Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #44

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #44

JUNE IS ROTARY FELLOWSHIP  MONTH.

There are many fellowships that you can join as a Rotarian here is a list of available fellowships:

Rotary Fellowships.

This week we look at the Skiing Fellowship:

The International Skiing Fellowship of Rotarians ISFR is a group of Rotarians dedicated to promoting skiing as an opportunity for fellowship and service.

Skiing is enjoyed world wide by thousands of Rotarians and their families of all ages and abilities. What better and more enjoyable avenue to build new friendships and international understanding than to join your fellow Rotarians and sharpen your skills on the slopes of the world or see the world on cross-country skis! Not only will your physical fitness improve, but with a closer understanding of Rotary ideals your spirit will be enriched as well.

By joining the Fellowship, you will not only meet Rotarians from around the world who share your interest in skiing, but you will create lasting friendships.

ISFR St Anton, Austria 2013

NO MEETING MONDAY 24th. JUNE

SUNRISE CHANGE OVER DINNER IN WAGGA

This week we cancelled our regular meeting and decided to attend the Wagga Wagga Sunrise Rotary Club’s change over dinner.  In all 9 of us represented Coolamon at the dinner held at the Wagga Wagga Country Club.  It was an excellent evening with great food and even better fellowship.

There were three Paul Harris Awards and a new president in Peter Gissing.  Looks like a good year coming up for Sunrise.

However the highlight of the night was the presentation of the Rotary International Service Above Self Award to PDG Fred Loneragan.  This is the highest award given to a Rotarian and only 150 are awarded annually by the RI President.  There have only been 5 SAS recipients in District 9700 since the inception of the award in 1991.  Congratulations Fred well deserved mate!

Diary Reminders

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

*Thursday 27th June Wagga Wagga Rotary Change over Dinner.

*Saturday June 29th District 9700 Annual Change Over Dinner.

*Monday July 1st COOLAMON 42nd Change Over Night.

*Monday July 1st Temora RC Annual Change Over Dinner. Temora Bowling Club 6.30pm.

*Tuesday July 2nd Lockhart Annual Change Over Dinner.  Lockhart Football Club 6.30pm.

*Sunday July 7th Junee RC Annual Change Over LUNCH,  noon for 12.30.

*Monday July 8th Guest Speaker TBA

*Wednesday July 10th Narrandera RC Change over dinner Ex Servicemans Club, Narrandera.  6.30 for 7pm

Monday 15th July Business meeting followed by a Board Meeting.

*Monday 5th August Shop Locally Campaign Business Houses Meeting.

Thursday 8th August BINGO: Garth Perkin, Grahame Miles, Don Dyce, Rodney Jarrett

*Saturday 17th August Darkness to Light Dinner RC of Wagga Wagga BOOK NOW!

Saturday 12th October Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital Fete IN Ganmain.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

These upbeat and energetic Rotarians from Holland typify convention goers. I love meeting people from different parts of the world. It’s what makes the convention and Rotary so special.

Thank you all for joining Kyoko and me here in Lisbon, Harbor for Peace, to celebrate this wonderful year of Peace Through Service. I’ve always dreamed of a more peaceful world, and for me this convention has been my dream come true.

ロータリー国際大会のためにリスボンまでお越しくださった皆さま、心より感謝を申し上げます。「奉仕を通じて平和を」の年度の幕締めを「平和の港」リスボンで皆さまと一緒に迎えられたことを、大変嬉しく感じています。

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Wedding Cake

Doctor was addressing a large audience: “The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here, years ago. Red meat is awful. Soft drinks corrode your stomach lining.. Chinese food is loaded with MSG. High fat diets can be disastrous, and none of us realizes the long- term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water.

But there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all and we all have, or will, eat it. Can anyone here tell me what food it is that causes the most grief and suffering for years after eating it?”

After several seconds of quiet, a 75-year-old man in the front row raised his hand, and softly said, “Wedding Cake.”

ERIC VAN SOEST

Evolution

A little girl asked her mother, “How did the human race appear?”

The mother answered, “God made Adam and Eve and they had children, and so was all mankind made..”

Two days later the girl asked her father the same question.. The father answered, “Many years ago there were monkeys from which the human race evolved.”

The confused girl returned to her mother and said, “Mom, how is it possible that you told me the human race was created by God, and Dad said they developed from monkeys?”

The mother answered, “Well, dear, it is very simple. I told you about my side of the family and your father told you about his.”

Jasmine

Blonde Coffee

It was a blondes first day at the office. Her first task was to go out for coffee.

Eager to prove her worth to her new bosses, she grabbed a large thermos and hurried to the nearby coffee shop.

She held up the thermos so that the counterman could view it, and she asked, “Is this big enough to hold six cups of coffee?”

The counterman looked at the thermos and replied, “Yes. It looks like about six cups to me.”

“Oh good!” the blonde sighed in relief. “Give me three regular, one black, and two decaf.”

