Rotary Family Health Days

The tremendous burden on the families of those infected by HIV/AIDS – particularly for older people caring for their terminally ill children and raising their grandchildren, and for children who are orphaned – is incalculable.

This is a story of people coming together to help fight this global killer along with other preventable diseases.

Inspired by Marion Bunch, an American woman who lost her son to AIDS, Rotary Family Health Days will offer free health care services over three days in S. Africa, Ghana, Nigeria and Uganda in April 2014.

Rotary Family Health Days from Rotary International on Vimeo.

Rotary Convention Sydney 2014 Speakers

SPEAKERS

During five plenary sessions you’ll be inspired by Rotary International’s president and other leaders as they share stories about Rotarians worldwide who exemplify Service Above Self. Rotary Foundation leaders will present the latest news about polio eradication and updates on Foundation grants. Simultaneous interpretation will be offered in Mandarin Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, and Spanish, and possibly other languages, depending on registrants’ needs. The schedule below represents the latest information available, and is subject to change.

Tommy Spaulding.

Monday, 2 June

Plenary session 2

World-renowned expert on leadership and president of Spaulding Companies Corporation, a national leadership development and excecutive coaching organization. Topic: Changing the World One Relationship at a Time

Read more about Tommy Spaulding

Gemma Sisia

Monday, 2 June

Breakout session 15:30-17:00

Founder of the School of St. Jude in Tanzania, which helps children in East Africa break the cycle of poverty. Topic: Fighting Poverty Through Education

Read more about Gemma Sisia

Ade Adepitan

Tuesday, 3 June

Plenary session 3

Former Paralympian, award-winning television broadcaster, motivational speaker, and polio survivor.

Read more about Ade Adepitan

Maya Ajmera

Tuesday, 3 June

Plenary session 3

Rotary Scholar, founder of the Global Fund for Children, and visiting scholar and professional lecturer at Johns Hopkins University. She is the recipient of the 2013-14 Global Alumni Service to Humanity Award.

Read more about Maya Ajmera

Dr. Bruce Aylward

Tuesday, 3 June

Plenary session 3

Assistant director-general for Polio, Emergencies, and Country Collaboration at the World Health Organization.

Read more about Bruce Aylward

SENIOR LEADERS

RI President Ron Burton

Sunday, 1 June

Welcome address at the opening plenary

Read more information about the president

The Rotary Foundation Chair Dong Kurn Lee.

Tuesday, 3 June

Rotary Foundation Keynote address at plenary session 3

Read more information about the chair

President-elect Gary Huang.

Wednesday, 4 June

Keynote address at closing plenary

Read more information about the president-elect.

President-nominee K.R. “Ravi” Ravindran.

Wednesday, 4 June

Acceptance remarks at plenary session 4

Read more information about the president-nominee

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #35

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #35

NEW WEB SITE FOR MOUNT KENYA 2015

MARCH IS LITERACY MONTH.

South African projects advance literacy and basic education

By Mary Jo Jean-Francois, Area of Focus Manager for Basic Education & Literacy

There is absolutely nothing that makes my job better than visiting Rotarian projects and seeing the faces of children light up because of one simple thing: they are learning. Who am I and what incredible job do I have, you ask?

My name is Mary Jo Jean-Francois and I am the Area of Focus Manager for Basic Education & Literacy here at Rotary. A relatively new team, we are very excited to work with Rotarians throughout the world.

FULL STORY HERE

Teacher Maria works with three year olds on developing fine motor skills. Photo courtesy of Mary Jo Jean-Francois.

Students identify sounds to build words. Photo courtesy of Mary Jo Jean-Francois

MUSIC 4 MATES CONCERT COOLAMON

Ian Jennings, Dick Jennings and John Piltz at the Rotary Van.

Coolamon Rotary had a small part to play in this Music 4 Mates Concert held on Saturday afternoon and evening.  Over 1,500 attended this free concert and a substantial amount was raised.  A wonderful effort!  The concert was in aid of Suicide awareness and prevention and was hosted by the Coolamon Lions Club.  Our club cooked in our caravan.  Some photos follow:

Pictures from Bianca Marie Photographics via their Facebook page.

DISTRICT CONFERENCE ORANGE 2014

Last weekend was an excellent weekend of fun, food, fellowship and some serious networking.

District Governor Geoff Tancred and Bettye Tancred hosted the D9700 DISCON in Orange.  There were many outstanding speakers and among them none other than Father Chris Riley, Dr Keith Suter and Rob Pennicott from Tasmania.  There was also some Rotary work but most of the weekend was fellowship and listening to such diverse subjects as Prospects for Peace in 2014, Housing for Health, circumnavigating Australia in a rubber ducky, repairing fences and gates from bush fires and floods.  As well as these subjects we had three Vocational Excellence Awards presented where each recipient spoke on their projects, from midwifery in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, apple growing and Aboriginal health.Our thanks to PP Paul Cox who was the conference Chair and to his committee for putting on another great conference.

