Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #42

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #42

LAST BULLETIN FOR 2014-2015

JUNE IS ROTARY FELLOWSHIP MONTH

During June, Rotarians celebrate the fellowship of Rotary. Family and friends of Rotarians, as well as Rotarians, focus on their relationships. There are many opportunities to join Rotary Fellowships around the world which cater to different interests.  Join a Fellowship Today!

logopolicy

Welcome to BREW Fellowship

The purpose of this fellowship is to foster and encourage fellowship between and among Rotarians of all nations who have a love for Beer and through this fellowship support international projects of the Rotary Foundation.

MEETING MONDAY JUNE 29th. 2015

COOLAMON’S 44th CHANGE OVER DINNER

We had our 44th Change Over dinner last night and well attended with 88 people in all.  Including;

The Hon Michael McCormack Federal member of parliament for the Riverina

Mayor Councilor John Seymour and Margaret Seymour for the Coolamon Shire

District Governor’s Representative PDG Fred Loneragan and Rae Loneragan.

District Governor Elect Gary Roberts and Marilyn Roberts.

Assistant Governor Alan Sharp and Nona Sharp

The following Rotary Clubs were represented:

Wagga Wagga Kooringal, Wagga Wagga Sunrise, Junee, Wagga Wagga Murrumbidgee, Lockhart and Wollundry.

Coolamon Lions Club.

Music by Gabrielle and Olivia.

We welcome President Wayne Lewis as our latest President to lead this great club.

Here are some photos from the night including the presentation of a Paul Harris Fellow to Past President Garth Perkin, congratulations Garth and of course to Marg.

Many thanks to all of those who helped make the night a huge success.

Change Over N ights 2015-2016 012 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 026 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 035 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 039 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 044 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 046 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 051 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 059 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 066 Change Over N ights 2015-2016 080

President Wayne Lewis 2015-2016

Diary Reminders

Monday July 6th President Wayne Lewis 1st Meeting.*Monday, 

Thursday July 9th BINGO: Roster Paul Weston Capt., Steve Exton, Rod Jarrett and Leslie Weston. 

Friday July 18th Up2Date Art Exhibition Opening Night Details Follow.

Postcard Postcard2

*Partners and Guests Night.

Apologies for Monday meetings call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The answer to the puzzle last week was 87 did you get it right?

Rolls in Cape Tiown
 WHY?
 The Fridge

One morning at a doctor ‘s clinic a well built man arrives complaining of severe
back pain, the doctor examines him and asks OK what happened to your
back?

The patient replies “you know that I… work as a bouncer for a local night club? This morning I got home to my apartment early and heard a noise in my bedroom. On entering I knew someone had been with my wife and the balcony door was open. I rushed out the balcony door and did not find anyone.
As I looked down from the balcony I saw a man running out and he was dressing himself.
I grabbed the fridge and threw it at him.  That’s how I strained my back”The 2nd patient arrives looking as if he has been in a car wreck.
The doctor said “My previous patient looked bad, but you look terrible. What the hell happened to you?”
He replied, “You know I have been unemployed for a while now. Today was the first day at my new job. I forgot to set my alarm and was running late. I was running out of the building, getting dressed at the same time, and you wont believe it but I was hit by a fridge.”Then the 3rd patient arrives;
He even looks worse than the other two patients do and shivering like a reed.
The doctor is now shocked.
Again asks, “What the hell happened to you…..!!?””Well, it started like this…. I was sitting in my neighbor’s fridge”
 Pencil

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT GARY HUANG

President Gary Huang signs off with a series of videos of his year visiting many many countries.  Here is the visit to India.

Gary India

Gary in India 2

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang and District 3230 Governor I.S.A.K. Nazar (left) are presented with a certificate from Guinness World Records for the new record of the largest human national flag.

India Creates History Guinness World Record Achieved at Chennai

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang has chosen 13 of his favorite Rotary Days videos, which were presented during the closing plenary of the convention in São Paulo. You can view all of the videos here:

http://ow.ly/Om8Kb ‪#‎RotaryDays‬

INTRODUCING THE INCOMING RI PRESIDENT:

RIPE Ravi Ravindran from the RC Of Colombo Sri Lanka.

