Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #16

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #16

COOLAMON AND GANMAIN HOSPITAL FETE

Well we volunteered for the chocolate wheel again this year for our annual hospital fete.  We came and we worked but it was hard going due to the lack of numbers this year.  Maybe a sign of the times but we found it hard to sell the tickets required to run this fund raising part of the hospital this year.

On hand were Ian Durham, Dick Jennings, Ian Jennings, John Glassford, Paul Weston and Leslie Weston.  Clare Munro also kindly volunteered but her services were not required.  Anyhow here are some photos from Saturday morning in Coolamon.  The morning teas were delicious!  Click on the photos for a larger image please.

MEETING October 22nd. 2012

‘How to do Business in the Online Marketplace’ workshop hosted by Web 123. Natasha Vanzetti was the presenter ably assisted by Nicola Bell from Tilma Management.  We attracted some 41 participants and the consensus was that it was well run with some excellent information provided by Natasaha.  Coolamon Rotary and The Coolamon Shire Council sponsored the workshop.

Some notable statements made included:

• 97% of potential customers research you before they call or contact you via email.
  • Email is a basic requirement in conducting business today.
  • In retail it is essential to deliver exceptional customer service.
  • Build a long term business relationship so keep your web site dynamic and up to date.
  • Facebook is word of mouth on steroids.

In setting up your web site Natasaha said that:

• Profile your ideal client and build the web site to suit their needs.
  • Ask yourself what is your web site doing?
  • What information are your clients looking for?
  • Put your contact details in the top right hand corner of your web site.
  • You need to look at what your key words are for search engines.

Here are some photos from Monday night’s workshop:

Just some of those who attended the workshop just click on the image to get a larger version.

PRESIDENT PAUL WESTON’S REPORT

Another landmark event was held on Monday at the Coolamon Sport and Rec Club.  The Rotary Club of Coolamon and the Coolamon Shire Council jointly sponsored a digital marketing workshop designed to promote electronic media to small businesses in the shire.  Natasha Vanzetti, a partner with web design firm Web123 out of Wagga, presented an hour-long presentation on the imperative for small businesses to establish a presence on the web and the importance of social media for building up and keeping a customer base.  Loads of practical advice along with an extensive question and answer period after dinner, mixed in with plenty of time for fellowship, made for a full and information-packed evening.

It was hard to clear out the last of the participants what with all the lengthy after-dinner conversation, and even Dick Jennings, one of the last remaining Luddites in the club, had a hard time tearing himself away.  Who knows, you might even get an e-mail message from Dick one of these days!  It’s clear that the topic was of great interest to a good cross-section of small businesses across the shire (from Marrar to Ganmain, and Ardlethan to Coolamon), judging from the lively conversation during the dinner break and afterwards.  Thanks go to Coolamon Shire Council for co-sponsoring this event with us and to Linda Tillman for lining up the speaker.  The event will enhance our efforts to boost small businesses in the shire via our “Shop Locally/Be a Shire Buyer” campaign.

Several of us (Ian Durham, John Glassford, Dick Jennings, Ian Jennings, Leslie Weston and I) ran the chocolate wheel at the hospital fête on Saturday morning, and helped raise over $500 for the hospital (courtesy of donated gifts for the wheel), despite the low turnout at the event.

Don’t forget the social evening planned for this coming Monday.  Because it’s the fifth Monday of the month, we’ll be dispensing with our regular meeting and instead will have a purely social gathering and meal at the home of Ian and Marilyn Jennings.  Please let Ian or Marilyn know if you’re planning to attend.  You’ll find details elsewhere in this bulletin.

That’s all for now.

Onward and upward!

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

*Monday 29th October Social Night at Marilyn and Ian Jennings home. Start 6.30 for 7.00 pm and  BYO please. Please call Ian or Marilyn on 0428 492 157 or home on 6927 3390.

*Monday 5th November Guest Speaker Georgie Roberts from the Red Cross.

Thursday 8th November:    BINGO on duty:   John Burns,  Henk Hulsman,  Leslie Weston & Paul Weston

Monday 12th November AGM and Election of Office Bearers for 2013-2014.

Monday 19th November Ian Durham Speaker on his journey of life.

Sunday November 25th Rotary Markets in Coolamon.

