Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #17

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #17

OCTOBER IS VOCATIONAL SERVICES MONTH.

• Start a career counselling or vocational training programand invite non-Rotarian community members to attend.
  • Organise a discussion or workshop on workplace ethics and invite local non-Rotarian business leaders to attend.
  • Sponsor a career day in which club members bring young people to their places of business to inform them about career opportunities.
  • Nominate a member of your community for the District 9700 Vocational Service Excellence Award (nominations close with Peter Gissing on 31 October).

THE NEW ROTARY LOGO LAUNCHED on the 26 August 2013

MONDAY MEETING  28th. October 2013

AGM 2013.

Tonight we had our Annual General Meeting for 2013.  We had two guests Christine Lorraine and Richard Parker, a cousin of Dick Jennings.  We also had 15 members in attendance.   All round an excellent turn out for the AGM.

The AGM followed our regular meeting and we discussed several items including the Christmas push for our Shop Locally Campaign  with a marketing campaign.

President Dick Jennings sent our condolences to Sharon Reardon on the loss of her mother and the club sent flowers to Sharon.

Next Monday 4th November will be a regular meeting followed by the November board meeting.

Monday 11th November Col Paterson will be our guest speaker.

Ian Jennings had several of our members model the proposed new T shirts and business shirts for our club.

Good news from Neil Munro who is now home recovering from his recent operation, take it easy Neil!

All our members wished Garth and Marg Perkin a safe and enjoyable trip to India where Garth and Marg will be on an eye camp with Dr Alok Sharma assisting in the Darkness to Light project.

Garth Perkin in his Indian Shirt

THE AGM

We held our AGM immediately following the regular meeting and the following positions were filled for 2014-3015:

President Elect 2014-2015 Garth Perkin

President Elect Nominee 2015-2016 Wayne Lewis

Secretary Paul Weston

Treasurer Henk Hulsman

Club Administration Director Ian Jennings

Service Projects Director Wayne Lewis

Vocational Services Director Don Dyce

Membership Director Leslie Weston

Foundation Director John Glassford

International Services Director Ted Hutcheon

Youth Services Director Ian Durham

Public Relations Director Grahame Miles

Vice-President {Immediate Past President) Dick Jennings

S@A Dick Jennings and Christine Atkinson

Bulletin Editor and Web Master John Glassford and Paul Weston

Two special resolutions were passed to approve the changes to our Club Constitution and Club By-laws following the Rotary International Council On Legislation 2013 deliberations.

PP Paul Weston and Treasurer Henk Hulsman furnished their reports to be included in the annual audit and submission to the NSW Department of Fair Trade as required for our continued Incorporation.

Congratulations and thanks go to all who put their hands up to serve our club and community.

Diary Reminders

Monday 4th November regular Meeting followed by the November Board Meeting all members welcome to attend.

Saturday 9th November Rotary Club of  Cootamundra Bike Festival.

*Monday 11th November Guest Speaker Col Paterson from Coolamon on the Scarecrow Festival.

Thursday 14th November BINGO Henk Hulsman, Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Bernadette Milne.

Wednesday 27th November Music for Mates Meeting

Thursday 12th December BINGO Garth Perkin,  Miffy Collette, Ian Durham, Mark Reardon

Saturday January 25th Coolamon Street Raffle.

Thursday 13th February BINGO Dick Jennings, Rodney Jarrett, Neil Munro, Christine Atkinson

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd February PETS in Young

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Friday March 21st-Sunday March 23rd D9700 Conference in Orange.

Saturday 22nd March Music for Mates Concert in Coolamon.

*Saturday May 10th International Night in Ganmain for AFRICA’S rhinos.

Sunday 18th May D9700 Assembly in Grenfell

Saturday 24th May Red Shield Appeal Street Stall.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT RON BURTON:

Rotary International President Ron Burton visited Malcolm Elliott, of the Rotary Club of Adelaide, South Australia. Malcolm has been the driving force — until he recently retired — behind the weekly 30-minute Voice of#Rotary program on Radio RPH in Adelaide and Sydney.

The president was the interviewee for the station’s 1,000th program.

Sydney is hosting the 2014 RI Convention (#ricon14) in June. Learn more at www.riconvention.org.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

An oldie but a good one.

The Light Bulb.

A doctor of psychology was doing his normal morning rounds when he entered a patient’s room.

He found Patient #1 sitting on the floor, pretending to saw a piece of wood in half.

Patient #2 was hanging from the ceiling, by his feet.

The doctor asked patient number 1 what he was doing.

The patient replied, “Can’t you see I’m sawing this piece of wood in half?”

The doctor inquired of Patient #1 what Patient #2 was doing.

Patient #1 replied, “Oh. He’s my friend, but he’s a little crazy. He thinks he’s a lightbulb.”

The doctor looks up and notices Patient #2’s face is going all red.

The doctor asks Patient #1, “If he’s your friend, you should get him down from there before he hurts himself”

Patient #1 replies, “What? And work in the dark?”

Farmer John

Farmer John lived on a quiet rural highway. But, as time went by, the trafic slowly built up at an alarming rate. The traffic was so heavy and so fast that his chickens were being run over at a rate of three to six a day.

So one day Farmer John called the sheriff’s office and said, “You’ve got to do something about all of these people driving so fast and killing all of my chickens.”