Ravi 01

Rotary and Be a Gift to the World

DISTRICT GOVERNOR DAVID KENNEDY D 9700

DG David Kennedy 2014 003
Thank you DG David for your service in the past Rotary year as our Governor.
Our club is going from strength to strength with our membership, we have lit up Coolamon and surrounds and our future looks good.
Thank you also for your support of our joint club project, The Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day Climb, with Wagga Wagga Sunrise.
Thank you also for helping us establish RAGES and we have work to do with this Action Group.
All our members wish you well in Rotary and we look forward to seeing you at our club again one day.
INTRODUCING DG GARY ROBERTS AND MARILYN ROBERTS.
Gary Ravi and Marilyn
Gift Wall
 My Gift Wall in my Rotary office at home.
Thanks to all the great ideas from District Changeover. Gary

ROTARY INFORMATION

EARLY CANCER DETECTION IS SAVING LIVES IN SRI LANKA

Cancer_Center_07

Susan Jackson (center), of the Rotary Club of Birmingham, Alabama, USA, greets staff at the Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Centre. It’s the only national facility dedicated to the detection and prevention of cancer.
Photo Credit: Rotary International/Alyce Henson
More than 20,000 new cases of cancer are diagnosed every year in Sri Lanka, and many of them prove fatal. The Rotary Club of Colombo, Sri Lanka, set out 10 years ago to save some of those lives by establishing the Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Centre.

In partnership with the National Cancer Control Programme and the Ministry of Health, the center in Colombo has screened more than 35,000 patients, mostly low-income, and detected more than 7,500 cases of abnormalities that required further investigation. The Rotary Club of Birmingham, Alabama, USA, donated a mammography and ultrasound scanner to the center’s breast cancer screening facility.

The Colombo Rotary club is seeking to open early detection clinics in other easily accessible locations throughout Sri Lanka.

Learn more about

ONLY IN AFRICA

Donkey Rover

FOOTNOTE

rooster_featherduster-650x272

THANKS GARTH ONCE A ROOSTER NOW A FEATHER DUSTER BUT STILL ALIVE!

rooster

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

Elephants are worth 76 times more alive than dead

310 Nbi

Africa’s elephants are under siege. Driven by foreign demand for ivory, poachers are killing these iconic animals faster than they can reproduce. More than 120,000 African elephants were poached from 2010 to 2013, and on average, one is now killed every 15 minutes somewhere across the continent.
The motivation for this carnage is the high price of ivory: A pair of elephant tusks can bring in about $21,000 on the black market. But according to a new report by the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust’s iWorry campaign, every living elephant can generate $1.6 million for its local economy by attracting eco-tourists. In other words, a live elephant is worth 76 times more than a dead one.

Read more:

RAG-EndangeredSpecies_Standard logo (1)

RAGES WEB SITE

PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME 02 6927 6027.

Bulletin Editor and Web Site:  John Glassford

Yours in Rotary John Glassford Chair 2014 -2015

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species
Don’t  forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Rotary International President Gary Huang

Governor of District 9700 David Kennedy

Coolamon Club President  Garth Perkin

Coolamon Club Secretary Paul Weston

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

Mount Kenya 2015 Web Site incorporating the ORK: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #41

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #41

During June, Rotarians celebrate the fellowship of Rotary. Family and friends of Rotarians, as well as Rotarians, focus on their relationships. There are many opportunities to join Rotary Fellowships around the world which cater to different interests.  Join a Fellowship Today!

International Fellowship of Cricketing Rotarians

Fellowship members have just returned from a 3 week tour of England and Scotland where they played 7 games of cricket against Rotary teams. The group won 6 and retained the “Ashes” at the test match played at Bourne in Lincolnshire. A DVD of photos taken on the tour and further information can be obtained from Bob Brigden (Vice-President of the Australian Fellowship) of the Norwood Rotary Club. Ph (08) 8332 0842(08) 8332 0842 (or just email [email protected])

Cricket1

International Fellowship of Cricketing Rotarians

MEETING MONDAY JUNE 22nd. 2015

Garth June 22
President Garth Perkin’s last meeting.
Barney June 22
Dr Barney Dalgarno and Ted Hutcheon
 Meeting 22 June
 Dick Jennings holds a great fine session.
We had our last meeting for the 2014-2015 Rotary year.  A good roll up of 16 members two guests and our guest speaker Dr Barney Dalgarno.  Barney is a former member of our club and spoke on the NBN Internet connections that are currently available in our area.
Barney went onto explain in great detail the options available to us in the Coolamon area.  It seems that the fastest that we will get will be 25 mega bits per second via wireless.  In effect this will be around 12 mbs or 3 times faster than the current ADSL broad band.
Ted Hutcheon presented Barney with a kangaroo money pouch in his thanks to Barney.
Neil Munro reminded us that the following are on bingo roster for July 9th.  Capt Paul Weston, Steve Exton, Rod Jarrett and Leslie Weston.
All our members wish to thank President Garth Perkin for his year as our President.  We did much, made a difference and kicked some goals.  the club is getting stronger and we look forward to working with our incoming President Wayne Lewis.
Next Monday Night is our change over dinner 6.30 for 7.00 pm.  Around 80 guests are expected and some of us will be at the Club from 3.00 pm on Monday afternoon to set up the venue.

Diary Reminders

*Monday, June 29th.  Annual Change Over Dinner

Monday July 6th President Wayne Lewis 1st Meeting.

