Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #1617-4

Meeting 25th July

This week’s meeting was a regular meeting with a couple of very interesting guest speakers, Fanny Lamouille and Jeremy Rey from Annecy, France.  Fanny and Jeremy are a young couple that left well paying jobs in Geneva, Switzerland (a short commute from their house in France) and made the big trip to Sydney to give it a whirl.  After spending several months in Sydney and not finding what they were looking for, they ended up in Ganmain and have been doing a range of jobs for John and Susan Glassford with their straw house construction business.  Fanny and Jeremy love their Australian life, but do miss the pastries, cheeses and other delicacies of their homeland.  They plan to move to Melbourne and spend another year or more down under before deciding their next move.  Leslie thanked the pair of speakers (in French!) and presented them with a kangaroo hide coin pouch (photo below). The evening was finished off with a raffle (won by Paul) and a brilliant fine session by Sargeant-At-Arms Ted Hutcheon, who really outdid himself!

FannyJeremy&LeslieGroupShot

Up To Date Art Exhibition

The social event of the year took place on Friday evening with the opening of the art show at the Up To Date Store.  The show continues to grow, and features some exceptional artwork created by artists from Coolamon and throughout the Riverina.  A number of Rotarians were in the crowd, including President Don Dyce, who presented the award for sculpture and ceramics, which was sponsored by Coolamon Rotary.  The winning entry was an elaborate birdhouse created by Gabby Thompson and Albert Suidgeest. Pictured in the photo below (from left to right) are Gabby, Suzanne Houghton (the artist in residence), Jean-Claude Pretorius (show judge), and President Don.  The other photo depicts Gabby & Albert’s winning birdhouse sculpture.  Other Rotarians in attendance at the show included Ian (and Marilyn) Jennings, John (and Suzie) Glassford, Alex Thompson, Wayne (and Helen) Lewis, Paul & Leslie Weston, and Mike Perrott (Narrandera Rotary).  Also in the crowd was Don’s partner, Sally Farmer, who exhibited an intricate mosaic.  As always, it was an excellent show and very enjoyable evening.  The exhibit will be on display through Sunday (31 July), so there’s still time to take in some excellent artwork.

Art Show 01Art Show 02

On the lighter side

Things Dad Will Never Say

1. Well, how about that! I’m lost. Looks like we’ll have to stop and ask for directions.
  2. You know, pumpkin. Now that you’re thirteen, you’ll be ready for unchaperoned car dates. Won’t that be fun?
  3.  I noticed that all your friends have a certain negative attitude. I like that!
  4.  Here’s a credit card and the keys to my new car. Go crazy!
  5. What do you mean you want to play football? Figure skating not good enough for you, son?
  6.  Your Mother and I are going away for the weekend. You might want to consider throwing a party.
  7.  Well, I don’t know what’s wrong with your car. Probably one of those doo-hickey thingies. You know, that makes it run or something. Just have it towed to a mechanic and pay whatever he asks.
  8. No son of mine is going to live under this roof without an earring. Now, quit your belly aching and let’s go to the mall.
  9.  What do you want to go and get a job for? I make plenty of money for you to spend.
  10.  Father’s Day? Ah, don’t worry about that. It’s no big deal!

The power of prayer

Little Johnny and his family were having Sunday dinner at his grandmother’s house. Everyone was seated around the table as the food was being served.

When little Johnny received his plate he started eating right away.

“Johnny, wait until we say our prayer.”

“I don’t have to,” the boy replied.

“Of course you do,” his mother insisted. “We say a prayer before eating at
our house.”

“That’s at our house,” Johnny explained, “but this is Grandma’s house, and she knows how to cook.”

The puzzler

One night, a man receives a call from the police. The police tell the man that his wife was murdered, and that he should reach the crime scene as soon as possible. The man drops the phone, shocked, and drives 20 minutes to the crime scene. As soon as he reaches the crime scene, the police arrest him and he is convicted of murder. How the police know that he committed the crime?

Answer to last week’s puzzler:

MatchPuzzleSolution

Diary Reminders

Monday, 1 August: Regular meeting*. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club. Guest speaker: Scott Norman (The pleasures of owning a Tesla!)

Monday, 8 August: Club assembly.  Coolamon Sport & Rec Club. No guests.

Thursday, 11 August: Bingo [Grahame (Capt), Daryl, Wayne and Ted]

Monday, 15 August: Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club.

Wednesday, 17 August: Board meeting. Don Dyce residence, 7 pm.

Thursday, 25 August: Australian Rotary Health Indigenous Australian Medical Scholarship Informational Program, Wagga Mercure, 6:30 pm start. Answer to riddle: wholesome!

Monday, 12 September: Regular meeting and visit by DG Michael Millston. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club.

Saturday, 17 September: Kindra Forest Multipurpose Trail Opening.

Saturday, 17 September: Coolamon Cheese Factory Grand Opening.

Sunday, 2 October: Gears & Beers. Stay tuned for details!

Sunday, 16 October: President’s Forum and D9700 AGM, Young.

Saturday, 26 November: Street Raffle.

*Partners and Guests Night

Apologies for Monday meetings: call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12:00 pm.