Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #2122-40

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

Trust that you all enjoyed Mothers Day 2022.  This is from New Zealand:

World of WearableArt (WOW)

Seraph is inspired by the strong and regal Greco-Roman goddesses. She evokes power, authority, and femininity. A great day to celebrate the strength of women and mothers. Happy Mothers Day! We hope all mothers are being looked after goddess-style today. Garment: Seraph, Amelia Taverner & Eleanor Beeden, New Zealand.

WEEK OF MAY 9th

We had 13 members and 5 guests to our meeting on Monday night, which was self-catered by our members. Our guests were Dr. Joe again, Susan Glassford, Myffy Collette, Phil McIntosh and David Byfield, both visiting Rotarians from the Wollundry RC. The steaks were very tender and well cooked by Henk Hulsman and Daryl Breust:

Sorry about the blurred photo but they were both going so fast!

The main event of the night was the presentation to our club from Wollundry RC for our work for the recent Gears and Beers weekend.  Phil thanked our members and said that without us turning up in force they could not hold the Dirty 130 or the 115 events.  Special mention for the hard work that Daryl Breust put in again this year for this event.

Phil said that the gross funds raised so far were around $300,000 for the March event for Gears and Beers.  This is an amazing result and gets bigger every time they run this event.  The next one will be on the long weekend in October from October 1st and 2nd.

Albert briefly discussed some upcoming events including the Ganmain dog show in June which on advice form Leslie Weston will be the Southern Region Dog Society’s biggest classic dog show this year.  It is likely that our catering skills will be needed for the three-day event.

Saturday is the street raffle in Coolamon.  The prize this time is a trailer load firewood.

Brian Pattison has requested the use of our club food van for the Marrar camp draft event at the end of May.

Red Shield appeal is on Saturday 28th May at Foodworks and on Sunday 29th May at the football at Kindra Park.

We have also been asked to work with the Coolamon Lions on the gate for the Ganmain Show in August.

Stand-in S@A Ian Jennings conducted a fine session and the raffle was won by Anne (meat voucher) and Susan (bottle of wine).

All in all, a good evening of friendship and fellowship with great steaks.

DIARY

*N.B. You are always welcome to bring guests to most of our meetings, just advise Ian Jennings if you want to bring a guest along when you respond to the weekly dinner roll call!

Monday May 17th – Club Assembly (focus on Sunflowers for Ukraine).  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6.30 for 7 pm.

Saturday 21st May – D9705 Club Development Seminar {formerly called District Assembly}.ALL 2022-2023 Board Members need to attend. Parkes, 9 am start.

Saturday 28th May – Red Shield Appeal. Footy at Kindra Park (roster to be circulated) AND Coolamon Foodworks (roster to be circulated).

Sunday May 29th – Red Shield Appeal. Coolamon Foodworks (roster to be circulated).

18th, 19th 20th June – Catering for Southern Region Dog Show. Ganmain showgrounds.

Monday 4th July – CRC 51st Changeover. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Tuesday August 2nd – Larapinta Trek (benefit for ShelterBox) (with Garth Perkin, Mary Potts and Don Dyce).

Larapinta Trek 2022 for ShelterBox

Saturday/Sunday October 1st-2nd – Gears and Beers (Wollundry RC). 

https://gearsandbeers.org.au/

Friday-Sunday 21st-23rd October – District Conference.  Joyes Hall, CSU campus, Wagga Wagga (details forthcoming). [NB The district conference will be moving to an October timeslot as of this year, which is why we’re having two district conferences in 2022).

Friday-Sunday 28th-30th October 2022 Rotary Zone 8 Conference (Canberra).

Rotary Australia New Zealand and Pacific Islands Conference

JUST FOR LAUGHS

Some random observations on life…

• I just read that 4,153,237 people got married last year.  Not to cause any trouble, but shouldn’t that be an even number?
  • Today a man knocked on my door and asked for a small donation towards the local swimming pool. I gave him a glass of water.
  • If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they would eventually find me attractive.
  • A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.
  • Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y?
  • My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
  • I think my neighbour is stalking me because she’s been googling my name on her computer. I saw it through my telescope last night.
  • They say that money talks …but all mine ever says is good-bye

THE PUZZLER

Answer to the last Puzzlers: 

Easier one: The river was frozen. Harder one: Albert should question Mark.  If you listen to the message rock tied on the  read out, the answer will jump out at you (try it!).

This week’s puzzlers: 

Easier one: Dead on the field lie ten soldiers in white,
felled by three eyes, black as night.
What’s going on here?

Harder one: An Arab sheik is getting old and must leave his fortune to one of his two sons. He makes a proposition: Both sons will ride their camels in a race, and whichever camel crosses the finish line LAST will win the fortune for its owner. During the race, the two brothers wander aimlessly for days, neither willing to cross the finish line. In desperation, they ask a wise man for advice. He tells them something, then the brothers leap onto the camels and charge toward the finish line. What did the wise man say?

ROTARY NEWS

1.  LARAPINTA TREK UPDATE

Click on the photo above for a video on Larapinta.

We now have three trekkers for Larapinta in August.

Mary Potts, Don Dyce and Garth Perkin.  They start the trek on August 2nd.  The goal is to each trekker to raise $3,000 for ShelterBox Australia.

Further information can be found on their relative donation pages on the ShelterBox Larapinta website:

Situated in the heart of Northern Territory’s Outback, the Larapinta Trail is one of Australia’s premier long distance hikes.

Winding its way some 231 km along the incredible West MacDonnell ranges, it traverses ridges and plains, and passes through some of the most amazing gorges in the country. 

Distance :   143.5 miles (231 km)

Avg. Time :   13 – 15 days

2.  CRC BLAST FROM THE PAST

Just going through some of the archives and thought that some of you may enjoy these photos and I have many.

Still going strong and we may post a few more in the next bulletins.  Click on the thumb nail for a larger image.

MAY IS YOUTH SERVICE MONTH

Graphics by Debbie Vance from Canada.

ROTARY CLUB OF COOLAMON Inc. 2021-22

Chartered March 3rd, 1971; Sponsoring Club Narrandera Rotary Club

President: Albert Suidgeest

President-Elect 2022-2023: Paul Weston

Secretary: John Glassford

Treasurer: Henk Hulsman

Rotary Foundation Director: Neil Munro

Membership Director: Dick Jennings

Service Projects Director: Daryl Breust

Youth Services Director: Anne Rzeszkowski