed by a board meeting.

Saturday January 25th Coolamon Street Raffle.

Monday 27th January NO MEETING. Australia Day Holiday.

Thursday 13th February BINGO Dick Jennings, Rodney Jarrett, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd February PETS in Young

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Saturday 22nd March Music for Mates Concert in Coolamon.

Saturday 19th April EASTER MARKETS in Coolamon.

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos.

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Nelson Mandela’s legacy of courage, determination, and commitment will forever inspire us to move forward in our effort to achieve a better, more peaceful world.

Mr. Mandela shared Rotary’s commitment to humanitarian service and world peace, and twice as President of South Africa accepted Rotary recognition for his commitment to helping those in need, especially the children of southern Africa. In 1995, President Mandela received the Rotary International Award of Honor. Two years later, he accepted Rotary’s highest award, the Rotary Award for World Understanding. In true fashion, he donated the $100,000 grant accompanying the award to the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund.

Rotary is especially grateful for his strong support of the global effort to eradicate the crippling disease polio, our organizaton’s highest priority. Mr. Mandela himself helped administer oral polio vaccine to the children of South Africa, which has been declared polio-free.

RI President Ron Burton.

NELSON MANDELA MADIBA

Nelson Mandela and Annie Lennox

Message from St Jude’s Moshono Tanzania.

We think President Obama put it perfectly when he said:

“We have lost one of the most influential, courageous, and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with on this Earth. He no longer belongs to us — he belongs to the ages.”

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Devil

One Sunday morning, Satan appeared before a small town congregation. Everyone started screaming and running for the front church door, trampling each other in a frantic effort to get away.

Soon, everyone was gone, except for an elderly gentleman who sat calmly. Satan walked up to the man and said, “Don’t you know who I am?”

The man replied, “Yep, sure do.”

Satan asked, “Aren’t you going to run?”

“Nope, sure ain’t,” said the man.

Perturbed, Satan asked, “Why aren’t you afraid of me?”

The man calmly replied, “Been married to your sister for over 48 years.”

Puns for Educated Minds

1. The fattest knight at King Arthur’s round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.

2. I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian .

3.   She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.

4.   A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class, because it was a weapon of math disruption.

5.   No matter how much you push the envelope, it’ll still be stationery.

6.  A dog gave birth to puppies near the road and was cited for littering.

7.  A grenade thrown into a kitchen in France would result in Linoleum Blownapart

8.  Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.

9. A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.

10. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

11.  Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

12.  Two hats were hanging on a hat rack in the hallway. One hat said to the other: ‘You stay here; I’ll go on a head.’

13.  I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

14.  A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said: ‘Keep off the Grass.’

15. The midget fortune-teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at large.

16. The soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.

17. A backward poet writes inverse.

18.  In a democracy it’s your vote that counts. In feudalism it’s your count that votes.

19.  When cannibals ate a missionary, they got a taste of religion.

20.   If you jumped off the bridge in Paris , you’d be in Seine .

21.   A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, ‘I’m sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger.’

22. Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and  says ‘Dam!’

23.  Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can’t have your kayak and heat it too.

24.   Two hydrogen atoms meet. One says, ‘I’ve lost my electron.’ The other says ‘Are you sure?’ The first replies, ‘Yes, I’m positive.’

25.   Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused Novocain during a root canal? His goal: transcend dental medication.

26.    There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope  that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.

ROTARY INFORMATION

THE LIVES OF MOTHERS

Mothers pose for a picture with their children, who were given the oral polio vaccine, during National Immunization Days in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.  {Photo Credit: Photo by Alyce Henson/Rotary International}

Mothers play a fundamental role in every culture. But depending on where a mother and baby live, they have a different chance of living or dying, suffering or thriving. In sub-Saharan Africa, one in 39 women will die of pregnancy-related complications, and one in nine children will die before age five. (In developed countries, the likelihood of dying drops to one in 4,700 women and one in 167 children.) Globally, 19,000 children die every day. The Rotary Foundation is working to improve maternal and child health around the world.

FULL STORY HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA

NRMA New South Wales African Style!

CHRISTMAS IN AFRICA

These make great presents for those who have nothing just a reflection on our times that we live in here in Australia.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

The Smith Family

1 in 10 Australian children suffer from the burden of disadvantage every day. Donate to the Smith Family’s Christmas Appeal to provide vital support so these kids can get the futures they deserve.

Jenny

The Smith Family Christmas Appeal 2013

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION 2014

SOME ATTRACTIONS IN AND AROUND SYDNEY

The Host Organising Committee for the Rotary International Convention 2014 looks forward to welcoming you to Sydney, Australia’s beautiful harbour city and host of the 2000 Olympic Games.