Here are some thumb nail photos of a small part of the Conference please click on the images to enlarge them.

MEETING MONDAY MARCH 24th. 2014

We had one guest in Christine Lorraine and in all 14 members attended.

Last night our club had a rare club assembly to discuss future projects.

President Dick Jennings reminded all of our members that there was a Ganmain Coolamon Hospital Auxiliary night to be held on Friday May 23rd.

Dick also thanked all of the members who supported the Mates 4 Mates Concert on Saturday night.

John Glassford reported on the District Conference at Orange held last weekend.

Ian Jennings reminded all members that next week will be a social night and BBQ at PE Garth Perkin’s home,  BYO.   Please advise Christine of any guests that you may be bringing along.  6.30 for 7.00pm.

Diary Reminders.

Monday 31st  March Social Night at PE Garth and Marg Perkin’s home.  BYO.

Saturday 29th March Wagga Wagga Food and Wine Festival Midday to 10 pm in the Wagga Civic Theatre Gardens hosted by the Wollundry Rotary Club.

*Monday 7th April Des Carmody Guest Speaker “Gallipoli Victory or Defeat?”

Thursday April 10th BINGO Rostered ON: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Ted Hutcheon

Monday 14th April Regular Meeting followed by the April Board Meeting.

Saturday 19th April EASTER MARKETS in Coolamon.

Monday April 21st EASTER No Meeting.

Monday April 28th Libby Cruikshank Guest Speaker Community Health.

Thursday May 8th BINGO Rostered ON: Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos and elephants.

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

Thursday June 12th BINGO Rostered ON: John Glassford, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman

Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 June Wagga Wagga Book Fair.

Saturday 28th June D9700 Change Over Dinner in Orange.

*Monday July 7th 2015 ANNUAL CHANGE OVER DINNER

Saturday 9th August Coolamon Street Raffle

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ROTARY INFORMATION

Vocational training team uses collaborative approach for medical training

By Ellina Kushnir, Rotary Programs staff

fImage

A group of six obstetricians from England traveled to Sikkim, India, in April as part of the Collaborative Action in Lowering Maternity Encountered Deaths vocational training team. Known as CALMED, the joint initiative between Districts 1120 (England) and 3240 (parts of northeast India) brought together professionals and community members to train medical staff in emergency care for pregnant women and newborns. The team developed curricula and resources and used simulators to train local medical professionals involved with childbirth. Afterward, the newly trained medical staff trained rural medical workers — all part of the effort to reduce the risk of complications and death during pregnancy, birth, and the postnatal period. Watch a video of the exchange.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

ADVICE FROM A RETIRED HUSBAND

It is important for men to remember that as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are oversensitive, and there’s nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

My name is Wayne. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife.

When I retired a few years ago, it became necessary for Denise to get a full-time job, along with her part-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed.

Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age. I usually get home from the golf club about the same time she gets home from work.

Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don’t yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time, and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table.

I generally have lunch in the Men’s Grill at the club, so eating out is not reasonable. I’m ready for some home-cooked grub when I hit that door.

She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating, but now it’s not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner. I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won’t clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed bed.

Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example, she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But boys, we take ’em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two, or even three days. That way, she won’t have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn’t hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.

When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half-finished mowing the yard. I try not to make a scene. I’m a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice big cold glass of freshly-squeezed lemonade, and just sit for a while. And as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support my wife. I’m not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other.

ED. NOTE: Wayne died suddenly on January 15th of a perforated rectum. The police report says he was found with a Calloway extra-long 50-inch Big Bertha Driver II golf club jammed up his rear end, with barely five inches of grip showing, and a sledge hammer lying nearby. His wife was arrested and charged with murder. The all-woman jury took only 10 minutes to find her not guilty, accepting her defence that Wayne, somehow without looking, accidentally sat down on his golf club.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Today in #Rosario#Argentina, over 1700 young leaders from 27 countries are gathering to exchange ideas at the third Presidential New Generations Conference. Follow #RosarioNG on Twitter for updates.

El presidente de Rotary International Ron Burton está organizando una serie de Conferencias Presidenciales sobre las Nuevas Generaciones para reunir a jóvenes líderes emergentes y socios rotarios de todo el mundo.

Los asistentes compartirán ideas acerca de cómo Rotary prepara a la próxima generación de líderes a gestionar el cambio. Entre los aspectos más sobresalientes de la conferencia estarán:

PRESIDENTIAL CONFERENCE FOR THE NEW GENERATIONS

Rotary International President Ron Burton is hosting a series of Presidential Conferences on New Generations to bring together young emerging leaders and Rotarians around the world.

Attendees will share ideas about how Rotary prepares the next generation of leaders to manage change. Among the highlights of the conference will be:

• Featured speakers, including the president of RI Burton.
  • A community service project.
  • Opportunities for exchange of ideas on the participation of young leaders in Rotary service.
  • Time of fellowship, friendship and joy.

