Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #20

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #20

NOVEMBER IS ROTARY FOUNDATION  MONTH

Centurion

For just $2 per week, less than a cup of coffee, you can change someones life for the better!

A Centurion is one who contributes $100 per year to the work of the Foundation. That’s just $2 per week! You can make a donation online now!

The brain child of PDG Peter Walsh, the Centurion was first set up to encourage members to donate personally to the Foundation. Initially it was confined to members who had achieved the status of Paul Harris Fellow, but in recent times it has been opened to all members of clubs in District 9700.

Download the Centurion Form here.

MEETING MONDAY NOVEMBER 24th. 2014

Last night we had a good meeting with 11 members in attendance.

President Garth Perkin opened the meeting with little fuss and spoke briefly on the meeting some of attended at Junee last week.  Garth was impressed with Junee’s lack of ceremony i.e. grace and the like.  To be continued at a later date.

Garth Perkin also announced that he will be joining the Mount Kenya 2015 Climb and there was much discussion on this and several bets were laid on Garth reaching the summit of Point Lenana!

Ian Durham announced the RYDA (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness) week will be from the 9-13th March at the Wagga Wagga Showgrounds and we are due on the Friday 13th March.

Leslie Weston our membership Director outlined the upcoming Rotary Interest BBQ to be held at Garth and Marg’s home on Friday 5th December.  Leslie has sent out 72 invitations to people in our Shire who may be interested joining our club and to learn about our members and what we do.  All members are requested to bring their partners on the night.  Members are requested to bring a plate please.

Secretary Paul read out the list of schools in our Shire that will need a representative from our club to attend their presentation nights to hand over the cheques for our annual giving to each school.

Please check the diary below for upcoming events.

A good night of fellowship followed after the meeting.

Diary Reminders

Wednesday 26th November Mount Kenya Presentation at Henty.

Monday 1st December TBA.

*Friday December 5th ROTARY  INTEREST BBQ at Marg and Garth’s home Rands Tank Coolamon.

Monday 8th December Board meeting.

Thursday  11th December, BINGO Grahame Miles (Captain), Myffy Collette, Garth Perkin, Bernadette Milne

*Monday 15th December Guest Speaker Scott Martin Coolamon Shire Council Last Meeting for 2014. 

*Sunday December 21st Annual Christmas Party at Marg and Garth’s home “Rands Tank.”

NYE December 31st Coolamon Fireworks Food Van.

Wednesday 4th February 2015 Joint Lions Rotary Meeting in Coolamon.

Thursday 12th February BINGO:   Ian  Durham  (Captain), Paul Weston, Rod Jarrett, Leslie Weston

*Sunday March 8th The Rock Challenge Mount Kenya ANZAC Day 2015 Climb.

Monday 9th-Friday 13th March RYDA at the Wagga Wagga Showgrounds.

Saturday 21st March to Sunday 22nd March D 9700 CONFERENCE at Cowra.  Book Now for early bird discounts.

Saturday 11th April – Sunday May 10th Mount Kenya ANZAC DAy 2015 Climb in Kenya.

Saturday 6th June – Tuesday 9th June 2015 RI Convention Sao Paulo BRAZIL.

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT GARY HUANG

Gary in Berlin 2 Gary in Berlin

RIP Gary Huang in Berlin last week.

ROTARY DAYS VIDEO CONTEST

If your club or district is hosting a Rotary Days event, here’s a little incentive to shoot video. In addition to sharing these special moments with your fellow Rotary members, President Huang will recognize one grand prize-winning club or district with a special award plaque. The winning video, along with other hand-selected finalists chosen by President Huang, will be featured on Rotary.org and possibly at the 2015 Rotary International Convention in São Paulo, Brazil.

RULES

Submissions must be:

• No more than three minutes long
  • In English or English subtitles
  • Uploaded to YouTube

HOW TO ENTER

To submit a video, send an email to with the video’s YouTube link and a brief description by 31 March 2015.

