Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #22

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #22

DECEMBER IS ROTARY FAMILY  MONTH

Rotary Elf Rotary Xmas

Merry Christmas to all our members and readers of this bulletin.

SUNDAY DECEMBER 21st. 2014

Last night we held our annual Christmas party with President Garth Perkin at Marg and Garth’s home near Coolamon.

Our members turned up with their partners and family and it was a good night of fellowship, friendship and our Rotary family.

Here are some photos from the evening and thanks Marg for the effort you put in with the food and thanks also to those members who brought along a plate.

Xmas 01 Xmas 02 Xmas 03 Xmas 04 Xmas 05 Xmas 06 (2) Xmas 07 Xmas 08 (2) Xmas 09

VOLUNTEERS WANTED FOR NEW YEAR’S EVE IN COOLAMON FROM 6.00 pm {Contact Wayne Lewis or Ian Jennings}.

Diary Reminders

NYE December 31st Coolamon Fireworks Food Van.

Wednesday 4th February 2015 Joint Lions Rotary Meeting in Coolamon.  Guest speakers PDG Fred Loneragan and PP John Glassford Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day Climb CONFIRMED.  7.00 for 7.30 pm

Thursday 12th February BINGO:   Ian  Durham  (Captain), Paul Weston, Rod Jarrett, Leslie Weston

*Sunday March 8th The Rock Challenge Mount Kenya ANZAC Day 2015 Climb.

Monday 9th-Friday 13th March RYDA at the Wagga Wagga Showgrounds.

Saturday 21st March to Sunday 22nd March D 9700 CONFERENCE at Cowra.  Book Now for early bird discounts.

Saturday 11th April – Sunday May 10th Mount Kenya ANZAC DAy 2015 Climb in Kenya.

Saturday 6th June – Tuesday 9th June 2015 RI Convention Sao Paulo BRAZIL.

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT GARY HUANG

Gary in India

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang and his wife Corinna visited India, where he and Rotary Foundation Trustee Sushil Gupta (right) received honorary degrees from The IIS University, Jaipur.

DISTRICT GOVERNOR DAVID KENNEDY D 9700

DG

RC Grenfell RYPEN

Grenfell RC  speakers at last weeks Rotary Meeting were four students, Shannon Best, Daniel Edwards, Josh McCue and Rachael Causer who attended RYPEN this year. 

RYPEN (Rotary Youth Program for Enrichment) is a program to provide an enriching and challenging experience for year 9 students

The weekend camp is held at Borambola and provides the opportunity for students to mix with their peers from across the District and undertake a balance of social interaction, adventure and challenging activities to assist in developing life skills. The students gave a short but comprehensive report and had a great time.

http://www.grenfellrecord.com.au/story/2773913/grenfell-rotary-club-news-l-photo/?cs=12

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Santa

VISITORS TO AUSTRALIA

These were posted on an Australian Tourism Website and the answers are the actual responses by the website officials, who obviously have a great sense of humour (not to mention a low tolerance threshold for cretins!)

A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? ( USA )

A:Depends how much you’ve been drinking.

Q:I want to walk from Perth to Sydney – can I follow the railroad tracks? ( Sweden )

A: Sure, it’s only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia ? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane , Cairns , Townsville and Hervey Bay ? ( UK )

A: What did your last slave die of?

Q:Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia ? ( USA )

A: A-Fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe .
Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not
… Oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

Q:Which direction is North in Australia ? ( USA )

A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we’ll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia ? ( UK )
A:Why? Just use your fingers like we do…

Q:Can you send me the Vienna Boys’ Choir schedule? ( USA )

A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is
Oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia ? ( UK )
A: You are a British politician, right?

Q:Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? ( Germany )

A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers.
Milk is illegal.

Q:Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. ( USA )

A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from..
All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q:I have a question about a famous animal in Australia , but I forget its name. It’s a kind of bear and lives in trees. ( USA )

A: It’s called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them.
You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q:I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia ? (USA )

A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q:Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia ? ( France )

A: Only at Christmas.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? ( USA )

A: Yes, but you’ll have to learn it first

Aussie Xmas

ROTARY INFORMATION

INDOOR AIR POLLUTION LINKED TO MILLIONS OF DEATHS

FeatureStoveProject

Rotary member Jorge Aufranc (second from right), supervises the delivery and installation of new indoor safe stoves for the kitchen at Rancho Alegre school in Guatemala. The World Health Organization estimates that 4.3 million deaths in 2012 were linked to indoor air pollution in homes like this around the world.

