Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #27

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #27

FEBRUARY IS ROTARY WORLD UNDERSTANDING MONTH.

MONDAY MEETING

The Glassford Family Into and Out of Africa

We had a total of 22 attend the meeting on Monday night including Bernadette Milne and Miffy Clarke from Ganmain who are looking at being invited to join our club.  Other guests were Enrico and Marco from Italy guests of Susan and myself, Maureen Hulsman, Sharon Miles, Susan Wingate-Pearse, Ted Hutcheon, Christine  Lorraine and Sandra West.

Dinner was provided by the club catering team and was excellent.

This was a member’s night and it was the turn of John Glassford (seen laughing above), to give a presentation on his life.  As I am preparing this bulletin I will leave it up to others to comment.  What I will do is to add some photos from the presentation here, just a few of many, click on the thumb nails to get a larger photo.:

The talk included the slave trade, the colonisation of Kenya, George Glassford at Gallipoli (Father), growing coffee, the Mau Mau, football and rally driving African style, school in England, wild life and Kenya as it is today.  The talk finished up with a quick look at what is proposed for ANZAC Day 2015 by climbing Mount Kenya.

PRESIDENT PAUL WESTON’S REPORT

President’s report

Monday’s meeting saw another great rollout of members and guests, many of whom were there to hear John Glassford’s life story.  After an excellent dinner of lamb cutlets and dessert of apple pie à la mode, we were treated to an extraordinary tale of a life beginning with riches and privilege and a dramatic change of fortune following the political upheaval of the 1960s in Kenya and much of Africa.  John’s upbringing is so far removed from what most of us have experienced, it was a bit hard to comprehend a life growing up on a coffee plantation with servants, Rolls Royces, racehorses at Ascot, etc., but the photographs and John’s narrative made it come to life.  The sorrow and fear that followed as native Kenyans worked to oust the British colonists layered more hard-to-comprehend life experiences on an already unreal existence.  John managed to escape all the turmoil, a few dollars poorer, but somehow landed on his feet and started a new life for himself.  I find it amazing that, despite the loss of wealth and privilege, John forged ahead with his life and has done so much for the needy in Africa and elsewhere.  I think it’s safe to say that all in attendance were awestruck and impressed by what they heard and saw, and came away with a new appreciation of our John Glassford.

We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting.

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

*Monday March 4th David Jenkins from Charles Sturt University Veterinary Department Guest Speaker.  Gilbert catering.

Monday 11th March Business and Board Meeting Club catering.

Thursday, 14th March at 7.30 pm:   Rotary BINGO  – rostered on are  –  Henk Hulsman,  John Burns, Grahame Miles and John Glassford. (Reminder to Garth Perkin and Rod Jarrett you are both rostered on as a swap).

*Monday 18th March Guest Speaker Ross Sinclair RAAF Forest Hill RAAF base speaking on the modern day Air Force.   Gilbert catering.

*Monday 25th March Club Member Night Henk Hulsman.  Club catering.

Saturday 30th March Rotary Community Easter Markets in the Up-to-Date-Store,  complemented by ‘Grand Designs Coolamon Style’  & a main street full of 100 or so Hot Rod Cars.

Monday April 1st NO Meeting Easter Monday.

*Monday 8th April Max Chapman Europe on a Shoe String.

Monday 15th April Business and Board Meeting Club catering

Friday 19th to Sunday 21st April 2013   D9700 Conference Leeton.

Saturday June 8th Coolamon Rotary Street Raffle.

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

*Monday July 1st our 42nd Change Over Night.

*Partners and Guests Night.

**West Wyalong Fellowship Night**

You are invited to a night of inspirational Rotary fellowship Wednesday 6 March 2013
7.00 for 7.30pm at the West Wyalong S&C Sports Club,  Tallimba Rd.

Cost per head – $40 which includes a drink and dinner (Two courses main & dessert)

Guest Speakers are two inspirational former RI directors Stuart Heal and Tom Thorfinnson.