“What do you want me to do?” asked the sheriff. “I don’t care, just do something about those crazy drivers!” So the next day he had the county workers go out and erected a sign that said:

SLOW:

SCHOOL CROSSING

Three days later Farmer John called the sheriff and said, “You’ve got to do something about these drivers. The ‘school crossing’ sign seems to make them go even faster.” So, again, the sheriff sends out the county workers and they put up a new sign:

SLOW:

CHILDREN AT PLAY

That really sped them up. So Farmer John called and called and called every day for three weeks. Finally, he asked the sheriff, “Your signs are doing no good.. Can I put up my own sign?”

The sheriff told him, “Sure thing, put up your own sign..”

He was going to let the Farmer John do just about anything in order to get him to stop calling everyday to complain.

The sheriff got no more calls from Farmer John. Three weeks later, curiosity go the best of the sheriff and he decided to give Farmer John a call. “How’s the problem with those drivers.

Did you put up your sign?” “Oh, I sure did. And not one chicken has been killed since then. I’ve got to go. I’m very busy.”
He hung up the phone.

The sheriff was really curious now and he thought to himself, “I’d better go out there and take a look at that sign… it might be something that WE could use to slow down drivers…”

So the sheriff drove out to Farmer John’s house, and his jaw dropped the moment he saw the sign. It was spray-painted on a sheet of wood:

NUDIST COLONY

Go slow and watch out for chicks!!

ROTARY INFORMATION

Last Thursday was World polio day but for Rotarians it is world Polio Day every day!

Rotary’s chief role is fundraising, advocacy, and mobilizing volunteers. Other partners in the Global Polio Eradication Initiative are the World Health Organization, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Bill & Melinda Gates FoundationUnited Nations Foundation, and UNICEF, along with world governments.

Every dollar Rotary raises (up to US$35 million a year) will be matched 2-to-1 by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for polio eradication efforts through 2018.

ONLY IN AFRICA

Moving House African Style

OUT OF AFRICA

Multi tasking shopping, baby minding mango carrier.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

This week I received this email from one of the students in Mathare that we have sponsored.

“Hello,

I believe you are doing fine I have some good and bad news this time round.

I will start with the good one: I was able to see Tracy at her school and she is doing fine it was their career day and she wants to be a Lawyer or a Teacher.

I will send pictures of her through drop box.

The bad news: My house got burnt down on Saturday at around 1pm around here houses catch fire really fast and we lost most of our stuff though we were able to recover some before the angry fire destroyed everything. We thank God nobody died in the inferno or got injured we are currently staying with my uncle who lives around.

I will also send pictures of the place we used to call home which is now burnt down to ashes.

All for now
Your friend

Quinter

{Click on the thumb nail photos below to enlarge them}.

I intend to do something to help Quinter, her mother and brother.  Tracy, her sister we sponsor at the moment to a boarding high school in Kisumu.  This is also or was Tracy’s home.

The Rotary Club of Nairobi is going to advise us on what is needed to re house Quinter and her family.

Rotary International President Ron Burton

Governor of District 9700 Geoff Tancred

Coolamon Club President  Dick Jennings

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

Register early for Sydney convention and save

Register early for the 2014 Rotary International Convention in  Sydney, Australia, 1-4 June, and pay US$100 less than the on-site  registration fee. Rotary’s annual convention is a wonderful way to experience the true internationality of Rotary, as you connect with leaders, exchange ideas, and get inspired to take action to benefit communities worldwide.

The programme Click to Enlarge:

THE INVITATION

Discover the stories, history and magic of Sydney Opera House with an incredible guided tour taking you underneath the world famous sails.

http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/whatson/soh_tour_english_2013.aspx

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

FOOT NOTE

SYDNEY ROTARY CLUB are having a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch, we should do the same!

On Tuesday 5th November, the Sydney Rotary Club will be starting off the Melbourne Cup Day celebrations with a Champagne Breakfast, a Calcutta and a Competition for the fanciest hat (male or female).

The Castlereagh Hotel will be serving a Grand Melbourne Cup Breakfast with an equine theme – Horseshoe Pastries, Flemington Fizz, and substantial cooked items to set you up for the day ahead.

This special Breakfast will be held on the 4th Floor Grand Dining Room of the Castlereagh Hotel (169 Castlereagh Street), commencing at 7:30am.  Cost for the delicious meal and drinks will be $40.00.

Please ensure you enter into the spirit of the day by dressing for the occasion – you could win one of the prizes. 

Judges for the best hats on the day, male and female, will be judged by Julie Fish and Bob Chen.

Please book online, or send an email.

Best wishes. 

Tony Benner, Communications Director,

Rotary Club of Sydney

Tel. 0407 366 140

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #16

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #16

• Start a career counselling or vocational training programand invite non-Rotarian community members to attend.
  • Organise a discussion or workshop on workplace ethics and invite local non-Rotarian business leaders to attend.
  • Sponsor a career day in which club members bring young people to their places of business to inform them about career opportunities.
  • Nominate a member of your community for the District 9700 Vocational Service Excellence Award (nominations close with Peter Gissing on 31 October).

MONDAY MEETING  21st. October 2013

This Monday our guest speaker was the Rev. Michael Perrott from Narrandera and Michael is also a member of the Narrandera Rotary Club.  There were 15 members present.  Bernadette Milne gave the vote of thanks.  President Dick Jennings reminded all present that next week we have our AGM and election of office bearers for 2014-2015.  All members are requested to attend.