Diane

ROTARY INFORMATION

This week in Lisbon over 20,000 Rotarians from around the world are attending the annual RI Convention.

Here are some photos:

Also I am posting daily video highlights on our web site here of the Convention.

BUCKET LIST

Overlooking the Adriatic Sea, Italy, the Grotta Palazzese restaurant peacefully resides inside a cave!

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Dame Daphne Sheldrick’s Elephant Orphanage Nairobi Kenya

Playful Barsilinga plays up for the camera in this photo taken last week. Having been in our care since March 2012, this little bull arrived at just 2 weeks old after his mother suffered a horrific death following a poaching attack.

Very vulnerable and frightened upon being rescued, Barsilinga was luckily in a very good condition physically and continues to thrive at the Nairobi Nursery.

Foster Barsilinga and help us provide him with the love and care he needs to one day return to the wild:

Sheldrick’s Elephant Orphanage

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Governor of District 9700  Greg Brown

Coolamon Club President  Paul Weston

Coolamon Club Secretary  John Glassford

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

The Rotary world comes to Lisbon for the opening of the 2013 convention

Several centuries ago, Portuguese explorers set sail from Lisbon to explore the world over the seas.

On Sunday, the world, or at least representative parts of it, came to Lisbon, as Rotarians from more than 225 countries and geographic areas gathered for the opening plenary session of the 2013 Rotary International Convention, Lisbon: A Harbour for Peace.

Peace took centre stage all day. During his opening remarks, RI President Sakuji Tanaka, who selected Peace Through Service as this year’s RI theme, shared how he came to make a connection between peace and service. He recalled that he was still very young when he heard the radio broadcast by Japanese Emperor Hirohito announcing the end of World War II.

RI President Tanaka Launches Lisbon Convention from Rotary International on Vimeo.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #43

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #43

JUNE IS ROTARY FELLOWSHIP  MONTH.

There are many fellowships that you can join as a Rotarian here is a list of available fellowships:

Rotary Fellowships.

SURFACE ABOVE SELF

Welcome to the online home of the International Fellowship of Rotarian Scuba Divers (IFRSD).  The IFRSD is the Rotary International fellowship for Rotarians who scuba dive.

We dive as a group once or twice a year, often on board a live-aboard vessel in exotic destinations like Fiji, Coco Island or Palau, but also on land trips in the Caribbean or other prime diving locations. On each trip we connect with a local Rotary club and contribute to a local project or cause.

Scuba Diving Rotarians

Diving in Cancun Mexico

MEETING MONDAY 17th. JUNE

Left to right Maddy Tokely, Emma Crocker, Paul Weston and from the Salvation Army Caleb Smith. Absent Ashley Carroll.

President Paul Weston presenting the Salvation Army Red Shield appeal certificates to two of the Coolamon students who helped collect a record amount for the Salvation Army on Red Shield day from the Coolamon residents.

President Paul thanked all the volunteers who collected for the Salvation army and we raised $2,716.00 on the two days.  Special thanks to Ted Hutcheon.

After dinner we had a planning meeting for our change over night which was followed by a board meeting, the last one for Paul’s year as president.   There will be no rest for Paul next Rotary year as Paul has volunteered to be our secretary, good on you Paul.

PRESIDENT PAUL WESTON’S REPORT

President’s report

The Rotary year is rapidly coming to an end.  Our changeover is less than two weeks away, and our projects for the year are done.  In lieu of our regular meeting next week, a number of us will be going to Wagga next Tuesday to experience the Wagga Sunrise changeover.  John Glassford has hinted that we won’t regret forking over the $50 pp to attend, so we’re eagerly awaiting the night.

Looking back on the year, I’d have to say I’m fairly satisfied.  We met most of the goals we set out for the year, none more important than adding five new members to the club.  Not just five warm bodies, but five active members of the community who are already demonstrating their dedication to the goals of Rotary.  It’s important that we continue this effort to add new members, and I’m confident that success in this area will breed success as our club has increased impact on the community.

Our Shop Locally program is done for this Rotary year, but I’m happy to announce that the program will continue in President Dick’s year with a business financing workshop scheduled for August 5.  We never managed to squeeze in a joint venture or social outing with the Lions, but I understand incoming president Dick is working on an outing to Wagga with Lions sometime in his year.

I’ll have a more complete wrap-up at the changeover on July 1, so I look forward to seeing you there.  I’d like to thank the hard work of all the members of our great little club; we may be small in numbers, but we’re big in heart and punch above our weight.  Everyone seems to find a way to contribute, which makes this club work.  Thank you for making my job easier.

Yours in Rotary,
Paul

Diary Reminders

*Saturday 22nd June RC Murrumbidgee  Changeover at the Mercure Premiere Motel, 6.30 for 7pm.

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

Monday 24th June NO MEETING We are going to Wagga Wagga Sunrise Change Over Dinner on Tuesday 25th.