The Rotary International Convention 2014 will be held at Sydney Olympic Park from Sunday 1st June to Wednesday 4th June 2014. There will be plenty of exciting and interesting things going on during the Sydney Convention, only some of which will be at the convention itself. We invite you to get out and explore our wonderful city and experience our Aussie culture first hand. This section of our site will help you uncover what’s on in Sydney and around our island nation during the 2014 Sydney Convention.

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

The programme Click to Enlarge:

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION MONTREAL 2010

Here are some photos from Montreal 2010:

Can you name the 3 ladies in the above photo?

Click on the gallery below to enlarge the photo.

FOOT NOTE

Your bulletin editor wishes all who read this bulletin a very Happy Christmas and a Wonderful

What I do for a living:

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #22

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #22

NOVEMBER IS ROTARY FAMILY MONTH.

WHAT IS ROTARACT?

Rotaract is a club for adults ages 18-30 that meets twice a month to exchange ideas, plan activities and projects, and socialize. While Rotary clubs serve as sponsors, Rotaract clubs decide how to organize and run their club and what projects and activities to carry out.

Well done to the Rotaract Club of Abakaliki, Nigeria, who held a number of activities in March educating mothers and villagers about health practices that can prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS.

ROTARACT LEARN MORE

MONDAY MEETING 2nd December 2013

Attendance tonight was 12 members and we welcomed back Neil Munro after his recent surgery.  We had a short regular meeting followed by our December board meeting.  Our annual giving for the schools in our Shire starts this week and several members will be attending the respective end of year school presentations.

Christmas Party at “Bradshaws” on Dick and Maree’s property 6.30 pm on Monday 16th December.  RSVP Dick and Maree.  B.Y.O.and a salad.

ShelterBox result.   We raised a total of $3,730 enough for 3.5 ShelterBoxes for The Philippines typhoon.  This included one very generous donation for ONE ShelterBox from a local family who wish to remain anonymous.  The club has decided to donate a further 1.5 boxes to bring the total up to 5.

This was one of best efforts in a long time and goes to show that people will be generous in donating to causes such as the recent disaster in The Philippines.  Thanks go to all in our club who worked so hard on the two days.

In Ganmain Myffy Collette and Bernadette Milne.

In Coolamon Grahame Miles, Ian Durham and Ian Jennings.

Next Monday night 9th December there will be Part 2 of the Membership Think Tank.

Diary Reminders

Monday 9th December  Part 2 of the Membership Think Tank.

Thursday 12th December CHRISTMAS BINGO Garth Perkin,  Myffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

*Monday 16th December CHRISTMAS PARTY at President Dick and Maree’s home “Bradshaws”.

Monday 20th January Regular meeting followed by a board meeting.

Saturday January 25th Coolamon Street Raffle.

Monday 27th January NO MEETING. Australia Day Holiday.

Thursday 13th February BINGO Dick Jennings, Rodney Jarrett, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd February PETS in Young

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Saturday 22nd March Music for Mates Concert in Coolamon.

Saturday 19th April EASTER MARKETS in Coolamon.

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos.

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Images of Arch C. Klumph, 1916-17 RI president. In his speech to the 1917 Rotary convention in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Klumph proposed to set up an endowment “for the purpose of doing good in the world.” In 1928, it was renamed The #Rotary Foundation, and it became a distinct entity within Rotary International. Learn more at https://www.rotary.org/en/history-rotary-foundation.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Last Drink

There was this guy at a bar, just looking at his drink. He stays like that for half of an hour.

Then, this big trouble-making truck driver steps next to him, takes the drink from the guy, and just drinks it all down. The poor man starts crying. The truck driver says, “Come on man,

I was just joking. Here, I’ll buy you another drink. I just can’t stand to see a man cry.”

“No, it’s not that. This day is the worst of my life. First, I fall asleep, and I go late

to my office. My boss, outrageous, fires me. When I leave the building, to my car,

I found out it was stolen. The police said that they can do nothing. I get a cab to return home, and when I leave it, I remember I left my wallet and credit cards there. The cab driver just drives away.”

“I go home, and when I get there, I find my wife in bed with the gardener. I leave home, and come to this bar. And just when I was thinking about putting an end to my life, you show up and drink my poison.”

Blonde Bridge

A blonde and a redhead were watching the 6:00 news when a story came up about a man who was threatening to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge. The blonde bet the redhead that the man wouldn’t jump off the bridge and the readhead accepted.

