Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #35

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #35

ANZAC DAY 2013

APRIL IS ROTARY MAGAZINE MONTH.

Belgian Rotary Magazine

MONDAY MEETING

This Monday we had our monthly board meeting as well as our business meeting.

We decided on several resolutions and arranged a planning meeting for our incoming President Dick Jennings.

Next week we have the pleasure of the company of Alex Thompson who will be talking about is week on the RYLA course in Wagga Wagga.  Please bring a guest along next Monday night:

Alex Thompson can be seen in the back row 4th from the left of the photo.  The RYLA team is seen here with our Federal Member of parliament the Hon. Michael McCormack member for the Riverina.

DISTRICT CONFERENCE LEETON 2013

This year our Rotary International District 9700 held our annual conference in Leeton.  It was a huge success and in attendance form Coolamon were Dick and Marie Jennings and John Glassford who has now attended 10 D9700 conferences.  Great organisation led by Ruth Wade from Leeton with some excellent and inspiring speakers.  Here are some photos from what was a most enjoyable weekend.

The Art Deco Roxy Theatre in Leeton was the venue for the conference, well worth a visit.  Click on the thumbnail photos below.

DIARY REMINDERS

*Monday  April 29th RYLA Student Alex Thompson and the RC of Wagga Wagga Murrumbidgee.  Gilbert Catering.

*Monday  May 6th. Member’s Social Night Craig Corrigan on his life: “Nuts and Bolts”.   Club Catering.

Thursday May 9th  BINGO Rostered on: Dick Jennings, Mark Reardon, Ian Durham, Rodney Jarrett.

Monday May 13th Business and Board Meeting all members welcome to attend.

Sunday May 19th District 9700 Assembly and Directors Training at Grenfell.  9.00am Sharp.

Saturday June 8th Coolamon Rotary Street Raffle.

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

*Tuesday 25th June Wagga Wagga Sunrise Annual Change Over Dinner Country Club Wagga 6.30pm.

*Wednesday June 26th Henty RC Annual Change Over Dinner.  Community Club 6.30pm.

*Thursday 27th June Wagga Wagga Rotary Change over Dinner.

Saturday June 29th District 9700 Annual Change Over Dinner.

*Monday July 1st COOLAMON 42nd Change Over Night.

*Monday July 1st Temora RC Annual Change Over Dinner. Temora Bowling Club 6.30pm.

*Sunday July 7th Junee RC Annual Change Over LUNCH,  noon for 12.30.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

The Council on Legislation is being held in Chicago on 21-26 April 2013. The Council meets every three years and has the authority to amend RI constitutional documents. The clubs in each district select a Rotarian to represent them at the Council, and these representatives are the voting members. The Council gives clubs a say in the governance of our association. I look forward to a productive meeting.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Sometimes it does take a rocket scientist!

Scientists at NASA built a gun specifically to launch standard 4 pound dead chickens at the windshields of airliners, military jets and the space shuttle, all traveling at maximum velocity. The idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields.

British engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high speed trains. Arrangements were made, and a gun was sent to the British engineers.

When the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it to smithereens, blasted through the control console, snapped the engineer’s back-rest in two, and embedded itself in the back wall of the cabin, like an arrow shot from a bow.

The horrified Brits sent NASA the disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield and begged the U.S. scientists for suggestions.

NASA responded with a one-line memo —

“Defrost the chicken.”

Cojones

An American tourist went into a restaurant in a Spanish provincial city for dinner, and asked to be served the specialty of the house. When the dish arrived, he asked what kind of meat it contained.”Senor, these are the cojones,” the waiter replied.

“The what, you say? ” exclaimed the tourist.”They are the testicles of the bull killed in the ring today,” explained the waiter.  The tourist gulped but tasted the dish anyway, and found it delicious.

Returning the following evening, he asked for the same dish. After he finished the meal, the tourist commented to the waiter: “Today’s cojones are much saltier and smaller than the ones I had yesterday.