Bernadette Milne and the Rev Michael Perrott.

AGM NOTICE:

Part 1 of the AGM will be to elect Directors and Officers for the Rotary year 2014-2015 as required in our Constitution and By-laws:

Article 3 Election of Directors and Officers  Section 1 – At a regular meeting one month prior to the meeting for election of officers, the presiding officer shall ask for nominations by members of the club for president-elect or president-nominee, secretary, treasurer, and up to 7 directors. The nominations may be presented by a nominating committee or by members from the floor, by either or by both as a club may determine……………
AGM Quorum (1/3rd of Financial Members constitutes a quorum)

Positions available are as follows:

President Elect 2014 -2015
President Elect Nominee 2015-2016
Secretary
Treasurer
Club Administration Director
Service Projects Director
Membership Director
Foundation Director
International Services Director
Youth Services Director
Public Relations Director
Vice-President & Immediate Past President Dick Jennings
S@A to be elected by the board of 2014-2015.
Part 2 of the AGM is to discuss and vote on the special resolutions to update our club constitution and club by-laws as required by the NSW Fair Trade Department for Incorporation.

Diary Reminders

Wednesday 23rd October Coolamon Suicide Awareness/Prevention Family Fun Day venue Coolamon Sports Club.

Monday October 28th AGM all members requested to attend.

Thursday 14th November BINGO Henk Hulsman, Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Bernadette Milne

Friday 14th March Trike Convention Catering in Wagga Wagga proceeds to Ronald McDonald House in Wagga Wagga.

Sunday June 1st-Wednesday June 4th.  SYDNEY 2014 RI Convention See promotion at the end of this bulletin.

I attended my first New Generations Conference and was gratified to see the number or Rotaractors who attended. There were 10,000 of them, and we took part in a Guinness Book of record-breaking high fives all around!

I hope my attendance sends a message to the Rotaractors that they are an important part of the #Rotary family.

I’m looking forward to the next conference in Uganda on 5 November: Learn more at:

www.facebook.com/RotaryPresident/events#!/events/408160865955025

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Tonto.

A man boarded an aircraft at London and took his seat; as he settled in

he noticed a very beautiful woman boarding the plane. He realized she was heading straight towards his seat and bingo! she took the seat right beside him.

Eager to strike up a conversation, he blurted out, ‘business trip or vacation?’  She turned, smiled enchantingly and said ‘Business. I’m going to the annual nymphomaniac convention in the United States’.

He swallowed hard, here was the most gorgeous woman he had ever seen sitting next to him, and she was going to a meeting for nymphomaniacs .  Struggling to maintain his composure, he calmly asked, ‘What’s your
business role at this convention?’

‘Lecturer,’ she responded.. ‘I use my experience to debunk some of the popular myths about sexuality.’ ‘Really’, he smiled, ‘what myths are those?’

‘Well,’ she explained, ‘ one popular myth is that African American men are the most well endowed when, in fact, it’s the Native American Indian who is most likely to possess that trait.

Another popular myth is that French men are the best lovers, when actually it is the men of Greek descent. We have also found that the best potential lovers in all categories are the Irish,’

Suddenly the woman became uncomfortable and blushed. ‘I’m sorry,’ she said, ‘I really shouldn’t be discussing this with you, I don’t even know your name.’

‘Tonto,’ the man said…. ‘Tonto Papadopoulos , but my friends call me Paddy.’

‘The Hangover’

A husband wakes up at home with a huge hangover.

He forces himself to open his eyes and the first thing he sees is a couple of aspirins and a glass of water on the side table.

He sits down and sees his clothing in front of him, all cleaned and pressed. He looks around the room and sees that it is in perfect order, spotless and clean. The rest of the house is in equally good shape.

He takes the aspirins and notices a note on the table.

“Honey, breakfast is on the table. I left early to go grocery shopping. Love You!”

He is totally shocked by the loving note. He goes to the kitchen and there is a hot breakfast and morning newspaper ready for him.

His son is eating at the table.

He asks, “Son, what happened last night?”

His son says, “Well, you came home around 3 a.m. drunk and delirious. You broke some crockery, puked in the hall and gave yourself a black eye when you stumbled into the door”.

Confused, the man asks, “So why is everything in order and so clean? Why is there breakfast on the table waiting for me? I should expect to have a big quarrel with your mom!”

His son replies, “Oh, that! Mom dragged you to the bedroom and when she tried to take your clothes and shoes off, you said, ‘Lady Leave Me Alone! I’m Married!’”

ROTARY INFORMATION

WORLD POLIO DAY OCTOBER 24th.

http://www.polioeradication.org/

Source: Donald McNeil, SMH News Review 24-25 August 2013

The global effort to eradicate Polio is facing serious set backs in two continents.

The virus is surging in Somalia and the Horn of Africa, largely free of cases for several years.  And a new outbreak has begun in a part of Pakistan that a warlord declared off-limits to vaccinators 14 months ago.

The African outbreak began in May with two cases, one in Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital and the other in the huge Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya where Somalis have fled to escape from the internal conflict.  Now there are 121 cases in the region; last year there were only 232 cases in the world

The new Pakistan outbreak is in North Waziristan, near the frontier with Afghanistan.  Before this outbreak, Pakistan had seen only 24 cases this year, about as many as it had in the same point in 2012.