Well, sure enough, the man jumped and so the blonde gave the redhead the 50 bucks. “I can’t take this, you’re my best friend.”

The blonde looked at her, “Just take it.”

“Well, I saw this on the 5;00 news, so I knew he was gonna jump off.”

The blonde laughed, “I did too, but I didn’t think he’d do it again.

ROTARY INFORMATION

WORLD AIDS DAY DECEMBER 1st.

Marion Bunch and PRIP  Jonathan Babatunde Majiyagbe and family in Bangkok 2012

The Board of Directors of Rotarians For Family Health & AIDS Prevention wants to honor all of those victims that died of AIDS over the past 30 years by saying that Rotarians are fully engaged in the fight against AIDS! We want to make a difference in the elimination of the HIV virus, and we are doing so through programs such as our ‘Rotary Family Health Days’ in Africa. Through this health event that occurs in multiple countries in Africa each year, we are testing and counseling hundreds of thousands of hard to reach citizens. We perform the program in the communities where the people live, and they come to this event because they trust the Rotary brand. We are working in a unique public/private partnership’ program that includes in-country governments, the U. S. government (CDC and USAID), and The Coca-Cola Company to provide massive free health care to the disadvantaged. For more information, please go to our website at www.rfha.org.

Marion Bunch,

Founder & CEO

Rotarians For Family Health & AIDS Prevention

ONLY IN AFRICA

In built heater African style.

OUT OF AFRICA

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

THE ORPHAN RESCUE KIT

• Have you ever been touched by an orphan?
  • Have you ever been in a slum where all semblance of humanity is all but gone?
  • Have you seen the devastation of AIDS on the most innocent of human beings?

Well 16 us Aussies went to Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa in August 2007 and we witnessed all of the above. We went to climb Africa’s highest mountain and to climb for 11 million reasons. That is the number of orphans now trying to survive in Sub-Saharan Africa. We visited the Mathare slums in Nairobi a place I remembered as a young man as the vegetable gardens of Nairobi City; it has become the “home” to 600,000 Kenyans with NO running water, NO toilets and NO hope. There are thousands of children here of which many are orphans. It is here that we will “build” the first O.R.K.s. here Hope World Wide and RFHA {Rotarians For Family Health & AIDS Prevention} will reach out to rescue the orphans of Mathare.

Hence the Orphan Rescue Kit. The O.R.K. is made up of the basic items that a child needs to survive and get ahead in life. The O.R.K. that you buy will be made up in the country where it is needed as in the case of Nairobi the materials will be sourced locally thus giving the people there a way to make a living from creating these Orphan Rescue Kits. So not only will you be saving an orphan you will be creating employment where it is needed most.

The money that we raise in this campaign will go directly to RFHA in the country where RFHA and Hope World Wide are working in partnership to rescue orphans and children that are at risk and vulnerable the ANCHOR Project. So your investment in a child’s life is well secured and you can be assured that 100% of the funds raised will go to where it is needed so desperately these days.

The photograph below shows what appalling conditions these children at risk live in.  In effect the playground is a rubbish tip.

THE ORK WEB SITE

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION 2014

SOME ATTRACTIONS IN AND AROUND SYDNEY

REGISTER BY DECEMBER 15th. TO SAVE $100.

The Host Organising Committee for the Rotary International Convention 2014 looks forward to welcoming you to Sydney, Australia’s beautiful harbour city and host of the 2000 Olympic Games.

The Rotary International Convention 2014 will be held at Sydney Olympic Park from Sunday 1st June to Wednesday 4th June 2014. There will be plenty of exciting and interesting things going on during the Sydney Convention, only some of which will be at the convention itself. We invite you to get out and explore our wonderful city and experience our Aussie culture first hand. This section of our site will help you uncover what’s on in Sydney and around our island nation during the 2014 Sydney Convention.

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

Register early for Sydney convention and save

Register early for the 2014 Rotary International Convention in  Sydney, Australia, 1-4 June, and pay US$100 less than the on-site  registration fee. Rotary’s annual convention is a wonderful way to experience the true internationality of Rotary, as you connect with leaders, exchange ideas, and get inspired to take action to benefit communities worldwide.

The programme Click to Enlarge:

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION MONTREAL 2010

Here are some photos from Montreal 2010:

Can you name the 3 ladies in the above photo?

Click on the gallery below to enlarge the photo.

FOOT NOTE

SHELTERBOX LATEST NEWS

Latest photos from The Philippines and the ShelterBox deployment last week.
The ShelterBox community has united across the world to help the thousands of families made homeless by the recent destructive Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.

ShelterBox Australia in The Philippines

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#