RI President Kalyan Banerjee visits Wagga

Rotarians in District 9700 were treated to a rare visit from the standing president of Rotary International when Kalyan Banerjee arrived in Wagga during the week of 21 May. The Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga, as the first Rotary Club in the district, served as host and organised a very nice reception at the Wagga Wagga Country Club. Over 300 Rotarians and guests, many traveling several hours to attend, enjoyed an evening of comraderie and speeches from President Banerjee, DG Ian Simpson, and award recipient Alok Sharma, an optician from Wagga who received a “service above self” award for his “Darkness to Light” program that brings eye surgery to needy patients in India. Representing the Coolamon Rotary Club were President Marg, Garth Perkin, John Burns (who, as a recent Rotary inductee was pinned by President Banerjee), Ian Durham and Paul Weston. Despite having to stand for the duration of the event, a good time was had by all.

Characters you meet at a Rotary Convention

One of the most amazing chaps we met in Bangkok was this Indian gentleman and here is a description of him and his work. He is a Rotarian from the RC of Madras Midtown.

Here are the web sites he is involved in:

http://exnora.org/

http://exnora.in/

His business card is something else.

I quote a couple of things that he has on his card.

“Guess who I am?”

“People think of me whenever they see Muck and Garbage”

“Strangely my name is opposite to what you saw! It is sad that people don’t remember me when the see cleanliness”

“When you have Muck you need a Broomstick with broomstick in your hand you automatically get NIRMAL (meaning cleanliness) Appreciate my parents for the foresight of naming me Nirmal.”

I am Muck Broomstick Nirmal.

Dr. M. B. Nirmal.

We said in 1996 “Waste is not Waste until it is Wasted” and further on to say in 1998:

“It is not Waste management but Wealth management”

Our quotes “It is not TRASH but CASH”. It is not MUCK but LUCK” and it is not FILTH but WEALTH” brought fortune to hundreds who took our advice.

Waste made us popular than anybody & anything else.

Lisbon 2013 Convention

Registration is now open for the 2013 RI Convention in Lisbon, Portugal, 23-26 June! Lisbon is an explorer’s paradise. Perched on the west coast of Europe, Portugal’s capital city is a charming combination of old-world appeal and modern flair.

Bangkok Day 4

Bangkok Convention mascots and a Nigerian

Another very busy day in Bangkok.  Missed the plenary session but went to the RFFA AGM and took time out to visit the other booths.

Official RI Photos of the Bangkok Convention

Here are some official photos credit to Rotary International I am sure that they will not mind sharing them here.

Performance by children dressed in traditional outfits from around the world at the House of Friendship Grand Opening during the RI Convention

Bangkok Day 3

Beautiful music beautiful ladies.

What a day!  best plenary session ever great speakers followed by a very busy afternoon in the House of Friendship and to complete the day a reception for Bequest Society members.  Photos below cannot do the day justice.

Antipoverty crusader Hugh Evans, cofounder and CEO of the Global Poverty Project.  Great speech and what a wonderful ambassador for Australia.

Microcredit pioneer Muhammad Yunus, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, commended Rotarians for their work in developing microcredit loans for the poor.  One of the best presentations that I have ever had the privilege to hear.

Angelique Kidjo, Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter and activist , said the world has many health issues for which there are no solutions, but added that “the most frustrating are the ones for which we have a solution and not enough is being done.”

Bangkok Day 2

The Opening Plenary

A very busy day little time to take any photos.  Go here for the video of the openeing plenary session:

Convention Opens