Although only three children have contacted polio since the warlord ban on vaccination programs, even one case shows that the virus remains in the area and could spread.  The Pakistan outbreak is particularly frustrating, because vaccination programs had been going steadily forward towards eradication.

Dr Elias Durry, emergency coordinator for polio eradication in Pakistan for the World Health Organisation (WHO), says the equation is simple.

Where you can immunise against polio, the virus goes away.  Where you cannot immunise children, the virus gets in.

These new outbreaks may delay the recently announced $5.5 billion plan to eradicate polio by 2018.

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

John Roberson from RAWCS and the RC of Kooringal Wagga Wagga has written asking for support for the bush fire victims in NSW.

Our newest corporate arm (RABS – Rotary Australia Benevolent Society) has registered a project – No 16/2013-14 – to assist individuals and families who have lost their homes in the current New South Wales bushfires raging in the lower BlueMountains.

You can donate directly using this link:

https://donations.rawcs.com.au/Default.aspx?ProjectID=719&ReturnTo=4

or contact Graeme Davis (e) [email protected] . This is an urgent appeal and benefits will flow immediately to the disadvantaged.

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Proposed Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

Register early for the 2014 Rotary International Convention in  Sydney, Australia, 1-4 June, and pay US$100 less than the on-site  registration fee. Rotary’s annual convention is a wonderful way to experience the true internationality of Rotary, as you connect with leaders, exchange ideas, and get inspired to take action to benefit communities worldwide.

THE INVITATION

Sydney is hosting #Rotary International’s 105th annual convention 1-4 June 2014, which is expected to attract more than 18,000 Rotary club members from more than 150 countries while injecting an estimated AUD 60.5 million into the local economy.

NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell said Rotary clubs and volunteers around the world provide outstanding service to the community and Sydney is proud to host the 2014 Rotary International Convention.

“Sydney is the major events capital of the Asia Pacific and this event provides us with another fantastic opportunity to showcase our harbor city to the thousands of Rotary delegates travelling here from around the world.”

Register and learn more at www.riconvention.org(#ricon14)

Two hours north of Sydney, you will find the Hunter Valley, famous for its wineries and wine tours. Visitors can expand their skills in cooking and wine classes, relax with a round of golf or pamper yourself for the day at one of the spas located in the region. There is plenty for the kids to enjoy too, with horse riding, cycling, or a trip to the Hunter Valley Zoo.

HUNTER VALLEY TOURS

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

FOOT NOTE

ROTI October bread basket a great read:

OCTOBER ROTI

There are many inspiring stories in this month’s Bread Basket!

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #15

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #15

PP BILL INNES MPHF 1934-2013

Above: Bill doing what he did best looking after the money!

“This week our Scottish friend and past president of our club Bill Innes passed away.   Bill was a Charter Member of the Coolamon Rotary Club.  Of late Bill was not in the best of health and we have missed his presence at our meetings.  Always a man with conviction and a wicked sense of humour.

Bill served the club well and he was always one of the first to put his hand up if anything needed doing within our community.

Bill joined Coolamon Rotary as a charter member on the 15th November 1971 and was awarded his Paul Harris Fellow in September 1988.   In June 2008 Bill was awarded a Paul Harris Fellow Sapphire pin for his amazing work with Legacy in Wagga Wagga.  Apart from his work in Rotary Bill had been a volunteer with Legacy since 2002.  Bill was responsible for the welfare of 18 War Widows and tended to their needs and welfare. Bill was the second highest fund raiser for Legacy in the Riverina from Wagga to Deniliquin, and was highly regarded by the staff at Legacy House in Wagga Wagga.

Bill was a great mentor for me personally and I will miss him very much.”

PP John Glassford

“Bill was so dedicated to the Rotary cause & supported many of its programs. One of my significant memories was his work at the early BINGO where he was so ‘adored’ by most of the players of those times and was present at most of the monthly Bingo events.  He was also very passionate in his fund-raising from Walk-a-thons that he organised around our local area.”

PP Grahame Miles.

“Bill lived & breathed Rotary, rarely missing a meeting.

It was in the Club’s second year that it was decided to run an Art Union & source donations to built two Aged Persons Units in Coolamon.  Although, thought to be a massive undertaking for a fledgling Club, the funds were raised, land donated by the Patterson family and the Coolamon Council organized building of the units.

Bill was elected as Club President 1976-77.   During his year he inducted ten new members.  Collected for the National Heart Appeal and did the first Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal. Now 36 years later the club still collects for this cause.

During that year, the Club arranged to send five young people to Sydney for a weeks holiday. Which was a completely new experience for our country kids.  In return, five Sydney children visited Coolamon for a week.

The plane trip was an added experience.

The Club’s first Overseas  Exchange student was sent to Canada.   Bill was always one for doing things for the kids.

In 1984, while Community Service Director of the Club, he researched and conducted the first Blue Light Disco for the Shire’s young people. This disco was held bi- monthly and continued for over 20 years. Any surplus funds raised through the Disco was put aside and utilized on the young people of the district.

Also during this year, he was a driving force in  compiling a Large Print Community Telephone book, for the area.

Conducted a Walk-a-thon to Raise sufficient funds to air-condition the Coolamon Pre-school.

During that year, Bill recruited the help of school children to walk the side of all Coolamon’s main access roads, picking up rubbish discarded by travelers. Over ten tons of rubbish was the result.