Click here for details.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

I wish to thank RI Director José Antonio F. Antiório and Rotarians in District 4430 in Brazil for organizing the São Paulo Rotary Peace Forum, which I attended the morning of Rotary’s 108th anniversary. In the evening I attended a highly successful Interdistrict Meeting in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Accompanying me on a visit to the Paul Harris statue in Buenos Aires are (from left) District Governor-elect Juan Carlos Rey (D-4890), District Governor-elect Gustavo Verta (D-4855), Past RI President Luis Vicente Giay, Director-elect Celia Cruz de Giay, and District Governor-elect Carlos Pristipino (D-4940).

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Parrot Part 2

Jerry received a parrot for his birthday.

The parrot was fully-grown with a bad attitude and worse vocabulary. Every other word was an expletive. Those that weren’t expletives were, to say the least very rude.

Jerry tried hard to change the bird’s attitude and was constantly saying polite words, playing soft music, anything he could think of to try and set a good example. Nothing worked.

He yelled at the bird and the bird yelled back. He shook the bird and the bird just got angrier and became even more rude. Finally in a moment of desperation. Jerry put the parrot in the FREEZER.

For a few moments he heard the bird squawk and kick and scream. Then suddenly, there was a quiet—–

-Not a sound for half a minute. Jerry was frightened that he might have hurt the bird and quickly opened the freezer door.

The Parrot calmly stepped out onto Jerry’s extended arm and said: “I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I will endeavor at once to correct my behavior. I really am truly sorry and beg your forgiveness.”

Jerry was astonished at the bird’s change in attitude and was about to ask what had made the difference and caused such a dramatic change when the parrot continued: “May I ask what the chicken did???”

In the Genes

A man and his wife were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. The wife says to her husband, “For our anniversary this year, you can ask me one question, any question you want to. I will answer it truthfully.”

The husband replies, “Okay, this has been bothering me for a long time, but I haven’t had the courage to ask before…but I have noticed that all of our eight children look similar to one another except one. I can’t figure out how he got to look so different. Did he have a different father than the rest?”

The wife stops. She is unable to look her husband in the eyes. Slowly she replies, “yes. Yes he did have a different father.” Her husband was taken aback. “Oh! Okay…I must know. Please tell me. Who was that child’s father?” Again she cannot look her husband in the eyes. She is very distressed, and after a long silence she slowly said, “YOU.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

The Council on Legislation, Rotary’s “parliament,” meets every three years to deliberate and act upon all proposed enactments and resolutions submitted by clubs, district conferences, the General Council and Conference of Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland, and the RI Board. The Council itself also makes proposals.

The Council on Legislation is an important part of Rotary’s governance process. While the Board of Directors sets policies for Rotary International, the Council is where Rotary clubs have their say in the governance of the association. Every three years, each district sends a representative to the Council, which reviews proposed legislation. Every club and district is entitled to submit legislation to the Council, and some of Rotary’s most important work has resulted from Council action. Women were admitted into Rotary because of the action of the 1989 Council on Legislation, and PolioPlus was born as the result of the 1986 Council.

The Council comprises more than 500 representatives from every part of the Rotary world. Voting members include one elected representative of the clubs of each Rotary district. Some non voting members include the chair and vice chair of the Council, the RI president, members of the RI Board, and past RI presidents.

2013 Council

The next Council on Legislation will be in April 2013 in Chicago.  District 9700 has PDG John Egan as our representative.If you ever need to change something in Rotary here is where it happens.  First of all you have to get the club to agree to a motion to change the RI Constitution and By-laws then have the district approve it and then lodge the motion .  Something like that.  Your next chance comes in 3 years time the 2016 COL.  Whatever changes are made this 2013 COL will be sent to us and we then have to update our constitution and by-laws to reflect the changes.  We then vote on these changes and submit the new club constitution and club by-laws to the NSW Department of Fair Trade.  If we do not do so then we are in breach and our club is no longer incorporated.

Photos below from the 2010 Council On Legislation in Chicago.