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

BLATANT PUBLICITY FOR THE KENYAN NIGHT IN GANMAIN

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

COME MEET SOME OF OUR NATIVES

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

The programme Click to Enlarge:

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION

WE HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED BOOTH #224 IN THE BILLABONG

If you are going to Sydney and can help us man our booth please let us know.

THANKS!

FOOT NOTE

Tribute To Lenana, The Gentle One

Today we are remembering a very special elephant whom we knew as a friend. He was mercilessly murdered on this very day a year ago. For us it feels like only yesterday. His name was LENANA.

We know we were not the only ones who loved Lenana and so we would like to share this day with you.
We wish to remember Lenana as he was in life, strong, patient, majestic in all of his beautiful elephant-ness and ever gentle.

His memory lives on in our hearts and through our work to save his kind. We wish you were alive today. Free and wild among your fellow elephants.

We are thinking of you today, as we are everyday. Be at peace dear Lenana, now and forever.

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2013 -2014

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

DISCON 2014 Orange

Day 2 of our District 9700 Conference.  As we are about to go to a bush dance I will post a few pics here now.  It has been a great meeting, numbers are down this year but the quality is high!!!!  Speakers simply excellent with Father Chris Riley and Dr Keith Suter the standouts so far.

Click on the photos for a larger image.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #34

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #34

MARCH IS LITERACY MONTH.

Magnifying Microscopes

This week we look at a wonderful education programme from Western Australia.

WA Chief Scientist Lyn Beazley has a vision that every primary school in WA has a set of Magnifying Microscopes.

The Rotary Club of Freshwater Bay, together with the Science Teachers’ Association of Western Australia (STAWA) and the Water Corporation, is making that dream a reality.

The Magnifying Microscope is a small hand-held unit that allows a child to easily move it around to view items indoors or out. An Activity Booklet has been produced by the Water Corporation, in conjunction with STAWA, so that teachers are able to integrate the use of the Magnifying Microscopes with their existing curriculum.

Magnifying Microscopes

A set of microscopes were presented to Balga Primary School Friday morning 14th March. At least 50% of student are indigenous / from other cultures, with Asian and African the dominant cultures represented. Principal Laura O’Hara is a valued member of the RCFB, always striving to do the best she can in the low socio economic schools she has worked in.

Rtn John Duff, Principal Clive Kelly, PRID Ken Collins, teacher Wendy Carruthers, Tim Boyes (agVivo and future scientists at Glen Forrest Primary School.

UNITED TRIKERS ASSOCIATION INC. AGM DINNER

On Friday night Coolamon Rotary Club catered for 138+ Trikers in Wagga Wagga.  We had three spits going and a large oven.  In all we cooked 6 legs of lamb, 1 whole lamb and 2 whole goats.  The goats were supplied by Wayne and Helen Lewis as their donation to the cause.  This year the Trikers decided to support Ronald MacDonald House.  Craig Corrigan a well known triker called Buck organised the event.  Craig is also a member of Coolamon Rotary Club.  IN all over $5,000 was raised by the event.

Buck Corrigan Space Patrol

Over 1oo trikes attended from many parts of Australia and we want to thanks the following volunteers:  Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Susan Glassford, Wayne Lewis, Dick Jennings, Ian Jennings, Garth Perkin, Ted Hutcheon, Neil Munro, Hen Hulsman and John Glassford.

What is wrong with the photo?  Answer the three lady volunteers were in the kitchen preparing the veggies!

A very special thank you to Wayne and Helen Lewis for donating the two goats see above, delicious!

See what I mean!  Well done Bern, Miffy and Susan!

Here are some more photos from the afternoon/night.  Thanks go to all the volunteers who worked so hard:  Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Susan Glassford, Wayne Lewis, Dick Jennings, Ian Jennings, Ted Hutcheon, Neil Munro, Garth Perkin, Henk Hulsman and John Glassford.

MEETING MONDAY MARCH 17th. 2014

IN Chicago the home of Rotary a Happy St Patrick’s Day as the Chicago River turns Green.

At last night’s meeting we had two guests Helen Lewis and Susan Glassford as well as two visiting Rotarians in PDG Fred Loneragan and Len Wade from the Wagga Wagga Sunrise club.  In all 14 members attended.  Len spoke on the upcoming Wagga Wagga Sunrise Jazz night on April 5th to raise funds for the Wagga Wagga Hospital Auxiliary and Polio Plus.  PDG Fred Loneragan spoke briefly on the upcoming D9700 Conference in Orange.

President Dick Jennings encouraged everyone to volunteer to work at the upcoming Music for Mates Concert on Saturday.  Ian Jennings will be sending the roster for Saturday’s volunteers  via EMAIL.

Dick also thanked the volunteers who fed 138 Trikers last Friday as seen in a pictorial essay above.  Special mention was made of the three ladies who worked so hard Miffy, Bernadette and Susan.