While able, Bill and Joan attended every District Conference.

As a Rotarian, Bill Innes instigated a lot and achieved a great deal. He will be sadly missed for his community involvement.”

PP Henk Hulsman.

Above: Bill left speechless on receiving his PHF Sapphire Pin with Joan Innes.

For Bill:

O flower of Scotland
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against him
Proud Edward’s army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

The hills are bare now
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O’er land that is lost now
Which those so dearly held
And stood against him
Proud Edward’s army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

Those days are passed now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again
That stood against him
Proud Edward’s army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

Bill will be laid to rest on Thursday 17th October at the Wagga Wagga Crematorium starting at 1.00 pm.  All Rotarians are invited to attend and support Joan and the family, please wear your dinner badge.

MONDAY MEETING  14th. October 2013

We had a regular meeting followed by our monthly board meeting.  President Dick Jennings spoke on the passing of PP Bill Innes and invited all members to attend his funeral in Wagga on Thursday at 1 pm and to please wear your dinner badges.  Dick also thanked all those members who volunteered at the Scarecrow Festival and the Hospital fete.

1.  Scarecrow Festival

President Dick Jennings presenting the prizes to the “live” scarecrow winners.

The pipes and drums playing for the scarecrows in Coolamon.

Garth Perkin, Don Dyce and Paul Weston hard at work serving the hungry scarecrows.

Former Federal member for Riverina Kay Hull opening the Festival.

2.  Coolamon & Ganmain Hospital Fete

Congrats to the Coolamon& Ganmain hospital auxiliary on another fun fete! Thanks to all who came down to the Ganmain park to support this great cause! The Clydesdale wagon rides with Mr Jones were the crowd favourite!!!!

Thanks go to Ian Durham, Garth Perkin, Don Dyce, Wayne Lewis, Miffy Collette and Henk Hulsman.

Diary Reminders

Saturday 19th October Street Raffle in Coolamon.

Saturday 19th October Coolamon Rodeo Volunteers: (Garth, Dick, Leslie and Paul).

Monday 21st October:  Celebrity cook, author and “Granny Skills” entrepreneur Rebecca Sullivan is visiting Ganmain Hall on Monday October 21st as part of the Taste Riverina Food Festival. We would love you and your friends to join us from 9:30 am-12 noon for Rebecca’s presentation and book signing and, to browse some interesting local trade stalls. This is an Advance Ganmain fundraiser with entry $10 pre-paid at the Ganmain Craft Cottage or $15 on the day. For details visit: http://www.coolamonshire.com.au/events/event-calendar/celebrity-guest-foodie-in-ganmain.aspx

Monday 21st October Guest Speaker Rev Mike Perrott (a member of the Rotary Club of Narrandera).

Wednesday 23rd October Coolamon Suicide Awareness/Prevention Family Fun Day venue Coolamon Sports Club.

Thursday 14th November BINGO Henk Hulsman, Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Bernadette Milne

Rotary International President Ron Burton attended theClinton Global Initiative in New York City from 23 to 26 September where he met past U.S. President Bill Clinton. The event brought together business leaders and humanitarians from all over the world to talk about innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing problems.

Learn more about the event at http://www.clintonglobalinitiative.org/aboutus/

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Dead Duck

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird’s chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and sadly said, “I’m sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has passed away.” The distressed woman wailed, “Are you sure?” “Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead,” replied the vet.. “How can you be so sure?” she protested. “I mean you haven’t done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something.”

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room. He returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck’s owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head. The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out of the room.

A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room. The vet looked at the woman and said, “I’m sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck.”

The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.. The duck’s owner, still in shock, took the bill. “$150!” she cried, “$150 just to tell me my duck is dead!” The vet shrugged, “I’m sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill would have been $20, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it’s now $150.”

ROTARY INFORMATION

MEETINGS ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS

Article 9  Attendance

Section 1 General Provisions. Each member should attend this club’s regular meetings, or satellite club’s regular meetings if provided in the bylaws, and engage in this club’s service projects, other events and activities. A member shall be counted as attending a regular meeting if the member is present for at least 60 percent of the meeting, or is present and is called away unexpectedly and subsequently produces evidence to the satisfaction of the board that such action was reasonable, or makes up for an absence in any of the following ways:

(a)  14 Days Before or After the Meeting. If, within fourteen (14) days before or after the regular time for that meeting, the member

(1)  attends at least 60 percent of the regular meeting of another club, of a satellite club meeting of another club, or of a provisional club; or

AND SO ON:

One of the most enjoyable parts of being a Rotarian is the fact that there are over 34,000 Rotary Clubs in the world and wherever you go there is a Rotary Club nearby where you will always be welcome to join in their meetings.

This week  I am writing this from Surfers Paradise and made up a meeting at the Rotary Club of Surfers Paradise:

We had an excellent speaker talking about the Gold Coast Light Rail that will be operational in June 2014.  Not all the members present thought that this development should have gone ahead.

I was made very welcome by President Kirk Mason and we exchanged our club banners.

Click on the thumb nails for a larger photo.

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

To honour the memory of PP Bill Innes please support Legacy Australia:

Legacy Australia 90 Years

2013 represents a special year for Legacy, as we celebrate their 90th Anniversary.

Join us as we celebrate and reconnect!