Below is a link to the whole proposed items up for discussion in April:

Council on Legislation

Here is one proposed change to the Constitution:

PROPOSED ENACTMENT 13-36

To provide that clubs shall meet at least twice per month

Proposed by the Rotary Club of Lancaster-Depew, New York, USA and the Rotary Club of St. Catharines Sunrise, ON, Canada and the Rotary Club of Waterdown, ON, Canada

Endorsed by the Conference of District 7090, Niagara Falls, New York, USA October 2011

IT IS ENACTED by Rotary International that the STANDARD ROTARY CLUB CONSTITUTION be and hereby is amended as follows (page 244 MOP)

Article 6 Meetings 5 Section 1 — Regular Meetings.

(a) Day and Time. This club shall hold a regular meeting once each week regular  meetings at least twice per calendar month on the days and at the time(s) provided in the bylaws.

It will not get up!

BUCKET LIST

The Masai Mara in Kenya one of the wonders of the world and do it in a balloon.

Places to stay in the Masai Mara.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

“We don’t want a Highway traversing our land. We don’t want soda ash mining on Lake Natron. Please, help us to make our voice heard.” This message was given to a member of our team by a Maasai when he visited Lake Natron two weeks ago.Spread the word and invite your friends to join us.

www.savetheserengeti.org

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Governor of District 9700  Greg Brown

Coolamon Club President  Paul Weston

Coolamon Club Secretary  John Glassford

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Home of Hope Hout Bay

Just received Rotary Africa with an article on our twin club Hout Bay and the story of the Home of Hope which we have helped with our work.

Just click on the photos for a larger image and enjoy.

Happy 108th Birthday to Rotary International

On 23 February we celebrate Rotary’s 108th anniversary. Please take a moment to reflect on our organization’s tremendous accomplishments over the years and on that winter day in Chicago in 1905 when Gustavus Loehr, Silvester Schiele, Hiram Shorey, and Paul Harris made history by participating in the first Rotary club meeting.

Gustavus Loehr, Silvester Schiele, Hiram Shorey, and Paul Harris

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #26

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #26

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROTARY 108 YEARS OF SERVICE

Since February 23rd 1905

BINGO

The month’s Bingo was held as always even though the numbers were down all had a good night.  The raffle tickets went AWOL and ended up in Grahame’s shower or bathroom and we still do not know who or why.  Volunteers were Dick  Jennings, John Glassford, Neil Munro and Grahame Miles.

Bingo calling by Neil assisted by Dick

MONDAY MEETING

Col Patterson

We had 11 members in attendance and the following guests:  Val Burns, Ted Hutcheon, Alex Thompson, Wayne Lewis, Matthew Debronski and Rod Bartram.  This week we had the pleasure of the company of Col Patterson who was our guest speaker.  Col told us many facts about his long life in Coolamon.  Col is especially proud of his work within the community of Coolamon.  Recently Col was involved in the Coolamon Scarecrow festival, which was a huge success.  Also Col was one of the founders of the Coolamon Historical & Advancement Society or CHAS.  Col is looking at supporting a Cheese Factory Co-op for Coolamon.  Col was also voted as Coolamon’s Citizen of the year in 1999.

Col sees the growth of Coolamon to some 3,500 in the years to come.  Grahame Miles thanked Col and presented him with our Kangaroo money pouch.  A good night of fellowship then ensued.

Some photos below of the meeting on Monday:

Alex Thompson and Matthew Debronski.  Alex is going to attend RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Award) this year and alongside him is Matthew who has been on a RYLA course and spoke highly of his experience at RYLA.  Our club will be sponsoring Alex to RYLA this year in Wagga Wagga.

Col Patterson, Grahame Miles and Dick Jennings.

