Coolamon Rotary Bulletin #2122-41

WEEK OF MAY 16th

Town Entry Signs
Coolamon Shire Council would like to present the final and completed concepts for the new town entry and exit signs for each town in the shire.
Each town will be represented with their individual colour and identifying symbol. Please be mindful that the digital images are as close as possible to the colours that will be used on the actual signage but there may be slight variations upon completion. All aspects of the design will be visible and identifiable entering and leaving each town.

Meeting of Monday, 16th May

This week’s meeting was held at the Top Pub as Gilbert is still away.  Past President Daryl Breust was in the chair as president since President Albert Suidgeestis away on a well-earned holiday to Western Australia.

In attendance were 15 members and 4 guests.  Guests included Holly Wright, English teacher from the Coolamon Central School, students Bethany Crocker and school captain Summer Buchegger, and Adrian Lindner’s guest, Ross Walters. After Daryl welcomed those in attendance, the meeting took place in two parts.  First Daryl spoke on the upcoming Red Shield Appeal and asked for volunteers for the two days that we are collecting. The roster for Sunday, 29th May can be found below in the diary. Daryl reported that the street raffle was won by Glen West and that we netted $400.95 in sales.  Thanks to Albert for getting the trailer of wood split and loaded into the trailer and parking it in Cowabbie Street.

Part two of the meeting was a presentation by John Glassford on the progress and the logistics of the Sunflower Seeds for Ukraine initiative by our club.  Full report in this bulletin.

The evening concluded with a fines session led by Ian and Dick Jennings and the raffle, which was won by  John Nulty.

DIARY

*N.B. You are always welcome to bring guests to most of our meetings, just advise Ian Jennings if you want to bring a guest along when you respond to the weekly dinner roll call!

Saturday 21st May – D9705 Club Development Seminar {formerly called District Assembly}.ALL 2022-2023 Board Members need to attend. Parkes, 9 am start.

Monday 23rd May – Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Saturday 28th May – Red Shield Appeal. Footy at Kindra Park.

Sunday 29th May – Red Shield Appeal. Coolamon Foodworks. Roster: 9.00 – 10.30 am – Paul Weston and Mark Reardon; 10.30 – 12.00 pm – Henk Hulsman and Sharon Reardon; 12.00pm – 2.00pm – Mary Potts and Anne Rzeszkowski.

Monday 30th May – Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Monday 6th June – Regular meeting. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Monday 13th June – No meeting (public holiday).

18th, 19th 20th June – Catering for Southern Region Dog Show. Ganmain showgrounds.

Monday 4th July – CRC 51st Changeover. Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6:30 for 7 pm.

Tuesday August 2nd – Larapinta Trek (benefit for ShelterBox) (with Garth Perkin, Mary Potts and Don Dyce).

Larapinta Trek 2022 for ShelterBox

Saturday/Sunday October 1st-2nd – Gears and Beers (Wollundry RC). 

https://gearsandbeers.org.au/

Friday-Sunday 21st-23rd October – District Conference.  Joyes Hall, CSU campus, Wagga Wagga (details forthcoming). [NB The district conference will be moving to an October timeslot as of this year, which is why we’re having two district conferences in 2022).

Friday-Sunday 28th-30th October 2022 Rotary Zone 8 Conference (Canberra).

Rotary Australia New Zealand and Pacific Islands Conference

JUST FOR LAUGHS

More witticisms

• You’re not fat, you’re just… easier to see.
  • If you think nobody cares whether you’re alive, try missing a couple of payments.
  • My therapist said that my narcissism causes me to misread social situations. I’m pretty sure she was hitting on me.
  • My 60-year kindergarten reunion is coming up soon and I’m worried about the 75 kilos I’ve gained since then.
  • The pharmacist asked me my birth date again today. I’m pretty sure she’s going to get me something.
  • The location of your mailbox shows you how far away from your house you can be in a robe before you start looking like an escaped mental patient.
  • Money can’t buy happiness, but it keeps the kids in touch!
  • The reason Mayberry was so peaceful and quiet was because nobody was married. Andy, Aunt Bea, Barney, Floyd, Howard, Goober, Gomer, Sam, Earnest T Bass, Helen, Thelma Lou, Clara and, of course, Opie were all single. The only married person was Otis, and he stayed drunk.

THE PUZZLER

Answer to the last Puzzlers: 

Easier one: The scene described is 10-pin bowling.

Harder one: The wise man told the two sons to switch camels; if they reached the destination first on their brother’s camel, their camel would come in last and they would win the inheritance!

This week’s puzzlers: 

Easier one: What is special about these words: job, polish, and herb?

Harder one: A man describes his daughters as follows: “They are all blonde, but two; all brunette but two; and all redheaded but two.” How many daughters does he have?

ROTARY NEWS

1.  SUNFLOWER SEEDS FOR UKRAINE

John started by asking Mary and Anne to speak on their district training in Goulburn over the weekend.  Anne and Mary enjoyed the day very much, learned a lot and said that every member should attend these training sessions.

Mary and Anne said that they displayed our mock up display/donation box and had a lot of enquiries and several donations for a packet of seeds.

It was so encouraging to have Holly Wright, Bethany Crocker and Summer Buchegger attend our meeting.  It was Holly who first wrote to us offering the school’s help.  Holly said:

My name is Holly Wright, and I am the SRC coordinator at Coolamon Central School for 2022. I know you have been in contact with Bethany Crocker about us helping you out with the Sunflowers for Ukraine project being run by your Rotary club. We are very keen to help out in any way we can and would love to hear more about it, and how we can get involved.”

John went into the logistics of the project and gave Bethany and Summer 2kgs. of seeds, 1000 cards and 1000 packets.  They are going to get their classmates and others involved in filling the packets with the seeds.  We will then start to sell these in the community.

John advised the meeting that he had ordered 1000 display boxes.  So far, we have pledges for 250 and the artwork will be ready this week.

The boxes will be displayed at high traffic places such as sports clubs, RSL Clubs, supermarkets and the like.  The RC of Brisbane Waters in Gosford have asked for 100 boxes.

At the recent Wagga Wagga Sunrise meeting John gave a presentation on the project and WW Sunrise have set aside $1.000 for 100 of the boxes and several thousand cards.  They are going to leave the boxes and seeds at many different venues in Wagga.

Latest news is that Past Editor of Rotary Down Under, PDG Bob Aiken, has written an article for Rotary on the Move on our initiative.  It starts:

“Coolamon Rotary Club and Past District Governor John Glassford, (a member of the Coolamon Rotary Club), have hit on the unique concept of selling sunflower seeds to raise funds to support the Ukraine Crisis Appeal…..

You will have to read the rest when it is published.

John Glassford is pictured with his PDG classmate Susan Wakefield and Club President Garry Smith (left) during a recent visit to the Rotary Club of Lower Blue Mountains, when he handed over the first bag of Ukraine Sunflower Seeds. — Image by: Issa Shalhoub.

2.  CRC BLAST FROM THE PAST

More memories and if you have any photos of the past please send them to us, thanks.  In no particular order.

MAY IS YOUTH SERVICE MONTH

Graphics by Debbie Vance from Canada.

ROTARY CLUB OF COOLAMON Inc. 2021-22

Chartered March 3rd, 1971; Sponsoring Club Narrandera Rotary Club

President: Albert Suidgeest

President-Elect 2022-2023: Paul Weston

Secretary: John Glassford

Treasurer: Henk Hulsman

Rotary Foundation Director: Neil Munro

Membership Director: Dick Jennings

Service Projects Director: Daryl Breust

Youth Services Director: Anne Rzeszkowski