“True, senor,” agreed the waiter. “You see the bull, he does not always lose. ”

Another Blonde Joke

A blonde goes into work one morning crying her eyes out.

Her boss, concerned about his employee’s well being, asks sympathetically, “What’s the matter? ”

The blonde replies, “Early this morning I got a phone call saying that my mother had passed away. ” “I’m terribly sorry to hear that. Why don’t you go home for the day… we aren’t terribly busy. Just take the day off to relax and rest. ”

The blonde very calmly explains, “No, I’d be better off here. I need to keep my mind off it and I have the best chance of doing that here. ”

The boss agrees and allows the blonde to work as usual. “If you need anything, just let me know,” he says.

A few hours pass and the boss decides to check on the blonde. He looks out over his office and sees the blonde crying hysterically. He rushes out to her, and asks, “Are you going to be okay? Is there anything I can do to help? ” “No,” replies the blonde, “I just got a call from my sister, and she said that HER mom died too! ”

ROTARY INFORMATION

COUNCIL ON LEGISLATION 2013

John Hewko RI Secretary with Council on Legislation delegates Rupert Ross to his left and Vladimir Donskoy of Russia and David Edwards of Barbados to his right

Our Rotary parliament stared deliberations on our constitution and by-laws this week and here is a brief summary of the first day of debate and discussions:

Today we started the official process of discussing and voting on the enactments which have been submitted by Clubs and Districts over the past several months.  The Council of Legislation (COL) meets every three years with a representative selected to attend from each District.  The purpose is to consider submitted proposals for revisions or additions to our RI Constitution and Bylaws,  standard Club By-laws as well as items contained in the Manual of Procedure (MOP).   Below I will recap some of the more interesting decisions made today that will have an impact on our clubs.

Many of the proposed enactments this morning were about changes to the standard club by-laws regarding the appointment of officers and directors.  While some regions of the world wanted to include Secretaries and/or Treasurers on the board, others wanted to leave this to each club to determine as the current by-laws state.  After much discussion the vote was 285 to 211 in favour of including the Club Secretary as a member of the board.  This will become effective July 1, 2013.

There was an lot of discussion on a variety of attendance recording criteria with many of them having an affect of relaxing or watering down the attendance requirements.  Many felt that the downgrading of attendance expectations would potentially make a club weaker and was almost like admitting defeat, rather than selling Rotary benefits and conducting engaging meetings and activities that members would look forward to attending.

An interesting proposal was to include the words “engaging in a club’s service project” as an additional option to earn credit for attendance.  An amendment to add “and activities” to this clause was passed and then the main motion passed 340 in favour to 165 against.  Previously a similar option was only available if each club passed a motion stating such activity was acceptable.

It was proposed that a member who is ill or physically unable to maintain regular attendance, be allowed to participate via electronic audio-visual means and thus receive attendance credit.  Some felt this would be too costly, would limit fellowship or was not necessary with the leave of absence provisions.  Others felt that if we have accepted eClubs with this same use of technology, then there is no reason we should not support this submission.  Surprisingly it failed 204 to 309.  This is the first example of where I think we lost our common sense.

There was a lot of debate on proposals to allow Clubs to meet a minimum of twice per month or every other week, compared to the present policy of weekly.  This would be up to each club to decide and many felt that inconsistency would be very confusing, especially for those wanting to do make-ups.  It was felt that this would weaken the fellowship and weekly bond we share and go against what Rotary was founded on.  Others suggested we need to keep pace with the changes in our society if we wish to attract younger professionals, many of whom seem to be too busy for a weekly commitment.

Comments were shared regarding the uniqueness of Rotary with weekly meetings and other service clubs like Lions and Kiwanis who meet twice a month.  Results show that their approach does not attract membership and in fact, based on statistics, they are likely worse off than we are.  Others felt that those who cannot make weekly meetings can still maintain their attendance requirement and accomplish the “every other week” concept through the 50% provision.