DISTRICT GOVERNOR DAVID KENNEDY D 9700

DG

Orange Daybreak Project CPR Training

Orange Daybreak CPR 1

Orange Daybreak CPR 2

Last week 12 Rotarians attended a CPR training course conducted by Rotarian/Accredited First Aid teacher Joanne McRae.

Would you be able to assist someone in need?

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Domed

The Bagpipes

Enjoy every moment of life. As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper’s cemetery in the Nova Scotia back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn’t stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight.
There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.

I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I’ve never played before for this homeless man

And as I played “Amazing Grace”, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head was hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, “I never seen nothing like that before and I’ve been puttin’ in septic tanks for more than twenty years…………….”

50 shades of grey

ROTARY INFORMATION

ROTARY DAY AT THE UNITED NATIONS HIGHLIGHTS THE STRENGTH OF PARTNERSHIPS

UN RI Day

Participants attended panel discussions about water and peace, youth and peace, economic development, women’s health, and human trafficking.  Photo Credit: Rotary International/Monika Lozinska

To strengthen their 69-year-old partnership, leaders from Rotary and the United Nations met this month in New York City for Rotary Day at the United Nations. The two organizations began working together with the aim of maintaining peace after World War II. Today, the relationship has evolved to include humanitarian work in areas like gender equality, child and maternal health, and disease treatment and prevention.

While the UN’s Millennium Development Goals are set to expire in 2015, its leaders are preparing for an even more ambitious humanitarian agenda of eradicating extreme poverty by 2030, said Amina J. Mohammed, special adviser of the UN secretary-general on post-2015 development planning, speaking at the event.

The UN considers those living on less than $1.25 per day to be in extreme poverty. Around the world, 1.2 billion people fall into this category.

FULL STORY

ONLY IN AFRICA

Traffic lights

OUT OF AFRICA

Wart hog fire

Wart hogs hogging the fire!

MOUNT KENYA 2015 ANZAC DAY CLIMB

This will be a permanent section for the next 12 months in our weekly bulletin and I will update stories to this article as and when we get them.   The Australian Commonwealth Department of Veterans Affairs have approved our application to be part of the Centenary for ANZAC and we are allowed to use the logo below with some rules on it’s use:

The Mount Kenya 2015 web site can be found here on clicking the banner below:

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2014 -2015

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species

RAGES WEB SITE

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Gary Huang

Governor of District 9700 David Kennedy

Coolamon Club President  Garth Perkin

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #19

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #19

ROTARY FOUNDATION BEQUEST SOCIETY

Bequest 1

Your generous contributions to The Rotary Foundation are essential to securing and growing Rotary programs throughout the world. We recognize donors to express our gratitude for your commitment and offer individual and club recognitions, as well as naming recognitions that let you honor a friend or family member with a named or endowed gift.  One great way to contribute to our Foundation is by joining the Bequest Society:

• Bequest Society member, when you give $10,000 or more via your estate plans. All society members receive recognition from the Trustees of The Rotary Foundation, and donors can choose to receive an engraved crystal recognition piece and a Bequest Society pin.

MEETING MONDAY NOVEMBER 17th. 2014

Last night we had a small turn out due to the harvesting in our area has begun and the framer members are very busy right now.  We did have 11 members attend a lively meeting.  We discussed the Rotary Interest BBQ coming up on Friday December 5th at President Garth’s home. Leslie Weston our Membership Director now has 120 invitations to send out to prospective interested people in our Shire.   President Garth encourages all our members and partners to attend on Friday 5th December.

John Glassford spoke on the progress of the Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day climb and announced The Rock Challenge set for Sunday March 8th at The Rock.  This is a joint Rotary Club project with Wagga Wagga Sunrise, Henty and Kooringal clubs.  John also read out the letter from D9700 endorsing the climb and announcing that it is now a D9700 endorsed project.

The last meeting for 2014 will be on December 15th with Scott Martin from the Coolamon Shire as our guest speaker.

The Christmas Party is set for Sunday December 21st at Garth and Marg’s home Rand’s Tank.

Ian Durham read a poem dedicated to Armistice Day a moving tribute to those who served.

