Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #1617-30

Week of 20 March

What a ripper of an evening!  A large number of Rotarians (including many visiting from other clubs) and guests filled the restaurant at the Sport & Rec Club to witness the re-induction of former member Bruce Hamilton and hear some interesting and inspirational presentations by several exchange students and Judith Hall, chair of the District 9700  youth exchange program.  Special guests on the night included DGE George Weston and his wife, Carol, along with AG Bryan Short and his wife, Sally. Following Bruce’s induction, we heard some truly inspirational talks by a current exchange student from Denmark who is finishing up a year in Leeton as well as an exchange student from D9700 who spent a year in Belgium several years ago.  Both students commented on how their experience abroad has changed their lives for the better, how their self-confidence has been boosted, and how they now have friends and family on both sides of the planet!  We also heard from Jackson Wykes, a Coolamon secondary student whom our club is supporting in his quest to be the next exchange student from D9700.  We wish Jackson the best in the interview process and hope he gets the chance to go abroad next year. 

On the lighter side

St Paddy’s Day Reverie

Two men were sitting next to each other on St. Patrick’s Day at Murphy’s Pub in London.  After awhile, one bloke looks at the other and says, “I can’t help but think, from listening to you, that you’re

from Ireland.”

The other bloke responds proudly, “Yes, that I am!”

The first one says, “So am I! And where about from Ireland might you be?”

The other bloke answers, “I’m from Dublin, I am.”

The first one responds, “So am I!”

“Mother Mary and begora. And what street did you live on in Dublin?”

The other bloke says, “A lovely little area it was.  I lived on McCleary Street in the old part of town.”

The first one says, “Faith and it’s a small world! So did I! And to what school would you have been going?”

The other bloke answers, “Well now, I went to St. Mary’s, of course.”

The first one gets really excited and says, “And so did I! Pray tell, what year did you graduate?”

The other bloke answers, “Well now, let’s see.  I graduated in 1964.”

The first one exclaims, “The Good Lord must be smilin’ down upon us! I can hardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same place tonight. Can you believe it, I graduated from St. Mary’s in 1964 my own self!

At about this time, Vicky walks up to the bar, sits down and orders a drink.

Brian, the barman, walks over to Vicky, shaking his head and mutters, “It’s going to be a long, long night.”

Vicky says, “Why do you say that, Brian?”

“The Murphy twins are drunk again.”

The puzzler

You start walking north and you walk in a straight line for two kilometers. When you look at the map, you discover that you actually walked one kilometer north and one kilometer south. How is this possible?

Answer to the last Puzzler:

Three hens will lay one dozen eggs over 6 days. Explanation: An egg and a half laid by a hen and a half over a day and a half is equivalent to one egg laid per hen over a day and a half.  Thus, one hen will lay 4 eggs over 6 days, and thus three hens will lay 12 eggs over 6 days.

Diary

Monday, 27 March: Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Monday, 3 April: Club assembly. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Saturday, 15 April: Easter markets. Up-To-Date Store, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm.

Sunday, 30 April: District 9700 Assembly (All Directors). West Wyalong High School 9:00 am.

10-14 June, 2017: Rotary International Convention, Atlanta, GA, USA.

*Partners and Guests Night

Apologies for Monday meetings: call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12:00 pm.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #1617-29

Week of 13 March

This week’s meeting featured a presentation by Liz Summerville, local rep for the Australian Livestock and Property Agents Association (ALPA).  ALPA serves a number of roles, not the least of which is ensuring that livestock and property agents are well trained and represent their clients well, and are well versed in the marketing of livestock as well as residential and property.  They offer training for auctioneers and host an annual young auctioneer competition, the finals of which are held at the Sydney Royal Easter Show. Ian Durham thanked Liz for an interesting and entertaining presentation and presented her with a kangaroo-hide coin pouch in appreciation.  The evening concluded with a fine session and a raffle, which was won by Dave McKinley.

Members are reminded that we will have some special guests at our next meeting (20 March). Jackson Wykes, our nominee for Rotary Youth Exchange, and his parents will be our guests, along with two students who have participated in the Outward Bound program.  In addition, DGE George Weston and AG Bryan Short will be on hand and will help to induct Bruce Hamilton as he rejoins our club.  We hope to see you there! 

On the lighter side

Everyone’s favourite energy drink

What’s it called when you steal someone’s coffee?

Mugging!

How did the hipster burn his tongue?

He drank his coffee before it was cool.

What do you call sad coffee?

Despresso.

How are coffee beans like kids?

They’re always getting grounded!

How does a tech guy drink coffee?

He installs Java!

What’s black and doesn’t work?

Decaffeinated coffee.

Why are Italians so good at making coffee?

Because they know how to espresso themselves.

Why do they call coffee mud?

Because it was ground a couple of minutes ago.

How is divorce like espresso?