This anniversary is an opportunity for the Legacy ‘family’ to reconnect, sharing stories and insights and making new friends and to celebrate 90 great years.

There are many ways you can join us as we celebrate 90 years of Legacy.

ATTEND A REUNION. There are events happening all around the country. Click here to find out more and to register to attend your local event.

SHARE YOUR STORY. Click here to submit your Legacy story.

BUY A COMMEMORATIVE MEDALLION. Click here to purchase Legacy 90th Anniversary Commemorative Coins and Medallions.

Websites of Interest

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

THE INVITATION

Sydney is hosting #Rotary International’s 105th annual convention 1-4 June 2014, which is expected to attract more than 18,000 Rotary club members from more than 150 countries while injecting an estimated AUD 60.5 million into the local economy.

NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell said Rotary clubs and volunteers around the world provide outstanding service to the community and Sydney is proud to host the 2014 Rotary International Convention.

“Sydney is the major events capital of the Asia Pacific and this event provides us with another fantastic opportunity to showcase our harbor city to the thousands of Rotary delegates travelling here from around the world.”

Register and learn more at www.riconvention.org(#ricon14)

In the photo: Premier Barry O’Farrell, RI President Ron Burton and his wife, Jetta.

FOOT NOTE

The week has been quiet on ROTI however Hari Ratan, a valued member of ROTI,  from India posted some amazing photos of his recent journey to the Himalayas:

The journey in photos below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratan/sets/72157629976821042/

Rotary to bring the world to Sydney

News Release: Rotary to bring the world to Sydney

#Sydney to host #Rotary International’s 105th annual convention 1-4 June 2014, which is expected to attract more than 18,000 Rotary club members from over 150 countries while injecting an estimated AUD 60.5 million into the local economy.

Read full story > http://tinyurl.com/kk7r8rb

Image (left to right): NSW Premier, Barry O’Farrell, Jetta Burton, Rotary International President, Ron Burton.

Photograph by Mark Wallace

cc: Rotary International Rotary International President 2014 Rotary International Convention Sydney #Rotary End Polio Now

‘Granny Skills’ movement Rebecca Sullivan in Ganmain

Dear Friends,

The Ganmain community are lucky to be hosting celebrity cook, author and entrepreneur of the ‘Granny Skills’ movement Rebecca Sullivan at a morning tea event as part of the Taste Riverina Food Festival.

Rebecca will be appearing at the historic Ganmain Hall, in Ford St (the main street of Ganmain), on Monday 21st October as a guest speaker and we would like to invite you to join us!
Your group can enjoy a scrumptious morning tea, listen to Rebecca’s presentation and browse a few food and “Granny Skills” exhibitions…. all in all we think it makes for a lovely day trip!
You can find more about Rebecca Sullivan in the attached bio plus here http://dirtygirlkitchen.com/

You can find out more about the Taste Riverina Food Festival here http://www.tasteriverina.com.au/

Doors open at 9:30am and tickets are $10 pre-paid or $15 at the door. If you would like to make a group booking please give me a call on 0418 114 750 or reply to this email and I can arrange your $10 pre-booked tickets for you.
We hope some of you can join us!
Kind regards,
Bron Hatty

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #14

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #14

SEPTEMBER IS NEW GENERATIONS MONTH.

MONDAY MEETING  30th. SEPTEMBER 2013

District Governor Geoff Tancred and his wife Betty Tancred along with Assistant Governor Alan Sharp  and 11 members attended with 9 guests including Maree Jennings, Marilyn Jennings, Susan Glassford, Helen Lewis, Lorraine and John Companion.

Tonight we had our annual get together with our District Governor Geoff Tancred and Bettye Tancred.

Geoff joined the Orange Calare Rotary in 1986 and was President 1989-1990.

He is a Paul Harris Fellow with two sapphire pins.  Geoff was District Treasurer for 18 years and 20 years District Insurance Officer and is currently District Public   Officer. In 2008 Geoff was named District 9700’s “Rotarian of the Year”.

In 1991, Geoff was a member of a RAWCS volunteer team building Teacher Housing at Brahman Mission in Papua New Guinea. Geoff also spent three months in 2008 working in Central China on a poverty alleviation program for peasant farmers.

Geoff has worked in the Insurance Industry for 49 years. He has been self employed as an Insurance Agent since 1985. He and Bettye were also Principals of a Tax Accounting Practice.  Apart from Rotary, Geoff supported the Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal for 11 years, five years as its Committee Chairman. He is a Past President of the Australian Freshwater Fishermen’s Assembly, a former national freshwater fishing lobby group.

Bettye has had a career in finance being one of the first computer examiners with the Bank of New South Wales.  Bettye then worked for 23 years in high school administration and finance before joining Geoff as “director of first impressions” in their Insurance and Tax Accounting Businesses.

Geoff & Bettye have three daughters and eight grandchildren.  Geoff’s leisure time is spent fly fishing for trout whilst Bettye enjoys fine arts and gardening.

Bettye Tancred spoke on her support for ROMAC and we bought tickets in the ROMAC raffle.

Geoff then spoke on many different and interesting avenues that we as Rotarians can become involved in.  Starting with our District 9700 Conference in March 2014 held in Orange.  Geoff also invited us all to attend the Rotary International Convention in Sydney next June.  Geoff also encouraged us all to contribute to our Foundation and Polio Plus.

John Glassford was recognised for his 10 years service as a Rotarian with a 100% attendance record.