Diary Reminders

Tuesday 18th November Junee RC Commandant at ARTC (i.e. Kapooka) Colonel Stephen Jobson Guest Speaker.

Thursday 20th November Mount Kenya Planning Meeting in Wagga Wagga.

Monday 24th November TBA.

*Friday December 5th ROTARY  INTEREST BBQ at Marg and Garth’s home Rands Tank Coolamon.

Monday 1st December TBA.

Thursday  11th December, BINGO Grahame Miles (Captain), Myffy Collette, Garth Perkin, Bernadette Milne

*Monday 15th December Guest Speaker Scott Martin Coolamon Shire Council Last Meeting for 2014. 

*Sunday December 21st Annual Christmas Party at Marg and Garth’s home “Rands Tank.”

Thursday 12th February BINGO:   Ian  Durham  (Captain), Paul Weston, Rod Jarrett, Leslie Weston

*Sunday March 8th The Rock Challenge Mount Kenya ANZAC Day 2015 Climb.

Saturday 21st March to Sunday 22nd March D 9700 CONFERENCE at Cowra.  Book Now for early bird discounts.

Saturday 11th April – Sunday May 10th Mount Kenya ANZAC DAy 2015 Climb in Kenya.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

Gary in Italy

Italy’s Minister of Health, Beatrice Lorenzin, accepted Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang’s invitation to join Rotary.

Gary in New York

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang presented Paul Wen-liang Chang, Ambassador from the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in New York City, with a Rotary president-themed tie.

Also in the photo, on the far left is Past Rotary International President Frank Devlyn, and on the far right is Corinna Huang.

DG

DISCON

Book now for the early bird discount.

Grenfell

Trevor Lobb from Rotary with The Henry Lawson High School (THLHS) teacher Megan Crossley with THLHS Students Emily Tognetti, Cameron McKellar, Emma Taylor and Melissa Causer.

The Grenfell Rotary Club held their meeting last week at the Henry Lawson High School.

The schools Hospitality Students looking very professional, catered with a beautiful meal that was served with finesse.

Following the meal the Rotarians and guests visited a modern day classroom and were shown the Smart board and the many applications now so common place in education. It  was great to see how THLHS is responding to modern needs.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Divorce

Husbands and Wives 

A group of women were at a seminar on how to live in a loving relationship with their husband. The women were asked, “How many of you love your husband?”

All the women raised their hands.

Then they were asked, “When was the last time you told your husband you loved him?”

Some women answered today, a few yesterday, and some couldn’t remember.

The women were then told to take out their cell phones and text their husband: “I love you, sweetheart.” Then, the women were then told to exchange phones with another person, and to read aloud the text message they received, in response.

Here are some of the replies:

(I think some are hilarious…if you have been married for quite a while, a sign of true love… Like who else would you reply to in such a succinct and honest way. )

1. Who the heck is this?
    2. Eh, mother of my children, are you sick or what?
    3. Yeh, and I love you too. What’s up with you?
    4. What now? Did you crash the car again?
    5. I don’t understand what you mean?
    6. What did you do now?
    8. Don’t beat about the bush, just tell me how much you need?
    9. Am I dreaming?
    10. If you don’t tell me who this message is actually for, someone will get hurt.
    11. I thought we agreed you wouldn’t drink during the day.
    12. Your mother is coming to stay with us, isn’t she???

A book

ROTARY INFORMATION

During his tour of the Middle East in 1928 and 1929, Jim Davidson (Interesting man a Canadian who started the 1st Rotary Club in Australia), flew from Greece to Egypt for a brief visit to Cairo where on December 29, 1928, the Cairo Club was inaugurated. This new club in was due to be presented with a Rotary flag as the first club in the country. For this special occasion, the officers had an original idea. Its members chartered a Nile steamer for the occasion. On the morning of March 11, 1929, the Rotarians and their guests embarked on the boat and steamed sedately up the river.