It’s expensive and bitter.

What kind of coffee was served on the Titanic?

Sanka.

The puzzler

Okay, we need an easy puzzle after last week’s toughie. See if you can answer this puzzle:

A chook farmer has worked out that a hen and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half. How many hens does the farmer need to produce one dozen eggs in six days?

The third son bought a candle and a box of matches; when he lit the candle, the candle filled the room with light!

Diary

*Monday, 20th March YOUTH EXCHANGE.  Jackson Wykes, our proposed 2018 Youth Exchange student, and his family will meet AG Bryan Short, DGE George Weston and at least 2 Outward Bound Students who have returned from 12 months abroad.  In addition, we will be re-inducting Bruce Hamilton as a member. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Monday, 27 March: Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Saturday, 15 April: Easter markets. Up-To-Date Store, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm.

Sunday, 30 April: District 9700 Assembly (All Directors). West Wyalong High School 9:00 am.

Apologies for Monday meetings: call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12:00 pm.

Rotary Hout Bay Twin Club Fires in Imizamo Yethu

G ‘ day

This is for all of us in Rotary who have had anything to do with our Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, those who climbed three mountains, two or one those in the club who helped raise funds and those who do not know much about our relationship with Hout Bay Rotary.

The township called Imizamo Yethu in the middle of this beautiful part of Cape Town has just had a large fire destroying several thousand shacks which are the homes of these people who moved here for a better life.

“Coolamon has special values for us all here in Rotary Club of Hout Bay because you are our twinned club and there are not too many twinned clubs in the world today. It represents a special partnership, plus the fact that South Africans and Australians are also special people, anyway. Patrick”

​Some of the Kili 2007 team in Hout Bay.​

“When you drive out of our home town here there is the biggest sign on our local clinic on the Main Road which says “Coolamon House”, so your message is here big time, all the time. May that message also always declare our friendship and common values.

Each one of our members toasts the Rotary Club of Coolamon at our Tuesday meetings.” PP Patrick McLaughlin PHF+1 

We have a long and mutually rewarding association with Hout Bay and Coolamon House that they built with funds we raised climbing three mountains in Africa.

Here are two messages from Hout Bay received this morning, one from PP Don Peters and the other from PP Butch Liebenberg whom some of you have met in Coolamon.

They are not asking for any help just giving us information on this disaster on their watch. 

John – Hi

Yes been a disastrous day for the poor people in Imuzamu Yethu, everyone is rallying round and Rotary Hout Bay is a leader.

Sunday will be the cycle tour 35 000 of them coming thru Hout Bay. Our team of marshals and we have 45 from the informal settlement will be busy because some of our team have lost their homes and will be re-building. but we are going to still give them the stipend for race work as it will help in there start up.

Its late and I have an  early start so will stop but I am going to copy to Patrick and Butch so

they can give another view and also say hi.

Best wishes

Don

Hi John,

The best guess by those closest to IY is that 10,000 people have been displaced. I cant confirm that no but most restaurants in Hout Bay (56 in total) are running with half their staff and very reduced menus. Phumlani who you guys were so good to during his school years and in his last year at Uni has lost his house and most of his goods. I think I have raised enough funds to get him back on track but will let you know if we need anything further. Fortunately Azola your new student has moved out of IY into Uni residence and so is not affected. We have a 5.30 start tomorrow to marshall the Argus Cycle tour so need to get some sleep

Lots of love from us all in Hout Bay

Butch and Lyn

Phumlani with JG and Craig in  2007.​

Here are three pics of this fire:

Those of us who have been there would probably recognise that it is at the top end of IY.

The reason, so far no answers, however this could be one of them:

I will keep you all posted on any help required from the Hout Bay Rotarians.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #1617-28

Week of 6 March

This week’s meeting was a club assembly.  Not much exciting to report, but a fair bit of business was taken care of. The evening concluded with a fine session and meat raffle, which was won by Leslie.  Members were asked by Grahame to come and have a go at bingo this week, and the two members who answered the call (Dick and Leslie) were nicely rewarded (both left with more money than they came with!). 

We have some interesting meetings coming up.  This Monday’s meeting (13 March) will feature a guest speaker in Liz Summerville, who is representing the Australian Livestock and Property Association.  At the following Monday’s meeting (20 March), we’ll be inducting (or actually, re-inducting) Bruce Hamilton, a former member (and president) of the club who left a number of years ago but is returning to the fold.  On hand to help with the induction will be DG-elect George Weston and AG Bryan Short.  In addition, we’ll have as special guests Jackson Wykes and his parents as well as Outward Bound students who will share their experience of living abroad for a year.  Jackson is our nominee for Rotary Youth Exchange, and the members are looking forward to meeting these special young people.

DGN John Glassford and wife Susan are pictured above cutting cake at the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga celebration of Rotary’s 112th birthday recently.  John was the guest speaker and represented the DG at the event.  Just another day in the life of a DG-to-be!

