Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #22

CHRISTMAS EDITION 2015

12241565_729116107189164_2201462595516697604_n

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM PRESIDENT WAYNE LEWIS AND ALL OF OUR MEMBERS!

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #22

Be a Gift to the World

DECEMBER IS DISEASE PREVENTION & TREATMENT MONTH.

December

This is one of the Rotary Foundation’s 6 areas of focus.  It is through these programmes that clubs can get global grants to support various programmes that qualify.

One such Rotarian Action Group RFHA was RFFA does remarkable work by providing Rotary Family Health Days in Africa.  RFHA founded and headed up by Marion Bunch has no reached over 1 million people in three countries in Africa with this programme which is supported by our Foundation as well as several partners including the Centre for Disease Control based in Atlanta.  There are several corporate bodies such as Delta Airlines and the Coca Coal Africa Foundation that also support RFHA.

All as a result of one women and her Board of Directors.  Marion Bunch started RFHA in 2005 after her son Jerry died as a result of getting the AIDS virus through blood transfusions. Marion has been a tireless worker for Africa and her legacy will live on in those lives she saved.

RFFA Board Meeting June 2010

The RFHA Board 2010 in Montreal. 

Right to left Len Lanzi COO Los Angeles, PDG Mark Doyle South Africa, PRID Paul Netzel USA,  and current Vice Chair of the Foundation, CEO & Founder Marion Bunch, Atlanta, PRIVP Mike McGovern USA and current RI Polio Plus Chair, PDG Olugbemiga Olowu Nigeria and John Glassford Coolamon.

RFHA Web Site.

CHRISTMAS PARTY 2015

Our last meeting for the year was our Annual Christmas Party held this year at PP Marg and PP Garth Perkins’ home “Rands Tank” Coolamon.  38 members and guests were present a wonderful turn out.

President Wayne Lewis made everyone welcome with a very short speech!  There was some excellent fellowship and old friends as well as new friends enjoyed the Christmas feast organised by Helen Lewis and supported by Marg Perkin among others.  Thank you Helen and thanks to you Marg.  Thanks also to Garth Perkin for the chairs and tables.

Some photos from the party, click on the thumb nails for a larger photo:

Xmas 01Xmas 02 Xmas 03 Xmas 04 Xmas 05 Xmas 06 Xmas 07 Xmas 08 Xmas 09

Diary Reminders

Monday 14th December New Year’s Eve Committee Meeting at the Club at 7.00 pm.

Thursday 31st December NYE in Coolamon.

Monday 18th January 2016 FIRST Meeting for 2016.  Details to be advised it will be a social gathering. 

Monday 25th January Normal Meeting.

Tuesday 26th January AUSTRALIA Day at Marrar Public School from 8.00 am 

Monday 8th February Normal Meeting Speaker TBA.

Tuesday 9th February Board Meeting at the Club (No dinner).

BINGO: February 11th 2016 Neil Munro (Capt) Wayne Lewis, Ted Hutcheon, Dick Jennings.

*Monday 29th February Joint Vocational Service Meeting with WW Sunrise in Ganmain at Huff ‘n’ Puff Constructions.

Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th April 2016 D9700 Conference in Wagga Wagga.

Saturday 28th May 2016 – Wednesday June 1st Seoul RICON South Korea  Seoul 2016

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Snowman

“Weeweechu”

It’s a romantic full moon, when Pedro said, “Hey, mamacita, let’s do Weeweechu.”

Oh no, not now, let’s look at the moon!” said Rosita.

Oh, c’mon baby, let’s you and I do Weeweechu. I love you and it’s the perfect time,” Pedro begged.

“But I wanna just hold your hand and watch the moon.” replied Rosita.

Please, corazoncito, just once, do Weeweechu with me.”

Rosita looked at Pedro and said, “OK, one time, we’ll do Weeweechu.”

Pedro grabbed his guitar and they both sang…..

“Weeweechu a Merry Christmas, Weeweechu a Merry Christmas, Weeweechu a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.”

Czar Rudolph

There was once a great czar in Russia named Rudolph the Red. He stood looking out the windows of is palace one day while his wife, the Czarina Katerina, sat nearby knitting. He turned to her and said, “Look my dear, it has begun to rain!” Without even looking up from her knitting she replied, “It’s too cold to rain. It must be sleeting.” The Czar shook his head and said, “I am the Czar of all the Russias, and Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear!”