After decades dreaming about the Himalayas, Rotary member George Basch went on his first trek through the mountains in 2001, when he was 64. A member of the Rotary Club of Taos-Melagro in New Mexico, USA, Basch found that the experience was even more than he had hoped.

“My expectations were high, and dramatically exceeded,” he remembers.

But a less-than-pleasant aspect of the experience was the indoor smoke pollution he encountered in the guest houses and private homes he visited. Many families in the Himalayas use rudimentary cookstoves or, in some cases, an open fire pit inside the home to prepare food.

FULL STORY HERE

ONLY IN AFRICA

TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS IN AFRICA.

{Click on the thumb nails}

1391761_572444799491811_1277529408_n1505140_572802992789325_458555896_n1505212_573848869351404_456096296_n1505212_573848872684737_2066630567_n1510599_574076079328683_1130105978_n1528654_574512942618330_1579899223_n996076_574894722580152_699420608_n1477408_575291015873856_296788168_n379693_575725569163734_1323193356_n1479050_576039305799027_688232945_n1508203_576485845754373_987270891_n1508044_576827982386826_1419316387_n

OUT OF AFRICA

THE GIFT OF EDUCATION.

We have just witnessed the excitement of the happiest people in Arusha at the moment! Our new students, starting at St Jude’s in January, received their first set of brand new St Jude’s uniforms! This is always the most joyful day in the school calendar as the gift of these uniforms signifies the start to a new life path for so many young Tanzanians and their families.

MOUNT KENYA 2015 ANZAC DAY CLIMB

This will be a permanent section for the next 12 months in our weekly bulletin and I will update stories to this article as and when we get them.   The Australian Commonwealth Department of Veterans Affairs have approved our application to be part of the Centenary for ANZAC and we are allowed to use the logo below with some rules on it’s use:

The Mount Kenya 2015 web site can be found here on clicking the banner below:

One of the items on our itinerary will be the visit to our twin club Hout Bay near Cape Town in South Africa.  The Rotarians of Hout Bay are the most hospitable people we have ever met and we are all looking forward to making the visit after the Mount Kenya Climb.

We will visit Coolamon House the Nonceba Centre and attend their weekly meeting at the Atlantic Yacht Club on the harbour in Hout Bay.  The majority of our team will be joining us in Hout Bay on the way home to Australia.

01 Nonceba 2011 02 Coolamon House 01 03 Hout Bay 01 04 Coolamon House 02 05 Coolamon House 06 06 Mountains of the Moon 2011 538 07 Coolamon House 09  09 Mountains of the Moon 2011 60108 Hout bay

Cheers Lyn and Butch looking forward to seeing you all again in 2015!

I hope that you can put up with this mob from Australia.

FOOT NOTE

LIFE’S LIKE THAT

Leunig 4

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2014 -2015

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species

RAGES WEB SITE

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Gary Huang

Governor of District 9700 David Kennedy

Coolamon Club President  Garth Perkin

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #21

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #21

DECEMBER IS ROTARY FAMILY  MONTH

Gary on membership

If you take a look at the Rotary calendar, it’s easy to see where our priorities as an organization lie. The Rotary year begins in July; in August we mark Membership Month, in September we celebrate New Generations, October is for vocational service, and so on, turning our attention to different topics that are important in Rotary.

It’s a great idea to do this, because it reminds us to talk about subjects that we might otherwise overlook during our busy Rotary year. But we all know that every topic on our calendar – from fellowship to our Foundation – is important. All of them are part of what makes Rotary what it is, and what makes all of us Rotarians.

In Rotary, December is Family Month. Looking back on my years as a Rotarian, I have seen how important family is in Rotary – and how important Rotary can be to our families.

My wife, Corinna, chose to join Rotary just a few months ago, after many years as a Rotary spouse. All three of our children are also Rotarians. All of them joined their own club, in their own time. All of them have found unique interests in Rotary. As we have watched them find their own paths, we have been struck by how wonderful it is to have so many members of our family involved in Rotary service.