Peace Ceremony in Coolamon February 2013

Friday 19th to Sunday 21st April 2013 D9700 Conference Leeton

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon. RI Convention Lisbon

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

Traveling around the world during September I visited many wonderful places and I met countless Rotarians truly dedicated to achieving Peace Through Service. To learn more about the great things happening in the Rotary world, I invite you to read my blog. And thank you for visiting this page.http://bit.ly/T3aoj9

9月の各国訪問では、訪れる先々で奉仕を通じて平和を築いている大勢の素晴らしい方々と出会いました。9月の出来事をつづったブログをご覧ください。 http://bit.ly/QBZ79w

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Old Man

“Look at ME!” boasted the fit old man to a group of young people. “Every morning I do fifty push-ups, fifty sit-ups, and walk two miles. I’m fit as a fiddle! And you want to know why? I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, I don’t stay up late, and I don’t chase after women!”

He smiled at them, teeth white, eyes glittering, “And tomorrow, I’m going to celebrate my 95th birthday!”

“Oh, really?” drawled one of the young onlookers, “How?”

Another Night on the Town

An angry wife was complaining about her husband spending all his time at the pub, so one night he took her along.
“What’ll ya have?” he asked.
“Oh, I don’t know. The same as you I suppose,” she replied.
So the husband ordered a couple of Jack Daniel’s and threw his down in one go. His wife watched him, then took a sip from her glass and immediately spat it out.
“Yuck, that’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tasted!” she spluttered. “I don’t know how you can drink this stuff!”
“Well, there you go,” cried the husband. “And you think I’m out enjoying myself every night!”

The Drip

Jake was dying. His wife sat at the bedside. He looked up and said weakly: “I have something I must confess.” “There’s no need to, ” his wife replied. “No,” he insisted, “I want to die in peace. I slept with your sister, your best friend, her best friend, and your mother!” “I know,” she replied, ” now just rest and let the poison work.”

{Thanks to Tom Telfer from ROTI and the Rotary Club of London North, London, Ontario, Canada}.

ROTARY INFORMATION

WORLD POLIO DAY OCTOBER 24th. 2012

World Polio Day is October 24 and Rotary International is using social media to make your voice even stronger. Rotary created a page on the social media service Thunderclap,which enables supporters to sign up to share a single message through their social media accounts. The message will go out at a designated date and time to amplify the voice of our cause.

“It’s World Polio Day & I’m adding my support to end this disease. Join #Rotary in making history. #endpolio:  http://thndr.it/VRtT3i

Rotarians are getting ready to launch events linked to World Polio Day, 24 October, in support of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative.

Led by RI President Sakuji Tanaka, International PolioPlus Committee Chair Robert Scott, and Rotary Foundation Trustee Stephanie Urchick, delegates to the Rotary institute for zones 24-32 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, will take part in a downtown walk and rally on 19 October. One hundred of the participants will carry signs bearing the End Polio Now message.

For more information about polio, visit:  www.endpolio.org.

Polio Victim Kampala Uganda December 2011

BUCKET LIST

Bucket List Aurora Borealis, Canada

TOO CUTE

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Governor of District 9700  Greg Brown

Coolamon Club President  Paul Weston

Coolamon Club Secretary  John Glassford Coolamon

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Rotarians For Fighting AIDS AUSTRALIA: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

World Polio Day October 24th 2012

A good day for Rotarians to donate to the Polio Plus campaign.

Click on the End Polio Now logo above for the full story and to donate.

There is a US$945 million funding gap in the fight to end polio. What’s the impact? Campaigns in 33 countries will be cancelled and 94 million children won’t receive the polio vaccine.

We need your help! Send a message to world leaders to fund the fight to end polio at:

http://www.endpolio.org/advocacy

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #15

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #15

MEETING October 15th. 2012

Speakers Tonight were PDG Fred Loneragan and John Glassford

Subject Road MAPS to Africa.

We had the following visitors:  From Junee Rotary Club Peter Commens, John Higginson, Ian Good, Doug Bell, from Henty Rotary Club, Ron Wellington, Mark Janetzki, from Lockhart Rotary Club, Bob “Babu” Kendell, Alan Mulholland, Bryan Burgess, Colin Wiese, Bob Toose and from Wagga Wagga Sunrise Rotary Club, Max Chapman and PDG Fred Loneragan.  From Italy Enrico and Ricardo and from Ganmain Susan Wingate-Pearse.

Ten members from our club were also in attendance, Paul Weston, Henk Hulsman, John Glassford, Mark Reardon, Dick Jennings, Christine Atkinson, Ian Jennings, John Burns, Neil Munro and Ian Durham.

Dick Jennings ran a chook raffle and there were two chooks on offer.

The presentation on Africa was in three parts showing where we had been where we are today and where we are going tomorrow.  To date Road MAPS and District 9700 with PDG Fred Loneragan has raised $238,000 for our projects there.  These include:

The School of St Jude’s in Moshono Tanzania.

Bishop Masereka’s Medical Clinic in Kasase Uganda

Orphan Rescue in Mathare Kenya

Coolamon House in Hout Bay South Africa.

The presentation concentrated on sustainability and the two main projects we will be supporting over the next three years, Orphan Rescue Kits for Mathare and Tracy’s 200 and Coolamon House in Cape Town.   The 3 year plan for awareness and fund raising will be centered on World AIDS Day December 1st for the next 3 years:

The Lunch Bag

Fred and John then went onto outline the project planned for ANZAC Day 2015 climbing Mount Kenya in aid of Legacy in Australia, the Returned Services Association in New Zealand and our two African projects.  More information will become avialable over the next few months.

PRESIDENT PAUL WESTON’S REPORT

President’s report

This past Monday, the club and our many guests were treated to a very interesting presentation and a challenge by John Glassford and Fred Lonergan.  John and Fred described progress to date on the “Roadmaps to Africa” fundraising campaign spearheaded by John and fabulously supported by Fred and the Rotary Foundation.  To date, $238,000 has been raised by their efforts, centred on climbs of notable mountain peaks in Africa (e.g. Mount Kilimanjaro and Mountains of the Moon/Mount Margherita).  The funds have been used to support programs aimed at easing life for the millions of AIDS orphans in Africa, children who have had the misfortune of being born into families whose parents have been victims of the AIDS epidemic.  Pretty remarkable stuff.

Now the challenge: to raise funds to provide educational opportunities for 200 of these AIDS orphans.  John and Fred described how $450 can provide the funds needed to send one of these children through primary school ($600 for secondary school).  The focus on education is plain: without education, these children have virtually no opportunity to escape the fate that befell their parents.  However, a very modest monetary investment provides these children with a sound education that will give them the footing to lead productive lives.  This investment in education began with one 14-year old girl (Tracy), and now the challenge is to raise funds for 200 of Tracy’s contemporaries to provide similar opportunities for them.  The starting point in this fund-raiser is to have people sacrifice their lunch money for one day (AIDS awareness day, coming up in December).  Small donations such as this can add up to substantial sums, so John and Fred hope a fair bit of the funding for this challenge will be raised this way.  Of course, individuals and groups can sponsor a child in whole.  Look for details on this program in the very near future.  It was inspiring to see how much of  a difference a few people working together can make; hats off to John, Fred, Craig Corrigan (who climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro), Mark Janetzki of Henty Rotary (who climbed Mt. Margherita), and the other climbers who sacrificed time and money to make this possible.

Our next meeting features a workshop for the owners and operators of businesses in the Coolamon Shire who are interested in learning how to enhance their businesses via electronic media.  This digital marketing workshop will be run by a firm based in Wagga, and will show businesspeople how to use the internet and social media to increase their customer base and profitability.  The cost of the workshop is being shared by our club and the Coolamon Shire Council in order to encourage business owners and operators to learn about this increasingly important avenue of communication with existing and potential customers.  Members of our club are welcome to attend for the usual cost of a dinner catered by Gilbert ($20).

Things keep rolling along, so don’t sit on the sidelines for too long!  I hope to see you at the digital marketing workshop.  The following week, being a fifth Monday, will be purely an opportunity for fellowship (a dinner hosted by Ian and Marilyn Jennings), so save that date as well.

Onward and upward!

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

Saturday October 20th Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital Fete 9.00am at the hospital grounds, volunteers needed for the chocolate wheel.

Volunteers so far Clare Munro, Ian Durham, Dick Jennings, Ian Jennings, Mark Reardon, Paul Weston and John Glassford.

*Monday 22nd October WORKSHOP for Coolamon Shire Business people on how to use the Internet for marketing your business facilitated by Linda Tillman and sponsored by Coolamon Rotary and the Coolamon Shire Council.

*Monday 29th October Social Night at Marilyn and Ian Jennings home. Names to Dick Jennings start 6.30 for 7.00pm.  BYO please.

Thursday 8th November:    BINGO on duty:   John Burns,  Henk Hulsman,  Leslie Weston & Paul Weston
Monday 19th November Ian Durham Speaker on his journey of life.

So successful was my attendance of a Rotary club meeting via Skype that invitations for me to attend other online meetings continue pouring in. All requests for online meetings must be in writing and emailed to: [email protected]. Please include your club’s name, address, and a member’s contact information.
Visiting Rotary clubs and projects around the world is a big part of my job as president. So if  I’m unable to visit your club in person I would really enjoy participating in one of your meetings via Skype. I look forward to hearing from you, and thank you for your interest.

Rotary International President via Skype

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Three Indian Squaws

There were three Indian squaws. One slept on a deer skin, one slept
on an elk skin, and the third slept on a hippopotamus skin. All three
became pregnant. The first two each had a baby boy. The one who
slept on the hippopotamus skin had twin boys. This just goes to prove
that the squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws
of the other two hides. (Some of you may need help with this one).

“Parachuting”

A blind man was describing his favorite sport of parachuting. When asked how this was accomplished, he said that things were all done for him.
“I am placed in the door and told when to jump. My hand is placed on my release ring for me and out I go.”
“But, how do you know when you are going to land”? he was asked.  “I have a very keen sense of smell and I can smell the trees and grass when I am 300 feet from the ground,” he answered.
“But, how do you know when to lift your legs for the final arrival on the ground”? he was again asked.  The man quickly answered,
“Oh, the dog’s leash goes slack.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

Resources for Rotarians

Rotary International offers myriad resources to help Rotarians build effective clubs. Effective clubs are able to achieve the Object of Rotary by

• Sustaining or increasing their membership base
  • Implementing successful service projects that address the needs of their community and communities in other countries
  • Supporting The Rotary Foundation through both financial contributions and program participation
  • Developing leaders capable of serving in Rotary beyond the club level

Club membership

BUCKET LIST

Kamchatka. Eruption Kluchevskoy, NE Russia

TOO CUTE

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #14

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #14

MEETING October 8th. 2012

This evening was a business meeting and we got through a lot of  club business.  The minutes will be distributed as soon as possible.

Thanks to Henk Hulsman for catering and for the Kranztki sausages, Dutch potatoes and Dutch cabbage.  All delicious.

NEXT Monday Night 15th October

To all who read this bulletin you are cordially invited to Coolamon this Monday to hear what is next for Africa.

The talk is entitled Road MAPS to Africa Yesterday Today Tomorrow.

As  a prelude to next Monday  night on Africa by PDG Fred Loneragan and John Glassford here are some comments from the beneficiaries of the Mountains of the Moon Climb in 2011.  Last week RAWCS distributed around $40,000 that was raised as a result of the climb to the 4 beneficiaries.

Dear John
Thank you very much.We have just been informed by Stanbic Bank in Kasese that the $6,915.20 have already been credited on BMCF account in Uganda.
I want to express our deepest gratitude to you and all our Rotary friends in your area.Please, convey our deep gratitude to every one.We are very proud of of your great and generous support for our ministry among children and the clinic.
More information will follow later.
Regards

+ Zebedee

Our Treasurer Roy Graham has told me that your very kind donation amounting to R 56,516,97 has come in to our account. Thank you so much for your continued work on our behalf. You are friends indeed.

This is an absolute lifeline for us given our problems with Foundation and the matching grant. We shall put this toward the defibrilator for which we are awaiting a pro forma invoice or solid quote and as you know, this is a permitted item under the rules and will offset substantially the amount owing.

Patrick has to submit a progress report to Foundation in the immediate future and this will read well. Needless to say, our objective is to get the whole thing settled off and to get us all back in the good books with the Matching Grant people.

I expect that Patrick will be writing to you if he has not done so already. But from me as the President and on behalf of the Board I thank you and the Rotary Club of Coolamon.

Kind regards  Peter Dutton

President Rotary Hout Bay

John, hello and hope you are well! Even though I am officially on maternity leave I had to sneak into my office to send a big note of thanks for your wonderful donation of 7k plus! How wonderful!

With your blessings we would love the money to go toward paying for our non academic staff-who keep the school running behind the scenes.

I hope you all had a wonderful trek and thanks again for never forgetting about our school.

Best wishes, Gemma

Gemma Sisia
Founder The School of St Jude’s

DIARY REMINDERS

Thursday 11th October BINGO on duty: Ian Jennings, John Glassford, Grahame Miles, Mark Reardon.
*Monday 15th October Road MAPS to Africa John Glassford.
*Monday 22nd October WORKSHOP for Coolamon Shire Business people on how to use the Internet for marketing your business facilitated by Linda Tillman and sponsored by Coolamon Rotary and the Coolamon Shire Council.
*Monday 29th October Social Night at Marilyn and Ian Jennings home.

