US Senate Passes Polio Bill

Reach Out To Africa.
Polio Victim in Kampala December 2011

Have a read of this bill passed by the US Senate Rotary is at the forefront of the polio campaign

POLIO BILL US Senate:

On Tuesday, the US Senate unanimously approved a resolution that commends Rotary for its leadership in polio eradication. It also encourages the federal government to continue its commitment to (and funding for) polio eradication. A great step towards the goal of freeing the world of this disease! The posted link is for the actual resolution.

Peace

Goes well with our in coming RI President Sakuji Tanaka’s message Peace Through Service.
The pic and saying of Buddha is appropriate as we move into the 2012-2013 Rotary year.
Peace

“When you move your focus from competition to contribution life becomes a celebration. Never try to defeat people, just win their hearts.”- Buddha

Tracy Monica from Mathare

We would like to introduce you all to Tracy Monica.  Tracy gave us Mountains of the Moon team a wonderful speech in Mathare last December.  Here it is: mathare-speech Once you have read this then have a look at Tracy’s 1st term report at Secondary School below, click on the image and enlarge it:

Tracy’s 1st Term Report

1st Term Report

Following our visit to Mathare and meeting Tracy we decided to support her into Bishop Okoth’s Secondary School for Vulnerable girls.  We are going ot honour Tracy’s request to us at Mathare to help 200 of her peers who are now ready to go to Secondary School and who are vulnerable and at risk where they live now.

Tracy Monica Ochieng

Tracy can be seen in her new school uniform proud as punch as we are of her efforts in her 1st term at her new school.  If you want to help us get other girls and boys out of Mathare please contact us via our email which is: [email protected]. Or call me on 61 2 6927 6027 anytime.

RI Photography Competition

Message from PDG Bruce Barber:

“Hi John,

I have just read the June, photography issue of the Rotarian and congratulations for your Honorable Mention for your shot in Uganda of a gorilla. To have the RC of Coolamon mentioned in the Rotarian is a great honor.

Regards,

Bruce”

Here is a link to the article in the June issue of The Rotarian:

RI Photo Competition

Here is the photo that I entered:

Love my tucker!

District 5010

Igloo on the Parks Highway - typical Alaska Winter hotel accommodations

A good friend of ours on ROTI Rotarians On The Internet writes about the district he lives in, D 5010.  It is a large district and covers the Yukon, Alaska and Eastern Russia.   Jon Deisher is his name and he has a wonderful way with words.  I attach a link here to the District 5010 June bulletin, enjoy and learn about Rotary on top of the world.

D 5010 Bulletin June 2012