Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #31

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #31

MARCH IS ROTARY LITERACY MONTH.

UPCOMING EVENTS

REMINDER that Easter Saturday is next Saturday and we need volunteers for the markets.

MONDAY MEETING

Monday night we had our monthly member’s night and tonight our Treasurer Henk Hulsman and PP gave a story on his life.  President Paul welcomed all our guests which included, Bernadette Milne, Maureen Hulsman, Marilyn Jennings, Christine Lorraine, Ted Hutcheon, Susan Glassford and we welcomed back Ray and Maria Foley.  There were 13 members present tonight as well.

Grahame Miles reported on the upcoming Saturday Easter Markets and the Grand Design Tour in Coolamon asking for volunteers for the day. Dick Jennings promoted the Coolamon and Ganmain Trivia night and we look like being able to book one table from our members and partners.

Ian Jennings and John Glassford reported on last week’s RYDA {Rotary Youth Driver Awareness programme in Wagga Wagga.}  See story at the end of this bulletin.

HENK HULSMAN

The night belonged to Henk or Harmen Hulsman a long time member of our Rotary Club.  Henk is a 1st generation Australian born in Narrandera at the end of WW2.  Henk is Dutch by origin and his father and mother spent many years in the Dutch East Indies as rubber plantation managers.  Henk’s parents met and married in the islands and Henk has 2 sisters and a brother.  The Japanese invasion of Borneo saw Henk’s parents interred in a concentration camp where they were separated and badly treated by the Japanese.

After the war the Hulsmans moved to Australia and lived in Ganmain for a short period and made great friends with the Guthries.  They returned to Bali after Indonesia achieved independence. and left Indonesia for Australia for good in 1950.  Henk became an accountant and worked for the CBC or Commercial Bank in New South Wales and saw much of the country.  Henk married Maureen and they have two children.  Henk ended up in Coolamon as the branch manager for CBC and when CBC got taken over by the NAB he started managing the Sydney Credit Union in Wagga Wagga, as a financial advisor and never looked back.

Henk has since retired and is involved in the Coolamon Men’s Shed and Rotary where he has been a member since 1981, has been President and is currently our treasurer.  Henk was recently awarded a Paul Harris Fellow; richly deserved.  One of the characters of our club with a wicked sense of humour, thanks Henk for your life story.  Enjoy your bowls old mate!

PRESIDENT PAUL WESTON’S REPORT

President’s report

Things are picking up in Rotary World.  This weekend promises to be a ripper, with the markets at the Up To Date Store, Grand Designs Coolamon Style, and a hundred hot rods in the streets of Coolamon on Easter Saturday.  Between the great weather tipped for the day and the large number of visitors to town for the holiday weekend, it could be a blockbuster.  If you haven’t already been rostered on to sell raffle tickets for the day, please contact Grahame ([email protected]) ASAP to sign up for a spot.

Thanks to Ian Jennings and John Glassford who assisted with RYDA in Wagga last week, and to Wayne Lewis who joined me in stuffing flyers for the markets and Grand Designs in newspapers at the newsagency very early on Saturday morning!

We had another great rollup for our Monday meeting, which featured another episode in our continuing saga of member life stories after a great roast lamb dinner prepared by Andrew.  Henk Hulsman described his life story, which has had a number of interesting twists and turns, especially in his early years as his parents shifted from Ganmain to Bali (this was after his parents had made and lost a fortune in Indonesia).  Henk’s life was a bit more tame than that of his parents, but was interesting nonetheless and involved several moves in southeastern Australia as Henk’s employment the banking industry required him to relocate frequently.  It really is amazing how many surprising aspects there are to the lives of our members.  Next month’s member meeting (29 April) will feature Craig Corrigan, so be sure to note the date in your diary.

Activities of interest abound in April.  April 12 will be Trivia Night at the Coolamon Sport and Rec Club.  We have nearly enough people to sponsor a table of 8, and at $10 pp you can’t go wrong.  If interested in rounding out a table or starting another, please contact me ([email protected]) and we’ll add you to the list.  Later in the month (April 19-21) is the District Convention in Leeton.  Registration is done through the district convention website.  Discussion is taking place for a joint social event with the Lions, so stay tuned as details are finalised.

Have a great Easter, and I hope to see you in town for all the events on Easter Saturday.  Because of the public holiday, there will be no Rotary meeting on Monday next (April 1), so our next meeting will be on 8 April (featuring an interesting talk by Max Chapman entitled “Europe on a Shoestring”).  See you there!