President’s report

It’s been a fairly busy week in Rotary world.  The week kicked off with a very enjoyable and well attended meeting at the Sport & Rec Club on Monday.  Alex Thompson was introduced as our RYLA nominee for this year, and we got to hear a perspective on RLYA from one of last year’s participants, Matthew Debronski who clerks for Bill Thompson’s law firm.  We also got to hear a very interesting perspective on RYLA from Ted Hutcheon, who was a RYLA participant many moons ago.  The featured speaker for the evening, though, was Col Patterson, who was born in Coolamon in 1935 and has owned and operated many businesses locally.  In addition to his many business interests, Col has helped organise many events to promote the shire, including last year’s inaugural Scarecrow Festival.  It was inspirational to see what one individual can do with a bit of initiative and imagination.

I attended the Murrumbidgee Rotary Club’s weekly meeting on Tuesday, along with the presidents of many of the local Rotary Clubs.  The guest speaker was Mary Sherman of the Rotary Club of Norman, Oklahoma.  Surprisingly, Mary was there not to speak about Oklahoma, but rather the Rotary International convention to be held in Sydney in 2014.  It really is a great opportunity to attend an RI conventional at minimal cost, so save the dates of 1-4 June, 2014 and plan to attend.  If you are planning to attend, the sooner you make your reservation, the better, because registration fees steadily increase after December of 2013.

Click on the logo below for more information on Sydney 2014.

Our next meeting is a members’ meeting and will feature John Glassford recounting his life story (or at least the first 21 years, according to John!).  Should be an interesting evening, so I hope to see you there!

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

Saturday February 23rd and Sunday February 24th PETS at Young. (President Elect Training).

*Monday 25th February Club Member Night John Glassford “Into and Out of Africa My Story.”  Club catering

George Glassford and John Glassford Kenya 1949

*Monday March 4th David Jenkins from Charles Sturt University Veterinary Department Guest Speaker.  Gilbert catering.

Thursday, 14th March at 7.30 pm:   Rotary BINGO  – rostered on are  –  Henk Hulsman,  John Burns, Grahame Miles and John Glassford.

*Monday 18th March Guest Speaker Ross Sinclair RAAF Forest Hill RAAF base speaking on the modern day Air Force.   Gilbert catering.

Saturday 29th March Rotary Community Easter Markets in the Up-to-Date-Store,  complemented by ‘Grand Designs Coolamon Style’  & a main street full of 100 or so Hot Rod Cars.

Monday April 1st NO Meeting Easter Monday.

*Monday 8th April Max Chapman Europe on a Shoe String.

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

You are invited to a night of inspirational Rotary fellowship Wednesday 6 March 2013

Cost per head – $40 which includes a drink and dinner (Two courses main & dessert)

Guest Speakers are two inspirational former RI directors Stuart Heal and Tom Thorfinnson.

Click here for details.

15th February 2013

In Vienna, Austria I attended a Rotary event that included a concert of chamber music performed by Rotary alumni. The music was delightful and I want to thank both the Rotarians who organized the event and the musicians for a very memorable evening.

Rotary Alumni Musicians play for President Tanaka.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Need a caption?

The Cranky Parrot

Jerry received a parrot for his birthday.

The parrot was fully-grown with a bad attitude and worse vocabulary. Every other word was an expletive. Those that weren’t expletives were, to say the least very rude.

Jerry tried hard to change the bird’s attitude and was constantly saying polite words, playing soft music, anything he could think of to try and set a good example. Nothing worked.

He yelled at the bird and the bird yelled back. He shook the bird and the bird just got angrier and became even more rude. Finally in a moment of desperation. Jerry put the parrot in the FREEZER.

For a few moments he heard the bird squawk and kick and scream. Then suddenly, there was a quiet—–

-Not a sound for half a minute. Jerry was frightened that he might have hurt the bird and quickly opened the freezer door.

The Parrot calmly stepped out onto Jerry’s extended arm and said: “I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I will endeavor at once to correct my behavior. I really am truly sorry and beg your forgiveness.”

Jerry was astonished at the bird’s change in attitude and was about to ask what had made the difference and caused such a dramatic change when the parrot continued: “May I ask what the chicken did???”

