Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #34

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #34

NEW WEB SITE FOR MOUNT KENYA 2015

MARCH IS LITERACY MONTH.

Magnifying Microscopes

This week we look at a wonderful education programme from Western Australia.

WA Chief Scientist Lyn Beazley has a vision that every primary school in WA has a set of Magnifying Microscopes.

The Rotary Club of Freshwater Bay, together with the Science Teachers’ Association of Western Australia (STAWA) and the Water Corporation, is making that dream a reality.

The Magnifying Microscope is a small hand-held unit that allows a child to easily move it around to view items indoors or out. An Activity Booklet has been produced by the Water Corporation, in conjunction with STAWA, so that teachers are able to integrate the use of the Magnifying Microscopes with their existing curriculum.

Magnifying Microscopes

A set of microscopes were presented to Balga Primary School Friday morning 14th March. At least 50% of student are indigenous / from other cultures, with Asian and African the dominant cultures represented. Principal Laura O’Hara is a valued member of the RCFB, always striving to do the best she can in the low socio economic schools she has worked in.

Rtn John Duff, Principal Clive Kelly, PRID Ken Collins, teacher Wendy Carruthers, Tim Boyes (agVivo and future scientists at Glen Forrest Primary School.

UNITED TRIKERS ASSOCIATION INC. AGM DINNER

On Friday night Coolamon Rotary Club catered for 138+ Trikers in Wagga Wagga.  We had three spits going and a large oven.  In all we cooked 6 legs of lamb, 1 whole lamb and 2 whole goats.  The goats were supplied by Wayne and Helen Lewis as their donation to the cause.  This year the Trikers decided to support Ronald MacDonald House.  Craig Corrigan a well known triker called Buck organised the event.  Craig is also a member of Coolamon Rotary Club.  IN all over $5,000 was raised by the event.

Buck Corrigan Space Patrol

Over 1oo trikes attended from many parts of Australia and we want to thanks the following volunteers:  Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Susan Glassford, Wayne Lewis, Dick Jennings, Ian Jennings, Garth Perkin, Ted Hutcheon, Neil Munro, Hen Hulsman and John Glassford.

What is wrong with the photo?  Answer the three lady volunteers were in the kitchen preparing the veggies!

A very special thank you to Wayne and Helen Lewis for donating the two goats see above, delicious!

See what I mean!  Well done Bern, Miffy and Susan!

Here are some more photos from the afternoon/night.  Thanks go to all the volunteers who worked so hard:  Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Susan Glassford, Wayne Lewis, Dick Jennings, Ian Jennings, Ted Hutcheon, Neil Munro, Garth Perkin, Henk Hulsman and John Glassford.

MEETING MONDAY MARCH 17th. 2014

IN Chicago the home of Rotary a Happy St Patrick’s Day as the Chicago River turns Green.

At last night’s meeting we had two guests Helen Lewis and Susan Glassford as well as two visiting Rotarians in PDG Fred Loneragan and Len Wade from the Wagga Wagga Sunrise club.  In all 14 members attended.  Len spoke on the upcoming Wagga Wagga Sunrise Jazz night on April 5th to raise funds for the Wagga Wagga Hospital Auxiliary and Polio Plus.  PDG Fred Loneragan spoke briefly on the upcoming D9700 Conference in Orange.

President Dick Jennings encouraged everyone to volunteer to work at the upcoming Music for Mates Concert on Saturday.  Ian Jennings will be sending the roster for Saturday’s volunteers  via EMAIL.

Dick also thanked the volunteers who fed 138 Trikers last Friday as seen in a pictorial essay above.  Special mention was made of the three ladies who worked so hard Miffy, Bernadette and Susan.

An Information Technology workshop followed dinner and this was conducted by Paul Weston and John Glassford.  Several of the members brought their devices along for the workshop.  We have a lot of work to do here but it was a good start with some members very proficient and others not into the Internet or computers.  HOWEVER all present do use email so that is a good start.

John feels that the way of the future will lie in technology such as Facebook and whatever takes the place of Facebook into the future.

It was also PE Garth Perkin’s birthday.

Diary Reminders.

Monday March 17-Friday March 21st RYDA in Wagga Wagga (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness)

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Saturday 22nd March Music for Mates Concert in Coolamon.

Monday 24th March CLUB ASSEMBLY

Monday 31st  March Social Night at PE Garth and Marg Perkin’s home.  BYO.

Saturday 5th April Wagga Wagga Sunrise Jazz Night see advert below:

*Monday 7th April Des Carmody Guest Speaker “Gallipoli Victory or Defeat?”

Thursday April 10th BINGO Rostered ON: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Ted Hutcheon

Monday 14th April Regular Meeting followed by the April Board Meeting.

Saturday 19th April EASTER MARKETS in Coolamon.

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos.

Thursday May 8th BINGO Rostered ON: Bernadette Milne, Miffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

Thursday June 12th BINGO Rostered ON: John Glassford, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson, Henk Hulsman

Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 June Wagga Wagga Book Fair.

Saturday 28th June D9700 Change Over Dinner in Orange.

*Monday July 7th 2015 ANNUAL CHANGE OVER DINNER

Saturday 9th August Coolamon Street Raffle

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Christine Atkinson on 0427 880 158 or 6927 3521 BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Congratulations on 46 years, #Rotaract!