Proof that Jesus was Australian:

• He wore thongs.
  • He was a chippy, who like all good union members didn’t work on Sundays.
  • His favourite past times were fishing, camping, going 4-wheel donkeying, and most of his mates were fishermen.
  • He seemed to know a lot of prostitutes.
  • His mates all had nicknames: The Rock, The Doubter, Simon Peter, The Baptist, so on and so forth.
  • The only time he went to church as a young bloke he got into a fight.
  • He was a champion surfer, it was like he could walk on water.
  • He did a mean barbeque, 5000 people rock up, no worries, throw a few fresh caught fish on the barbie, some buns and a bit of mum’s potato salad (it’s in the Gospel of Thomas, trust me) and bob’s your uncle.
  • No one is exactly sure where he was earning his quid from but he had a mate in the tax office so it was all sweet.
  • And to top it all off, he turned water into alcohol and if that isn’t an Australian miracle I don’t know what is!

frosty

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT

Ravi

K.R. “RAVI” RAVINDRAN

Give

Rotary is improving the lives of mothers and children around the world. We can accomplish even more with your help. Give a gift that matters on  #GivingTuesday by giving the gift of Rotary:

GIVE THIS CHRISTMAS

DISTRICT GOVERNOR GARY ROBERTS D 9700

GR 01

DG Gary and Family

Happy Christmas to our DG Gary Roberts and Marilyn Roberts and all of their family.
Half way!

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

HOUT BAY ROTARY CLUB OUR TWIN CENTENNIAL CLUB 2005

Bay Breezes December 2015

PP Butch Liebenberg receives his PHF + Sapphire from Coolamon RC.

Butch Sapphire Pin

HOUT BAY CHRISTMAS PARTY

Hout Bay 01 Hout Bay 02 Hout Bay 03 Hout Bay 04 Hout Bay 05 Hout Bay

To all our friends at Hout Bay Rotary Club have a wonderful Christmas and a top 2016 in service for Hout Bay and beyond.  We have made many friends in Hout Bay over the years since 2004, too many to mention here.  Several of us from Coolamon Rotary have now visited Hout Bay, and we hope that the SA Rand will come back one day so that you can visit us in Coolamon!

In the mean time our thoughts are with you always as you do some amazing work for those who need it most in your area.  We are very proud of Coolamon House and will always be indebted to you for the hard work you put in to make it all work.

Thanks again for the wonderful hospitality you gave the Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day 2015 Team when we visited you in May this year, it was UNIQUE, only in Hout Bay, and never forgotten!

This is for Hout Bay Rotarians ONLY.  You know that I do not discuss politics but I could not help but post this one for you guys, it comes from your PP John Routley:

Zuma Trumps

Zuma comes up Trumps!

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

THE REALITY.

Rhino Wars: Hunting Poachers In Kruger National Park:

THE VATICAN DOES THEIR BIT FOR ENDANGERED SPECIES:

Lion Vatican

Pandas, fish, and leopards covered the storied walls of the Vatican for three hours on Tuesday, in an effort by humanitarian groups to bring attention to the ongoing Paris Climate Talks, and to recognize Pope Francis for his recent encyclical on environmental protection.

View the gallery here:

Vatican

As Chair of the Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES I invite you to join me in 2016 as we move forward creating action for the voiceless on our planet.  Please start by joining the RAG below and membership is free.  We will have a booth and a break out session in Seoul at the 2016 RICON in late May.

One of the easiest ways to help right now is to support the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Nairobi by sponsoring an orphan elephant:

DSWT

Find out who we are talking about and how you can help her this holiday season at:

DSWT GIFT SHOP

RAG-EndangeredSpecies_Standard logo (1)

RAGES WEB SITE

JOIN RAGES HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA

Requested by Dick and Marie Jennings. African humour at it’s best!

African Xmas

Santa is on his way from the Namibian Desert right now.

FOOTNOTE

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OUR READERS ENJOY THE MUSIC BELOW.

IT COMES FROM TANZANIA.

African Santa

Well? What did you expect?

Next bulletin in the New Year have a safe holiday and see you in 2016.

Lady Gaga live at Baku 2015 European Games Opening Ceremony.

Last word for 2015 by Lady Gaga and our wish for 2016!

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2014 -2016

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species
Don’t  forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran

Governor of District 9700 Gary Roberts

Coolamon Club President  Wayne Lewis

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #21

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #21

Be a Gift to the World

NOVEMBER IS ROTARY FOUNDATION MONTH.

TRF_RGB

Poloio

The Rotary Foundation has been recognised by CNBC as one of the top 10 charities changing the world in 2015.

The Rotary Foundation is Rotary’s own global charity, tackling challenges such as poverty, illiteracy and polio eradication.