Yours in Rotary,
Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

Saturday 30th March Rotary Community Easter Markets in the Up-to-Date-Store,  complemented by ‘Grand Designs Coolamon Style’  & a main street full of 100 or so Hot Rod Cars.

Monday April 1st NO Meeting Easter Monday.

*Monday 8th April Sue and Max Chapman Europe on a Shoe String. Gilbert catering.

Monday 8th -Friday 13th April RYLA Rotary Youth Leadership Awards.  Alex Thompson is our club’s sponsored student this year at Camp Kurrajong, Oura Road, Wagga Wagga.  RYLA web Site.

Thursday April 11th Rotary Bingo: Rostered on are: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Garth Perkin

***New Event:  Friday April 12th TRIVIA NIGHT in aid of the Ganmain/ Coolamon Hospital Auxiliary.  Coolamon Sport and Recreation Club 7.00pm.  $10/head, best bet make up a table, contact Maree Jennings on 6927 3074 for further details.

Monday 15th April Business and Board Meeting Club catering

Friday 19th to Sunday 21st April 2013   D9700 Conference Leeton.

Monday April 29th Members Night Craig Corrigan.  Club catering.

Saturday June 8th Coolamon Rotary Street Raffle.

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

*Monday July 1st our 42nd Change Over Night.

*Partners and Guests Night.

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENT SAKUJI TANAKA

While visiting District 2490 in Israel RI Director Gideon Peiper and I toured the facilities of the Israeli-based Save a Child’s Heart, an international humanitarian project which provides care to children from developing countries who suffer from heart disease. I want to thank District Governor Moshe Edelman and Past District Governor Yoram Cohen for their assistance during my visit, and all the Rotarians and other volunteers who support this lifesaving project.

イスラエル訪問中、心臓疾患のある発展途上国の子供たちを治療している病院を訪れました。ロータリアンをはじめボランティアの方々が病気と闘う子供たちを励まし、支援しています。素晴らしいプロジェクトです。

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Bad Day

There I was, sitting at the bar, staring at my drink, when a really big, trouble-making biker steps up next to me, grabs my drink, and gulps it down in one swig.

“Well, whatcha gonna do about it?” he says menacingly, as I burst into tears.

“Come on, man,” the biker says, “I didn’t think you’d CRY. I can’t stand to see a man crying.”

“This is the worst day of my life,” I said. “I’m a complete failure. I was late to a meeting and my boss fired me. When I went to the parking lot, I found my car had been stolen and I don’t have any insurance. I left my wallet in the cab I took home. I found my wife in bed with the gardener, and then my dog bit me, so I came to this bar to work up the courage to put an end to it all. I buy a drink, drop the capsule in it, and was sitting here watching the poison dissolve when you show up and drink the whole thing!! But enough about me, how’s your day going?”

ERIC VAN SOEST

Compo

A farmer who’s been involved in a terrible road accident with a large truck ended up in court fighting for a big compensation claim. “I understand you’re claiming damages for the injuries you’re supposed to have suffered? ” Stated the counsel for the insurance company. “Yes, that’s right,” replied the farmer, nodding his head. “You claim you were injured in the accident, yet I have a signed police statement that says that when the attending police officer asked you how you were feeling, you replied, ‘I’ve never felt better inn my life.’ Is that the case? “Yeah, but ” stammered the farmer. “A simple yes or not will suffice,” counsel interrupted quickly. “Yes,” Replied the farmer.

Then it was the turn of the farmer’s counsel to ask him questions. “Please tell the court the exact circumstance of events following the accident when you made your statement of health,” his lawyer said. “Certainly,” replied the farmer. “After the accident my horse was thrashing around with a broken leg and my poor old dog was howling in pain. This cop comes along, takes one look at my horse and shoots him dead. “Then he goes over to my dog, looks at him and shoots him dead too. Then he come straight over to me and asked me how I was feeling. “Now, mate, what the heck would you have said to him? ”

ROTARY INFORMATION

RYDA {ROTARY YOUTH DRIVER AWARENESS.}

One of the best youth projects by Rotary is the RYDA week or Rotary Youth Driver Awareness programme held every year for one week in Wagga Wagga. Year 11 students attend and it is a huge success.  Coolamon Rotary was rostered on for last Friday 22nd March and Ian Jennings and John Glassford volunteered.   Here are some photos from the day.

RYDA Web Site now known as Road Safety Education.

BUCKET LIST

PORTUGAL 2013 LISBON RI CONVENTION

While you are in Portugal go visit The Initiation Well in Sintra,

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

THE SPIRIT TREE

The Spíritree offers a poetic life-from-death metaphor as a celebration of the loved one’s memory, transforming the funeral rite from one of sadness into one of hope, all while promoting environmental restoration and awareness.