Come and join us for a weekend of fun at the 9700 Annual Conference in Orange.  Meet old friends and new.   Hear inspirational speakers.   Learn about Rotary programs and achievements.  Share experiences of Rotary in action in the clubs of our district.   Great accommodation choices.   Excellent conference facilities.  We look forward to welcoming you to our City of Orange which will be dressed in its best Autumn colours for your arrival.

Diary Reminders

Sunday 6th October Coolamon Scarecrow Festival.

Monday 7th October NO Meeting Labour Day Weekend.

Thursday 10th October BINGO:   Ian Jennings, John Glassford, Grahame Miles, Ted Hutcheon

Saturday 12th October Coolamon and Ganmain Hospital Fete IN Ganmain.

Monday 14th October Regular Meeting followed by a Board Meeting.

Saturday 19th October Street Raffle in Coolamon.

Ron Burton chats with Interactors during a pancake breakfast service project at Norman High School, in Norman, OK, USA.

Rotary International President Ron Burton is hosting a series of Presidential New Generations Conferences to bring together emerging young leaders and Rotary members from around the world. The first conference will be held 5-6 October in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.

Attendees will learn how Rotary is empowering the next generation of leaders to take action for change. Conference highlights include:

• Notable speakers, including RI President Burton
  • A community service project
  • Opportunities to exchange ideas for engaging young leaders and attracting new members

Clubs are encouraged to hold local conferences to connect with young professionals in their communities.

Registration is open for the first two conferences. For more information, visit President Burton’s Facebook events page or the event page for each conference:

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India 5-6 October

Kampala, Uganda 5-6 November

Buenos Aires, Argentina 15 March

San Francisco Bay Area, USA 28-30 March

Birmingham, West Midlands, England 14 April

Rotary News

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Husband to wife :- Today is a fine day.

Next day he says :- Today is a fine day.

Again next day, he says same thing – Today
is a fine day.

Finally after a week, the wife can’t take it
and asks her husband :-

Since last one week, you are saying this
‘Today is a fine day’. I am fed up. What’s
the matter?

Husband :- Last week when we had an
argument, you said,”I will leave you one
fine day.” I was just trying to remind you

DEVIL

Friendship

Friendship among women:
A woman doesn’t come home at night. The next day she tells her husband she slept over at a friends’ house. The man calls his wife’s 10 best friends. None of them know about it.

Friendship among men:
A man doesn’t come home at night. The next day he tells his wife he slept over at a friends’ house. The woman calls her husbands’ 10 best friends. 8 of them say he did sleep over and 2 claim he’s still there.

Moral of the story, “friendship among men is too good, but at the same time it is too dangerous too.”

DEVIL

ROTARY INFORMATION

YOUNG PROFESSIONALS BRING THEIR VISION OF ROTARY TO THE TABLE

Evan Burrell, a member of the Rotary E-Club of Greater Sydney, New South Wales, Australia participated in Rotaract, RYLA, and Rotary’s Group Study Exchange.

How will you make room for the next generation of young professionals and volunteers in your clubs? We asked Rotaractors and young Rotarians to weigh in on how it should work and what it will take to turn today’s young leaders into tomorrow’s Rotary members.

Here’s an excerpt from the roundtable discussion.

What should older Rotary members understand about young people?

Alyssa Gapske, 22, Rotaract Club of Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA: A major difference is the way we connect. The greatest advantage of social media is that it allows us not only to share meeting and project details but also to communicate with clubs around the world. As a moderator of my club’s Facebook page, I see messages every week from clubs hoping to work with us, or community members interested in attending meetings or joining our club.

Evan Burrell, 32, Rotary E-Club of Greater Sydney, New South Wales, Australia; past Rotaractor, RYLA participant, and GSE team member: Our spirit of community service is no different from that of older generations; we just have different methods. We’re results-driven, we move quickly — some might think too quickly. We want to feel that our work has purpose when we participate in something, and we get frustrated when our ideas aren’t considered just because they’re unfamiliar.

Read the full story here.

ONLY IN AFRICA

OUT OF AFRICA

Breakfast in bed? Terrified man finds an 8ft crocodile hidden under his bed after it spent entire night just inches from where he slept.

Story here.

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Hat Day is coming! Friday Oct 11 is the official date.

So what is it all about?

Hat Day is the fundraising event by Australian Rotary Health  to support research into Mental Health. We are trying to pinpoint the causes of mental health issues, and of course are looking at ways that best support those with mental health problems so they can lead normal, fruitful lives.

It is a very important issue. Health professionals tell us that one person in five will be a sufferer during their lifespan. This causes great strain on marriages, workplace environments and families. Depression often leads to tragic events.

We can and need to do something about this, and this is where Research comes in. The more we know, the more information we can gather, the better the chance to change the nature of this problem.

Your Australian Rotary Health is leading the way.

How can you be part of this?

We are asking each club to hold a Hat Day event.  Your club has an information kit that was sent out a little while ago.
Some clubs are holding a special fund raiser, such as a trivia night.
Others are wearing funny hats and doing a bucket drop on the busy shopping nights.
The local Milliners have swung in behind some clubs and are holding Hat Day parades.
Maybe you could have a Silly Hat competition at your meeting that week and charge each member $5 for entering or not entering.
The list of possibilities is endless.