RC Cairo

Luncheon was served afloat and was followed by the presentation of the Charter and Flag, possibly the first and only time this has been done on a boat. Some time after tea, the party returned to Cairo. Thus, the Cairo Club was launched!!

ONLY IN AFRICA

Ele Car

One minute we are just chilling, engines off, watching this massive elephant bull browsing on the opposite side of the road.  Next thing you know, he is heading our way…gave a warning ”DONT MOVE” ear flap as for some or other reason he had already decided that the narrowest of spaces between our two cars is where he absolutely had to pass through.  Would you believe that he did not touch either of our cars as he silently passed through the gap ?

A ”change of pant’ moment, I won’t lie!

OUT OF AFRICA

Cape Cobra

Some of us have walked on this beach in Hout Bay.

Ah just a ‘Massive’ Cape Cobra having a stroll and a swim on Hout Bay beach. Incredible pics taken by Jeffrey Rink ! The Cape Cobra is estimated to be about 2 metres long!

This will be a permanent section for the next 12 months in our weekly bulletin and I will update stories to this article as and when we get them.   The Australian Commonwealth Department of Veterans Affairs have approved our application to be part of the Centenary for ANZAC and we are allowed to use the logo below with some rules on it’s use:

RotaryMBS_RGB

PP John Glassford

Mt Kenya 2015 Climb Coordinator

Dear John

Thank you for the documentation you forwarded to me for the District 9700 Board to consider with respect to the planning and other matters concerning the Mt Kenya 2015 Climb.

The Board has asked me to advise you that you now have their support and this project can be considered as an approved project of our District.

We wish you well as you continue to plan this activity with your committee and promote it through the Rotary Clubs and their communities in District 9700.

In Rotary Service

PDG Ian Tooke

D9700 Secretary

11 November 2014.

FOOT NOTE

Who

Some great ideas for the induction package for new members from the Rotary Club of Nairobi:

1511657_790208381036533_5559049813157138883_n

10360448_790208611036510_216086006910041412_n

RAGES WEB SITE

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #18

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #18

Arch Klumpf

PRIP Arch C Klumph  RI President 1916-1917

Founder of the Rotary Foundation

1917 Arch C. Klumph, Rotary’s sixth president, proposed to the Rotary International Convention in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, the creation of an “endowment fund for Rotary . . . for the purpose of doing good in the world in charitable, educational, and other avenues of community service.”

1928 The endowment fund had grown to $US5,739.07, and it was renamed The Rotary Foundation. It became a distinct entity within Rotary International. Five Trustees, including Klumph, were appointed to “hold, invest, manage, and administer all of its property. . . as a single trust, for the furtherance of the purposes of RI.”

1930 The Foundation made its first grant of US $500 to the International Society for Crippled Children, created by Rotarian Edgar F. “Daddy” Allen, which grew into the Easter Seals organization

1945 Forty-nine Rotarians help draft the United Nations Charter in San Francisco. Many of the delegates from around the world were also members of Rotary clubs

Read the history of our Foundation below:

Our Foundation’s History.

MEETING MONDAY NOVEMBER 10th. 2014

04 Change Over 2014-2015 July 7th 005

President Elect 2015-2016 Wayne Lewis and Helen Lewis with Christine Lorraine.

Tonight we held our AGM and election of office bearers for 2015-2016 under President Elect Wayne Lewis.

Here is the full list of those members who volunteered to serve on our board:

President Elect Wayne Lewis

President Elect Nominee  Don Dyce

Secretary  Paul Weston

Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Club Administration Director  Christine Atkinson

Service Projects Director  Don Dyce

Membership Director  Leslie Weston

Foundation Director  John Glassford

Youth Services Director  Ian Durham

Public Relations Director  Myffe Clarke

Vocational Services Director  Dick Jennings

Vice-President {Immediate Past President) Garth Perkin

Sergeant @ Arms  Ted Hutcheon

Congratulations to all!

Trivia 4

President Elect Nominee 2016-2017 Don Dyce and Sally Farmer well done Don.

Diary Reminders

Monday 17th November Planning Meeting Membership.

Tuesday 18th November Junee RC Commandant at ARTC (i.e. Kapooka) Colonel Stephen Jobson Guest Speaker.

Thursday 20th November Mount Kenya Planning Meeting in Wagga Wagga.

Monday 24th November TBA.

Gary and the Pope

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang gave Pope Francis the Rotary International Award of Honor.

Gary Brazil

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang loves Brazil and invites you to join him at the 2015 Rotary Convention in São Paulo, from 6 to 9 June!

Using hashtag #ricon15 and mentioning Rotary on your social media channels, tell your friends that you’re going to the convention. For an extra twist, use social media to challenge five of your Rotary or Rotaract friends to register for convention, too.

DG

A great honour to be involved in the declaration of Cootamundra as a Rotary Peace Town and the opening of the new rotunda. Also a great pleasure to meet the Governor of NSW, His Excellency David Hurley who was kind enough to attend this auspicious occasion. Congratulations to the Cootamundra Rotary Club and The Council headed by Mayor Jim Slattery for bringing this all to fruition.

DG and the Governor

DG at Cootamundra

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Hokey Pokey

The Meteor

As a jet was flying over Arizona on a clear day, the copilot was providing his passengers with a running commentary about landmarks over the PA system.

Coming up on the right, you can see the Meteor Crater, which is a major tourist attraction in northern Arizona. It was formed when a lump of nickel and iron, roughly 150 feet in diameter and weighing 300,000 tons, struck the earth 50,000 years ago at about 40,000 miles an hour, scattering white-hot debris for miles in every direction. The hole measures nearly a mile across and is 570 feet deep.

The Blonde lady sitting next to me exclaimed: Wow, look! It just missed the highway!

Leunig 21

ROTARY INFORMATION

Youth

Chicago improv coach Dina Facklis (center) demonstrates how to participate in an improvisational session on the first day of the summit, which served as an icebreaker for attendees.

Photo Credit: Rotary International/Alyce Henson

A two-day Young Professionals Summit, held in Chicago in September, gave 32 Rotary leaders ages 25 to 40 the opportunity to share their thoughts about their Rotary experiences, reflect on their stories, and exchange ideas.

Although there are many young leaders within Rotary’s global community, there are few opportunities for them to connect with other young professionals and to add their voices to the discussion. The aim of the Young Professionals Summit was to engage participants in open and candid discussions about what’s working now in Rotary, ideas for improvements, and ways to extend positive experiences with Rotary to young professionals around the world. Organizers hope that the participants will hold similar events in their own cities to bring more young professionals’ voices into conversations about membership, diversity, and the transition from Rotaract and Rotary.

READ MORE HERE

ONLY IN AFRICA

The bike

OUT OF AFRICA

Big Tim who featured at the Kenyan Night in Ganmain has had an attempt on his life lucky that Paula Kahumbu saw him in pain and called the Kenyan Wildlife Service and the David Sheldrick Foundation who went to his aid and saved him.

Big Tim 1

Successfully darted, Tim’s wound is treated, as he lies with his tusks framing Mount Kilimanjaro

Big Tim 2

Back on his feet post treatment, Tim watches as those that helped him depart.

LATEST NEWS ON THE TEAM SO FAR.

So far the following people have indicated that they will be going to Kenya to climb Mount Kenya:

PDG Fred Loneragan Wagga Wagga Sunrise Rotary

John Glassford Coolamon Rotary

Mark Janetzki Henty Rotary

Don Dyce Coolamon Rotary

Alex Thompson Coolamon

Harry Nixon Kooringal Rotary

David Nixon RAAF Newcastle

Chris Finkel Forbes Rotary

Peter Sparks Griffith Avanti Rotary

Sean Glassford Wentworth Falls

Mathew Joseph Rotorua Rotary  New Zealand

There are two others who are still uncertain at the moment.

Major Lacey has the support of her future Commandant Air Commodore AG Clements from the Australian Defence Force Academy ADFA.  We look forward to Major Lacey joining us with her team of ladies, all Majors, who will do the technical climb on Batian.

We need a few more to join the Safari Team or the G&T Team!

10387469_10205428366775269_1211110409190193549_n

Mount Kenya yesterday the rains have come a bit late but leave a lot of snow.

Mathew Joseph

Mathew Joseph and his Niece at Kerala.

I have been a Rotarian for 5 years, Rotary Club of Rotarua Lakes, NZ. I was born in India 63 years ago and lived on top of the pile most of my life. I graduated from medical school in India, specialised as an anaesthetist in England and did a fellowship in Chicago. I have lived in many countries among people of different religions and beliefs and philosophies.

What I have learned is that no people have a monopoly on kindness or cruelty. We as a species are capable of the noblest of actions while we remain the only species capable of extreme cruelty to our own.

At the age of 63 I am beginning to learn that there is no greater satisfaction than to help those who are less fortunate than me. It is my turn to help those at the bottom of the pile. If we do not level the playing field, we do so at our peril. History teaches us that revolutions are born out of discontent.
Your club motto captures my sentiments so well. The journey of discovering oneself by losing oneself in the service of others, what a fascinating journey, the destination is not important.
Welcome aboard Mathew!

FOOT NOTE

Last Sunday President Garth Perkin attended the D9700 Presidents meeting in Temora.  Garth tells us that he found out a few new and interesting ideas during the meeting of the 40 club Presidents from D 9700.

Temora Presidents

Can you spot President Garth?

RAGES WEB SITE

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #17

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #17

Foundation

Are you?

It’s Rotary Foundation Month. The Foundation has made a difference in the life of thousands this year because of generous donations. Thank you to all of our proud donors!

Join us in making a difference in communities locally and globally at www.rotary.org/give.

MEETING MONDAY NOVEMBER 3rd. 2014

Linda Tillman Meeting 008

Tonight we had a meeting on membership led by Leslie Weston our Membership Director.

The meeting was well attended with some 12 members and three guests.  Ian Jennings has returned form his trip to Europe looking very relaxed good to see Ian back.

Leslie outlined some plans to attract new members and to retain our current members.

The membership committee met prior to the meeting and Leslie put to our members that we should have a Rotary Interest BBQ before Christmas.  We set on a date being Friday 5th December and Garth Perkin kindly offered Marg and his home as the venue.  Catering will be organised by Leslie and paid for by the club.

Leslie asked all members present to provide her with a list of those whom we feel would enjoy an evening getting to know Coolamon Rotarians.  Please get these names to Leslie by Saturday.   The conduct of the night is still to be determined by the membership committee but it will include live music.  Leslie feels that we need to ask several of the younger generation along as well as those in an older age group.

All in a very positive meeting and one that will help us to grow as a club.

Ian Jennings challenged some of our male members to support Movember.  There were several takers including President Garth, Wayne Lewis, maybe even Grahame Miles!!!

Next Monday night is our AGM and we need all of our members to attend if possible.  The AGM will be followed by the November board meeting.

On Wednesday 12th November there is a markets committee meeting at Grahame Miles home.

On Monday 15th December our last meeting for 2014 we have Scott Martin from the Coolamon Shire Council Health and Building as our guest speaker.

Service

MELBOURNE CUP SWEEP 2014

The Horse

1st Protectionist drawn by Mark Reardon

2nd Red Cadeaux drawn by Grahame Miles

3rd. Who Shotthebarman drawn by Don Dyce

Last Admire Rakti {Requiescant In Pace}, drawn by Myffy Collette. 

See Footnote for some great Christmas present ideas and at the same time support the Oloimugi Maasai Village and their dream to build a school.

Maasai Beauty

Diary Reminders

Monday 10th November AGM.

Monday 10th November Mount Kenya Presentation at Temora. 

Wednesday 12th November Markets Committee Meeting at Grahame Miles home.

Thursday 13th November BINGO: Ian  Jennings (Captain), Mark Reardon, Henk  Hulsman, Christine Atkinson

NYE December 31st Coolamon Fireworks Food Van

Wednesday 4th February 2015 Joint Lions Rotary Meeting in Coolamon. TBC.