I paid a visit to the Rotary Club of Beijing, my first to a Chinese Rotary club, and I was encouraged by the active involvement of its members in numerous service projects. The president of the Rotary Club of Shanghai was also present. 北京ロータリークラブを訪問いたしました。奉仕活動を盛んに行っているクラブです。上海のクラブからも会長さんが駆けつけてくださいました。大変お世話になりありがとうございました。

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Eleven people were hanging on a rope under a helicopter, ten men and one woman. The rope was not strong enough to carry them all, so they decided that one has to drop off, otherwise they are all going to fall. They were not able to choose that person, but then the woman made a very touching speech. She said that she would voluntarily let go of the rope, because as woman she was used to giving up everything for her husband and kids, and for men in general, without ever getting anything in return. As soon as she finished her speech, all the men started clapping their hands.

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn’t seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps: “My friend is dead! What can I do?” The operator says: “Calm down, I can help. First, let’s make sure he’s dead.” There is a silence, then a shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says: “OK, now what?”

Arsenic? Jane walked into a pharmacy, strolled over to the counter, and caught the pharmacist’s attention. “Can I please get some arsenic?” she asked. “Arsenic? What do you want arsenic for?” asked the pharmacist. “It’s for my husband,” she replied. “Your husband?” exclaimed the pharmacist, “I hope you don’t mean what I think you mean!” She just nodded. “Well, lady,” he replied, “I’m an honest man. I can’t sell you arsenic, I wouldn’t if I could, and I don’t know what made you think you could just stroll into a respectable store and expect me me to sell you arsenic.!” She didn’t say a word. She just reached into her purse, fished out a photograph, and handed it across the counter. It was a picture of her husband, in bed with the pharmacist’s wife. Slowly the pharmacist looks up, over the counter, and then straight at her. “Lady,” he said, “why didn’t you tell me you had a prescription?”

Air Guitar Strings

ROTARY INFORMATION

OCTOBER IS VOCATIONAL SERVICES MONTH

Michigan club gives students a chance to explore their dream jobs

A vocational service program conducted by the Rotary Club of St. Joseph & Benton Harbor, Michigan, USA, is helping junior and senior high school students develop careers by connecting them with mentors who are leaders in industry. Participants are selected by their schools and given the opportunity to explore their professional interests with behind-the-scenes visits to area businesses. They also meet one-on-one with mentors, who share their experiences and advise the students on how best to pursue their dream careers. Since the club launched the mentoring program in 2008, Rotarians have put more than 300 students in touch with professionals including lawyers, doctors, a Fortune 500 CEO, broadcast journalists, police officers, and a professional football player. Two Rotarians accompany each student who meets with a professional. The students are then required to report on their experiences at a meeting of the Rotary club. “This program leverages Rotary’s amazing network of professionals to help young people connect with their career interests,” says Jackie Huie, program chair and president of the St. Joseph & Benton Harbor club. “We have not had a vocation that we couldn’t find for a student.” The experience gives teenagers a chance either to reinforce their career choices or to rethink them, says Huie. Teri LaForest, a senior and a 2012 program participant, wanted to become a meteorologist. The club organized a meeting with a meteorologist at the local TV station. After the visit, LaForest concluded that that job might not be for her but that she still had a passion for environmental science.

High school senior Teri LaForest (right) meets with local TV meteorologist Cindi Clawson as part of a vocational service project conducted by the Rotary Club of St. Joseph & Benton Harbor, Michigan, USA. Photo courtesy of the Rotary Club of St. Joseph & Benton Harbor.

FULL STORY HERE.

TOO CUTE

Websites of Interest

Bay Breezes from Hout Bay Rotary

Our Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay have resumed normal service and their bulletin is now available, click on the logo below:

Rotary Hout Bay

Some photos form our visit last December with the Mountains of the Moon team at the Hout Bay Rotary Club.

Hout Bay has one of the best club rooms and venue right on the harbour.

Mark Janetzki from Henty at the meeting
Pre-dinner drinks in the Atlantic Yacht Club
The view of the harbour
Butch Liebenberg on the braai

ROTI Breadbasket October 2012

October Breadbasket

Another great read from ROTI the fellowship for Rotarians On The Internet.

The more we use the Internet the more we can learn about Rotary around the world and this fellowship is a great place to make friends form around the world.

Here are two great mates of mine that I met through ROTI and then at the Chicago Convention in 2005.  Some of you have met Chip Ross from Canada on my right giving me $50 Aussie for Road MAPS and on my left is PDG Todd Lindley from the USA.

Chip Ross, John Glassford and Todd Lindley in Chicago 2005.