An Information Technology workshop followed dinner and this was conducted by Paul Weston and John Glassford.  Several of the members brought their devices along for the workshop.  We have a lot of work to do here but it was a good start with some members very proficient and others not into the Internet or computers.  HOWEVER all present do use email so that is a good start.

John feels that the way of the future will lie in technology such as Facebook and whatever takes the place of Facebook into the future.

It was also PE Garth Perkin’s birthday.

Diary Reminders.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Saturday 22nd March Music for Mates Concert in Coolamon.

Monday 24th March CLUB ASSEMBLY

Saturday 5th April Wagga Wagga Sunrise Jazz Night see advert below:

Thursday April 10th BINGO Rostered ON: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Ted Hutcheon

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos.

Thursday May 8th BINGO Rostered ON: Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

Thursday June 12th BINGO Rostered ON: John Glassford, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

Congratulations on 46 years, #Rotaract!

Rotaractors and #Rotary go hand in hand. Read how 7,084 people did just that. #RotaractStorm

By Ramkumar Raju A., Rotaract Club of Madras Central, Tamil Nadu, India

Last April, I was asked by  RI Director P.T. Prabhakar to form a team and help gather 10,000 Rotaractors for a Presidential New Generations Conference to be held in Chennai, India, for then President-elect Ron Burton. We have more than 25,000 Rotaract members in our district but I was overwhelmed by the request.

I said I didn’t think it would be possible without the support of Rotarians in our district.

The largest human image of a hand, consisting of 7,084 people.The largest human image of a hand, consisting of 7,084 people. 

I was going crazy, and wondered how we could fund such a large effort. But our district governor told me to leave that to the Rotarians, and give it our best effort.

A team of Rotarians and Rotaractors was formed and we selected the theme, “We Are the Change,” which brought a big smile to my face. Now I was ready for the challenge, and ready to be “the Change.”

Rotaract, Rotary go hand in hand

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

A Fight With The Wife!

A man gets into a big argument with his wife  so he decides to head up to the local pub and drink a few pints while she cools off. He runs into a few friends and they start celebrating and talking about the good ole’ days. Several hours quickly pass and he decides its getting late and he better start heading home.

He goes to get off the bar stool to leave and falls flat on his face. He makes several attempts to get up but cant seem to get on his feet. He thinks to himself that he must’ve really over done it this time to be so drunk he cant even stand. He looks around and luckily no one has noticed his drunken display so he crawls out of the bar where he still cant seem to pull himself together. He figures the hell with it, its only a few blocks to his house so he just crawls home and gently slides into bed as not to disturb his sleeping wife.

The next morning he awakes with this feeling of  piercing eyes upon him when he notices his wife standing at the foot of the bed with her arms crossed and obviously upset. He mutters out a “Good morning, honey” to which she angrily replies “You were out at the pub all night getting drunk, weren’t you?”

He quickly rolls over and begins to plead with her, “Of course not honey, I wouldn’t do that. I was here in bed with you most of night. Why in the world would you say that?”

She rolls her eyes and replies, “Because the pub called, you forgot your wheelchair…Again!”

The Triker and the Bridge

Last Autumn a group of trikers were riding across the Harbour Bridge, when they saw a girl about to jump off a bridge…So they stopped.  George, their leader, a big burly man of 53, gets off his TRIKE, walks through a group of gawkers, past the Highway Patrolman who was trying to talk her down off the railing, and says, “G ‘ day gorgeous what you doing’ up there on that railing?”

She says tearfully, “I’m going to commit suicide!!”

While he didn’t want to appear ‘sensitive’, George also didn’t want to miss this ‘be-a-legend’ opportunity either so he asked…

“Well, before you jump, Honey-Babe… Why don’t you give your old mate George here your best last kiss?”

So, with no hesitation at all, she leaned back over the railing and did just that… And it was a long, deep, lingering kiss followed immediately by another even better one.

After they breathlessly finished, George gets a big thumbs-up approval from his triker-buddies, the onlookers, and even the cops, and then says,  “Wow! That was the best kiss I have ever had, Honey! That’s a real talent you’re wasting, Sugar Shorts. You could be famous if you rode with me. Why the hell are you committing suicide?”

“My parents don’t like me dressing up like a girl.”

It’s still unclear whether the person jumped or was pushed!

ROTARY INFORMATION

The 2012-2013 Annual Report of Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation is now available and I can send you a pdf copy.

SOME HIGHLIGHTS (Click on thumb nail to enlarge):

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Worldwide Project

4 – 2013-14
LifeStraws – water purifiers for clean drinking water in emergency situations, Worldwide

To provide a means of filtering water to provide safe drinking water in disasters or emergency situations in developing countries, Worldwide

Contact
Carolyn Krueger
P: (07) 5448 – 2006
Email: [email protected]

Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Buderim , District 9600

For additional information please visit: BUDERIM ROTARY CLUB

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

SOME ATTRACTIONS ON THE WAY TO SYDNEY

KAKADU NORTHERN TERRITORY

To those International readers of our bulletin why not visit the Northern Territory on your way to Sydney?