In the end, there was an emotional plea from one representative who motivated us to “not admit defeat” by lowering the attendance bar with the resultant weakening and eroding of clubs and member commitment.  He got a resounding round of applause.  In our own District we have evidence from a pilot club which indicates moving away from weekly meetings does not improve membership commitment or numbers.  It seems to have a reverse affect.

More details will become available through the ROTI or Rotarians On The Internet Fellowship.  ROTI but you need to sign up:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rotarians/

OR go here for the results of the resolutions:   COL 2013

Thanks to PDG Doug Vincent from Canada for the news out of Evanston today.

PDG Doug Vincent
D7080 COL Representative
RC Woodstock-Oxford, ON Canada
www.DougVincent.com

BUCKET LIST

Chicago Frank Lloyd Wright

The Rookery

209 South LaSalle Street
Chicago, Il 60604

Rotary Club of Chicago or Rotary One.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

LEGACY AUSTRALIA

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Governor of District 9700  Greg Brown

Coolamon Club President  Paul Weston

Coolamon Club Secretary  John Glassford

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

RYLA Wagga Wagga 2013

Here is a photo from the RYLA camp.  Rotary Youth Leadership Awards.  You will see Alex Thompson there in the back row.  Alex will be debriefing our club next Monday night so please come along and support Alex.  Alex says that he had a great time at RYLA.  We have also been told that he impressed the tutors.
We also have two members from the RC of Wagga Wagga Murrumbidgee coming along.  More in this week’s bulletin, bring a guest along with you please.  Gilbert is catering.

District 9700 Sunday Peace Park in Leeton

Apart from some excellent speakers on Sunday morning the highlight today was the declaration of the Rotary Peace Park in Leeton.   We would like to thank all the members of Leeton and Leeton Central Rotary Clubs for the organisation of what was a memorable conference, well done Leeton and DG Greg Brown with Lyn Brown.  I simply do not have much time to write the conference up here and I hope the photos portray the event.

District 9700 Dinner Dance

This was another highlight of the conference in Leeton.  The decorations and food were first class and many of the delegates dressed for the occasion.  The photos do not do the night justice as there was a very good band to help the night along.

Major Matina Jewell inspiring lady.

We had an excellent day on Saturday with some very good speakers including the Hon. Tim Fischer AC of Boree Creek and our past Deputy Prime Minister.   Kim Saville from the School of St. Jude’s was a highlight for me personally.  One of the bravest women that I have heard speak was Major Matina Jewell, on Caught in the Crossfire.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #34

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #34

MONDAY MEETING

Some photos of Ray Foley when he was at Coolamon Rotary.

PRESIDENT PAUL WESTON’S REPORT

President’s report

We’ve had a couple of weeks of meetings featuring presentations by former members who have hit the road in very different directions and shared their interesting travel stories with us.   Last week, Max Chapman, accompanied by wife and travel companion Sue, described their recent canal tour of the Rhine river through Germany, Austria, and Budapest.  Although not actually a shoestring adventure, Max and Sue clearly had a great time seeing the sights on and along the river, and enthusiastically recommended the trip to anyone interested in seeing historic and scenic sights along the gorgeous Rhine River.  One of the major advantages of this type of travel is that there was no need to pack and unpack their luggage as they went along; they stayed in the same room (on the ship) for the duration of the voyage along the river.  The ship stopped frequently as they progressed down the river, so there was ample opportunity to get a close-up look at many of the interesting sights along the way.