Spirit Tree Web Site

OTHER NEWS

Read the full story here on this amazing Men’s Shed in Perth sponsored by the RC of Mosman Park in Pearth.

MOSMAN PARK MEN’S Shed

Thanks to Di Collins from the RC of Freshwater Bay in Perth for this story.

Rotary International President Sakuji Tanaka

Governor of District 9700  Greg Brown

Coolamon Club President  Paul Weston

Coolamon Club Secretary  John Glassford

Club Treasurer  Henk Hulsman

Coolamon Rotary Club Inc. P.O. Box 23 COOLAMON N.S.W. 2701

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary Club: http://coolamonrotary.com

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Rotary Down Under on line: http://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/26587/49598/pub

The Orphan Rescue Kit a Coolamon RC Project: http://theork.com/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Send Maggie to University

This request and video comes from a great friend Megan MacDonald a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar who studied in Kenya.  Megan is also very much involved in Sasa Designs by the deaf ladies of Nairobi truly a wonderful example of what Rotary Scholarships can start with a very talented and lovely lady, Megan, whom I met at the Rotary International Convention in LA in 2008.

Hello friends, family and Rotary family! Thank you for taking a moment to consider this request for support sending my dear friend Maggie to University starting this year. Some of you will remember “meeting” Maggie via my blog (see here and here) – others know what a close part of my life here in Kenya she has become. Almost no one knows her whole story – and because her dream to go to university is THAT BIG, she and I want to share it with you.

See the full story here and in the video below:

Maggie and Megan

Shop Locally Campaign Rotary Coolamon Project

Some of the the members of Coolamon Rotary came up with the idea of promoting the Coolamon Shire from a local point of view.  What is intended by this project is to encourage those who live in the Shire to shop locally and support the Shire’s many and varied enterprises and services.  Stage 1 was to put up display banners in Coolamon, Ganmain and Marrar.  Stage 2 was to hold dinner meetings to introduce vested owners and operators to each other.  Stage 3 was a dinner on how to use the Internet and promote local business through the web.

Here are some photographs of the banners flying high in Coolamon, please note the Rotary Logo:

Men’s Shed in Perth

Coolamon Rotary started the Men’s Shed here in Coolamon and are now looking for a new building or to build one.  This one in Perth looks great:

Instead of the regular meeting of the RC of Freshwater Bay, the meeting this week was a Vocational Visit to the RC Mosman Park’s Men’s Shed. With a Lottery’s Commission Grant of almost $750,000 plus a contribution of over $90,000 from the RC Mosman Park, a huge and impressive building and project has been established. The benefits to all concerned, especially the men, young and not so young, who are members of the Men’s Shed and regularly attend, is significant. Uses for the building are extensive, not only does the RC Mosman Park have a permanent storage room and meeting room but various courses, including cooking, are run from the building. Well done RC Mosman Park! The City of Nedlands and the RCFB will talk about where to from here.Along with members of the RCFB, it was good to have in attendance for the Vocational visit, Hon. member Kay and Malcolm Mason, RF Alumni Prue Cowan and Graeme Hillier and Aaron Chinyimba along with RCMP Pres. Brett Pollock and other members of the Club, plus members of the Men’s Shed.

The GREATEST MAN on Earth!

SERVICE WAY ABOVE SELF

I have no words to say about this video. Watch yourself & feel. If this video touches or inspires you please recommend it to others & also extend your comments.

ABOUT the Video:

Narayanan Krishnan brings hot meals daily to India’s homeless and destitute. Since 2002, the chef has served more than 1.2 million meals through his non-profit organization, Akshaya Trust.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #30

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #30

UPCOMING EVENTS

1.  REMINDER  that next Monday night we have our own Henk Hulsman as our guest speaker, please make the effort to bring your partner.

2. REMINDER that Easter Saturday is fast approaching and we need volunteers for the markets.

MONDAY MEETING

Tonight we had one of those meetings where we inducted a new member to our club, Wayne Lewis.  Welcome Wayne and Helen to Rotary and we are sure that the years ahead will provide you with much friendship, laughter and to be able to serve our community.

Tonight we also inducted Sandra West as our first Friend of Rotary.  President Paul Weston has written more below in his report.

We had 13 members in attendance including our newest member Wayne and FoR Sandra.  Our guests included:  Miffy Clarke from Ganmain, Alex Thompson our RYLA student, Gabby and Bill Thompson, Mathew Debronski, Ted Hutcheon, Neil West.  The following partners also attended: Marylin Jennings, Christine Lorraine, Susan Glassford and Helen Lewis.

Guest Speaker: Sergeant Ross Sinclair, MSI, RAAF, Forest Hill,

Ross was the guest of Ian Durham.  Ross gave a comprehensive presentation on his work past and present has a member of the RAAF.  His love of the Caribou aircraft was evident and Ross told many stories of this air plane built by Hawker de Havilland.   Ross lives in Coolamon and has a wife and two teenage daughters.  Ross loves his work and making women and men into great team members who can respond to any situation.  Ross concluded that age was no barrier in joining the RAAF.  Neil Munro thanked Ross and presented Ross with a clever wallaby coin pouch.

Dubbed Wallaby Airlines after its call sign ‘Wallaby’ during the Vietnam war, 35 SQN’s Caribou aircraft carried around 677,000 passengers and 36 million kilograms of freight without fatality during that conflict.

President’s report

And the Rotary gear keeps rollin’ along.  We had a fabulous meeting on Monday with a great rollout of Rotarians and partners.  The meeting featured an introduction, two inductions, and an engaging talk by our guest speaker.  After a tasty meal and dessert catered by Gilbert, Alex Thompson was introduced as our RYLA nominee and sent off with our good wishes for a successful time at RYLA, which will be held in mid April.  We also inducted two new additions to our Rotary family, Wayne Lewis as our newest member and Sandra West as our first Friend of Rotary.  Wayne has the classification of Transport and will be assisting Grahame with his Service Projects portfolio.  Sandra has been an integral part of the markets run by our club over the past several years, and is formalising her relationship with Rotary through our innovative new program, Friends of Rotary.

Following the inductions, we were treated to a very interesting talk by Ross Sinclair, a Coolamon resident who works as a recruit trainer at the RAAF base in Wagga.  Ross described his interesting history with the RAAF, including stays at bases around Australia and in Europe.  It was extremely interesting to get a glimpse of life in the military from someone who has made a career of it.

Dick closed out the meeting with a hard-hitting fine session, sparing no one in the process (including our guests!).  It was gratifying to see a great rollout and fellowship that continued well past the closing gong.  Be sure to come to our next meeting, when our own Henk Hulsman will relate his life story, which is bound to be intriguing!

Yours in Rotary,
Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

Friday 22nd March RYDA (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness) Wagga Wagga ALL DAY with Coolamon Central School, John Glassford and Ian Jennings.

*Monday 25th March Club Member Night Henk Hulsman.  Club catering.

Saturday 30th March Rotary Community Easter Markets in the Up-to-Date-Store,  complemented by ‘Grand Designs Coolamon Style’  & a main street full of 100 or so Hot Rod Cars.

*Monday 8th April Max Chapman Europe on a Shoe String.

Monday 8th -Friday 13th April RYLA Rotary Youth Leadership Awards.  Alex Thompson is our club’s sponsored student this year at Camp Kurrajong, Oura Road, Wagga Wagga.  RYLA web Site.

Thursday April 11th Rotary Bingo: Rostered on are: Leslie Weston, Paul Weston, Ian Jennings, Garth Perkin

***New Event:  Friday April 12th TRIVIA NIGHT in aid of the Ganmain/ Coolamon Hospital Auxiliary.  Coolamon Sport and Recreation Club 7.00pm.  $10/head, best bet make up a table, contact Maree Jennings on 6927 3074 for further details.

June 23-26 2013 Rotary International Convention in Lisbon.   RI Convention Lisbon.

While here in Mumbai I wish to congratulate the members of the Rotaract Club of the Caduceus, Mumbai, for being chosen as the international winner of the Rotaract Outstanding Project Awards. Because of their hard work thousands of local schoolchildren have received comprehensive eye care. Please take a few moments to read about all the winning projects.

Mumbai Wins Rotaract Outstanding Project

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Hope you get the above joke!

Wedding Vows

During the wedding rehearsal, the groom approached the pastor with an unusual offer: “Look, I’ll give you $100 if you’ll change the wedding vows. When you get to the part where I’m supposed to promise to ‘love, honor and obey’ and ‘be faithful to her forever,’ I’d appreciate it if you’d just leave that out.” He passed the minister a $100 bill and walked away satisfied.

On the day of the wedding, when it came time for the groom’s vows, the pastor looked the young man in the eye and said: “Will you promise to prostrate yourself before her, obey her every command and wish, serve her breakfast in bed every morning of your life, and swear eternally before God and your lovely wife that you will not ever even look at another woman, as long as you both shall live? ”The groom gulped and looked around, and said in a tiny voice, “Yes,” then leaned toward the pastor and hissed: “I thought we had a deal.” The pastor put a $100 bill into the groom’s hand and whispered: “She made me a better offer.”