Thursday July 9th BINGO: Roster Paul Weston Capt., Steve Exton, Rod Jarrett and Leslie Weston. 

Postcard Postcard2

Apologies for Monday meetings call Ian Jennings on 0428 492 157  BY FRIDAY 12.00 pm.

CLUB CHANGE OVER DATES:

RC Henty-24th June Henty Civic Centre, 6.30-7.15 p.m. $30

RC Grenfell-24th June Golf Club, 6.30-7.00 p.m. $25

RC Wagga Wagga-Thursday, 25th June Country Club, 6.-6.30 p.m.$40/pp

District Changeover-Saturday 27th June WW RSL Club, 6.30-7.00 p.m. $35

RC Junee Sunday 28th June at the EX Services Club Lunch Time 12.00 for 12.30 pm.

RC Coolamon-29th June Coolamon Sport & Rec Club, 6.30-7.00 p.m. $30

RC WW Sunrise-30th June Elements at the Garden, 6.00-6.30 p.m. $45

RC Wollundry 30th June Commercial Club Wagga Wagga 6.30 pm

RC Narrandera 1st July Narrandera Golf Club 6.30 pm $35

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Irish
These workmen are installing cast-iron bollards to stop nurses from parking on the pavement outside the Royal Hospital in Belfast. They are cleaning up at the end of the day.Can spot why they’re not going home?

A man and his wife are dining at a table in a plush restaurant,

and the husband keeps staring at a drunken lady swigging her drink as she sits alone at a nearby table.
The wife asks, “Do you know her?”

“Yes,” sighs the husband, “She’s my ex-girlfriend. I understand she took to drinking right after we split up seven years ago, and I hear she hasn’t been sober since.”

“My God!” says the wife, “Who would think a person could go on celebrating that long?”

Music

Good bye Gary

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang has chosen 13 of his favorite Rotary Days videos, which were presented during the closing plenary of the convention in São Paulo. You can view all of the videos here:

http://ow.ly/Om8Kb

INTRODUCING THE INCOMING RI PRESIDENT:

RIPE Ravi Ravindran from the RC Of Colombo Sri Lanka.

RIPE Ravi

Rotary and Be a Gift to the World

NEPAL
Recognition for our District from Nepal.

We have been presented with this Certificate of Appreciation by the District Education Officer, Ganesh Dhakal to acknowledge to outstanding work being done in the Dhading region of Nepal.

Mary Brell and her team have also been formally recognised for their efforts to date. Well done all.

ROTARY INFORMATION

Feature----Polish-Learning-Center

Anna Wieczorek, a member of the Rotary Club of Warsaw City, teaches English to elementary school students.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Anna Wieczorek.
Before the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, Russian was the predominant second language offered in Polish schools, leaving tens of thousands of Polish emigrants without the English skills they needed.

That has changed over the last 25 years. English proficiency drastically improved after the government reformed its education system in 1991. The country overhauled its teaching curriculum and materials and introduced English as the primary foreign language. As of 2013, Poland ranks 8th in the world in English proficiency.

However, one segment of the population isn’t reaping the benefits of the improved curriculum. Thousands of students in poor rural villages attend schools that don’t have the adequate resources or well trained personnel to properly teach English, putting them at a disadvantage in today’s global economy and labor market, says Anna Wieczorek, a Rotary Club of Warszawa City member and author of Poland’s English curriculum for grades 1-3.

FULL STORY HERE.

ONLY IN AFRICA

Sand

MOUNT KENYA 2015 ANZAC DAY CLIMB

We met this young man who was one of the two cooks on the climb, Anthony Mwoka.  Anthony wants to go to College to do agriculture.  He will need a sponsor and funds.  We will have a meeting of the Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day team to conduct a post mortem.  We will consider Anthony’s request as we did for one of the cooks on the Mountains of the Moon 2011 climb.  Possiano has now graduated in business management.

Anthony

Anthony Mwoka

We will continue to promote and raise funds for this project the Mount Kenya ANZAC Day 2015 Climb until December 31st.

The Mount Kenya 2015 web site can be found here on clicking the banner below:

FOOTNOTE

THANKS GARTH WE HAD FUN!

18 Change Over 2014-2015 July 7th 051

Xmas 07

David Benn 018 Garth 001 Garth and Bruce Picture1 Picture5

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

Chris Packham 17 June 2015

Chris Packham – a television presenter, nature photographer, an author and one of the most amazing naturalists of our time. Mesmerising, gutsy, witty, funny and incredibly stylish. It’s such an honour for us. Growing up watching Chris’ shows and following his work to the present day. There’s nothing that you could not like about this genius of a man who will say it as it is. Simply amazing.

Thank you Chris Packham for all that you do.

Chris Packham Web Site

All of the following three legends in wildlife conservation have now joined the SAY NO! Campaign.  Well done Duke Ingram and Rubin Besureis for their amazing work for RAGES.