Ray Foley’s presentation at this week’s meeting described a very different way to travel.  As you likely recall, Ray and Maria hit the road about 18 months ago, and have been touring Australia by caravan and 4-wheel drive vehicle.  Ray described and illustrated with great photos the first leg of their journey, which took them through Mildura, Lake Eyre, and northward up the middle to Uluru.  Along the way, Ray and Maria have spent lots of time getting to know the history and geography of the places they’ve visited rather than just passing through and ticking off another location on their list.  As a result, they’ve discovered that there’s a lot to see and explore in locations that most people just experience as another postcard stop.  An interesting dimension to Ray and Maria’s tour of Australia is that when they find someplace they want to explore more extensively, they get temporary work in the area and tour at their leisure, basing themselves in caravan parks or free-camping where possible.  A very interesting way to get to know this great country in exquisite detail!  Ray and Maria have also ventured westward through Western Australia and are planning to tour Queensland next; stay tuned for the next episode of Ray and Maria’s “Living the Dream” tour of Australia!

Next week’s board meeting may not offer much in the way of entertainment, but I hope you’re able to attend so we can carry out the more mundane but vitally important business that allows our club to continue to have a positive impact on our community and beyond.

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

Friday 19th to Sunday 21st April 2013   D9700 Conference Leeton.

Monday 22nd. April Business and Board Meeting  Club catering.

*Monday 6th. May Member’s Social Night Craig Corrigan on his life: “Nuts and Bolts”.   Club Catering.

Saturday June 8th Coolamon Rotary Street Raffle. June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

*Monday July 1st our 42nd Change Over Night. *Partners and Guests Night.

More encouraging news for our fight against polio–the Scientific Declaration on Polio Eradication went live this morning! More than 400 scientists, doctors and technical experts from 80 countries signed the declaration, in a rousing show of support for the new polio endgame plan. Our very own Dr. John Sever is one of the signatories.

I encourage you to read the full declaration and the names of all signatories. http://bit.ly/10WLesN

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Perfect Man

A man walked out to the street and caught a taxi just going by. He got into the taxi, and the cabbie said, “Perfect timing. You’re just like Brian!

Passenger: “Who?”

Cabbie: “Brian Sullivan. He’s a guy who did everything right all the time. Like my coming along when you needed a cab, things happen like that to Brian Sullivan, every single time.”

Passenger: “There are always a few clouds over everybody.”

Cabbie: “Not Brian Sullivan. He was a terrific athlete. He could have won the Grand Slam at tennis. He could golf with the pros. He sang like an opera baritone and danced like a Broadway star and you should have heard him play the piano. He was an amazing guy.”

Passenger: “Sounds like he was something really special.”

Cabbie: “There’s more. He had a memory like a computer. He remembered everybody’s birthday. He knew all about wine, which foods to order and which fork to eat them with. He could fix anything. Not like me. I change a fuse, and the whole street blacks out. But Brian Sullivan, he could do everything right.”

Passenger: “Wow. Some guy then.”

Cabbie: “He always knew the quickest way to go in traffic and avoid traffic jams. Not like me, I always seem to get stuck in them. But Brian, he never made a mistake, and he really knew how to treat a woman and make her feel good. He would never answer her back even if she was in the wrong; and his clothing was always immaculate, shoes highly polished too. He was the perfect man! He never made a mistake. No one could ever measure up to Brian Sullivan.”

Passenger: “An amazing fellow. How did you meet him?”

Cabbie: “Well, I never actually met Brian. He died. I’m married to his bloody widow”.
ERIC VAN SOEST

Eight Again

A man asked his wife what she’d like for her birthday.

“I’d love to be eight again.” she replied.

On the morning of her birthday, he arose early, made her a nice big bowl of Coco Pops, and then took her off to the local theme park.

What a day! He put her on every ride in the park: the Death Slide, the Wall of Fear, the Screaming Monster Roller Coaster, every thing there was.

Five hours later she staggered out of the theme park. Her head was reeling and her stomach felt upside down.

Right away, they journeyed to a McDonald’s where her loving husband ordered her a Happy Meal with extra fries and a refreshing chocolate shake.

Then it was off to the movies: the Lion King, a hot dog, popcorn, all the Coke she could drink, and her favorite M&M’s.