Stress Disorder

A woman accompanied her husband to the doctor’s office. After his checkup, the doctor called the wife into his office alone.   He said, “Your husband is suffering from a very severe stress disorder.   If you don’t do the following, your husband will surely die.”   “Each morning, fix him a healthy breakfast. Be pleasant at all times.   For lunch make him a nutritious meal. For dinner prepare an especially nice meal for him.

Don’t burden him with chores.   Don’t discuss your problems with him, it will only make his stress worse.   No nagging.   And most importantly, make love with your husband several times a week.   If you can do this for the next 10 months to a year, I think your husband will regain his health completely.”

On the way home, the husband asked his wife. “What did the doctor say?”   He said you’re going to die,” she replied.

The Gallops

ROTARY INFORMATION

SHELTER BOX AUSTRALIA

SHELTER BOX WEB SITE

February 14th 2013

It has been a while since we reported on Shelter Box Australia.  As always Shelter Boxes have been deployed in many parts of the world these past few months.  Shelter Box is still one of Rotary’s best projects and continues to grow.  Closer to home Shelter Boxes have been deployed to the Solomon Islands following the recent earthquake and tsunami there.

Relief supplies have begun trickling into tsunami-hit communities in the Solomon Islands, as another powerful aftershock rattled the Pacific nation in the wake of last week’s 8.0-magnitude earthquake.

The New Zealand  High Commissioner Mark Ramsden announced yesterday that “New Zealand is committed to helping a friend and neighbour at a time of need,” Mr Ramsden said.

“These supplies, many of which have been generously donated by New Zealand businesses, will go some way to meeting the needs of people on Santa Cruz who have lost almost everything in the tsunami.”

ShelterBox SRT’s Lyndon Tamblyn and Owen Smith both from New Zealand are now on the ground in Honiara working with our partner World Vision and local Rotarians to get their much needed supplies to families in need.

Shelter Box Solomon Islands
Recent deployment to the Philippines January 2013

BUCKET LIST

ALASKA

Rotary Club of Anchorage Alaska District 5010.

The RC of Anchorage has 250 members

We meet Tuesdays at 12:00 PM

Dena’ina Center

600 W 7th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99501
United States

Jon Deisher from the RC of Anchorage sent us the following photos from India where he is part of the Alaska polio NID (National Immunisation Days) this year:

The Taj Mahal from the rear photo by Jon Deisher taken 19th Feb 2013

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Rotary worldwide to help save rhino

Over 900 killed in 2013 in South Africa alone.

Click on the logo below to see what we can do:

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary’s Future Vision

After two years of working with the Future Vision Global Grant for Nairobi, we are certainly aware that change and sustainability are important concepts to Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation. We are still in the process of this Global Grant and here is a good video on what RI is implementing through our Foundation with Global Grants. It will also give you an insight as to why sustainability is the key to the new grant structure under Future Vision.

What Is Sustainability? (EN) from Rotary International on Vimeo.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #25

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #25

Above: Dick Jennings and Mark Reardon selling tickets.

This week we ran a street raffle in Coolamon and raised around $380.00 a good result for a Saturday morning.  We also had our weekly meeting which was our monthly planning and board meeting.  Many items and projects discussed and we enjoyed home made pizzas by our President Paul Weston, great tucker mate!

Volunteers came forward to support Blaze Aid with offers to help with fencing around Tarcutta following the very recent bush fires in that area.  We discussed holding a follow up dinner/finger food meeting to keep the Shop Locally Campaign in the eyes of the local community.  We felt that this meeting should be a financial one based on talks from a bank, a financial consultant and a credit union.

We approved the Coolamon Grand Designs open houses for Easter Saturday which is now a Coolamon Rotary club project with the proceeds of the tours to go to the Coolamon Mens’ Shed (a Rotary Coolamon initiative).

Colin Paterson a well known and long term resident of Coolamon will be our guest speaker on this Monday night.  Members are invited to bring a guest along to hear about Colin’s life in Coolamon.