Rotaractors and #Rotary go hand in hand. Read how 7,084 people did just that. #RotaractStorm

By Ramkumar Raju A., Rotaract Club of Madras Central, Tamil Nadu, India

Last April, I was asked by  RI Director P.T. Prabhakar to form a team and help gather 10,000 Rotaractors for a Presidential New Generations Conference to be held in Chennai, India, for then President-elect Ron Burton. We have more than 25,000 Rotaract members in our district but I was overwhelmed by the request.

I said I didn’t think it would be possible without the support of Rotarians in our district.

The largest human image of a hand, consisting of 7,084 people.The largest human image of a hand, consisting of 7,084 people. 

I was going crazy, and wondered how we could fund such a large effort. But our district governor told me to leave that to the Rotarians, and give it our best effort.

A team of Rotarians and Rotaractors was formed and we selected the theme, “We Are the Change,” which brought a big smile to my face. Now I was ready for the challenge, and ready to be “the Change.”

Rotaract, Rotary go hand in hand

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

A Fight With The Wife!

A man gets into a big argument with his wife  so he decides to head up to the local pub and drink a few pints while she cools off. He runs into a few friends and they start celebrating and talking about the good ole’ days. Several hours quickly pass and he decides its getting late and he better start heading home.

He goes to get off the bar stool to leave and falls flat on his face. He makes several attempts to get up but cant seem to get on his feet. He thinks to himself that he must’ve really over done it this time to be so drunk he cant even stand. He looks around and luckily no one has noticed his drunken display so he crawls out of the bar where he still cant seem to pull himself together. He figures the hell with it, its only a few blocks to his house so he just crawls home and gently slides into bed as not to disturb his sleeping wife.

The next morning he awakes with this feeling of  piercing eyes upon him when he notices his wife standing at the foot of the bed with her arms crossed and obviously upset. He mutters out a “Good morning, honey” to which she angrily replies “You were out at the pub all night getting drunk, weren’t you?”

He quickly rolls over and begins to plead with her, “Of course not honey, I wouldn’t do that. I was here in bed with you most of night. Why in the world would you say that?”

She rolls her eyes and replies, “Because the pub called, you forgot your wheelchair…Again!”

The Triker and the Bridge

Last Autumn a group of trikers were riding across the Harbour Bridge, when they saw a girl about to jump off a bridge…So they stopped.  George, their leader, a big burly man of 53, gets off his TRIKE, walks through a group of gawkers, past the Highway Patrolman who was trying to talk her down off the railing, and says, “G ‘ day gorgeous what you doing’ up there on that railing?”

She says tearfully, “I’m going to commit suicide!!”

While he didn’t want to appear ‘sensitive’, George also didn’t want to miss this ‘be-a-legend’ opportunity either so he asked…

“Well, before you jump, Honey-Babe… Why don’t you give your old mate George here your best last kiss?”

So, with no hesitation at all, she leaned back over the railing and did just that… And it was a long, deep, lingering kiss followed immediately by another even better one.

After they breathlessly finished, George gets a big thumbs-up approval from his triker-buddies, the onlookers, and even the cops, and then says,  “Wow! That was the best kiss I have ever had, Honey! That’s a real talent you’re wasting, Sugar Shorts. You could be famous if you rode with me. Why the hell are you committing suicide?”

“My parents don’t like me dressing up like a girl.”

It’s still unclear whether the person jumped or was pushed!

ROTARY INFORMATION

The 2012-2013 Annual Report of Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation is now available and I can send you a pdf copy.

SOME HIGHLIGHTS (Click on thumb nail to enlarge):

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Worldwide Project

4 – 2013-14
LifeStraws – water purifiers for clean drinking water in emergency situations, Worldwide

To provide a means of filtering water to provide safe drinking water in disasters or emergency situations in developing countries, Worldwide

Contact
Carolyn Krueger
P: (07) 5448 – 2006
Email: [email protected]

Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Buderim , District 9600

For additional information please visit: BUDERIM ROTARY CLUB

SYDNEY ROTARY CONVENTION

SOME ATTRACTIONS ON THE WAY TO SYDNEY

KAKADU NORTHERN TERRITORY

To those International readers of our bulletin why not visit the Northern Territory on your way to Sydney?

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

The programme Click to Enlarge:

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION

WE HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED BOOTH #224 IN THE BILLABONG

If you are going to Sydney and can help us man our booth please let us know.

THANKS!

FOOT NOTE

WWW. 25 YEARS OLD!

Sir Tim Berners-Lee in 2012

A 1989 document that was both practical and prescient.

On March 12, 1989, British computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee distributed a document to his colleagues at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, in Geneva. His unprepossessing title, “Information Management: A Proposal,” indicates that he wasn’t trying to change the world. He just knew that CERN had vast quantities of valuable information stored all over the place, and that it would be easier to find if it were all linked together in a way that made it accessible from any computer. So — returning to concepts he had started exploring in 1980 during an earlier tour of duty at CERN — he recommended creating a networked hypertext system to manage all that knowledge.

The idea floated out there for a while before it became reality, at CERN or anywhere else, but what Berners-Lee was proposing came to be known as the World Wide Web. That makes today, March 12, 2014, as good a day as any to celebrate the web’s 25th birthday.

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2013 -2014

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#