Honeymoon.

A young couple got married and went on their honeymoon. When they got back, the bride immediately called her mother. “Well…” said her mother, “How was the honeymoon?” “Oh, mamma!” she replied, “The honeymoon was wonderful! So romantic…” Suddenly she burst out in tears. “But mamma, as soon as we returned, Tom started using the most horrible language – things I’d never heard before! I mean, all these awful four letter words! You have got to take me home… PLEASE MAMMA!” “Sarah, Sarah…” her mother said, “Calm down! You need to stay with your husband and work this out.

Now tell me, what could be so awful? What four letter words did he say?” “Please don’t make me tell you, Mamma!” wept the daughter, “I’m so embarrassed they’re just too awful! COME GET ME, PLEASE!” “Darling, baby, you have to tell your mother these horrible four letter words.” Still sobbing, the bride said, “Oh, Mamma … he used words like: dust, wash, iron, cook…”

“I’ll pick you up in twenty minutes.” said the mother.

Maternity Ward.

Four men are in the hospital waiting room because their wives are having babies. A nurse goes up to the first guy and says, “Congratulations! You’re the father of twins.” “That’s odd,” answers the man. “I work for the Minnesota Twins!” A nurse says to the second guy, “Congratulations! You’re the father of triplets!”

“That’s weird,” answers the second man. “I work for the 3M company!” A nurse tells the third man, “Congratulations! You’re the father of quadruplets!” “That’s strange,” he answers. “I work for the Four Seasons hotel!” The last man is groaning and banging his head against the wall. “What’s wrong?” the others ask.

“I work for 7 Up!”

ROTARY INFORMATION

Your Opportunity to Volunteer in Kenya

RAWCS Rotary Australia World Community Service

RAWCS (Project No. 51/2011-12) (District 9570) is organising a team to travel to Diani Beach/ Ukunda, Kenya to erect a perimeter coral brick and mesh fence on 17 acre property – future home of Umoja Orphanage.

No further building can proceed without the security this fence will provide.

The Team will consist of eight members and requires men and women who are capable and /or experienced in wire fencing and cement/coral block laying and related tasks.

Volunteering is the experience of a lifetime. As usual, Volunteers will enjoy the ambience, the culture, mateship, and the experience, yet know they are contributing in a project to improve the lives of Kenyan orphan children.

Rotarian Austin from Australia with an orphan at Umoja.

Dates:  The team will leave September 16 and return to Australia on October 3

Includes a 4 day Wildlife Safari, Volunteer experience at Kikambala Children’s feeding station, Guided tour of our Mentoring Orphanage’ in Kilifi, North of Mombasa, free days to explore your chosen adventure and of course erecting perimeter fence for the Orphanage.

Be Passport ready.

For more details contact:

PDG Terry Daley (e) [email protected] and (m) 0447 361 631
RSVP Expressions of Interest by April 20 at latest and a RAWCS Application form will be sent for completion..

BUCKET LIST

Diani Beach Kenya

This is what you will be able to enjoy if you volunteer to go to the Umoja orphanage at Diani Beach.

Rotary Club of Diani Beach meets at 12.30 pm every Tuesday at the Jadini Beach Hotel.

District 9200 East Africa Web Site

The D9200 conference is at Diani Beach in April this year!!!!

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

Websites of Interest

Road MAPS to Africa a Coolamon Rotary Project: http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org/

Our Rotary Centennial Twin Club Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa: http://www.rotaryhoutbay.org

Don’t forget to regularly check our club web site for current information such as bingo rosters and various newsletters from the District Governor, the School of St. Jude’s, the monthly membership on the move newsletter as well as several other club bulletins.

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #29

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #29

Group Study Exchange District 5690 Team Kansas visit to D9700 upcoming March 25th onwards to the District Conference in Leeton.

D5690 GSE Team

This will be the last GSE Team to visit us under the old Foundation.  You can meet them at Leeton at the DISCON or go make up at one of the meetings they will be hosted at in our district.

Steve Johnson – Team Leader – Lawyer – general practice: Estate planning, Business, Criminal defense, domestic & civil litigation, oil & gas

Matthew Hosey – GIS (Oil & Gas) – Degree in Geography – Expert with GIS Systems (Geographic Information Systems) – worked on mapping BP oil spills in the Gulf – Currently negotiating oil and gas leases.

Charity Davis – Finance (Stocks) – Works for Wells Fargo Advisors, Stock brokerage firm – a registered Client Associate – working towards getting her license to sell securities – stocks, bonds, marketable securities.