On the lighter side

In case you were wondering where sheep could be found in Australia, take a gander at the map below prepared by cartographers in Mother England in the 1920’s.  The level of precision is simply remarkable!

A lesson in overindulgence

After the fifth night in a row of carousing and late night drinking by her husband, Jack, Marge had it.  She decided to teach the scoundrel a lesson.  After Jack stumbled in and fell fast asleep on the sofa in the lounge room, Marge got to work.  She dug out the bag of sheep entrails she had been saving in the fridge, and dumped them in the sink.  After that, she went to bed and off to sleep.

The next morning, when Jack stumbled groggily into the kitchen, Marge said “It looks like you finally did it.  You puked your guts out last night.”

Jack replied “I know, but thanks to God and the help of a spoon, I got them back in.”

The puzzler

Okay, we need an easy puzzle after last week’s toughie. See if you can answer this riddle:

An old man wanted to leave all of his money to one of his three sons, but he didn’t know which one he should give it to. He gave each of them a few coins and told them to buy something that would be able to fill their living room. The first man bought straw, but there was not enough to fill the room. The second bought some sticks, but they still did not fill the room. The third man bought two things that filled the room, so he obtained his father’s fortune. What were the two things that the man bought?

The jumbled animal names were COYOTE, WALRUS, JAGUAR, BEAVER, DONKEY and FERRET.

Diary

*Monday, 13 March: Regular meeting. Guest speaker: Liz Summerville, Australian Livestock & Property Association. 6:30 for 7:00 pm,  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club.

*Monday 20th March YOUTH EXCHANGE .  Jackson Wykes, our proposed 2018 Youth Exchange student, and his family will meet AG Bryan Short, DGE George Weston and at least 2 Outward Bound Students who have returned from 12 months abroad.  In addition, we will be re-inducting Bruce Hamilton as a member.

Wednesday, 15 March: Board meeting (Don Dyce residence). 7 pm.

17-19 March, 2017: District 9700 Conference, Orange.

30 April, 2017: District 9700 Assembly (All Directors), West Wyalong High School 9.00am

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #1617-27

Week of 27 February

This week’s meeting featured a presentation by Neil and Coral Druce, proprietors of Junee Licorice & Chocolate and Corowa Whiskey and Chocolate. We heard a most interesting story of how the licorice factry came to be, and how the Druces ended up developing a distillery in an abandoned flour mill in Corowa.  Those in attendance listened with great interest as Neil and Coral described how they almost accidentally ended up becoming one of the largest makers and distributors of licorice in eastern Australia, and how they ended up occupying their first abandoned flour mill in Junee.  We learned how whiskey is made in Scotland and in Australia (the Aussie version made by Neil and Coral is made from barley as the starting grain).  Steve Exton formally thanked Neil and Coral, and presented them with our trademark souvenir, kangaroo-hide coin pouches.  The evening concluded with an entertaining fine session led by Ian Jennings and a meat raffle won by Susan Glassford.

SteveThanksNeil&Coral

On the lighter side

DogGraduateDogDiningDogTerritoryHydrantHead

The puzzler

Scrambled animals

Below are the names of six animals whose letters have been scrambled and divided into two groups of three, but the order of the letters is in sequence in each half.  For example, WOMBAT might be represented as OBA WMT (or WOT MBA, or many other possibilities). One other wrinkle: the groups of three letters for each animal are not in the same row. What are the six animals?

CYO ARU
WLS DNE
EAR FEE
OKY OTE
RRT JAR
AGU BVE

There were several correct answers to last week’s puzzler, including 8-4=4 (move the vertical stick from the plus sign to the open side of the 6, making it an 8), 0+4=4 (move the middle horizontal stick of the 6 to the open side, making it a zero), 5+4=9 (move the lower left vertical stick from the 6 to the top of the 4, making the 6 a 5 and the 4 a nine), and 6-4 NE 4 (moving the vertical stick from the plus sign across the equal sign, making it a “not equal” sign).

Diary

Monday, 6 March: Club Assembly. 6:30 for 7:00 pm,  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club.

Thursday, 9 March: Bingo.  6:45 pm, Allawah Lodge. Rostered: Grahame (Captain), Myffy, Dick, Bernie.

*Monday, 13 March: Regular meeting. Guest speaker: Liz Summerville, Australian Livestock & Property Association. 6:30 for 7:00 pm,  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club.

*Monday 20th March YOUTH EXCHANGE .  Jackson Wykes, our proposed 2018 Youth Exchange student, and his family will meet AG Bryan Short, DGE George Weston and at least 2 Outward Bound Students who have returned from 12 months abroad.

17-19 March, 2017: District 9700 Conference, Orange.

30 April, 2017: District 9700 Assembly (All Directors), Young.