SATURDAY STREET RAFFLE

ROTARY PEACE SUNDAY 

17th. FEBRUARY 2013

A reminder to all that this Sunday is Wagga Rotary Peace Sunday and the award presentation to those who have made significant contributions to Peace and Harmony in our community will be recognised.

The ceremony in the Victory Memorial Gardens commences at 11 am and will last approx. 1 hour

Wagga Wagga was the first declared Rotary Peace City in the world.

DISTRICT CONFERENCE LEETON APRIL 19-21.

Book now for the District Conference in Leeton this year,

The Rotary Clubs of Leeton and Leeton Central cordially invite you to attend the Annual Conference to be held in Leeton from Friday 19th April to Sunday 21st April, 2013.

The town of Leeton was the first town built as part of the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area (MIA) in the Riverina region of New South Wales. Today it is a showcase of contemporary rural Australia with its diverse agricultural and horticultural industries, value added processing plants and yet it is still renowned for its country hospitality. Leeton will also celebrate its art deco heritage with the bi-annual Art Deco Festival being held on the same weekend as the Rotary District Conference.

The Roxy Theatre is located in the main street of Leeton so there is ready access to cafes and shops if you need a break. Art Deco Festival markets and other activities will also be happening in the park directly opposite the theatre during the weekend.

An interesting range of Keynote Speakers have agreed to speak at the conference.

Former Deputy Prime Minister The Hon Tim Fischer AC will talk about “From the Riverina to Rome: Diplomacy & Peace”. Army Major Matina Jewell will present about her time as a UN Peace Observer in Lebanon in 2006. Dr James Masson will show us the work he does as part of an Interplast medical Team and Kim Savill will show the great work of the school of St Jude in Tanzania.

Art Deco Conference Dinner Dance – Saturday Evening, April 20, 2013

The Conference Dinner Dance on Saturday evening will be held at the Leeton Soldiers’ Club commencing at 6.30pm for 7.00pm. Dress will be art deco era and we will expect to see lots of feathers and beads to help celebrate this important local heritage. There will be a great band for music and dancing and official duties will be kept to a minimum to allow for fun and fellowship.

President’s report

We’re back into the swing of Rotary for 2013, having had our first official board meeting this week.  Although the meeting went longer than many had planned, we covered lots of ground and laid out the framework for many of the programs to be run before our next changeover.  The most significant, in my view, is a follow-up planned for our meetings with local business owners and operators.  Two events are planned: a financial workshop involving some local banking representatives and a financial planner.  Henk and Leslie will be taking the lead on organising the event.  The other follow-up is a purely social event with the business community, intended to be held soon now that nearly everyone is back from holidays.  The sense among those involved with these programs is that we will have done about as much as we can for promoting the Shop Locally campaign: signs will soon be hanging again in Coolamon, Ganmain and Marrar, we will have brought the small business owners and operators together and provided professional guidance in matters of greatest importance, if not perceived need (advertising and financing), and promoted fellowship.  After the final planned events in this series (the financing workshop and the social event), the ball will be in the hands of the business community.

Another vital issue discussed at our board meeting is membership.  While a number of our programs have raised our profile in the community indirectly, we need to continue to take a more active approach to soliciting members.  We agreed that personal contact with prospective members is the most effective way to garner new members, so committed ourselves to speak to at least one prospective new member in the coming weeks.  An invitation to one of our meetings is probably the best avenue of exposure, so consider inviting someone to one of our upcoming speaker meetings.

For a small club, we’re quite active and strong.  Let’s build on that and become a great Rotary club.

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

Thursday 14th February VALENTINES DAY BINGO rostered on are: Neil Munro, Garth Perkin (for Christine Atkinson), Dick Jennings & John Glassford (for Rod Jarrett).

Sunday 17th February Rotary PEACE Sunday in Wagga Wagga 11 am Victory Memorial Gardens.

*Monday 18th February Guest Speaker Colin Paterson from Coolamon with Gilbert catering.

Saturday February 23rd and Sunday February 24th PETS at Young. (President Elect Training).