Hope Swartz – Mortgage lending – Mortgage Loan Assistant – Services existing loans on real estate and home loans, customer service, and document preparation for new loans.

Larry Altis – Retail farm/hardware – Manager of large farm supply store. Retail business. Works with several stores for an owner – but manages one of the stores too.

Melissa Shippy – Case Manager – Big Brothers Big Sisters – provides mentors for disadvantaged youth, manages case load, support and guidance of “matches” in their relationship development.

Programme

25/3/13 Arrive Orange Host Club: Orange RC

5.30pm Orange RC – D9700 Official Welcome

Wed 27/3/13 7am Orange Daybreak RC

Fri 29/3/13 Transfer to Host Club: Bathurst East RC

Wed 3/4/13 6.30pm Bathurst East RC

Thurs 4/4/13 Host Club: Cowra RC 6pm Cowra RC

Mon 8/4/13 Transfer to Host Club: Murrumburrah-Harden 6.30pm Murrumburrah-Harden RC

Tues 9/4/13 6.30pm Young RC

Thur 11/4/13 Transfer to Host Club: South Wagga Wagga RC

Mon 15/4/13 6.30pm South Wagga RC

Tues 16/4/13 7am Wagga Wagga Sunrise RC

6.30pm Henty RC

Wed 17/4/13 Transfer to Host Club: Griffith East RC

6.30pm Griffith East

Sat 20/4/13 D9700 Conference – Leeton

11.30am D9700 GSE Team presentation on exchange to D5690

1.35pm D5690 GSE Team presentation

Mon 22/4/13 Depart Griffith

Rotary District 5690

Rotary D 5690 GSE Team Facebook Page

DIARY REMINDERS

Thursday, 14th March at 7.30 pm:   Rotary BINGO  – rostered on are  –  Henk Hulsman,  John Burns, Grahame Miles and John Glassford. (Reminder to Garth Perkin and Rod Jarrett you are both rostered on as a swap).

*Monday 18th March Guest Speaker Ross Sinclair RAAF Forest Hill RAAF base speaking on the modern day Air Force.   Gilbert catering.

Friday 22nd March RYDA (Rotary Youth Driver Awareness) Wagga Wagga ALL DAY with Coolamon Central School.

When we focus on young people, we are focusing on building the future of Rotary and a more peaceful world. When we serve youth, we help to bring Rotary to a new generation.
Rotary programs, such as Youth Exchange, play an essential part in Rotary’s global mission of building peace by helping to build, one exchange at a time, good relationships between nations.
Read more in my March message at http://ow.ly/iohxo.

未来を担う若い人たちの声を聞くことはとても重要です。若者たちと協力してこそ、ロータリーの未来、そしてより平和な世界を築くことができます。3月のメッセージ:http://bit.ly/LN1aJt

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

Blonde Joke 1

A girl came skipping home from school one day.
“Mummy, Mummy,” she yelled,
“we were counting today, and all the other kids could only count to four, but I counted to 10. See? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10!”
“Very good,” said her mother.
“Is it because I’m blonde, Mommy?”
“Yes, it’s because you’re blonde,” her mother replied.

The next day, the girl came skipping home from school.
“Mommy, Mommy,” she yelled,
“we were saying the alphabet today, and all the other kids could only say it to D, but I said it to G. See? A, B, C, D, E, F, G!” “Very good,” said her mother.
“Is it because I’m blonde, Mommy?”
“Yes, pumpkin, it’s because you’re blonde.”

The next day the girl came skipping home from school. “Mummy, Mummy,” she yelled,
“we were in gym class today, and when we showered, all the other girls had flat chests, but I have these!”
And she lifted her tank top to reveal a pair of 36Cs.
“Very good,” said her embarrassed mother.
“Is it because I’m blonde, mommy?”
“No, it’s because you’re 25.”

Blonde Joke 2

A blonde woman was having financial troubles so she decided to kidnap a dog and demand a ransom. She went to a local park, grabbed a little dog, took it behind a tree and wrote this note. “I have kidnapped your dog. I am sorry to do this but I need the money. Leave $10,000 in a plain brown bag behind the big oak tree in the park at 7 AM.” Signed, “The Blonde”. She pinned the note inside the little dog’s collar and told the dog to go straight home. The next morning, she returned to the park to find the $10,000 in a brown bag behind the big oak tree, just as she had instructed. Inside the bag was the following note. “Here is your money. I cannot believe that one blonde would do this to another.”

Pay Back

A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is finishing up her shower, when the doorbell rings. The wife quickly wraps herself in a towel and runs downstairs.