What a fabulous adventure!

Finally she wobbled home with her husband and collapsed into bed exhausted.

He leaned over his precious wife with a big smile and lovingly asked,

Well, Dear, what was it like being eight again?”

Her eyes slowly opened and her expression suddenly changed.

“I meant my dress size you idiot!!!!!!!!

The moral of the story: Even when a man is listening, he’s gonna get it wrong

ROTARY INFORMATION

World Rotaract Week

Two decades after the first Rotary club was chartered in Ukraine, the country’s youth have embraced Rotary in a big way.

Ukraine now has 24 Rotaract clubs — Rotary’s service clubs for people ages 18 to 30 — many of them focusing on the challenges facing the country today. In Kyiv, Rotaractors in the capital city’s four clubs collaborate often on service projects, including a campaign to draw attention to the plight of stray animals.

Members of the Rotaract Club of Kyiv Multinational take time to honor their elders (see gallery above): For nearly three years, they’ve been visiting a nursing home in Peremoha, about 40 miles away.

“These are the people who did their best for future generations, for us, to live in a free country,” says club treasurer and past president Taras Mytkalyk. “We wanted to fill their lives with a feeling of being needed.”

The Rotaract Club of Kyiv-Centre promotes health and wellness through an HIV awareness campaign, and has worked with Rotaract clubs in Russia, Belarus, Germany, and Romania to raise over US$13,000 to equip a medical center in a rural village in Ukraine.

Rotaract clubs are either community or university based and sponsored by a local Rotary club. World Rotaract Week, 11-17 March, commemorates the 1968 chartering of the first club, in North Carolina, USA.

During the week, Rotaract clubs are asked to partner with their sponsor Rotary clubs on a service project and to encourage a nearby Rotary club to sponsor a new Rotaract club in the area. Also, members of the Rotaract and sponsor clubs are encouraged to attend each other’s meetings.

BUCKET LIST

Eilean Donan Castle, Scotland

Rotary District 1010 Scotland

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Clean Water

Our mission and vision

We want to help every less fortunate person in the world to have clean drinking water. More than one billion people lack this most basic commodity. Having safe drinking water helps to liberate people so they can live healthier, fuller, and more productive lives. 6,000 children die every day from water borne diseases. We want to help solve this problem and lessen the suffering.

We will help find International and Host Rotary Partners so they can do Water Projects in developing counties. Through our fundraising efforts we expect to support these Projects financially. It is our goal to make more people aware of this tremendous worldwide problem.

WATER TEAM INTERNATIONAL

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #33

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #33

MEETING MONDAY

Well this is the Clayton’s bulletin or the bulletin that you have when not having a bulletin!  As I was not there and as I have not had a report on Max and Sue Chapman’s talk I can only supply you with photos of Max and Sue, in times gone by.

Max was one of our most active members and we have lost a very hard working Rotarian.  Max has joined Wagga Wagga Sunrise and is doing some great work there.

So here are some photos of Max and Sue Chapman.

Sue Chapman pinning Max’s Paul Harris Fellow pin back in 2008.

Max hard at work at the clearance sale at Kiambo.

Max Chapman at the open garden days at Kiambo

Sue Chapman at here beautiful open garden days at Kiambo.

DIARY REMINDERS

Monday 8th -Friday 13th April RYLA Rotary Youth Leadership Awards.  Alex Thompson is our club’s sponsored student this year at Camp Kurrajong, Oura Road, Wagga Wagga.  RYLA web Site.

Thursday April 11th Rotary Bingo: Rostered on are: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Garth Perkin

***New Event:  Friday April 12th TRIVIA NIGHT in aid of the Ganmain/ Coolamon Hospital Auxiliary.  Coolamon Sport and Recreation Club 7.00pm.  $10/head, best bet make up a table, contact Maree Jennings on 6927 3074 for further details.