President Gary’s December Message

ROTARY COOLAMON INTEREST BBQ

Last Friday night Membership Director Leslie Weston invited several people form our shire to a BBQ at Marg and Gath Perkin’s home.  It was a very good turn out including several prospective new members.  Leslie did a great job with the invitations and all who turned up enjoyed meeting the members and their partners of our club.  Here are some photos form the night and special thanks to Myffy and Bernadette as well as Ted for the work.  Paul Weston cooked the tucker USA style frankfurters and burgers.  Thanks also to Marg and Garth for the hospitality a good night all round.

BBQ Dec 01 BBQ Dec 03 BBQ Dec 04 BBQ dec 05 BBQ Dec 06 BBQ Dec 07 BBQ Dec 08 BBQ Dec 09 BBQ Dec 10 BBQ Dec 11

MEETING MONDAY DECEMBER 8th. 2014

That time of year and we had 10 members along most thought that it was going to be a board meeting, well it was after a fashion.  A great night of fellowship with some business thrown in.

PP Dick Jennings was the Chair for the night.

Leslie Weston our membership Director reported on the BBQ at Marg and Garth’s last Friday to introduce people to our club.  Over 50 attended including 25 members and their partners.  Leslie was congratulated on the effort that went in to make the night a good one.  A first for our club and more to come.  Dick thanked Leslie on behalf of the club.

1. BINGO this Thursday night rostered on are:

Grahame Miles Captain,  Myffy Collette, Garth Perkin and Bernadette Milne.

2. School presentations:

Marrar Ted Hutcheon completed.

Coolamon Central School Garth Perkin completed.

St Brendon’s and Ganmain PS Bernadette and Myffy Collette.

St Michael’s Coolamon Neil Munro

Matong Ted Hutcheon.

3. Last Meeting for 2014 next Monday Scott Martin Coolamon Shire guest speaker.

4.  Christmas Party Sunday 21st December at Rand’s Tank $15 per person BYO and bring a plate.

5.  2015 1st Meeting Lions and Rotary Wednesday 4th January 7.00 for 7.30 pm Guest speakers PDG Fred Loneragan and PP John Glassford Mount Kenya ANZAC Day 2015 Climb. 

6.  New Year’s Eve we are booked to serve sausages from our caravan volunteers needed.  Contact Wayne Lewis.

Sunday March 8th The Rock Challenge for the Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day Climb a committee has been created from Coolamon to plan the event with Wagga Wagga Sunrise and Henty Rotary Clubs.  This team will consist of John Glassford, Garth Perkin, Don Dyce, Wayne Lewis, Dick Jennings and coached by Leslie Weston.

Neil Munro announced the birth of Ella his latest grand daughter so as the custom of our club Neil shouted the members not one but TWO bottles of port, well received and we enjoyed some good fellowship.

Diary Reminders

Thursday  11th December, BINGO Grahame Miles (Captain), Myffy Collette, Garth Perkin, Bernadette Milne

*Monday 15th December Guest Speaker Scott Martin Coolamon Shire Council Last Meeting for 2014. 

*Sunday December 21st Annual Christmas Party at Marg and Garth’s home “Rands Tank.”  B.Y.O. please bring a plate.  Cost per person will be $15.  Let Christine know asap please.

NYE December 31st Coolamon Fireworks Food Van.

Wednesday 4th February 2015 Joint Lions Rotary Meeting in Coolamon.  Guest speakers PDG Fred Loneragan and PP John Glassford Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day Climb CONFIRMED.  7.00 for 7.30 pm

Thursday 12th February BINGO:   Ian  Durham  (Captain), Paul Weston, Rod Jarrett, Leslie Weston

*Sunday March 8th The Rock Challenge Mount Kenya ANZAC Day 2015 Climb.

Monday 9th-Friday 13th March RYDA at the Wagga Wagga Showgrounds.

Saturday 21st March to Sunday 22nd March D 9700 CONFERENCE at Cowra.  Book Now for early bird discounts.

Saturday 11th April – Sunday May 10th Mount Kenya ANZAC DAy 2015 Climb in Kenya.

Saturday 6th June – Tuesday 9th June 2015 RI Convention Sao Paulo BRAZIL.

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT GARY HUANG

Gary in Turkey 2

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang and his wife Corinna attended a Rotary Day event in Istanbul. RI Director Şafak Alpay (fourth from left) also attended. — in Istanbul, Turkey.