*Monday 25th February Club Member Night John Glassford “Into and Out of Africa My Story.”  Club catering

*Monday March 4th David Jenkins Guest Speaker Gilbert catering.

*Monday 18th March Guest Speaker Ross Sinclair Gilbert catering.

Click here for details.

Please encourage the young people in your community to become involved in our New Generations programs. Find creative ways to promote Rotary and to interest them in our humanitarian mission.  Please share this on your Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/interactofficial

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

A Cranky Husband:

An elderly lady went to the supermarket, she stole 1 tin of pears, she was caught and had to go to court.

The magistrate said “How many pears were in the tin?” the elderly lady replied “6” magistrate replied “Well you can do 6 weeks in jail.”

The husband of the elderly lady stood up and stated ” She also stole a can of peas!”

The Earring:

A man is at work one day when he notices that his co-worker is wearing an earring. This man knows his co-worker to be a somewhat conservative fellow, so naturally he’s curious about the sudden change in fashion sense. The man walks up to his co-worker and says, “I didn’t know you were into earrings.”

“Don’t make such a big deal, it’s only an earring,” he replies sheepishly.

“Well, I’m curious,” begged the man, “how long have you been wearing an earring?”

“Er, ever since my wife found it in our bed.”

The Parrot

An old man was sitting on a bus. A young woman sat down beside him. She had spiked hair in all different colours: green, red, orange, blue and yellow. The old man Just stared. Every time the young woman looked, the old man was staring. The young woman finally said sarcastically, “What’s the matter old timer, never done anything wild in your life?” Without batting an eye, the old man replied, “Got drunk once and had an affair with a parrot. I was just wondering if you were my daughter”.

ROTARY INFORMATION

Rotarian circles Australia in a dinghy for polio eradication

Many Rotarians have gone to extremes to raise money for Rotary’s US$200 Million Challenge.

But Australian Rotarian Robert Pennicott set a record with his fundraising venture. Pennicott, fellow Tasmanian Mick Souter, and cameraman Zorro Gamarnik became the first people to circumnavigate Australia in boats powered by outboard motors.

Pennicott, a member of the Rotary Club of Kingston, and Souter piloted two 17-foot-long inflatable dinghies, propelled by twin 60-horsepower engines, on the 12,000-mile journey around the Australian continent (including the island state of Tasmania). They began in Sydney on 2 June and arrived back on 11 September.

Rob, Mick and Zorro completed their circumnavigation of Australia on Sunday 11th September, 2011.

Their circumnavigation took 101 days and has raised over $285,000 to date.

FULL STORY

This is why we fight polio which is still endemic in Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

A victim of polio we saw in Kampala in 2011.

BUCKET LIST THE SEYCHELLES EAST AFRICA

Seychelles Places to Stay

Rotary Club of the Seychells

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Dame Daphne Sheldrick’s Elephant Orphans Nairobi Kenya.

The Kilimanjaro 2007 team visited Dame Daphne’s orphans and it was a very inspiring visit.  Daphne Sheldrick was the first person in the entire world to successfully hand rear newborn fully milk dependent African Elephant orphans, something that spanned 28 years of trial and error to achieve. By the year 2008 the Trust had successfully saved and hand-reared over 82 infant African Elephant calves, two from the day of birth. Currently, over 40 of the Trust’s hand-reared elephants are fully established and living free amongst their wild peers in Tsavo, some returning with wild born young to show their erstwhile human family.

You can sponsor a baby elephant for $50 a year and you will receive newsletters and updates on it’s progress.  The elephant poaching for ivory has reached a critical phase and some estimates say there will be no elephants left in the wild in Africa in 20 years.  The demand for ivory is being fuelled by China.

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Here are two elephants that we have sponsored, Shimba and Lempaute.

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #24

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #24

MEETING MONDAY FEBRUARY 4th.

It was good to be back for 2013.  Tonight we had a meeting in three parts.  First we conducted our business as usual and enjoyed a Chinese banquet by Gilbert.  We also had three guests join us in Sandra West, Merrin Glasgow and Wayne Lewis all from Coolamon.