Monday 24th June RC South Wagga at the Wagga RSL Club  6.30 for 7.00 pm.

*Tuesday 25th June Wagga Wagga Sunrise Annual Change Over Dinner Country Club Wagga 6.30pm.

*Wednesday June 26th Henty RC Annual Change Over Dinner.  Community Club 6.30pm.

*Thursday 27th June Wagga Wagga Rotary Change over Dinner.

*Saturday June 29th District 9700 Annual Change Over Dinner.

*Monday July 1st COOLAMON 42nd Change Over Night.

*Monday July 1st Temora RC Annual Change Over Dinner. Temora Bowling Club 6.30pm.

*Tuesday July 2nd Lockhart Annual Change Over Dinner.  Lockhart Football Club 6.30pm.

*Sunday July 7th Junee RC Annual Change Over LUNCH,  noon for 12.30.

*Wednesday July 10th Narrandera RC Change over dinner Ex Servicemans Club, Narrandera.  6.30 for 7pm

*Saturday 17th August Darkness to Light Dinner RC of Wagga Wagga BOOK NOW!

Saturday 12th October Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital Fete IN Ganmain.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

Rotarians in District 1750 in France published a book of children’s drawings on the subject of peace in honour of my theme Peace Through Service. My sincere thanks to the children and Rotarians for their time and effort creating this wonderful work of art.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Very Drunk

A very drunk man comes out of the bar and sees another very drunk man.
He looks up in the sky and says, “Is that the sun or the moon?”
The other drunk man answers, “I don’t know. I’m a stranger here myself.”

Weddings

When I was young I didn’t like going to weddings.
My grandmother would tell me, “You’re next”
However, she stopped doing that after I started saying the same thing to her at funerals.

Chinese Torture

A young man was lost wandering in a forest, when he came upon a small house.

He knocked on the door and was greeted by an ancient Chinese man with a long, grey beard. “I’m lost,” said the man. “Can you put me up for the night?”

“Certainly,” the Chinese man said, “but on one condition. If you so much as lay a finger on my daughter, I will inflict upon you the three worst Chinese tortures known to man.”

“Ok,” said the man, thinking that the daughter must be pretty old as well, and entered the house.

Before dinner, the daughter came down the stairs. She was young, beautiful, and had a fantastic figure.

She was obviously attracted to the young man since she couldn’t keep her eyes off him during the meal.

Remembering the old man’s warning, he ignored her and went up to bed alone.

But during he night, he could bear it no longer, and sneaked into her room for a night of passion.

He was careful to keep everything quiet so the old man wouldn’t hear. Near dawn he crept back to his room, exhausted, but happy.

He woke in the morning with the feel of pressure on his chest. Opening his eyes he saw a large rock on his chest with a note on it that read, “Chinese Torture 1: Large rock on chest.”

“Well, that’s pretty crappy,” he thought. “If that’s the best the old man can do then I don’t have much to worry about.”

He picked the boulder up, walked over to the window and threw the boulder out. As he did so he noticed another note on it that read: “Chinese Torture 2: Rock tied to left t……….”

In a panic he glanced down and saw the rope that was already getting close to the end.

Figuring that a few broken bones was better than castration, he jumped out of the window after the boulder.

As he plummeted downward he saw a large sign on the ground that read, “Chinese Torture 3: Right t……. tied to bedpost.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

CHANGE OVER INDUCTION DINNERS

TO

2012-2013                                                            2013-2014

Induction dinners or luncheons for the new Rotary Year are a tradition of Rotary Clubs around the world.

Coolamon is no exception and we look forward to the 42nd Change Over dinner on July 1st in Coolamon.  We get to celebrate President Paul’s year as president and induct Dick Jennings as our new president for 2013-3014.  We will have the honour to have our new District Governor present, Geoff and Bettye Tancred.  This will be DG Geoff’s first official engagement as District Governor of D9700.

Several clubs in our District 9700 have already had their change over dinners.  We will welcome visiting Rotarians and some of us will attend change over dinners in our area.

Some clubs go to great lengths to have a memorable night.  This sometimes includes skits, choirs and shows.  Some clubs also theme the event and members and guests are invited to dress for the theme.

So come along and enjoy our night of fellowship and renewal.

PP Marg Perkin hands over to President Paul Weston June 2012

Here is an interesting invitation to the change over dinner for the Rotary Club of Voi in Kenya:

Rotary Club Of Voi will be having their installation on the 15th of June at the Voi Wildlife Lodge.. Anyone going down in that direction feel free to pass by!

Tickets for the installation are going at Kshs 1,200.
The dinner kicks off as from 7pm.
Dress code: Semi-formal

BUCKET LIST

Cancun Mexico

Cancun Underwater Museum

CANCUN ROTARY CLUB

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Governor of District 9700  Greg Brown

Coolamon Club President  Paul Weston

Coolamon Club Secretary  John Glassford

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford