The Power of Words

Historia de un letrero or The Story of a Sign

An original video in Spanish however the message is powerful. In case you miss the translation of writing on the sign it says “Have compassion I am blind”. Watch it to the end simply beautiful. Made in 2008.

Thanks to Mandy Smith one of our Kili 2007 Climbers.

RIPE Kalyan Banerjee’s Address @ NOLA

Rotary International President Elect Kaylan Banerjee and Binota Banerjee

The following text is only a small part of this inspirational man’s presentation at the recent Rotary International Convention held last week in New Orleans.

“Yes, my brothers and sisters in Rotary, the time has come for us to change . change from our pallor of gray and go green, to embrace our new generation of newer, younger members. They are all out there waiting to come in, and we need to open our doors and give them space. And I don’t know how you feel, but I have always believed that the younger generation of today is perhaps more committed to the ideas of service and friendship than many of us were at that age. And we must understand the reality of the new generation of Rotary and help them balance expectations with realities. They are under pressure constantly, being involved in multiple endeavors, and yet have a strong work-life balance. And I understand too that even though they may be constantly on call with their careers and managing multiple responsibilities, they are as dedicated and passionate about being a Rotarian as you and I are.”

Here is the full address:

RIPE Kaylan Banerjee

Bruce Aylward: How we’ll stop polio for good

Polio is almost completely eradicated. But as Bruce Aylward says: Almost isn’t good enough with a disease this terrifying. Aylward lays out the plan to continue the scientific miracle that ended polio in most of the world — and to snuff it out everywhere, forever.

Bruce Aylward is a Canadian physician and epidemiologist who heads the polio eradication programme at WHO, the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI).

Thank you PDG Joan Firkins from Canada for the video.

News From Hout Bay Rotary in Cape Town

Hout Bay Rotary Meeting 2007 Kilimanjaro

From left to right: Susan and John Glassford (Coolamon Rotary), Anna Khuzwayo (Imizamu Yethu), Michael Dorrian (Coonabarabran Rotary), Sharon Daishe (Forbes Ipomoea Rotary), Craig Corrigan (Coolamon Rotary),  Mandy Watson (Burleigh Heads Rotary), Patrick McLaughlin (Hout Bay Rotary), Peter Sparks (Griffith Avanti Rotary), “Babu” Bob Kendell (Lockhart Rotary), Peter Johnston (Hout Bay Rotary).

President Patrick McLaughlin has sent us the latest news from Hout Bay Rotary Club our Centennial Twin Club below:

Hout Bay Newsletter

Generation Y has much to offer Rotary, says McQueen

Michael McQueen in New Orleans

Michael McQueen, who spoke at the second plenary session of the RI Convention, is a social researcher and best-selling author of two books on bridging the generation gap. As a leading authority on youth trends, he is regularly featured on TV and radio programs. McQueen sat down with RI News in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, to talk about how Rotary can best connect with Generation Y.

Read the interview with RI here:

McQueen at New Orleans

We met Michael at the District 9700 conference in Orange in March and he inspired us to look to Gen Y for our future members.  Great to see that Michael was a plenary speaker at our International Convention in New Orleans.

NEXGEN Web Site