The second part was a presentation to our members of a silver tray given to Sandra West’s father, Keith West, on his appointment as our first club President in 1971.  Sandra and Merrin are looking at joining our Friends of Rotary membership.  PP Keith West was the main instigator in forming our club under the sponsorship of our sponsor club Narrandera.

PP Neil Munro presented a certificate of appreciation to President Paul from the Coolamon Hospital Auxiliary, this is for all the work that we do to help our local hospital.

PP Neil Munro presents the certificate to President Paul Weston

The third part was a presentation by PP Ian Durham on his life to date.  Ian is a proud Aussie Returned Soldier from the Vietnam War.  We all enjoyed Ian’s talk and learned more about his life.

Next Monday we meet at President Paul and Leslie’s home for a pizza night and business including a board meeting.  All members are welcome to attend.  Please advise Paul of your attendance.

DIARY REMINDERS

Saturday 9th February Street Raffle in aid of Australian disasters including the Bush Fires and Floods.

Monday 11th February Business and Board Meeting Club catering Venue: Paul and Leslie Weston’s home.

Thursday 14th February VALENTINES DAY BINGO rostered on are: Neil Munro, Garth Perkin (for Christine Atkinson), Dick Jennings & John Glassford (for Rod Jarrett).

*Monday 18th February Guest Speaker TBA with Gilbert catering.

*Monday 25th February Club Member Night John Glassford Out of Africa.  Club catering

Monday March 4th David Jenkins Guest Speaker Gilbert catering.

*Monday 18th March Guest Speaker Ross Sinclair Gilbert catering.

I want to thank everyone for welcoming me so warmly during my trip to Africa. Everywhere I saw successful and amazing Rotary service projects at work. As you can tell by my smile, I’m proud to be the president of an organization that does so many great things and helps so many wonderful people around the world. I truly believe we are achieving Peace Through Service.

District 9200 has an excellent website chock-full of Rotary news and information. Congratulations on a fine job spreading the word about Rotary. And thank you for your hospitality during my trip to Africa.   http://bit.ly/QXfsoG

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Australian Tourism: questions answered- Obviously the answers came from fellow Aussie’s just having a laugh

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, so how do the plants grow? (UK)
A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you’ve been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney – can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it’s only three thousand miles, take lots of water…

Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
A: What did your last slave die of?

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not… oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

Q: Which direction is north in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 90 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we’ll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys’ Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is…oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
A: You are a British politician, right?

Q: Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
A: Yes, gay nightclubs.

Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
A: Only at Christmas.

Q: Are there killer bees in Australia? (Germany)
A: Not yet, but for you, we’ll import them.

Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilisation of vegan hunter gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
A: Rattlesnakes live in America which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It’s a kind of bear and lives in trees.(USA)
A: It’s called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by covering yourself with Vegemite before you go out walking.

Q: I was in Australia in 1969 on R+R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
A: Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour.

ROTARY INFORMATION

ROTARY AUSTRALIA WORLD COMMUNITY SERVICE {RAWCS}

A model orphanage organised and constructed the the Rotary Clubs of Surfers Sunrise, Goondawindi, and Apia Samoa

The House of Hope, Apia, Samoa

One good reason to join Rotary travel to places like Samoa and get involved in serving the International Community.

RAWCS WEB SITE

BUCKET LIST

CABLE BEACH BROOME WESTERN AUSTRALIA

BROOME PEARLS FOR VALENTINES DAY

BROOME ROTARY CLUB WA

The Rotary Club of Broome holds its weekly breakfast meetings on Wednesday mornings at the Mangrove Resort Hotel. We assemble at the Mangrove from 6:30am for breakfast, with the meeting getting underway at 7:00am. On the last Wednesday of each month, instead of the usual breakfast meeting, we have an evening social get-together. Please contact the Rotary Club of Broome for details.

Broome Rotary Club meets at the Mangrove Hotel

Mangrove Resort Hotel

Websites of Interest