*Monday 15th April Maria and Ray Foley Guest Speakers  “On the Road Again”.

*Monday 29th. April member’s Social Night Craig Corrigan on his life: “Nuts and Bolts”.   Club Catering.

Saturday June 8th Coolamon Rotary Street Raffle. June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

*Monday July 1st our 42nd Change Over Night. *Partners and Guests Night.

It was a real treat for me to see the cherry blossoms bloom during my visit to Washington D.C. Surrounded by those beautiful trees, I felt as if I was back home in Japan. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to District 7620 Past Governor Tom Kwako for taking me to this beautiful site.

ワシントンD.C.は桜が満開でした。思いがけずアメリカで花見を楽しむことができました。

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

In a hurried announcement this morning The Australian Defence Force released details of their latest clean energy developments in an alarming report stating that a new breed of autonomous solar powered wombat soldier will be deployed for domestic and overseas combat situations.

In a joint effort between the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the Australian Defence Force (ADF) called the Autonomous Wombat Research Department (AWRD) there are firm plans in place to deploy these genetically modified autonomous crime ‘regulating’ wombats onto the streets of Australia for an initial trial period before ‘rolling out’ the wombats to the rest of the world.

Full Story Here

Three Wishes

A woman was out golfing one day when she hit her ball into the woods. She went into the woods to look for it and found a frog in a trap. The frog said to her, “If you release me from this trap, I will grant you 3 wishes.” The woman freed the frog and the frog said, “Thank you, but I failed to mention that there was a condition to your wishes—that whatever you wish for, your husband will get 10 times more or better?”

The woman said, “That would be o.k.,” and for her first wish, she wanted to be the most beautiful woman in the world. The frog warned her, “You do realize that this wish will also make your husband the most handsome man in the world, an Adonis, that women will flock to.” The woman replied, “That will be o.k. because I will be the most beautiful woman and he will only have eyes for me.”

So, KAZAM, she’s the most beautiful woman in the world. For her second wish, she wanted to be the richest woman in the world. The frog said, “That will make your husband the richest man in the world and he will be ten times richer than you.” The woman said, “That will be o.k. because what is mine is his and what is his is mine.” So, KAZAM, she’s the richest woman in the world! The frog then inquired about her third wish, and she answered,

“I’d like a MILD heart attack.”

ERIC VAN SOEST

The Eggs

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband. Suddenly, her husband came into the kitchen.

“Careful,” he said, “CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my GOD! You’re cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW!

We need more butter. Oh my GOD! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They’re going 2 STICK! Careful.. CAREFUL!

I said be CAREFUL! You NEVER listen to me when you’re cooking! Never! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind? Don’t forget to salt them.

You know you always forget that. Use the salt. USE THE SALT! THE SALT!” The wife stared at him. “What is wrong with you? You think I don’t know how to fry a couple of eggs?”

The husband calmly replied, “I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I’m driving.”

ERIC VAN SOEST.

ROTARY INFORMATION

WE ARE THIS CLOSE

Help us create a polio-free future for every child, everywhere. There’s less than 1% to go. This is our chance to do something truly good for all the world’s children – and, in the process, we can prove just what is possible when humanity works together. The heroes in the fight to end polio

:

Global Citizen Web Site

BUCKET LIST

Seeing as we missed Max and Sue’s talk on Europe on a shoe string here is one place on the bucket list:

VENICE.

Rotary Club of Venezia Mestre Torre

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Shimba and Lempaute at Dame Daphne Sheldrick’s elephant orphanage.

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #32

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #32

EASTER SATURDAY MARKETS AND HOT RODS IN COOLAMON

A great day all round thanks to all the volunteers from Rotary their partners and others.

Photos below thanks to Paul Weston and Ian Durham.

Click on the images to enlarge the photos.

PRESIDENT PAUL WESTON’S REPORT

President’s report

No Rotary meeting this week, but that doesn’t mean the Rotary wheel hasn’t stopped rolling.  This past weekend saw a great community turnout for our markets and Grand Designs, Coolamon Style.  The exact number of visitors is unknown, but it’s clear that in excess of two thousand people were on hand to cruise the markets, visit the houses featured in Grand Designs and admire the amazing hot rods on display in the main street.  The stall holders offering freshly prepared food at the markets sold out, and the other stall holders had an equally successful day.  The many hundreds of visitors to the shire saw the best that Coolamon has to offer.  We raised approximately $5000 for the Men’s Shed from Grand Designs, and added over $1000 to our own coffers  from the raffle.  All in all, it was a great success.

Next Monday’s meeting should be of interest to all the travellers in the club, which number quite a few.  Former Coolamon Rotarian Max Chapman will be making a presentation entitled “Europe on a Shoestring”.  It should be an interesting talk, so please plant to come, and bring your partner.  Hope to see you there!

Yours in Rotary,
Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

*Monday 8th April Max Chapman Europe on a Shoe String.  Gilbert Catering.

Monday 8th -Friday 13th April RYLA Rotary Youth Leadership Awards.  Alex Thompson is our club’s sponsored student this year at Camp Kurrajong, Oura Road, Wagga Wagga.  RYLA web Site.

Thursday April 11th Rotary Bingo: Rostered on are: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Garth Perkin

***New Event:  Friday April 12th TRIVIA NIGHT in aid of the Ganmain/ Coolamon Hospital Auxiliary.  Coolamon Sport and Recreation Club 7.00pm.  $10/head, best bet make up a table, contact Maree Jennings on 6927 3074 for further details.

*Monday 15th April Maria and Ray Foley Guest Speakers  “On the Road Again”.

*Monday 29th. April member’s Social Night Craig Corrigan on his life: “Nuts and Bolts”.   Club Catering.

Saturday June 8th Coolamon Rotary Street Raffle.

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

*Monday July 1st our 42nd Change Over Night.

*Partners and Guests Night.

I enjoyed celebrating Holi, or a festival of colours, at the Rotary Club of Delhi Ashoka, in India.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

DROP BEARS

Drop bears are less likely to attack people with Australian accents, according to experts at the University of Tasmania.
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/drop-bears-prefer-travellers-says-study.htm
DROP BEARS TARGET PEOPLE with foreign accents more often than those who are Australian-born, according to new research.

The study, conducted in a drop-bear hot-spot in New South Wales, aimed to gather data around the behaviour and ecology of the elusive species.

There has been relatively little scientific research into the drop bear (Thylarctos plummetus), which the Australian Museum describes as a “large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the koala.” Populations are thought mainly to exist in forested coastal regions of eastern and southern Australia, stretching from the Cape York Peninsula to Tasmania

10 pints of Guinness

A Texan walks into a pub in Ireland and clears his voice to the crowd of drinkers. He says, “I hear you Irish are a bunch of hard drinkers. I’ll give $500 American dollars to anybody in here who can drink 10 pints of Guinness back-to-back.”

The room is quiet, and no one takes up the Texan’s offer. One man even leaves.

Thirty minutes later the same gentleman who left shows back up and taps the Texan on the shoulder. “Is your bet still good?” asks the Irishman.

The Texan says yes and asks the bartender to line up 10 pints of Guinness. Immediately the Irishman tears into all 10 of the pint glasses, drinking them all back-to-back.

The other pub patrons cheer as the Texan sits in amazement. The Texan gives the Irishman the $500 and says, “If ya don’t mind me asking’, where did you go for that 30 minutes you were gone?”

The Irishman replies, “Oh… I had to go to the pub down the street to see if I could do it first.”

A Push

A man and his wife are awakened at 3 o’clock in the morning by a loud pounding on the door. The man gets up and goes to the door where a drunken stranger stands in the pouring down rain.

“Can you give me a push?” he asks while hanging onto the door frame.