When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the next-door neighbour. Before she says a word, Bob says, “I’ll give you $800 to drop that towel.” After thinking for a moment, the woman drops her towel and stands naked in front of Bob. A…fter a few seconds, Bob hands her $800 and leaves.

The woman wraps back up in the towel and goes back upstairs. When she gets to the bathroom, her husband asks, “Who was that?”

“It was Bob the next door neighbor,” she replies.

“Great!” the husband says, “did he say anything about the $800 he owes me?”

ROTARY INFORMATION

ROTARY CLUB OF WAGGA WAGGA SUNRISE

On Saturday 9th March the Rotary Club of Wagga Wagga Sunrise held a day for the local community.  The Great Lakeside Expo.  Coolamon Rotary was there with RFFA Australia and PDG Fred Loneragan and John Glassford on the stand.   There were many stands all representing what is available in the Wagga Wagga area for volunteers.  Demonstrations of medieval sword fighting these men in full armour, that they make themselves, and they were serious hits!.

The State Emergency Service and other volunteers were also present.  The Dragons Abreast team were very colourful in their bright shirts and took newbies as passenger paddlers on Lake Albert.  The young ladies form the dancing troupe in Wagga danced in the heat and showed us some real talent.  Bagpipers in full kilts, the choir and plenty to eat and drink.  Congratulations to Wagga Wagga Sunrise for an excellent day and I am sure that it will grow.

Coolamon Rotarians will recognise PP Max Chapman hard at work as always for Rotary.

Some photos from the day below:

Wagga Wagga Sunrise

BUCKET LIST

Let us go to Kansas this week in honour of our visiting GSE Team from Kansas in Rotary District 5690.

Kansas City Chiefs play where?

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING
STOP THE SERENGETI HIGHWAY

SERENGETI WATCH

Facebook Page

Websites of Interest

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #28

Coolamon Rotary News Bulletin #28

MONDAY MEETING

GUEST SPEAKER DR. DAVID JENKINS

We had 9 members and the following guests attend tonight.  Sandra West, Wayne Lewis, Susan Wingate-Pearse, Christine Lorraine.

Visiting Rotarian was PP Roger Quine PHF +1 from Junee.

Guest speaker Dr. David Jenkins from Ganmain.

Dr. David Jenkins from Charles Sturt University Wagga Wagga.

David kept us all amused with his passion worms!  David is a senior Research Fellow from the School of Animal and Veterinary Science at the Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga.  We had all just settled down from dinner and then David showed some excellent slides with some very interesting and “moving” descriptions of three main types of worms that David has been researching.  His tales of his work in the North Western province of Kenya left us all enthralled and it was just as well that we had finished our dinner!

Tapeworms are David’s specialty including the beef tapeworm Taenia Saginata which David studied in Kenya.  David had a great time in Kenya and showed us photos of this tape worm 4 metres long!  David went onto talk about the pork tapeworm (Taenia Solium) as well as hydatids (Echinococcus Granulosus).  Hydatids have been known to kill humans.  All in all a wonderful talk and one that left us all wanting more.  Any clubs who are looking for a great night invite David along.

We concluded the evening with a bit of fun with our S@A Garth Perkins, Garth made a special effort to be there tonight travelling from Gundagai to be with us, thanks Garth.  Leslie Weston proposed a vote of thanks to David and presented him with a well sterilised kangaroo leather money pouch.

Garth Perkin had us all in stitches even Dick Jennings was seen under the table!

President’s report

It was great to see another very good rollout for our meeting on Monday.  We were treated to a rather different type of talk after dinner, and I reckon it’s one that people won’t soon forget.  Our guest speaker was David Jenkins, a parasitologist who conducts research and teaches at CSU and lives in Ganmain.  David works primarily with parasitic worms that inhabit a rather unsavoury place in the body of mammals, namely the digestive tract.  The worms that David studies alternate between livestock hosts (e.g. sheep or cattle) and dogs or people.  Although the parasites are mainly a concern in developing nations, some of them are very real threats in Australia (e.g. sheep measles, which is actually an encysted parasite that forms hardened lumps in the muscles of sheep).  It’s a good thing David’s talk was AFTER dinner because some of the photos he showed were rather graphic.  I, for one, will never think lightly again about a fly visiting food during a cookout knowing now what it might have previously visited, complete with reproductive stages of some nasty little creatures!

Dick announced that Wayne Lewis, who has been a guest at several recent meetings, will be joining us as a member, so stay tuned for information on his induction.  Please remember our commitment to invite other potential new members to our meetings.  Sandra West and Merrin Glasgow will be joining us as Friends of Rotary, so we’ll have a formal induction for them as well.