Did you know, since Rotary committed to polio eradication in 1985, over 2.5 billion children around the world have been vaccinated against the disease.

The Foundation also does lots of work in Great Britain and Ireland, and if you’re interested in volunteering your time and talents, check out our website:http://www.rotarygbi.org/about-us/charity-work/

You can also read the whole top 10 here:http://cnb.cx/1NoAEkt

MEETING MONDAY NOVEMBER 30th. 2015

Meeting

Thomas Grahame and Ben Dalgarno-Fixter being thanked by Steve Exton following their talks on their engineering studies at Woolongong University.

Rotary Meeting 30th November 2015
Attendance 18
Meeting was chaired by PP Garth Perkin.
Guests: Marilyn Jennings, Tom Graham and Ben Dalgarno-Fixter.
Our guest speakers were past participants of the Rotary Summer Science School and they thanked the club for making it possible for them to attend. Tom has just completed the first year of a double degree in Engineering and Commerce at Wollongong University and attributes his academic direction to his participation in the Summer Science School.
Ben has just completed year 12 at Coolamon Central School and has early entry into Wollongong University and a University scholarship to study Engineering, and likewise attributes his career direction to the Summer Science School.  It is interesting to note that Tom’s mother Jodie and aunt were past participants in Rotary’s NZ Twin Exchange Program. Ben’s father Barney Dalgarno is an ex member of our Club. We wish Tom and Ben well in their career choice.
Ben and Tom were given a vote of thanks by Rotarian Steve Exton.
Sergeant at Arms, Ted Hutcheon, gave a witty fine session followed by the drawing of the raffle won by Henk Hulsman.

Ian Jennings Reporter Ian Durham photographer.

Diary Reminders

Saturday 5th December Ganmain Twilight Markets 3.30 pm-8.00 pm.

Ganmain Markets

BINGO Roster:  December 10th Paul Weston (Capt) Trevor Parkes, Ian Jennings, Leslie Weston.

Monday 7th December Last meeting before the Christmas Party and the holiday break.

*Saturday December 12th Annual Christmas party at Marg and Garth Perkins’ Home.

*Monday 29th February Joint Vocational Service Meeting with WW Sunrise in Ganmain at Huff ‘n’ Puff Constructions.

Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th April 2016 D9700 Conference in Wagga Wagga.

Saturday 28th May 2016 – Wednesday June 1st Seoul RICON South Korea  Seoul 2016

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

405405_10150443815431299_1142235933_n

A NICE OUTING

A farmer and his pig were driving down the road when a cop pulled him over. The cop asked the farmer, “Didn’t you know it is against the law to ride with a pig in the front of your truck?”

The farmer replied, “No, I didn’t know that.”

The cop asked the farmer where he was going, and he said, “To Memphis.”

The cop said, “I will let you off the hook this time if you promise to take the pig to the zoo when you get to Memphis.”

So the farmer promised he would.

Several days later the cop spotted the farmer with the pig driving down the road and pulled him over again. The cop said, “I thought I told you to take this pig to the zoo when you got to Memphis.”

And to this the farmer replied, “I did, and we had so much fun, I’m taking him to the circus.”

10003250_699689770069081_1266715677_n

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT

Ravi

K.R. “RAVI” RAVINDRAN

In my presidential message for December, I share a historical story that I hope will remind you all to continue being a Gift to the World during this season of giving.

DECEMBER 2015

When the Canadian army liberated the Netherlands in 1945, they found the country on the brink of starvation. Seeing the suffering of so many, and especially moved by the faces of the children, four Canadian privates stationed near Apeldoorn that year decided to make that Christmas special for as many Dutch children as they could.

Together, they made the rounds among their fellow soldiers, collecting chocolate bars and chewing gum, candy and comic books. In their spare moments, they built toy trucks out of wood and wire, sawed scrap lumber for building blocks; one, risking the military police, sold his cigarette ration on the black market, using the money to buy rag dolls. Each thought longingly of his own family at home; each channeled his energies instead toward the children whose Christmas they knew they could brighten.

FULL STORY HERE.

DISTRICT GOVERNOR GARY ROBERTS D 9700

GR 01

Australia will commit a further $72 million to the campaign to eradicate polio, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has joined other Commonwealth leaders and UN chief Ban Ki-Moon in committing to the eradication of polio.

At the Commonwealth leaders’ meeting in Malta on Saturday Mr Turnbull said he was disappointed the crippling disease had not yet been wiped out but Australia remained committed to doing that.

He said Australia was putting in another $72 million to the eradication effort – $36 million to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative and another $36 million to the World Bank to support vaccination programs in countries where polio had been eradicated to ensure it did not return.