Gary and Sam

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang and Rotary Foundation Trustee Samuel F. Owori met Global Grant Scholar Patrick Ongom when he visitedRotary International in Evanston, Illinois, USA.

RIP Gary’s November Message:

Four months into this year of working to Light Up Rotary, I am more excited about Rotary than ever before. I’ve been to 22 countries, visited dozens of cities, and met thousands of Rotarians. I’ve seen amazing projects and been inspired over and over again by the terrific work Rotarians do all over the world. And I’ve been privileged to be part of all kinds of Rotary events, from club meetings to Rotary institutes, from Rotary Days to Foundation dinners.

Every event is memorable. I feel especially honored when I am invited to share in club celebrations. To me, taking part in a Rotary club celebration as Rotary International president is like being invited to a family event as an honored guest. Indeed, Rotary is the biggest family in the world.

FULL TRANSCRIPT HERE.

DG

Orange DB

The Rotary Club of Orange Daybreak presented “Pride of Workmanship” awards to Dr Ying Shi Chang for her dentistry skills and in particular her work with young children and the disabled.

STORY HERE

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Dog teeth

Confidence…..

A fighter pilot walks into a bar and takes a seat next to a very attractive woman.

He gives her a quick glance then casually looks at his new Apple watch for a moment.

The woman notices this and asks, Is your date running late?

No, he replies, I just got this state-of-the-art Apple watch, and I was just testing it.

The intrigued woman says, A state-of-the-art watch? What’s so special about it?

The pilot says, It uses alpha waves to talk to me telepathically.

The lady says, OK, What’s it telling you now?

Well, it says you’re not wearing any panties.

The woman giggles and replies, Well it must be broken because I am wearing panties!

The fighter pilot smirks, taps his watch and says, Bloody thing’s an hour fast!

And that, my friends………is Confidence!

Dog

ROTARY INFORMATION

China

Four hundred citizens in northeast China received free cataract surgeries in 2013 thanks to efforts by the Rotary Clubs of Warner Robins, Georgia, USA, and Shanghai, China.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Rotary Club of Shanghai

Seeing an elderly Tibetan woman weep with joy when cataract surgery restored her vision after 10 years is the kind of moment Dave Razo will never tire of.

For several summers Razo, a member of the Rotary Club of Warner Robins, Georgia, USA, traveled to rural northwest China with a team from Georgia-based nonprofit, to provide free sight-restoring cataract surgery to some of the country’s poorest residents. In 2012, after 22 years and 6,000 successful procedures, Gansu’s founder, ophthalmologist William Conrad, retired and discontinued the organization’s operations.

But Razo didn’t want the effort to end. He had seen how life-changing the surgery could be, not only for the patients but for their families and their community.

FULL STORY HERE

ONLY IN AFRICA

Mugabe

OUT OF AFRICA

Africa 6

100 YEARS AGO:

One of the main reasons that I am climbing Mount Kenya is to honour my father George Glassford who set sail from Wellington 100 years ago on the SS Limerick:

limerick-farewell

FULL NAME 
George James Glassford
World War I, 1914-1918
SERIAL NO.  10/971
FIRST KNOWN RANK  Sergeant

EMBARKATION UNIT 
Wellington Infantry Battalion
EMBARKATION DATE 
16 October 1914
PLACE OF EMBARKATION 
Wellington, New Zealand
TRANSPORT HMNZT 7 HMNZT 10
VESSEL Limerick 
DESTINATION Suez, Egypt

FOOT NOTE

OLOIMUGI CRAFT SHOP OPENING SOON

Some great ideas for presents this year while supporting the Oloimugi Maasai Village and their dream to build a school for their children.

10624887_1480763828867360_8631152614125447508_n

AISEE-II-KALIEarrings

MAASAI-BEADED-BRACELETS-ILKATAR

OLOIMUGI CRAFT SHOP WEB SITE

We are building a shopping trolley which will be up and running soon.  Watch this space. 

RAGES WEB SITE

Websites of Interest