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION

WE HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED BOOTH #224 IN THE BILLABONG

If you are going to Sydney and can help us man our booth please let us know.

THANKS!

FOOT NOTE

WWW. 25 YEARS OLD!

Sir Tim Berners-Lee in 2012

A 1989 document that was both practical and prescient.

On March 12, 1989, British computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee distributed a document to his colleagues at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, in Geneva. His unprepossessing title, “Information Management: A Proposal,” indicates that he wasn’t trying to change the world. He just knew that CERN had vast quantities of valuable information stored all over the place, and that it would be easier to find if it were all linked together in a way that made it accessible from any computer. So — returning to concepts he had started exploring in 1980 during an earlier tour of duty at CERN — he recommended creating a networked hypertext system to manage all that knowledge.

The idea floated out there for a while before it became reality, at CERN or anywhere else, but what Berners-Lee was proposing came to be known as the World Wide Web. That makes today, March 12, 2014, as good a day as any to celebrate the web’s 25th birthday.

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

RFHA New Video

Rotarains For family Health and AIDS awareness has done some wonderful work in Africa with the Family Health Days. here is a video on what RFHA id doing for Africa. As always in the front leading the way is the RFHA CEO Marion Bunch a Rotarian from Atlanta.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #33

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #33

MARCH IS LITERACY MONTH.

PARTNERS FOR CLIMATE CHANGE RESEARCH IN TANZANIA

Littered with old National Geographic magazines, a model volcano, and a solar cooker, Bartholomew Meena’s crammed science room in Machame, Tanzania, captured Amy Kaspar’s heart at first glance.

“He created all the science projects we had from our childhood in one room,” recalls Kaspar, a former Rotary Scholar who’s now a member of the Rotary Club of Capital Square in Ohio. Within those projects, she saw Menna’s passion for his environment and a wealth of unexplored opportunities, particularly the chance to collaborate and study the environmental impact of Mount Kilimanjaro’s melting glaciers.

“I had attended several lectures recently at the center,” Kaspar says. “The thought hit me, shouldn’t the people who live around the mountain know about what is happening and prepare for the changes?”

Kaspar spent the next four years connecting Meena with…….. MORE HERE

Bartholomew Meena’s science corner includes a model of Mount Kilimanjaro.

Photo Credit: Photos courtesy of Amy Kaspar

MEETING MONDAY MARCH 10th. 2014

This Monday night was a Regular Meeting followed by a Board Meeting.  Thirteen members attended.

Of note Ian Durham is looking for a volunteer or two for RYDA on Friday March 21st.

Ian Durham also reported on the Rotary Community Telephone Book which has raised a respectful amount from Ian’s hard work with some great support from the members of the committee chaired by Ian.  Final figures are not in as yet however we will report the final amount when they come to hand.  Congratulations Ian and your committee.

A Club Assembly has been called for Monday 24th March.  ALL members are requested to attend as a recent resolution by the Board on the Scarecrow Festival is subject to an appeal to the club.

The decision of the board in all club matters is final, subject only to an appeal to the club.

The resolution:  “Motion 4: That the Scarecrow Festival be run by Coolamon Rotary subject to the following conditions:…………..”

If appealed, a decision of the board shall be reversed only by a two-thirds vote of the members present, at a regular meeting specified by the board, provided a quorum is present (One-third of the membership shall constitute a quorum at the annual and regular meetings of this club), and notice of the appeal has been given by the secretary to each member at least five (5) days prior to the meeting.  If an appeal is taken, the action taken by the club shall be final.

Other recent board decisions will be presented to the members present at the Club Assembly.

President Dick promoted the Mates for Mates Concert on Saturday 22nd from 2-10 pm at the Coolamon Sports and Recreation Club.  Rotary will be supplying our caravan for this Coolamon Lions hosted event.

IT was also resolved:  That the Rotary Club of Coolamon join the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga Sunrise in a joint partnership, to support and promote the Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day Climb, for our Road MAPS to Africa project.

Diary Reminders

Thursday March 13th BINGO Rostered ON: Henk Hulsman, Don Dyce, Neil Munro, Wayne Lewis

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Monday 17th March Internet Workshop Night with Paul Weston and John Glassford.  Bring your communication device with you, includes tablets, smart phones and lap tops.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Monday 24th March CLUB ASSEMBLY

This week we learn about our RI President Elect  Gary Huang.

RI President-elect Gary C.K. Huang and his spouse, Corinna, announced the 2014-15 RI theme, Light Up Rotary, during the opening plenary session at the International Assembly, 13 January 2014, San Diego, California, USA.

Gary C.K. Huang, a member of the Rotary Club of Taipei, Taiwan, will become Rotary International’s 2014-15 president on 1 July.