Our next meeting will be a board meeting at the Sport and Rec Club (11 March), but all are welcome to attend.  Don’t forget to let Dick know if you’re planning to attend.

Yours in Rotary,

Paul

DIARY REMINDERS

Monday 11th March Business and Board Meeting Club catering.

Thursday, 14th March at 7.30 pm:   Rotary BINGO  – rostered on are  –  Henk Hulsman,  John Burns, Grahame Miles and John Glassford. (Reminder to Garth Perkin and Rod Jarrett you are both rostered on as a swap).

*Monday 18th March Guest Speaker Ross Sinclair RAAF Forest Hill RAAF base speaking on the modern day Air Force.   Gilbert catering.

During a Rotary Peace Forum in São Paulo, Brazil a group of children entertained us with Japanese “taiko” drum music. Their performance put a smile on everyone’s face, including RI Director José Antonio F. Antiório and Past RI Director José Alfredo Pretoni. I’m extremely pleased with the progress we’ve made this year promoting Peace Through Service.

サンパウロで開かれた第4420地区の平和フォーラムに出席いたしました。地元の日系人コミュニティーは日本文化を引き継ぎ、伝統を大切にしています。子供たちの太鼓パフォーマンスに場内全員が笑顔になりました。

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

The Check Up

A woman accompanied her husband to the doctor’s office. After his checkup, the doctor called the wife into his office alone. He said, “Your husband is suffering from a very severe stress disorder. If you don’t do the following, your husband will surely die.” “Each morning, fix him a healthy breakfast. Be pleasant at all times. For lunch make him a nutritious meal. For dinner prepare an especially nice meal for him. Don’t burden him with chores. Don’t discuss your problems with him, it will only make his stress worse. No nagging. And most importantly, make love with your husband several times a week. If you can do this for the next 10 months to a year, I think your husband will regain his health completely.” On the way home, the husband asked his wife. “What did the doctor say?” He said you’re going to die,” she replied.

The Patient

A patient awakened after a serious operation only to find herself in a room with all the blinds drawn. Why are all the blinds closed?” she asked her doctor. Well, the surgeon responded, “They’re fighting a huge fire across the street, and we didn’t want you to wake up and think the operation had failed.”

50 Shades of Grey

Four guys have been going to the same fishing trip for many years.
Two days before the group is to leave, Kevin’s wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn’t going.
Kevin’s mates are very upset that he can’t go, but what can they do.

Two days later the three mates get to the camping site only to find Kevin sitting there with a tent set up, firewood gathered, and dinner cooking on the fire.
“Shit ,Kevin how long you been here? How did you talk your missus into letting you go ?”

“Well, I’ve been here since last night. After dinner at home yesterday evening, I was sitting in my chair and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and said, ‘Guess who ?'”
I pulled her hands off, and she was wearing sexy brand new lingerie. She said had been reading ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ and she had a devilish look in her eyes!!!
She took my hand and led me to our bedroom. The room had candles and rose petals all over.
On the bed she had handcuffs, and ropes !
She told me to tie her up and cuff her to the bed, so I did.

And then she said, “Do whatever you want.”

So . . . . here I am !

ROTARY INFORMATION

Thank you New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg for donating US$100 million to support polio eradication. http://bit.ly/YJydDz

Mayor Bloomberg said, “We’re at a critical juncture in the global effort to end polio. If we’re going to achieve a polio-free world, we must act quickly and commit now to providing the resources needed.”

Learn how you can join the mayor and others in ending polio at:  www.endpolio.org.

Jon Deisher from Alaska in India last week on the latest NID National Immunisation Days.

BUCKET LIST

INDIA

The Taj Mahal by Jon Deisher

Rotary Club of Bombay

The Rotary Club of Bombay is one of the pioneers in India of the Rotary movement, devoted to the ideal of Fellowship through service. It was founded on March 19, 1929. The Club meets every Tuesday at 1.15 p.m. at the Taj Mahal Hotel, the very place where the founders had their first get-together…

CAUSES WORTH SUPPORTING

ROTARY LITERACY MONTH

ONE LAP TOP PER CHILD

We aim to provide each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop. To this end, we have designed hardware, content and software for collaborative, joyful, and self-empowered learning. With access to this type of tool, children are engaged in their own education, and learn, share, and create together. They become connected to each other, to the world and to a brighter future.

Nepal

These young boys on the outskirts of Kathmandu, Nepal work together at home. They spend as much time with their XOs there as they do at school, and parents embrace the change.

ONE LAP TOP WEB SITE

Websites of Interest