Polio 2

photo by Jon Deisher Anchorage RC.

Last February, took this photo of a post-polio man who probably had polio 15 or more years ago … he’s been crawling and begging ever since. This is what we are working to avoid, prevent and the disease we work to eradicate. However, the post-polio victims (called “crawlers” in Africa and S. Central Asia) will need help for decades to come.

Rotary Club of Young Exchange Student Emily from Germany.

Excgange Young 1
 Excgange Young 2
 Emily our exchange student from Germany gave her wonderfully informative presentation. Emily arrived here on the 5th of August and is now in year 12. She has had many experiences and shared these as well as the differences between here and Germany. Thank you Emily for sharing your experiences with us.

District 9700 Web Site

ROTARY INFORMATION

AIDS TRAINING BRINGS LIFE TO LIBERIAN COMMUNITIES

AIDS

Health care workers in Liberia attend a workshop conducted by Rotary members on new techniques for treating pregnant women with HIV/AIDS.
Rich Casey

The impact of an HIV/AIDS vocational training project in Liberia can be assessed by the ultimate measure: life itself.

“There are children of HIV mothers living today who would not have seen their first birthdays [without the training],” says Elizabeth Mulbah, a member of the Rotary Club of Sinkor, Montserrado County, Monrovia, who delivered a lecture for health care providers about HIV/AIDS during the vocational training team’s five-day workshop in 2012.

The goal of the team — comprised of individuals from the in California, USA; the Rotary Club of Sinkor; St. Joseph’s Catholic Hospital in Monrovia; Global Strategies for HIV Prevention, and the Center for HIV Information at the University of California, San Francisco — was to increase maternal HIV/AIDS services and to improve the quality of care in Liberian clinics.

Nearly 60 health care workers in Montserrado and neighboring Bomi counties learned techniques to prevent mother-child transmission of HIV and to improve their ability to diagnose and treat infected women. They also were taught how to pass along the information to other health care workers.

Now, a Rotary Foundation global grant is facilitating an expansion of the project to other parts of Liberia.

Seoul

SEOUL RICON 2016

As a past convention attendee, you know each convention is special. I attended my first convention nearly 30 years ago in Las Vegas, and they get better and better each year. Like you, I enjoy seeing old friends, making new ones and sharing my passion for Rotary. The Seoul convention 28 May–1 June, 2016 is sure to be the best yet.
I personally invite you to join me in Seoul, to connect with new friends and new ideas, and be inspired to “Be a Gift to the World.”

Remember to take advantage of early registration savings by 15 December and register today.

See you in Seoul!

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

Join the Campaign to Save Vietnam’s Pangolins from Extinction

Vietnam-pangolin-01-500x400

Full Story Here

Rotary Pangolin Talk 24.11.15

Dear Mr Glassford,

I hope you don’t mind me contacting you. I am a researcher at the University of Reading in the UK and my area of interest is the wildlife trade, and in particular, the trafficking of the pangolin, a small scaly mammal that most people have never even heard of. I came across RAGES recently and thought it was a very positive action group and I got excited at the prospect of Rotarians working worldwide in support of conservation. I particularly loved your recent ‘Say No’ poster campaign.
Earlier this week, I was invited to give a talk to the Reading Rotary Club (50 members) about my research and pangolin conservation in general and the result was extremely positive. Most of the members had not heard of RAGES and were very keen to sign up. They asked me how they would go about this and I said I would follow it up. One of the members present was the head of the international division and said he would arrange a meeting in the New Year to discuss possibilities but I also thought I would get the initial ball rolling with an email to you.
Trica Burgess
Conservation Research Scientist and Lecturer
The University of Reading

RAG-EndangeredSpecies_Standard logo (1)

RAGES WEB SITE

JOIN RAGES HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA

Africa Tyre

Not photo shopped!

FOOTNOTE

ROTARY MAKE UPS

When I travel I make up a missed meeting at my home club by visiting other clubs when we are on the road.

Last week I made up at the Rotary Club of Yankalilla near Adelaide.  This is a small club with 8 members however they do some wonderful work.  They are also a very friendly mob!!!

Yankalilla

PP Don Law and Billy Peel the brains and muscle behind the Yankalilla Cruise.

Some photos from this year’s cruise:

Yankalilla 6

Billy’s latest restoration.

Yankalilla 1Yankalilla 2Yankalilla 3Yankalilla 5

Their Facebook Page:

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2014 -2016

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species
Don’t  forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran

Governor of District 9700 Gary Roberts

Coolamon Club President  Wayne Lewis

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#