Huang is an adviser for Wah Lee Industrial Corp. and Bank of Panhsin. He is also a director of Federal Corporation and Sunty Property Development.

A Rotarian since 1976, Huang has served RI as vice president, director, Rotary Foundation trustee, district governor, International Assembly training leader, regional session leader, task force member and coordinator, and committee member and chair.

He is a recipient of the RI Service Above Self Award and a Presidential Citation, and The Rotary Foundation’s Citation for Meritorious Service and Distinguished Service Award.

Download 2014-15 presidential theme logo and graphics

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Lord And The Biker

A biker was riding along a California beach when suddenly the sky clouded above his head and, in a booming voice, the Lord said, “Because you have TRIED to be faithful to me in all ways, I will grant you one wish.”

The biker pulled over and said, “Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can ride over anytime I want.”

The Lord said, “Your request is materialistic. Think of the enormous challenges for that kind of undertaking. The supports required to reach the bottom of the Pacific! The concrete and steel it would take! It will nearly exhaust several natural resources. I can do it, but it is hard for me to justify your desire for worldly things.

Take a little more time and think of something that would honor and glorify me.”

The biker thought about it for a long time. Finally he said, “Lord, I wish that I could understand my wife. I want to know how she feels inside, what she’s thinking when she gives me the silent treatment, why she cries, what she means when she says nothing’s wrong, and how I can make the woman truly happy.”

The Lord replied, “You want two lanes or four on that bridge?

Dead Duck

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird’s chest.

After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said; “I’m sorry, your duck (Cuddles) has passed away.”

The distressed woman wailed; “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am sure. The duck is dead.” replied the vet.

“How can you be so sure?” she protested. “I mean you haven’t done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something.”

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around, and left the room.

He returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck’s owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table, and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.

The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out of the room.

A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly, and strolled out of the room.

The vet looked at the woman and said; “I’m sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck.”

The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman. The duck’s owner, still in shock, took the bill. “$150!” she cried; “$150 just to tell me my duck is dead!?”

The vet shrugged; “I’m sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill would have been $20, but… with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it’s now $150.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

Grammy award-winning singer Angélique Kidjo speaks to Rotary staff at the RI Headquarters in Evanston, Illinois, on 10 February.

Photo Credit: Rotary Images/Monika Lozinska

In her new album, “Eve,” Grammy award winner Angélique Kidjo honors the women in Africa, and pays tribute to Rotary’s work to end polio worldwide.

The singer and activist from Benin chose to include Rotary in the soon-to-be-released video of the album’s signature song, “Eva.” Rotary’s presence in the video is no coincidence. The relationship between the singer dates back to 2011, when she joined about two dozen celebrities, including Jackie Chan, Jack Nicklaus, and Jane Goodall, in Rotary’s “This Close” polio awareness campaign.

“I am the cherry on top of the cake,” says Kidjo in an exclusive interview with Rotary News. “The important work is done by the people in the field.” With the voices of Kidjo and collaborator Nigerian signer Asa as a backdrop, the video shadows a young girl as she wanders about in an old novelty shop. The curious girl turns on an old TV and sees the singers on-screen, followed by footage of a Rotary Family Health Day project in South Africa.

In her new album, “Eve,” Grammy award winner Angélique Kidjo honors the women in Africa, and pays tribute to Rotary’s work to end polio worldwide.

Angélique Kidjo

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

Wedding of the year. Mugabe’s step daughter full story and photos:

Warning graphic photos of opulence.

Zimbabwe Wedding.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

SATURDAY 5th APRIL at the International Hotel in Wagga Wagga

Could I ask you to identify how many will attend from your club and collect the money, then we will arrange for your club to receive the tickets in advance of the function.  Please note that attendance is limited to a maximum of 200 persons only, so first in, best dressed.  As attendees are encouraged to engage the 1920s theme, there will be prizes for best-dressed male and female (gangster? flapper?).  We very much look forward to seeing you there.

Peter Gissing                                                                           Len Wade

President                                                                                 Foundation Director

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

SOME ATTRACTIONS ON THE WAY TO SYDNEY

Twelve Apostles Victoria

Byron Bay Northern New South Wales

Parliament House Canberra ACT

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND 2009

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the Osaka Rotary Convention:

Osaka 2004

Trivia: The smallest convention was the first, 1910, with 60 attendees. The largest registration number, to date, was 43,381 at the 2004 convention in Osaka, Japan

FOOT NOTE

This is Australia!

This is a small Jackson’s croc about 1 metre long being swallowed by an Olive Python from North Queensland.

Story here:  PYTHON and CROC

Click on the thumb nails for a bigger picture.

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #32

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #32

MARCH IS LITERACY MONTH.

The Rotary Foundation Future Vision 6 Areas of Focus.

# 5 BASIC EDUCATION AND LITERACY

THE FOUNDATION ENABLES ROTARIANS TO ENSURE THAT ALL PEOPLE HAVE SUSTAINABLE ACCESS TO BASIC EDUCATION AND LITERACY BY:

Involving the community to support programs that strengthen the capacity of communities to provide basic education and literacy to all.