The Trio

RAGES WEB SITE

Don’t  forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Rotarian Action Group for Endangered Species RAGES: http://www.endangeredrag.org/#

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #40

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #40

From Rotary International, “Rotary Fellowships are groups of Rotary members who share a common interest in recreational, activities, sports, hobbies, or professions, further their vocational development with others in the same profession or field, enhance their Rotary experience by exploring new opportunities and making connections around the world.”  Here’s a list to view:

Amateur Radio www.ifroar.org
Italian Culture www.ICWRF.net
Antique Automobiles www.achafr.eu
Jazz www.rotaryjazz.com
Authors and Writers www.linkedin.com/groups/FellowshipOfAuthorsAndWriters
Latin Culture www.rotarioslatinos.org
Beer www.rotarybrew.org
Bird Watching www.ifbr.org
Magicians www.rotarianmagician.org
Bowling www.rotariansbowling.org
Magna Graecia www.fellowshipmagnagraecia.org
Canoeing http://sites.google.com/site/canoeingrotarians/
Marathon Running www.rotarianrun.org
Caravanning www.rotarianscaravanning.org.uk
Motorcycling www.ifmr.org
Music www.ifrm.org
Old and Rare Books www.rotaryoldbooks.org
Computer Users http://www.icufr.org/
Cooking www.rotariangourmet.com
Photographers www.ifrp.info
Convention Goers www.conventiongoers.org
Police and Law Enforcement www.polepfr.org
Pre-Columbian Civilizations [email protected]
Cruising www.facebook.com/CruisingRotariansFellowship
Quilters and Fiber Artists www.rotariansquilt.org
Curling www.curlingrotarians.com
Railroads www.ifrr.info
Cycling www.cycling2serve.org
Recreational Vehicles www.rvfweb.org
Doctors www.rotariandoctors.org
Rotary Global History www.rotaryhistoryfellowship.org
Doll Lovers www.rotarydlf.org
Rotary Heritage and History www.rhhif.org
E-Clubs http://rotarianseclubfellowship.org/
Rotary Means Business www.rotarymeansbusiness.com
Editors and Publishers www.facebook.com/groups/IFREP/
Rotary on Stamps www.rotaryonstamps.org
Environment www.envirorotarians.org
Scouting www.ifsr-net.org
Esperanto http://radesperanto.monsite-orange.fr/index.html
Scuba Diving www.ifrsd.org
Fishing www.facebook.com/groups/International
Singles www.rsfinternational.net
Flying www.iffr.org
Skiing www.isfrski.org
Geocaching www.ifgr.org
Social Networks www.rosnf.net
Tennis www.itfr.org
Golf www.igfr-international.com
Total Quality Management www.rotarytqm.it
Home Exchange www.rotarianhomeexchange.com
Travel and Hosting www.ithf.org
Honorary Consuls [email protected]
Wellness and Fitness [email protected]
Horseback Riding [email protected]
Wine www.rotarywine.net

Learn More at: Rotary Fellowships 

MEETING MONDAY JUNE 15th. 2015

Tonight we had Don Dyce, Alex Thompson and John Glassford, with help from Sally Farmer and Susan Glassford (members of the G&T team),  present a slide show on their recent adventures in Africa.
20 guests were present with 10 members a good turn out wit some potential new members in the audience.
Alex Thompson starred with his Maasai jumps and sheer enjoyment of life.
211 Oloi
The presentation covered Mount Kenya Climb, the G&T Safari team, Mount Kenya Safari Club, the Oloimugi Maasai Village, Mathare, The Giraffe Manor, The Sheldrick Elephant orphans, Amboseli National Park, Hout Bay, Cape Town, Kenton-on-Sea and RAGES.   PP Ian Jennings presented Alex with a kangaroo pouch.
My favourite two photos from the climb:
001 The Climb (28)
Approaching the summit of point Lenana at 4,985 metres.
001 The Climb (33)
Looking down at the Harris Tarn way below us.
Dick Jennings put out a call for the following items to go to Bathurst to fill a container for our recently departed Christine Atkinson.  Unknown to us Christine was supporting an orphanage in Kenya before her untimely death.  Please bring items to next Monday night’s meeting as we need to fill a trailer.
“exercise books, mathematics books, reading books, textas, stickers, maps, posters, scissors, rulers, shoe laces, paintbrushes, paint, play dough, any craft bead items, marbles, matchbox cars, puzzles, cards, games, balls, hand washers, material, cottons, wool, knitting needles, elastic, buttons, ribbons, CD’s, dress up clothes, skipping ropes, black shoe polish, The schools colours are navy, brown and maroon and school uniform items, (red polo shirts, navy shorts, navy trousers, brown slacks and black shoes).
The O.R.K. School Uniform The O.R.K. Writing Materials The O.R.K. Sports Kit The O.R.K. Excercise Books

Diary Reminders

*Monday 22nd June Dr. Barney Dalgarno on the NBN and IT.

Postcard Postcard2

CLUB CHANGE OVER DATES:

RC WW Kooringal-17th June Country Club, 6.00 p.m. $40

RC West Wyalong-20th June S&C Sports Club, 6.30-7.00 p.m. $35

District Changeover-27th June WW RSL Club, 6.30-7.00 p.m. $35

RC Junee Sunday 28th June at the EX Services Club Lunch Time say 12.00 pm.

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Are-you-smarter-than-a-6-year-old
 This Tricky Puzzle Can Be Solved In 20 Seconds By Most 6-Year Olds. Can You Solve It?

What number is the car parked over?

You have 20 seconds to solve this. GO!

ANZAC Bickies

An elderly man lay dying in his bed While suffering the agonies of impending death, he suddenly smelled the aroma of his favourite Anzac bickies wafting up the stairs.

He gathered his remaining strength, and lifted himself from the bed. Leaning on the wall, he slowly made his way out of the bedroom, and with even greater effort, gripping the railing with both hands, he crawled downstairs. With laboured breath, he leaned against the door-frame, gazing into the kitchen. Were it not for death’s agony, he would have thought himself already in heaven, for there, spread out upon waxed paper on the kitchen table were literally hundreds of his favourite Anzac bickies!

Was it heaven? Or was it one final act of love from his devoted Aussie wife of sixty years, seeing to it that he left this world a happy man?
Mustering one great final effort, he threw himself towards the table, landing on his knees in rumpled posture. His aged and withered hand trembled towards a biscuit at the edge of the table, when it was suddenly smacked by his wife with a spatula……..

“Leave them alone” she said, “they’re for the funeral.”

Boat for Oldies.

HUANG BIDS FAREWELL

RI President Gary C.K. Huang joined Ravindran on stage to exchange club banners, a convention tradition that unofficially marks the changing of the guard.

The four-day convention in São Paulo attracted more than 14,500 attendees from more than 150 countries. Huang told convention goers that it was an honor to serve them as Rotary president.

“But what I value most [as president] are the conversations with Rotarians that, taken together, tell the story of Rotary,” he said. “Some of their stories make me laugh. Others, which may sound simple and ordinary, deeply move me.”

Huang talked about the projects he visited all over the world during his term, and how much they inspired him.

Gary in Nbi

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang and his wife, Corinna, visited Rotary club members in Kenya. They also visited a project site in the Korogocho area of Nairobi, Kenya by the Rotary Club of Muthaiga

Ravi

RI President-elect K.R. Ravindran and his wife, Vanathy, are introduced to the audience at the 2015 Rotary Convention closing plenary session on 9 June in São Paulo, Brazil. The four-day convention attracted more than 14,500 attendees from more than 150 countries.

Be a Gift to the World

I would like to take the opportunity to say THANK YOU.
Thank You for the opportunity to represent the District as your Governor and for the new friends and acquaintances I have been fortunate enough to have made while travelling in the District and beyond.
We are blessed in District 9700 to have the depth of Rotary experience and knowledge to provide willing mentors and advisors for this and other roles and I will look forward to thanking those who have offered me that support and knowledge base.
We have achieved much in this last year and the whole District is able to share I that sense of pride that I certainly feel.
We have seen the establishment of:-
  • a new Rotaract Club, (Griffith)
  • our first Interact Club, (Bathurst)
  • our first Rotary Action Group (RAGES),
  • a Global Grant to Nepal,
  • a nett increase in membership, (approx 2%)
  • a successful new approach to Conferencing,
  • and we are still working on the formation of a new club, our first eclub which I hope will be completed before the end of June,
  • We have generously donated as both individual Clubs and the District to disaster areas such as Vanuatu and Nepal,
  • While still in its infancy we have joined every other District in Australia to have its own Paul Harris Society, one you should consider joining,
  • Many Clubs have begun to “Lighten Up Rotary” by simplifying protocols and have subsequently seen an upward swing in membership – coincidence? Probably not!
  • For the tech savvy we have successfully increased the exposure of our District projects through a PR vehicle called facebook – (thanks Julie Stott)
As a group of like-minded people we achieve many great things and without the District Secretary, District Treasurer, Foundation Director, Conference Chair, Assistant Governors, District Directors, Chairs, Coordinators, Trainers, Newsletter Editors and their spouses much of that work may not be completed – so, THANK YOU everyone that helps.
A special thanks to a couple of people that have been essential in maintaining my equilibrium through this year – you know who you are!

ROTARY INFORMATION

John Kenny

Geetha Jayaram, psychiatrist and associate professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (center), is presented the 2014-15 Global Alumni Service to Humanity Award by RI President Gary C.K. Huang (left) and Rotary Foundation Trustee Chair John Kenny. Jayaram has dedicated her life to helping people in her native India overcome mental illnesses.

John Kenny São Paulo, Brazil 8 June 2015 It is both a privilege and an honor to address you this morning as the chairman of the Trustees of The Rotary Foundation and to speak to you about the Foundation. Our Foundation. Rotary’s charity. Indeed, Rotary’s only charity. Most of the great foundations in the world have been created by powerful and rich families, but our Foundation has been created by the giving and the goodwill of thousands of Rotarians, just like you. This is why we are proud to call it our Foundation.

johnkenny1

FULL REPORT BELOW:

Trustee Chair

ONLY IN AFRICA

Maasai Cricket

It’s just NOT cricket… without a rhino!

Known for their fierce hunting culture, these Maasai warriors show they are just as skilful when exchanging their spears for cricket bats.

The team today took part in a charity match against the British Army Training Unit Kenya in Nanyuki, at the foot of Mount Kenya.

The Maasai Cricket Warriors team are known for using the sport to raise awareness on HIV/AIDS, women’s issues and poaching.

Today’s game was held at the 90,000-acre Ol Pejeta Conservancy and organised in conjunction with the Australian High Commission.

The cricketers were also pictured with Sudan, who is now the last male of only five remaining northern-white rhinoceroses in the world.

The group also organise cricket safaris into Laikipia, where teams can play the sport in a nature reserve while being watched by wildlife.

Cricket was introduced to the Maasai in 2009 by South African primate researcher Aliya Bauer, who missed the sport while living in Kenya.

She began by teaching schoolchildren, before young Maasai warriors started watching the training sessions and then decided to join in.

Maasai Cricket 2 Maasai Cricket 3

The result from the climb will not be know until we close the books at the end of the year December 31st 2015.  What we do know is that we have several projects ot support and one being education of the vulnerable and at risk girls from the slums of Nairobi.  Here are 4 of the girls that we will support and continue to support into the future.

104 Mathare

Neema, Susan, Quinter and Tracy our star pupil.  Tracy is doing very well and Quinter is ready to start her college degree for midwifery and then return to Mathare where she lives to help her people.  We will continue to raise funds for these girls.

FOOTNOTE

Singer

Advice 1949 for your wife!

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

Baby Orangutans 1 Baby Orangutans 2 Baby Orangutans 3 Baby Orangutans 4

Staff at the International Animal Rescue centre in Indonesia use the barrows to take 80 young orangutans from their sleeping quarters to ‘school’ each morning.The International Animal Rescue centre in Indonesia houses 80 orangutans, mostly rescued from captive pet trade.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/…/We-don-t-wanna-walk-like-oo-oo…

WHY? Because of palm oil and the way to stop this is to stop buying palm oil!

We will work on endangered primates in RAGES as we get mobile.

BESUREIS Band rehearsing for the concert in September.

Besureis 1

RAGES WEB SITE

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #39

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #39

ROTI-15

Why not join ROTI or the fellowship for Rotarians On The Internet?
Current ROTI membership: 2065 members in 100 different countries
ROTI 1 ROTI 2
Glo with Marilyn Axler and Madhumita Bishnu in Sao Paulo.  Good Friends!

How to join ROTI

NO MEETING MONDAY 8th. June Public Holiday

Diary Reminders

Thursday 11th June, BINGO Ian  Durham (Captain), Myffy Collette, Ted Hutcheon, Bernadette Milne

Sunday 14th June PE Wayne Lewis New Board Planning Meeting 7.00 pm at the Club.

*Monday 15th June Don Dyce and John Glassford on the Mount Kenya ANZAC Day Climb

CLUB CHANGE OVER DATES:

RC Wagga Wagga Murrumbidgee-12th June Mercure Motel, 6-6.30 p.m. $45

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Whales
The Meteor

As a jet was flying over Arizona on a clear day, the copilot was providing his passengers with a running commentary about landmarks over the PA system.
Coming up on the right, you can see the Meteor Crater, which is a major tourist attraction in northern Arizona. It was formed when a lump of nickel and iron, roughly 150 feet in diameter and weighing 300,000 tons, struck the earth 50,000 years ago at about 40,000 miles an hour, scattering white-hot debris for miles in every direction. The hole measures nearly a mile across and is 570 feet deep.
The Blonde lady sitting next to me exclaimed: Wow, look! It just missed the highway!

door bell

DG

August is Membership Month — the perfect time to recruit new club members and find ways to get members more involved. Interact, Rotaract, and Rotary clubs are all powered by members. Our clubs thrive when we connect with new friends, welcome new voices at our meetings, and work together to improve life in our communities.