On a business level, why not have a Hat Day at work, just as we participate in the “Worlds Biggest Morning Tea” for Cancer. It is a fun thing to do and it will generate interest in the community as well as brighten up the work week.

What ever you decide, we do ask that you get behind your club in the spirit of the event and help us help some of these sufferers.

Keep well,

PDG John Egan
Member of Board ARH

HAT DAY

Websites of Interest

REGISTER NOW FOR SYDNEY

THE BILLABONG

The traditional House of Friendship has been renamed The Billabong for Sydney 2014.  A Billabong is an aboriginal name for a waterhole around which meetings would often be held.  The 2014 Billabong will be located in the grounds of the Sydney Showground, part of Sydney Olympic Park at Homebush. Located in The Dome (a spectacular timber structure and the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere) and Exhibition Halls 2, 3 and 4.  The Billabong will have over 14,000 square metres of display space, and will be the place to meet old and new acquaintances. See exhibits or displays of Rotary work from all over the world, discuss projects and learn of the many opportunities provided to Rotarians.

Approximately one half of the Billabong will be dedicated to the work of Rotary International and Rotary clubs where you can pick up great ideas for new projects for your club and learn of the assistance Rotary International can provide to support this work.  The other half of the Billabong will illustrate more great Rotary work and show many aspects of Australia and its Rotary clubs.

The Billabong will also feature examples of our unique Australian fauna and you will be able to shop for great Rotary jewellery, clothing and souvenirs. There will also be the opportunity to sample a variety of excellent Australian wines.

Rest your tired feet and enjoy a wide choice of food and great Australian entertainment.

The Billabong will be where the world of Rotary International comes together!

If you are interested in participating in The Billabong as an Exhibitor or Sponsor please contact PDG Harold Sharp * as soon as possible for information on opportunities.

* Go to Contact Us at top right, select Convention Sponsorship / Exhibition and enter your details and send us your email.

FOOT NOTE

ROTI Discussion below:

http://www.eturbonews.com/38156/zimbabwe-massacre-elephants-poisoned-cyanide

Zimbabwe Massacre: Elephants poisoned with cyanide

By Gill Staden, eTN Africa | Sep 22, 2013

There has been so much in the news during the week about the death of at least 69 elephants in Hwange National Park after being poisoned with cyanide. The cyanide had been mixed with salt and placed near a waterhole.  The poachers have been arrested and are now in cells awaiting trial. According to one report they were given the cyanide by a South African businessman.

A big delegation of Ministers from the Zimbabwe government went to take a look at the damage. They all agreed that, if this type of incident is to be stopped, the villagers living around the park have to benefit from it. They also called for stiffer penalties for poachers.

A South African businessman is believed to be behind the Hwange elephant poisonings. …

Police named him only as Ishmael and that he used a Chivu farmer and ivory buyer Farai Chitsa to distribute stocks of cyanide to local people in Pelandaba and Pumula areas of Tsholotsho. Chitsa was arrested when his truck became stuck in sands while collecting tusks from poachers. Two brothers – Sipho and Misheck Mafu – have also been arrested and have provided police and wildlife investigators with wide-ranging information.

Police revealed that the poachers would mix up a combination of cyanide, salt and water. This would then be poured onto salt licks at watering holes known to be frequented by elephants. At other watering holes the poachers would dig holes and place containers containing the deadly mixture into the holes.

The technique was so effective at killing elephants that when the poachers took police to the sites that had been contaminated there were bodies of elephants with small tusks still intact because it wasn’t worth the effort to take the tusks, The poachers were being paid as little as $700 for 9 tusks.

It was not just elephants that were killed by the cyanide but a wide range of other animals carcasses were found including buffalo, lions, vultures and jackals. …

Police Assistant Commissioner Micheck Mabunda is also calling for the establishment of aircraft patrols in the Hwange National Park. He notes that poachers in neighbouring Botswana will quickly disperse when their aircraft patrol flies overhead. However when those poachers enter Zimbabwe there is no threat of being discovered. He suggests that Pandematenga Border Post would be an ideal location to base an air based patrol from.

Ashok M

Cotonou Centre

BENIN  D9102

Ashok R. Mirchandani, Consul Gen. Hon.de l’Inde

They should have placed the same salt in the poachers prison food! I would have been pleased to hand it to them.

Philip Merritt

Poachers should be shot on sight!

Chris Stubbs

Major Donor, Past District GSE Chair
Paul Harris Fellow +8, DSA, MSA
Rotary District 6980, Central Florida

I’m with you on this Chris – Poachers should be shot. On the other hand isn’t that too kind? Maybe they should be given cyanide – makes for a more painful death.

Ivan M Henry

RC Metro Roxas, D3850

Capiz, Philippines

FOOT NOTE:

AMAZING and impressive how quickly Zimbabwe caught, processed and sentenced these ‘cyanide poachers’ – ( less than a month ) – BRAVO ZIMBABWE !
”A Zimbabwe court on Wednesday sentenced three poachers to at least 15 years in prison each for poisoning and killing 81 elephants, state radio reported.
A provincial magistrate sentenced 25-year-old Diyane Tshuma to 16 years in prison for poisoning elephants with cyanide at in Hwange National Park, in the west of Zimbabwe, Spot FM reported.
His co-accused Robert Maphosa, 42, and Thabani Zondo, 24, were each sentenced to 15 years.”

The BREAD BASKET