Increasing adult literacy in communities.

Working to reduce gender disparity in education.

Supporting studies for career-minded professionals related to basic education and literacy.

One great example of what our club and RFFA Australia are doing and has done, in this area of basic education and literacy is to sponsor Tracy Monica Ochieng.  We first met Tracy in the “suburb” slum of Mathare in November 2011.  Tracy now enters 3rd term at the Bishop Okoth’s Secondary School for Girls in Kisumu.  Tracy is doing very very well.

Tracy winning prizes at her new school in Kisumu.

Her third term report for 2013 is here:

Tracy’s Report 2103

MEETING MONDAY MARCH 3rd 2014

Happy Birthday Coolamon Rotary 43 years old today!

Tonight we had as our guest speaker Bill Fraser from the Royal Flying Doctor Service.  Bill came down from Canberra to be our guest for the evening.  We had 16 members attend with three partners Marilyn Jennings, Helen Lewis and Susan Glassford.

Bill gave us a great insight into the RFDS and started with the statistics that most of us would be unaware of:

• The RFDS attends to around 295,000 patients on an annual basis.
  • They carry out 15,000 Medical Clinics
  • They have 63 fixed wing aircraft
  • AND fly 26 million kilometres in a year.

The De Havilland DH 50 similar to the first RFDS Aircraft used in 1928 by Rev John Flynn

Last year the RFDS had 385 air landings in Wagga Wagga and are very active in the Riverina.

Bill gave us a history that is not often known on the early origins of the RFDS and it goes back to 1839 long before the airplane was invented and started with Aboriginal health care in remote areas of Australia and grew into what we know today as the RFDS.  To read more go to the RFDS web site below:

Royal Flying Doctor Service

Rtn. Don Dyce presented Bill with a cheque from our club and a kangaroo pouch.

Don Dyce thanks Bill Fraser for his talk on the RFDS.

President Dick Jennings thanked all for attending and reminded all members that we have a board meeting next week and everyone is welcome to attend.  Directors please send your reports to Paul Weston asap.

Diary Reminders

Monday March 10th Regular Meeting followed by a Board Meeting, all members very welcome to attend

Thursday March 13th BINGO Rostered ON: Henk Hulsman, Don Dyce, Neil Munro, Wayne Lewis

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Monday 17th March Internet Workshop Night with Paul Weston and John Glassford.  Bring your communication device with you, includes tablets, smart phones and lap tops.

Monday 24th March TBA

Monday 31st  March TBA

Rotary President Ron Burton values connecting with developing leaders and prospective Rotary members and looks forward to joining many of you in Rosario, Argentina, 15 March; in Birmingham, England, 12-13 April;  and in Sydney, Australia, for a New Generations Celebration on 31 May. Together we will continue to Engage Rotary, Change Lives!

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

A Happy Sikh in London…

A British man walks into a bar in Central London and before could
order his drink, he notices a Sikh wearing a turban. Having a personal
grudge against Sikhs, the Britisher says loudly to the bartender to
the advantage of everyone seated in the bar, “Drinks for everyone in
here, except for the Sikh over there.”

The first round of drinks were served, and the Sikh gives him a
smile, gestures to him saying, “Thank you!” in a loud voice.

The Britisher is upset and again orders loudly to the bartender to
serve another round of drinks to everyone except the Sardar.

The Sardar seems to be unruffled and he continues to smile, and yells
back, “Thank you!”*

The British man is mad by now and asks the bartender,
“Whats wrong with this Sardar? I’ve insulted him by ordering drinks
for everyone but him, and yet he smiles back and keeps thanking me.
Has he lost his mind?”*

“No, Sir,” replies the bartender. “He is the owner of this place.”

THE SHOEBOX

A man and woman had been married for more than 60 years. They had shared everything. They had talked about everything. They had kept no secrets from each other except that the little old woman had a shoe box in the top of her closet that she had cautioned her husband never to open or ask her about.

For all of these years, he had never thought about the box, but one day the little old woman got very sick and the doctor said she would not recover.

In trying to sort out their affairs, the little old man took down the shoe box and took it to his wife’s bedside. She agreed that it was time that he should know what was in the box. When he opened it, he found two crocheted dolls and a stack of money totalling $95,000.

He asked her about the contents.
‘When we were to be married,’ she said, ‘ my grandmother told me the secret of a happy marriage was to never argue. She told me that if I ever got angry with you, I should just keep quiet and crochet a doll.’

The little old man was so moved; he had to fight back tears. Only two Precious dolls were in the box. She had only been angry with him two Times in all those years of living and loving. He almost burst with Happiness.

‘Honey,’ he said, ‘that explains the doll, but what about all of this money? Where did it come from?’

‘Oh,’ she said, ‘that’s the money I made from selling the dolls.