What’s the easiest way to invite new members? Just ask! At your next club meeting, brainstorm a compelling answer to the question, “What is Interact?” or “What is Rotaract?” or “What is Rotary?” so that a prospective member’s next question will be, “How do I join?”

See more

ROTARY INFORMATION

rotary_destaques3-960x350 (2)

Rio 1 Rio 2 Rio 3 Rio 4 Rio 5 Rio 6 Rio 7 Rio 8 Rio 9

ONLY IN AFRICA

Seen in Cape Town

Teeth again

Teeth 4 sale

Teeth for sale.

After the climb and the safari by the ladies we all met up at the Mount Kenya Safari Club on the Equator.  This hotel was first built by William Holden the actor. Beautiful way to unwind and rest after the mighty effort we all put into the climb itself.

14 Safari Club 13 Safari Club 12 Safari Club 11 Safari Club 10 Safari Club 09 Safari Club 08 Safari Club 07 Safari Club 06 Safari Club 05 Safari Club 04 Safari Club 03 Safari Club 02 Safari Club 01 Safari Club

FOOTNOTE

VIVID SYDNEY WELL WORTH THE VISIT.

Vivid Sydney 8 Vivid Sydney 7 Vivid Sydney 6 Vivid Sydney 5 Vivid Sydney 4 Vivid Sydney 3 Vivid Sydney 2 Vivid Sydney 1

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

Please welcome – one of the star guests of our campaign.

Helen Patricia Sharman, OBE PhD, is a British chemist who became the first Briton in space and the first woman to visit the Mir space station in 1991. Helen is one of the most remarkable, beautiful, enigmatic woman that we have ever met. And it is our biggest pleasure and honour to have her on this campaign. Please stay tuned for our video channel where Helen is our star guest and her message for One Fight. Unite.

Helen Sharman UK

10924733_10204478533147907_8824396910551016322_n

RAGES WEB SITE

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #38

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #38

ROTARY MEANS BUSINESS FELLOWSHIP 

Mission Statement

Rotary Means Business encourages Rotarians to support the success of their fellow Rotarians by doing business with them, and by referring others to them.

“If any one tells you that it is reprehensible to make a dollar or two for the wife and babies from club associates in straightforward business transactions, tell that person that some foreign substance has gotten into his carburetor.”

(Paul P. Harris, January 1911)

Paul_Harris_port

MEETING MONDAY JUNE 1st. 2015

We had 28 members and guest along to hear President Garth talk on his visit to Nepal.  Among our guests were Lyn and Warren Charlton, Heather McKinley, Flavio, Alessandro, Susan Glassford, Alex Thompson, Maureen Hulsman, Marg Perkin, Helen Lewis.  Visiting Rotarains were AG Alan Sharp and Father Michael Perrot.

The Red Shield appeal raised $1461.  Well done to Ted Hutcheon and the volunteers. Henk, Ian Jennings, Garth, Bernadette, Myffy, Mark and Sharon.

DSCN2757

Garth put out an appeal for the late Christine Atkinson’s appeal for sheets and clothes for an orphanage on South Africa that Christine was supporting.

No meeting next Monday however there is a board meeting at Garth’s for 7.30 pm Monday 8th June.

PE Wayne Lewis has a planning meeting for the 2015-2016 board at the Club on Sunday 14th June at 7 pm.

GUEST SPEAKER GARTH PERKIN ON NEPAL:

Nepal 1

Namaste Garth!

Garth  gave a comprehensive talk on his and Marg’s visit to Nepal in late April.  Including a description of the earthquake although they were 80 ks form the epicentre they still felt it.

Marg went over with Garth with the Rotary Cub of Kyneton to do some teaching for hearing impaired people.  Garth was here to help with teaching basic English.  This is a RAWCS project to:

• To foster and support initiatives of benefit to the Nepali people, including but not restricted to initiatives directed towards:

*    community-run schools that improve the quality of education for Nepalis

*    local health services that support rural communities in Nepal

*    community projects that bring jobs and opportunities to Nepali villages

Read their newsletter here:  http://nepalaid.org.au/

Well done Garth and Marg there were some great videos og Garth dancing as well as Marg you had to be at our meeting to enjoy that!

Picture8 Picture7 Picture6 Picture5 Picture4 Picture3 Picture2 Picture1

Members are reminded that our fees are due on July 1st as are the Club Social membership dues.

Diary Reminders

Saturday, 6th June – Tuesday 9th June: 2015 RI Convention Sao Paulo BRAZIL.

Monday 8th June Public Holiday Board Meeting at Garth and Marg Perkin’s House.

Thursday 11th June, BINGO Ian  Durham (Captain), Myffy Collette, Ted Hutcheon, Bernadette Milne

Sunday 14th June New Board Planning Meeting 7.00 pm at the Club.