Gary in Turkey 3

Indian Flag

Rotary District 3230 made a Guinness world record in making Indian national flag with 50000 thousand Rotarians, Rotaractors, students and Chennaites in Chennai. RI President Gary and his wife Corina attended this Rotary Public Image Program, “Rotary My Flag My India”

DISTRICT GOVERNOR DAVID KENNEDY D 9700

DG

WW New Member

Wagga Wagga has a new member.

President Ellen invited Nepal Gosh and his sponsor Peter Veerhuis to come forward for Nepal’s induction as a new member of the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga. Nepal was born in Bangladesh and came to Australia in 2006. He has lived, studied and worked in Australia for the past 8 years. Nepal arrived in Wagga about 4 years ago and works as an Accountant with RSM Bird Cameron, where he is a very popular employee. He became an Australian citizen in May 2013.

Avanti

Griffith Avanti inducts three new members.

“Last week was very exciting for our club as we had the pleasure of inducting three new members into the club. A big congratulations and welcome to Kim Martel, Michelle Catanzariti and Kevin Cunningham who are now officially Rotarians.”

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Chook

The Restaurant

A group of 40-year-old friends discuss where they should meet for dinner.

Finally the men decide that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the waitresses there….have low-cut blouses and nice boobs.

10 years later, at 50 years of age, the group once again discuss where they should meet for dinner. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the food there….is very good and the wine selection is good also.

10 years later at 60 years of age, the group once again discuss where they should meet for dinner. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because they can…eat there in peace and quiet and the restaurant has a beautiful view of the ocean.

10 years later, at 70 years of age, the group once again discuss where they should meet for dinner. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the…..restaurant is wheelchair-accessible and they even have an lift.

10 years later, at 80 years of age, the group once again discuss where they should meet for dinner. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant……because they have never been there before!

Chook 2

ROTARY INFORMATION

HOW A SIMPLE SCHOOL PROJECT IN INDIA BECAME A GLOBAL GRANT

India_desks

Students sit in their new desks that were provided through a previous grant between the Rotary Club of Bikaner, India, and Kennebunk Portside, Maine, USA.

Photo Credit: Courtesy Cornelia Stockman, Rotary Club of Kennebunk Portside, Maine

Two years ago, U.S. Rotary members in Maine set out to improve the education system in Bikaner, Rajasthan, an Indian city near the border of Pakistan.

The Rotary Club of Kennebunk Portside chose Bikaner because club member Rohit Mehta was originally from the area and had connections there. Mehta put the club in contact with Rotarians in India to provide desks for four government-run schools.

But when community leaders returned with a request for more desks, the Maine Rotarians decided they had to think bigger. The Rotary Foundation had rolled out its new grant model, which required that the club do more than just purchase school furniture to qualify for global grant funding. Club leaders put their heads together and turned a simple project to provide school desks into a global grant project by adding a campaign to recruit new students and professional development for teachers.

FULL STORY

ONLY IN AFRICA

kazi ni kazi

Kazi ni Kazi {Work is Work}

OUT OF AFRICA

Ele Shade

An uplifting sight…a mother elephant shading her baby during the heat of the day.

MOUNT KENYA 2015 ANZAC DAY CLIMB

This will be a permanent section for the next 12 months in our weekly bulletin and I will update stories to this article as and when we get them.   The Australian Commonwealth Department of Veterans Affairs have approved our application to be part of the Centenary for ANZAC and we are allowed to use the logo below with some rules on it’s use:

The Mount Kenya 2015 web site can be found here on clicking the banner below:

besureis_crime_of_life_1_20140423_1877354367

The poster above is a teaser for things to come watch this space!

We now have 19 in the teams for Mount Kenya with 13 climbers and 6 on safari.

FOOT NOTE

Ganmain had their annual twilight Christmas markets and it was well supported with many stalls both inside the Ganmain Hall and down both sides of  Ford Street some pics:

Ganmain 7 Ganmain 6 Ganmain 5 Ganmain 4 Ganmain 1 Ganmain 2

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2014 -2015

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species

RAGES WEB SITE

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Gary Huang

Governor of District 9700 David Kennedy

Coolamon Club President  Garth Perkin

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#