ROTARY INFORMATION

Polio vaccination teams attacked by Pakistani militants

Pakistani paramilitary soldiers take a last glimpse of their colleagues, who were killed in roadside bomb attacks during a funeral ceremony in the Lashora area of Pakistan Photo: AFP/GETTY

Militants have attacked a polio vaccination team in northwest Pakistan, detonating a roadside bomb before opening fire on their convoy.

The attackers killed 12 members of the security escort for the team during the hour-long assault, and when rescuers approached the scene the gunmen also attacked them, according to Khan Faraz, a local official.

Around a dozen wounded were taken to hospital, but others died on the road waiting for help to arrive, he said.

Another official said all the casualties were members of the “levies” or Khasadar, both locally-recruited, government-backed militias. They were providing security for the health workers.

Polio vaccination teams are frequently attacked, as are government security forces.

A Rotary member in Pakistan immunizes a child against polio as his father watches on during a national immunization day. Find out more about Rotary’s work to end polio in Pakistan: http://ow.ly/tDlgV

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

An African python digesting a Duiker (Small antelope).

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

DONATE BOOKS TO THE LABYRINTH FOR LITERACY PROJECT

Literacy projects have long been a cornerstone of Rotary service around the world and RI President Ron Burton and Jetta have requested Convention registrants to take literacy to a new level in Australia by donation of books at a special ‘Labyrinth for Literacy’ inside the Billabong House of Friendship.

Sydney 2014 Host Organising Committee has joined forces with Rotary’s Action Group for Literacy to organize the ‘Labyrinth for Literacy’, which will be located just inside the entry to the giant Dome – first hall in the giant Billabong House of Friendship complex.

Prospective book donors have two options – bring books from their home country or purchase books from the Scholastic Booth at the ‘Labyrinth for Literacy’ area. The Scholastic organisation is supporting the project with provision of books for sale and staff to assist with service.

A ‘reminder’ flyer will be presented to all Rotarians as they collect registration details in the Convention Registration area – Hall 5 in the Southee Complex.

To provide a little ‘light relief’ the books will be arranged in a labyrinth or maze in the booth area.

Rotarians from nearby Sydney clubs have volunteered to provide ‘labour’ to assist with the display and subsequent packing of books for dispatch to various literacy programs around Australia.

There are many outstanding literacy programs involving aboriginal children, underprivileged schools and hospitals throughout the states of Queensland and New South Wales.

The Sydney 2014 Host Organising Committee expect this project to be one of the stand out initiatives of the Convention.

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

The Rotary Club of Sydney Cove are hosting a “Corroboree Cruise” on Monday 2nd June.

Visit Goat Island, site of many ancient ceremonies and traditional home of Bennelong and Barrangaroo, whose name are linked to many famous Sydney landmarks.

You’ll hear authentic stories of Aboriginal Sydney, experience traditional Aboriginal welcoming ceremonies and performances, and enjoy a delicious 3 course meal and meet new and old friends in a unique and spectacular setting.

CORROBOREE ON GOAT ISLAND

SOME ATTRACTIONS IN AND AROUND SYDNEY

CENTRAL COAST 1 HOUR FROM SYDNEY

The Entrance

Woy Woy Spike Milligan hails from here.

Terrigal Beach great fish and chips on the beach!

Photos by Matt Lauder Photography

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND 2009

Rotary International Conventions are held annually in a different country in the world.  Some conventions have had over 40,000 attend, this year it is in Australia and then to Brazil in 2015.  Here are some photos from the 100th Rotary Convention:

Birmingham 2009

Trivia: The smallest convention was the first, 1910, with 60 attendees. The largest registration number, to date, was 43,381 at the 2004 convention in Osaka, Japan

FOOT NOTE

The Rotary Club of Nairobi Swimarathon

Nairobi RC the oldest in East Africa and the 3rd oldest in Africa had a Swimarathon event had singing, dancing and fashion to entertain us. Thanks to Sanata Charitable Trust., RCC Huruma, RCC Mathare, andMohamed Bana! What a great way to celebrate Rotary’s 109th birthday! — at:  University of Nairobi

Some photos from President David Hastie we are currently working with David and his club on a Global Grant for the Viara Junior Academy in Mathare:

President David Hastie in charge.

Bonus photo below I was a shepherd once in Scotland needed a donkey!

Donkey Nanny, Lombardy, Italy.

In the early spring shepherds drive huge flocks of livestock, here sheep, mules, donkeys, and goats from the Pre-Alpine hills to the plains of Lombardy, for grazing. The newborn lambs are carried in a custom made side saddle by the donkeys, and returned to their mothers at rest time.

PS KENYA AT THE OSCARS

Well I am a Kenyan mighty result for Lupita Nyong’o what a lady:

Best Supporting Actress Lupita Nyong’o from Kenya.

“When I look down at this golden statue, may it remind me and every little child that no matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.” Lupita Nyong’o in her Oscar’s acceptance speech.

Websites of Interest