“Not a chance” says the husband — “It’s 3 o’clock in the morning!”. He slams the door and returns to bed.

“Who was it?” asks his wife.

“Just some drunk wanting a push” he answers.

“Did you help him?” she asks.

“No, I didn’t — it’s three in the morning and raining like crazy out.”

“Well, you have a short memory” says his wife. “Can’t you remember about three months ago when we broke down on vacation and those two strangers helped us? I think you should help him.”

The man does as he is told and gets dressed and goes out into the pounding rain and calls out into the dark, “Hello, are you still there?”

“Yes,” comes the answer.

“Do you still want a push?” calls out the husband.

“Yes, please!” comes the reply from the dark.

“Where are you?” asks the husband.

“Over here on the swing!” the drunk replies.

ROTARY INFORMATION

This week we look at the wonderful work being done by our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay Rotary in Cape Town.

Beautiful Hout Bay

Some photos below of the hospitably and fellowship that we had the pleasure of receiving form all the members of Hout Bay.

Also some of the amazing work that they do for those not so fortunate who live in the township of Imizamo Yethu in Hout Bay.

Our next visit will be in May 2015 please come join us for the time of your life.  These South Africans know how to party.

Some of their work:

1.  Coolamon House

2. Nonceba Centre

3. Education

4. James House

Here is the latest Bay Breezes and see how this club works.  I know that PP Patrick McLaughlin reads our bulletin and I am sure that all the members from Coolamon wish Patrick a speedy recovery.

Bay Breezes 30 March 2013

Hout Bay Rotary Club Web Site

BUCKET LIST

HOLI FESTIVAL INDIA

HINDUS celebrated the festival of Holi this week by painting each other in bright colours, distributing sweets and squirting water at one another. The holiday celebrated mainly in India and Nepal marks the beginning of spring. Bonfires are set on the eve of Holi, and the next day Hindus throw coloured dry powder and water in celebration.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

THE NONCEBA PROJECT by Hout Bay Rotary

The Ashley Kaimowitz Memorial Fund was established by the Rotary Club of Hout Bay in support of the Nonceba Centre in Cape Town, a welfare project for sexually abused and raped children.  Past President Don Peters of Rotary Hout Bay, who was awarded a Sapphire Award for his sterling efforts to Rotary over the years, coordinates the contributions of the four Rotary clubs that support the fund: RC Sea Point, RC Claremont, RC Kirstenbosch and RC Kromboom.

The heart of the matter

This is a story of a young lady from a privileged background who joined Rotary’s  programme Interact while at school in Cape Town.  Ashley was a compassionate, loving and wise young woman and she recognized the horrific problems facing society.  In her own words, “I have learnt that even though there are horrors facing our world there is good buried within it, evident in those willing to reach out a hand and a heart to help.  I firmly believe that the life of one person, if helped, can change the course of the world, as you never know who that one little girl or boy could be or could achieve.”

Ashley began her journey in the township of Khayelitsha close to Cape Town  helping children who had been sexually assaulted, raped, abused or were victims of family violence.  Ashley was so overwhelmed emotionally that she knew that her purpose on this earth was nothing less than to change it.

A dream commences

At sixteen years old Ashley became totally involved in the Nonceba Family Counselling Centre.  She made a video film of the centre and she turned out to be a first class fundraiser.  In 2004, Ashley was accepted for a Rotary Exchange tour to Japan and whilst there continued to promote the cause of abused children by showing her film.  She then returned and continued her work in Khayelitsha.

In March 2005, Ashley was tragically killed by a drunk driver ending a life filled with promise.   In a tribute to her, a Rotarian wrote, “Everybody, from adults to children, all religions and cultures, working across all divides, learned much from Ashley.  We learnt about humility, determination and cheerfulness when faced with overwhelming and challenging circumstances.”

To support Hout Bay Rotary and the Nonceba Project please contact me directly: [email protected]

Websites of Interest