*Monday 15th June Don Dyce and John Glassford on the Mount Kenya ANZAC Day Climb

CLUB CHANGE OVER DATES:

RC Wagga Wagga Murrumbidgee-12th June Mercure Motel, 6-6.30 p.m. $45

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Cash
The Vicar and the Fish
As it was such a nice day, the vicar called the church to say he was too sick to take the morning service that Sunday. He loaded up his fishing gear and went down the beach. God, watching from above, didn’t think he should get away with this. He called one of his angels over to watch what he was going to do. The Vicar cast his line and immediately caught a 100kg fish, the biggest he had ever seen let alone caught.’i thought you were going to punish him’ said the angel, disappointed.
‘ I have’ god replied ‘who is he going to tell?’
Paddy and Murphy
Paddy & Murphy are working on a building site.Paddy says to Murphy ‘Im gonna have the day off, I’m gonna pretend I’m mad!’He climbs up the rafters , hangs upside down & shouts ‘I’M A LIGHTBULB! I’M A LIGHTBULB!’
Murphy watches in amazement!The Foreman shouts ‘Paddy you’re mad, go home.’So he leaves the site.Murphy starts packing his kit up to leave as well.’Where are you going?’ asks the Foreman.’I cant work in the dark! ‘ says Murphy.
1517721_936658956376799_2989644670795899740_n

Gary iin Shanghai

Rotary International President Gary C.K. Huang and his wife, Corinna, visited Rotary club members in Shanghai. They also attended the charter ceremony event for the Rotary Club of Shanghai West.

RI President Gary’s JUNE 2015 Message

When I began this Rotary year as your president, I wanted us, above all, to Light Up Rotary. I wanted us to share with the world how many wonderful friendships and experiences we have found in Rotary, and how Rotary has transformed and enriched our lives. I knew that by telling others about Rotary, we would increase membership, build stronger clubs, and improve our ability to help people in need.

As we end this 2014-15 Rotary year, I am honored by your response and will always be grateful for how you have risen to this challenge. You have answered my call to Light Up Rotary by holding many successful Rotary Day celebrations in your communities; you have outdone yourselves in your contributions to our Rotary Foundation; and you have moved all of Rotary forward with new members and new clubs.

FULL MESSAGE HERE

DG

Bathurst Daybreak

Enjoying 20th anniversary dinner for Bathurst Daybreak

Bowelscan Report 2014 for this Northern area of Rotary District 9700.

With the introduction of the new iFOBT Bowelscan kits in 2014, there has been a marked increase in the number of ‘positive” tests to 11.86% of the total number of kits returned for testing, compared with 0.78% in 2013 when the old coloscreen kits were in use. All those people with a ‘positive” test have been referred to their doctors for further consultation, and their doctors also informed.

Each Rotary Club in this Northern area have been posted a copy of the report.

This is very impressive.

David Swallow

Coordinator, Bowelscan District Committee.

ROTARY INFORMATION

Change over time and many clubs are into planning their change over dinner and some have already completed theirs.  Here are some photos form the change over dinner for the Rotary Club of  Nairobi East rotary installation congratulations to Nana . . Did I just subscribe into climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in December? They are aiming to create a world record for the number of climbers to reach Uhuru Point on Kilimanjaro.

Nairobi 1 Nairobi 2 Nairobi 3

District 9212 has now added and chartered three new Rotary Club’s of Nyali, Mombasa Downtown and Mambrui. Then chartered a new Rotaract Club in Mombasa North Coast Medical College.  That makes 27 new Rotary Clubs by DG Bimal Kantaria.

ONLY IN AFRICA

barrow boy

Barrow Boy!

One of the many things that we did apart from climbing Mount Kenya was to enjoy some of the sights and places of interest.  While we stayed at the Outspan Hotel in Nyeri we learned that Lord Robert Baden-Powell and his wife Olave, lived in a cottage in the hotel grounds for three years until his death, called PAXTU. Baden-Powell is also buried in Nyeri.

Nyeri 1 Nyeri 2 Nyeri 3Nyeri 4

FOOTNOTE

Last Saturday night the Ganmain Hall was host to Champagne Flutes and several of our members attended.  A great night by all accounts in aid of the Ganmain Hall.

Champagne Flutes 5

Champagne Flutes 2 Champagne Flutes 3 Champagne Flutes 4 Champagne Flutes

LATEST NEWS FROM RAGES.

The poster campaign is hotting up and here are some of the latest to Say NO!

Dr William Fowlds Tim Harrison Shelley and Barbie Nicholas Duncan and Paula master eve conway (2) Damien Mander Dame Vivienne Westwood

Can you name all 9 who have signed?  First in with the correct answer gets a Say NO! T Shirt.

May 30th was the anniversary of Satoa’s murder by poachers in Tsavo Easy National Park.

Satoa-3

REQUIESCANT IN PACE SATOA

RAGES WEB SITE

Websites of Interest