Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #2021-2

Week of July 13th

Things are returning to normal in our neck of the woods, with the Rotary Club of Coolamon meeting in person again this week.  We had a healthy roll-up, with 22 members in attendance.  Watch this space, however, because the recent COVID spike in Sydney has resulted in resumption of tighter restrictions on the size of groups meeting at restaurants in NSW.  We’ll know soon what impact this will have on our weekly meetings.  Let’s hope this “second wave” is short-lived and is not followed by subsequent waves, and that we’ll find a way to continue meeting in person.  We’ll miss Albert’s lively fine sessions (accompanied by jokes that claim to pertain to unlucky members of the club).  Bruce was this week’s victim–you’ll have to come to meetings if you want to hear these gems!

Our monthly Bingo resumed last week, but attendance was very light (not surprising because of the winter weather and the lingering concerns about COVID among our regular players, most of whom are in a high-risk age group). The Bingo committee will be meeting to discuss ways to increase participation in Bingo.  Club members are encouraged to attend and have a go.

President Howard’s board met for the first time this week, and covered quite a bit of territory.  We ran out of time to discuss Howard’s goals for the year, so this will be a topic of discussion at our upcoming Club Assembly on 3 August.  Members are encouraged to attend that meeting in particular to hear what Howard hopes to accomplish this coming year and to provide input into the planning process.  This will be an excellent opportunity for your voice to be heard!

JUST FOR LAUGHS

I changed my iPad’s name to Titanic. It’s syncing now.

When chemists die, they barium.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

I know a guy who’s addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.

How does Moses make his tea ? Hebrews it.

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

This girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club, but I’d never met herbivore.

I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can’t put it down.

I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.

They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a Type-O.

PMS jokes aren’t funny – period.

Why were the Indians in America first ? They had reservations.

We’re going on a class trip to the Coca-Cola factory. I hope there’s no pop quiz.

I didn’t like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.

THE PUZZLER

Answer to last week’s puzzler: There are 6 feet on the floor: four from the bed and your two feet.

This week’s puzzler: Can you solve this riddle?

Three lines in total,
Seventeen syllables long.
Can you guess my name?

DIARY

Monday, July 20thRegular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Monday, July 27thRegular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Monday, August 3rd – Club Assembly. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Monday, August 10th – Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Thursday, August 13th – BINGO. Allawah Community Centre, 6:45 – 10:00 pm.  Rostered: Daryl (captain),  Alex, Chez, John N.

Monday, August 17thRegular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Wednesday, August 19th – Board meeting. Coolamon Convent, 7:30 pm.

* denotes partner & guest night

REMINDERS

Please get your working with children check completed and give the number and expiry date to the secretary ASAP. Failure to do so may mean you are not covered insurance wise when you volunteer at events.

ROTARY CLUB OF COOLAMON Inc. 2020-21

Chartered March 3rd, 1971; Sponsoring Club Narrandera Rotary Club

President: Howard Atkinson
President-Elect: Albert Suidgeest
Secretary: John Glassford
Treasurer: Henk Hulsman 6927 3486
Rotary Foundation Director: Neil Munro
Membership Director: Dick Jennings
Service Projects Director: Albert Suidgeest
Youth Director: Anne Rzeszkowski
Club Admin Director:  Paul Weston
Public Image Director: Grahame Miles
Immediate Past President: Daryl Breust 0409 551 140
Sergeant @ Arms: Albert Suidgeest
Bulletin Editors: Grahame Miles and Paul Weston
Webmaster: John Glassford

Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #2021-1

First bulletin of the Rotary Year

At long last, we were able to meet in person for a Rotary meeting, just in time (or almost) for our changeover.  Because of COVID restrictions, we could not have any guests at the changeover, so it was a more subdued event than our typical changeover, but it was a cheerful event nonetheless because we could finally meet in person.  We welcomed Howard Atkinson as our new president, along with his board for 2020-2021: Henk Hulsman (Treasurer), John Glassford (Secretary), Albert Suidgeest (President-elect and Service Projects Director 1), Dave McKinley (Service Projects Director 2), Grahame Miles (Public Image Director), Neil Munro (Foundation), Anne Rzeszkowski (Youth Director), Dick Jennings (Membership Director) and Paul Weston (Club Administration Director).  We wish Howard and his board a productive year ahead, which will hopefully not be as eventful as the past one!

Outgoing President Daryl Breust inducting 2020-2021 President Howard Atkinson.

In addition to our changeover, the evening featured the induction of our newest member, Chez Post.  Chez will occupy the classification of Horse Handler and be mentored by her beau, Alex. We look forward to having Chez as as part of our active little club!

IPP Daryl Breust inducting Chez Post while fiance and mentor Alex Thompson looks on.

We’ll be meeting in person again on Monday nights, so we look forward to members crawling out of the woodwork, or wherever they’ve been hiding during the COVID lockdown, and joining us for fellowship and Rotary business on Monday evenings.

JUST FOR LAUGHS

THE PUZZLER

Answer to last puzzler: 414. The trick to this one was the values of the clocks  and the calculators.  The clocks were not worth 7 each, but the time shown on the dials, and the calculators were not worth 10 each but rather the value of the numerals shown on the displays, which happened to be 10 (1+2+3+4) in the example equation but only 9 (1+2+2+4) in the solving equation.  Finally, the order of operations was critical; according to the laws of algebra, multiplication and division are performed before addition and subtraction.  Thus, three lightbulbs (worth 3 x 15 = 45) times 9 (the sum of the numerals on the calculator) is equal to 405, plus 9 (the time shown on the clock) is equal to 414.  For fear of being lynched, I promise not to post such challenging puzzlers in the future!

This week’s puzzler: Can you solve this riddle?

You walk into a room and there is a bed.  On the bed are two calves, four dogs, one cat, three chickens and a goose.  How many feet are on the floor?

DIARY

Monday, July 13thRegular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Wednesday, July 15thBoard meeting. Coolamon Convent, 7:00 pm.

Monday, July 20thRegular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Monday, July 27thRegular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Monday, August 3rd – Club Assembly. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Monday, August 10th – Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7:00 pm.

Thursday, August 13th – BINGO. Allawah Community Centre, 6:45 – 10:00 pm.  Rostered: Daryl (captain),  Alex, Chez, John N.

REMINDERS

Please get your working with children check completed and give the number and expiry date to the secretary ASAP. Failure to do so may mean you are not covered insurance wise when you volunteer at events.

ROTARY CLUB OF COOLAMON Inc. 2020-21

President: Howard Atkinson
President-Elect: Albert Suidgeest
Membership Director: Dick Jennings
Service Projects Director: Albert Suidgeest
Club Admin Director:  Paul Weston
Public Image Director: Grahame Miles
Immediate Past President: Daryl Breust 0409 551 140
Sergeant @ Arms: Albert Suidgeest
Bulletin Editors: Grahame Miles and Paul Weston
Webmaster: John Glassford

Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #1920-35

Final bulletin of the Rotary Year

The last several months have been a challenging time for all Australians and for people around the planet, but Rotarians have risen to the challenge, with many clubs keeping up with weekly meetings (albeit not in person) and continuing with their fundraising programs to benefit those in need.  Coolamon Rotary was forced to suspend publication of our community newspaper (The Coolamon Community Chronicle) and operation of our monthly bingo, but we’re excited to announce that Coolamon Rotary Bingo will resume from the 9th of July.  Even more exciting is that we will resume meeting in person as of tomorrow (July 5th), and will be able to have our changeover in person!  Of course, COVID restrictions mean we will have to modify how the activities are run (mainly in terms of limiting the number of people allowed at indoor venues, including our changeover), but at least we’ll be able to see each other in the flesh instead of as video images on our computers or other devices!

Apologies for not getting any issues of the bulletin out during the month of June, but frankly I was challenged to keep up with routine activities as a result of COVID-induced cabin fever (not being able to work in a familiar work environment and having severely limited interactions with colleagues), which resulted in depression and anxiety.  With the easing of COVID restrictions and with the help of a psychologist, my mental state is returning to normal, and hopefully our “new normal” will more and more resemble the lifestyle we knew before the COVID-19 lockdown began.  We hope to see all Coolamon Rotarians at our changeover tomorrow to welcome Howard Atkinson as our new president (along with his board) and Chez Post as our newest Rotarian, and to farewell and congratulate outgoing president Daryl Breust, who led the Coolamon Rotary ship with a steady hand in unpredented times.

Be well and best wishes for the future.

Paul Weston, Bulletin editor

JUST FOR LAUGHS

THE PUZZLER

Answer to last puzzler: 1) Misunderstood, 2) A walk in the park, 3) One in a million, 4) Looking back, 5) You’re under arrest, 6) Stand by me, 7) Walking on ice, 8) I see you understand, 9) Belong.

This week’s puzzler: Can you solve this mathematical puzzler?

DIARY

Monday, July 6thCoolamon Rotary Changeover. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club 6:30 for 7:00 pm. Because of COVID-19 restrictions, there will be no guests allowed.

REMINDERS

ROTARY CLUB OF COOLAMON Inc. 2019-20

President: Daryl Breust 0409 551 140
President-Elect: Howard Atkinson
Membership Director: Paul Weston
Service Projects Director: Howard Atkinson
Club Admin Director:  Dave McKinley
Club Services Director: Albert Suidgeest